http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 03:33:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zelda TP - not feeling the love (spoilers)  (Read 1228 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 29, 2007, 08:04:22 PM »

I am 45 hours into it and it is becoming really dull.  I just finished the sky dungeon so I think I am almost done but it is hard to work up the desire to play. 

I think I have come up with a couple things which are sucking the fun out of it for me.

1. The game is easy, way way easy.  I am not a great gamer.  I start games on 'easy', I use walkthroughs, and sometimes I will use cheat codes (although not often)  However even for me, TP is easy.  Since the game is so easy it has lead to a few things.

a. I don't care about upgrading my skills.  I have never needed more that the 'A' button to win a fight yet so why should I wander around looking for that stupid wolf?  I have never 'put away my sword' to lure an enemy close, nor anything else.

b. I don't care about finding heart pieces.  I have never dropped below half during a boss fight anyway so why explore every nook and cranny? 

c. I could not care less about keeping stocked with arrows, bombs, etc. because the appear all the time in the dungeons.  I don't care about upgrading my bomb bag or quiver because I know that anywhere that a bomb is needed nearby will be a jar with some or a chest.  Also I never need to shop - which leads to point #2

2. There is nothing worth buying. 

a. This kills the desire to explore.  I know of at least 3 locations with orange rupees but I don't care because there is nothing worth buying.   

b. This also kills the desire to do bug hunts because I read (see I do use walkthroughs) that all I get is a larger wallet.  Well if there is nothing to buy why do I need a bigger wallet?

c. I never turn into a wolf unless required (like for tight rope walking).  Wolf form sees buried treasure but I don't need any of that so there is no point. 

Wind Waker was easy too, but I love, love, love cell shaded graphics.  I put over 60 hours into DQ8 which was really basic mostly because I loved walking around looking at things.  Same with WW.  I just would walk around for the beauty of it.

TP is good looking but it isn't beautiful to me.  I never go to a new area and think "wow!"  I did that all the time in WW. 

How is the game holding up for others?  Are you still excited to fire it up when you get home?  Still anticipating the next dungeon?  Do you care if Agatha gets a few more bugs for her weird ball?

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 08:24:50 PM »

I finished the game at about sixty hours and have to say that I agree wholeheartedly with you. The game really started to drag in the middle and end portions and I had to force myself to finish it. What saved the game for me was the boss fights. Even though they were all relatively easy (even for the Zelda series), they were all so inventive and visually arresting that I really looked forward to them.

But you hit the nail on the head regarding exploration. After a while, the rewards for exploration are disproportionate to the amount of effort needed to complete it. Eventually I just stopped caring and pushed through to the end.

I also think you are spot on with regards to Wind Waker's visuals. The art direction was so amazing that it made it easy to overlook the game's flaws in order to see what the next dungeon or environment looked like. In TP, the graphics were nice, but the appeal wears off very quickly and the gameplay isn't strong enough to carry the title by itself.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 08:31:02 PM »

I agree with most of your criticisms but for me they weren't very important since on balance I loved the game overall.  FWIW, you are almost done.  The final two dungeons are much smaller than those that preceded it.  I'd say you have about 5-6 hours left to play. 

And, yeah, WW suffered from pretty much all of that stuff but I thought it had other flaws as well (poor pacing, too few dungeons) that made me like TP more though I loved both games. 

I just got done replaying Majora's Mask, this time with an emphasis on the optional content, and IMO it fixes almost all of the problems that TWW and TP suffered from (lack of funds, too easy, little incentive for exploring or doing sidequests).  I  hope future games use MM as a model on how to do optional content/sidequests. 
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 11:36:44 PM »

i loved the dungeons & bosses, but i definitely had more fun with okami, not to mention previous zeldas. for me, the game just lacked heart (never mind the other points you raise)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 01:19:10 AM »

The game is totally dragging for me too...

Spoiler for Hiden:
at the 6 hour mark.

TheMissingLink on PSN
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 01:45:52 AM »

I just finished the desert prison..I honestly don't feel that it is dragging.  I also haven't waisted time exploring so much, and more just following the story. 

Every Zelda game has the "hit boss 3 times" feel to it, so I wasn't expecting it to be any different this time.  Now I'm sure that it will probley get more repetitive the further I get towards the end.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 03:00:04 AM »

Quote from: weleavefossils on January 30, 2007, 01:45:52 AM

I just finished the desert prison..I honestly don't feel that it is dragging.  I also haven't waisted time exploring so much, and more just following the story. 

Every Zelda game has the "hit boss 3 times" feel to it, so I wasn't expecting it to be any different this time.  Now I'm sure that it will probley get more repetitive the further I get towards the end.

TP's flaws are much more in the exploration/sidequest area.  If you are focusing on dungeons then you likely won't have the same issues. In particular, from the fourth dungeon onward there are some interesting deviations from the formula in both the dungeons themselves as well as the boss fights. 
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 03:38:04 AM »

TP, the most overrated game of the year IMO.

I have pushed to the 6-7 hour mark, and have to virtually FORCE myself to even load it up.  I can't see where the love is on this one..

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Space Herpes
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 05:40:11 AM »

I've been enjoying the experience.  It's my first Zelda game, so it's all new to me. 

Spoiler for Hiden:
I am having troubles with the Sky Dragon.  I can knock it's armor off easily.  I can swing up to the sky. As I'm swinging from propeller things, it always knocks me off with fire.  I figured I'm supposed to get behind it to get the eye (like on the big fish), but I just can't get behind the thing.  Any advice?

See the Mr. Sticky Show!
http://one.revver.com/watch/261625
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 06:24:33 AM »

okay,so i am gonna piss in the wind,i liked it...finished it at 47 hrs....no where near as good as ocarina,majora,WW or LTTP...but i still found it a good game...the dungeons i thought were quite clever(thinking of the metal boots and the magnets here)....the spinner made me feel like marty mcfly from back to the future,i thought that was clever as well.....but even though the dungeons were quite taxing in parts...the bosses of all of them,were a piece of piss....

Spoiler for Hiden:
only gandondorf at the end did i have any real trouble(the sword fight...as i wasnt going in for the kill,LOL)

oh,and i used the wolf mainly to get about when i couldnt be bothered calling epona

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 01:34:22 PM »

Quote from: Space Herpes on January 30, 2007, 05:40:11 AM

I've been enjoying the experience.  It's my first Zelda game, so it's all new to me. 

Spoiler for Hiden:
I am having troubles with the Sky Dragon.  I can knock it's armor off easily.  I can swing up to the sky. As I'm swinging from propeller things, it always knocks me off with fire.  I figured I'm supposed to get behind it to get the eye (like on the big fish), but I just can't get behind the thing.  Any advice?

Spoiler for Hiden:
Just make sure you are swinging from one platform to another continuously.  You should outrun his breath attack.  Once he's out of breath he'll pause for a few moments which will be enough time for you to get behind him and latch onto him.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 01:57:06 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 30, 2007, 01:34:22 PM

Quote from: Space Herpes on January 30, 2007, 05:40:11 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Just make sure you are swinging from one platform to another continuously.  You should outrun his breath attack.  Once he's out of breath he'll pause for a few moments which will be enough time for you to get behind him and latch onto him.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Use Z lock to make targeting the next flying thing easy.  Also keep the z lock pushed down.  Releasing and hitting it again causes the lock to switch sides.  So climb to the first one, hit Z and Link will target the next one, hit B (keep Z down!) and Link will go to the next one, hit B again, and Link will go to the next one...  You don't have to get behind the dragon really, just wait until he stops breathing fire, then target his back and you will clawshot over to him.  Per usual you do that 2 times and he will modify his attack slightly (but I bet by that point you can figure out what to do) and then one more time and he is done!

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2007, 03:34:34 AM »

Finally finished.  That ending was just....well dumb.  I think the silliest thing was that Minda becomes this busty baby...unlike all the other inhabitants of the twilight light realm. ??? Why? Doe the game really need sex appeal?

Anyway, unlike WW I am just happy to be done with TP. 

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2007, 03:54:06 AM »

Quote from: farley2k on February 07, 2007, 03:34:34 AM

Finally finished.  That ending was just....well dumb.  I think the silliest thing was that Minda becomes this busty baby...

did someone say 'busty babe'?...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 07:00:14 AM »

Quote from: semiconscious on February 07, 2007, 03:54:06 AM

Finally finished.  That ending was just....well dumb.  I think the silliest thing was that Minda becomes this busty baby...

jeez is that what the sounds like when they are all talking???...i think i would go crazy after a few hours of hearing that

anyway,what about TP's busty *cough* babe....Telma the barmaid????

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2007, 03:26:38 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on February 07, 2007, 07:00:14 AM

Quote from: semiconscious on February 07, 2007, 03:54:06 AM

jeez is that what the sounds like when they are all talking???...i think i would go crazy after a few hours of hearing that

anyway,what about TP's busty *cough* babe....Telma the barmaid????

Every time they cut to a shot of Link after Telma says something, I picture him thinking, "Look at those boobs."

I'm a huge Zelda fan, I'm only just after the water temple.  I have to say I am forcing myself to play more than looking forward to playing.  I'm enjoying it okay, but not loving it.  I hadn't thought of the lack of items to buy as being the problem, but that makes a lot of sense.  In most RPGs, I'm a scavenger more than a shopper.  I never buy health potions, only use what I find when I'm out.  But in the Zelda games, there are always useful items in the shops.  This time it's been the good shield and the water bombs (though I know there's another bomb coming), and once you buy the shield, you never look back.  I am enjoying the story, though, but I'm about to finish the bug hunt, and it's raising a big "ehh" in me, too.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 03:31:42 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: