http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 09:43:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yu-Gi-Oh!: Nightmare Troubadour - Help!  (Read 864 times)
Scott
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2006, 12:19:06 PM »

After the previous thread, and seeing that Yu-Gi-Oh is fun, I started playing.  And then I promptly started getting my butt kicked.

How the heck do you win a duel with the crappy starter deck you get?  I'm getting blasted.  I get a monster out, and then the opposing player gets a much better monster out with special effects, and all these other cards that really screw me up.  

So, any basic tips on Yu-Gi-Oh?   How can I start building experience to buy more cards, and what decks to try to start?

Thanks.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 12:37:00 PM »

Go to bed early!

The duelists get tougher as the day goes on, so if you're having trouble, just fight the early ones and sleep as soon as it will let you.

Also, you might want to go through all the beginner puzzles in the card shop.  Not only will it help teach you some basic strategy, you'll get $50 for each one, enough to get you a few more booster packs to strengthen your starter deck.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 12:39:49 PM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"
Go to bed early!

I never, ever thought that I'd see that line in any game hints. Apparently I was wrong.  :lol:

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 12:55:16 PM »

Also, you might want to go through all the beginner puzzles in the card shop. Not only will it help teach you some basic strategy, you'll get $50 for each one, enough to get you a few more booster packs to strengthen your starter deck.

Did all the beginner puzzles (using gamefaqs for a couple).  The last puzzle I can only 'draw' on, so I can't complete that and get enough for another starter deck.

I've also tried sleeping with no luck.  Haven't been tired enough.  I did almost win one duel, but lost the turn before I could win.  Frustrating.  Then I got blasted by someone using a fusion deck as well, which I'm not close to having.

---
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 01:59:09 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"
Also, you might want to go through all the beginner puzzles in the card shop. Not only will it help teach you some basic strategy, you'll get $50 for each one, enough to get you a few more booster packs to strengthen your starter deck.

Did all the beginner puzzles (using gamefaqs for a couple).  The last puzzle I can only 'draw' on, so I can't complete that and get enough for another starter deck.

I've never played this, though the thread, as brief as it is, has me tempted. I'll note that Wonderpug is saying earn money and buy boosters where you are saying you can't afford another starter.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 02:15:10 PM »

Hmmmm . . . try dueling only the worst duelists until you build your card stock up . . . stick to Mokuba and Tea . . . stay away from Bakura (he can still beat me every now and then).  I know the early packs have Pot of Greed and Graceful Charity you need both of them (in every deck you will build) . . . focus on getting those first and any high attack monsters and just try to "beatdown" your way through the early duelists . . .
There is also a trick where that helps you get specific cards when you are buying packs . . . you can find this and the packlists online.

Also . . . what ratio of monsters:spells:traps are in your deck.
Early on it should probably be something like 20:15:5.

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 03:09:57 PM »

My resident expert says to start with Tea Gardner

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 03:26:35 PM »

Thanks for the names of people to try.  My next question is how to find these guys?  I can scroll around the map a bunch, and find various people, but after a duel they seem to disappear.  Can I only challenge them once a day?

---
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006, 04:03:11 PM »

The resident expert says to make sure that you register Tea Gardner (and others) as duelists when given the option, as this makes them easier to find. From what I understand, the option to do that will sometimes appear after a match.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2006, 04:08:20 PM »

Quote from: "Misguided"
The resident expert says to make sure that you register Tea Gardner (and others) as duelists when given the option, as this makes them easier to find. From what I understand, the option to do that will sometimes appear after a match.

I like the term "the resident expert" rather than "my 7 year old", it helps us feel less like fools. slywink

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2006, 04:10:25 PM »

Thanks for the names of people to try.  My next question is how to find these guys?  I can scroll around the map a bunch, and find various people, but after a duel they seem to disappear.  Can I only challenge them once a day?

No . . . you can duel them as often as you can find them.  They usually move to another location after your duel . . .

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2006, 02:53:52 AM »

Quote from: "coopasonic"

I've never played this, though the thread, as brief as it is, has me tempted. I'll note that Wonderpug is saying earn money and buy boosters where you are saying you can't afford another starter.

If you need a hint for the last puzzle let me know.

I picked the game up tonight and am having a lot of fun with it. Tea was the first person I ran across and I crushed her, a couple others beat the snot out of me including "Jon"(?) 3 times then I lucked out on draws and beat him solidly. I think I've bought 5 or so boosters now and have a good start on a brute force creature deck since the limited card selection doesn't give me much else.

FUn little game, a lot like M:TG though different enough to be a new challenge.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2006, 01:55:03 PM »

Quote from: "coopasonic"
Quote from: "Misguided"

I like the term "the resident expert" rather than "my 7 year old", it helps us feel less like fools. slywink

Actually he'll be 10 in a couple of weeks slywink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: