http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 08:10:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Elsewhere on the web" concerns...  (Read 951 times)
Dreamshadow
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: June 11, 2013, 11:17:55 PM »

Might I ask for some background on this feature that appears on just about every subpage?    I've tried looking at the links given there, but they always go to these somewhat... scummy is the best word I can think of... article aggrigator (sp) sites.  Several times I've gotten various malware from following those links.  Do they help the site in some way?

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 03:10:19 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on June 11, 2013, 11:17:55 PM

Might I ask for some background on this feature that appears on just about every subpage?    I've tried looking at the links given there, but they always go to these somewhat... scummy is the best word I can think of... article aggrigator (sp) sites.  Several times I've gotten various malware from following those links.  Do they help the site in some way?

Malware?  That's no good.  Those "Elsewhere on the web" sites are typically smaller sites like ours.  We all contribute to something called "Zergnet" which allows us to share content between us.  The stuff on those links are (supposedly) legit content.  If you are finding malware, I need to talk with Zergnet about those sites. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 10:47:43 PM »

I've only gotten a couple of malware warnings so far.  The sites they link to are pretty...SEO type sites.    I don't think they're doing you any favors (and I've never seen GT's articles anywhere else in those sites.)

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 01:17:29 AM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on June 30, 2013, 10:47:43 PM

I've only gotten a couple of malware warnings so far.  The sites they link to are pretty...SEO type sites.    I don't think they're doing you any favors (and I've never seen GT's articles anywhere else in those sites.)

We actually get a significant amount of trackable traffic from Zergnet, otherwise we wouldn't be doing it.

YMMV on the articles linked to. I've actually found a handful of interesting ones.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 03:05:55 PM »

icon_neutral

Was looking at the GT article for Forza, during which I was hoping to see pictures of automobiles, the 'Elsewhere on the web' section decided what I really wanted to see was a picture of a guy digging a scalpel into his eye.  While the image is something I'd rather not see in general, it's especially unpleasant for me to see right now given that a month ago my wife had a hole poked in her eye and we're in the middle of a long recovery process involving at least 4 surgeries this year alone to save her eyesight.
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 06:35:21 PM »

So Zergnet doesn't actually serve up context related results, they have their own algorithm. Sorry you got a hit that was unpleasant.

Mike Dunn
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 06:41:45 PM »

Just seems weird for the site to have age gates for video content but open floodgates for the ad network.
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 06:51:47 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on August 16, 2013, 06:41:45 PM

Just seems weird for the site to have age gates for video content but open floodgates for the ad network.

Well, it's highly possible that that particular image/article slipped through the cracks. The age gates on video are requested by publishers and we accommodate them (and agree with them). Zergnet results are generated dynamically on page load (and it isn't an ad network). Other sites that use Zergnet often see our articles come up and visit us, which is very nice for us and we've had a lot of success with it. I'm sure if we can provide specific details about an article that shows up on our site that we find inappropriate we can flag it to them. That said, they cycle off the rotation pretty quickly and it should be fine soon.

Mike Dunn
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 05:00:19 AM »

Doing a bit of digging, I believe this contained the graphic mentioned.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 09:02:52 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on August 17, 2013, 05:00:19 AM

Doing a bit of digging, I believe this contained the graphic mentioned.
Yep.  Sadly it is outside of our control beyond reporting it.  Thankfully there are two things about Zergnet that are true - articles don't survive long, and it brings new people to our site.  Shouldn't be there long...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: