http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 06:33:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yourself! Fitness  (Read 5053 times)
Jancelot
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2004, 04:29:06 PM »

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/245463.asp

Anyone using this program?  Seems pretty nifty and the reviews are pretty positive.  I stumbled across it in Best Buy the other day.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 04:34:16 PM »

Hmmm... those reviews seem a little too positive given the normal level of intelligence on EB's site, but I suppose anything that gets people off their asses is good.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 04:43:22 PM »

Good observation.  I couldn't only surmise that older people are probably using this title which filters out the smacktards that usually post reviews.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 04:56:45 PM »

Regardless of whether it's good or not, it's a great idea.  Kinda forcasting the whole convergence of PCs and consoles, but this time instead of gaming convergence it's applications.
Vindel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 05:19:33 PM »

Ok...poke fun of me....now hahaha Well I did pick this up for myself and the wife. I have to say for a  home workout program its pretty darn good. First you set up your profile. The AI wants to know what kind of shape your in so it puts you through some tests. Once thats done the AI sets up a weekly workout program so you can meet your goal weight or what ever you tell the AI you perfer. There are many routines you can choose from. ( Weightloss, upper body stregthening, lower body strengthening, yoga and palities err spelling ) And to make it more interesting there are levels and new music to unlock as you progress with your workout.  But if you don't want to make a profile you can go straight to the workout section. You set up how long you wish to work out what kind of music and what kind of  weights and then start your  workout. But if you do this not all the  music and levels are unlocked until  you make a profile and unlock them.  Also at the end of each workout it lets you know how many calories you burned.

Now playing:
PC
Forsaken World

Xbox 360
CoD BO

PS3
Uncharted 3 MP beta
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004, 05:46:03 PM »

Personally, I prefer the gym.... but I would never make fun of anyone who bought/used this.

I actually think it's pretty cool.

Over 500 excercises using "what you have available to you" plus what I am assuming is a relatively intelligent nutrition plan....

Excellent idea.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2004, 06:52:40 PM »

Wonder if there's a nude cheat for it  biggrin

Does look like a potentially mighty useful thing and certainly a great idea.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2004, 06:59:23 PM »

I think it is a great idea actually.  Certainly much more fun, interactive, and varied than your basic workout DVD.  If I found a good deal on it, I'd probably try it out as an occasional gym alternative.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Space Herpes
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2004, 03:02:49 PM »

Customized meal planning: As part of the Yourself!Fitness program, Maya offers nutritional advice with over 4,500 recipes, preparation instructions and shopping lists to make eating right an easy part of any lifestyle.

Brilliant!  I hope this title sells well.  The ability to vary your routine is definately a huge plus.  Tapes get boring after a while and the same music over and over is nerve grating.  Definately something I'll look into.

SH

See the Mr. Sticky Show!
http://one.revver.com/watch/261625
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2004, 06:06:09 PM »

I'd never buy this (I just enjoy running; this would not be my thing)

But kudos for them putting it out.  Anything that helps people put down the doughnut and get into shape is a good thing.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
maggie-chow
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2004, 04:24:31 AM »

I have the game, wife uses it.  She goes to the gym, but this gives her a simalcrum of a personal trainer.  

Wish there were more choices for a trainer than just Maya, though.

"I spill my drink!"    [Currently playing: Civ IV (PC), Romance of the Three Kingdoms X (PS2)]
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2004, 04:35:35 AM »

Quote from: "maggie-chow"
I have the game, wife uses it.  She goes to the gym, but this gives her a simalcrum of a personal trainer.  

Wish there were more choices for a trainer than just Maya, though.

you just wanted to use the word simulacrum. slywink

I might consider renting this one. I've got a damned fine gym workout, but having a relatively cheap 2nd opinion on the weight loss / upper body workout can only help.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Draco
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2004, 04:34:40 AM »

Quote from: "Purge"
you just wanted to use the word simulacrum. slywink

Great Baldur's Gate 2 spell!  biggrin
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2004, 07:03:18 PM »

I noticed this on EBGames front page so I clicked on it to see the buzz.  I know the reviews are generally from 12-year olds (and there are plenty of those), but some of them were really helpful.  But I got a chuckle out of this one:

WAXIN IT
Since I bought this game my right forearm is busting out... I really recommend it for anyone going for a pop-eye the sailor look. Its a little unbalanced though cause it seems to only get your right arm moving over an over in the same motion... Maybe I'm doing it wrong...

I'm still thinking of picking this one up for my core exercises.
maggie-chow
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2004, 04:42:24 AM »

That guy probably has the nude cheat.  I heard somewhere it's a Gameshark code?  I don't have a Gameshark.

"I spill my drink!"    [Currently playing: Civ IV (PC), Romance of the Three Kingdoms X (PS2)]
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2004, 05:12:05 AM »

i think this is a great idea!

i first considered using the xbox for exercise when i found myself sitting for 30 hours straight, in total addiction, playing morrowind, with a whole lot of 8 and 12 hours sessions in between.  i got DDR and promised myself that i'd play m-wind for an hour or two, then switch to DDR for long enough to get winded, then go back.  that way i wouldn't die of a blood clot in my leg, so the theory went.

well, i couldn't figure out how to get DDR to go slow enough to learn how to do it.   you know how you can't think, "oh i have to attack, that means the A button"... you just have to keep doing it until there's no thought involved.  it's the same with ddr, you just have to see the arrow and your foot has to do it.  i couldn't find a  mode that was slow enough for me to be able to teach my feet how to react.

this sounds like an easier alternative to that, so i'm interested.  i don't want to go the way of that CNN reporter or those people on long airplane flights because they sat with their legs bent for too long.... it's a thought!  i know there are more people out there like me - think about it!

and good luck,

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
maggie-chow
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2004, 03:18:27 AM »

Yourself Fitness is definitely easy to use.  You will set up your fitness profile at the beginning with a 20-minute fitness test.  Then you can schedule your workout for whenever you want.  You can also take an improptu session that lasts 15, 30, or 45 minutes long.  I'm pretty sure that all of it is tracked.  There are also recipes if you wanted a specific weight-loss diet plan.

Vesper
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2004, 04:23:27 AM »

Quote from: "mytocles"
well, i couldn't figure out how to get DDR to go slow enough to learn how to do it.   you know how you can't think, "oh i have to attack, that means the A button"... you just have to keep doing it until there's no thought involved.  it's the same with ddr, you just have to see the arrow and your foot has to do it.  i couldn't find a  mode that was slow enough for me to be able to teach my feet how to react.

DDR is fantastic exercise;  I use it for that very purpose.  You're right though, you have to get the hang of it.  I'd recommend going through the lesson mode first, and then do songs on Beginner difficulty.  Make sure to pick SLOW songs (Beats Per Minute ratings are listed on each.)  I would consider 150bpm a max until you get the hang of things.  My only other piece of advice is that if you get off track, stop, look several notes ahead, and pick up there.  Don't try to get back on track with the very next arrow.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2004, 05:16:52 AM »

thanks, VESPER!

i'll try that.  i think we didn't really give it a long enough time to find all the easiest stuff and go from there.  i really wanted to make it work, but had gotten discouraged and put it aside.  i'll follow your advice and see if we can do better that way.

thanks for the help!

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2004, 12:48:52 PM »

I've been interested in this for a while, I think it would be a great supplement to a regular exercise routine and would come in handy when you don't want to drive to the gym

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2004, 12:10:01 AM »

I bought this last night for my wife (and myself).

Some comments...

I've exercised a lot in my life (3-hour marathons, qualified for the Hawaii Iron Man triathalon, etc.), but have been horrible at keeping fit over the last year. It's gotten to the point where I'm ten pounds overweight and feeling cruddy. So I'm coming at this thing from someone who has been in pretty good shape in the past but is in pretty bad shape right now.

Last night, we each did a short exercise routine to set up profiles in about 20 minutes, and this afternoon I tried my first real workout.

The 30-minute workout today was unexpectedly tough. My recommended focus was cardio for the day, and there was a heavy aerobics content to the first workout. I've never done aerobics and was constantly struggling. Lots of jumping, kicking, and stepping all over the place. I must have looked hilarious.

The program got a bit repetitive--lots and lots of jumping jacks, side steps, and hops, but overall they change the exercises enough to create variety. I'll reserve judgement on this aspect until I try a few more workouts.

There is a female touch to everything, from the aerobics focus, to the graphics, to the exercises, but it is still worthwhile exercise for men. The woman that leads the exercises is conservatively dressed but hot nonetheless, but you don't have much spare energy to appreciate it. I bet you could get hundreds of men to work themselves into top shape if you had an unlockable strip tease mode.

Some of the exercises are quite easy and others were much more difficult. There also was too high of a load on my shoulders, which were dead by the end of the workout, so I think the program could do a better job of working muscles more evenly. Overall, however, they do a decent job of balancing things out, considering that they can't see what you're doing.

A couple of times during the workout she asks how you're doing, and you select a response from things like "can't keep up" or "too easy". I selected "too easy" once and I think I pissed her off. She nearly killed me with the next sequence.

I didn't even bother with the calorie counter diet thingie. There is no way I would ever get so organized as to do something like that, and I'm only looking to drop about ten pounds.

So far, I'd recommend this as a supplement to an exercise routine for men. I'm going to use it for three of my planned six weekly workouts, but may drop down to twice a week if it gets boring. Assuming of course that I can keep up the exercise routine.

I'll try to post more after I get another week or so into it.

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2004, 12:37:16 AM »

hi,

can anyone tell me whether this "Maya" game would work for people like seniors or people with disabilities - ie, who's tried the easiest and how easy was it?

thanks,

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2004, 02:51:48 PM »

How about for guys not looking to lose weight?  I'm in the gym 3 days a week, but I'd like a good midsection routine at home.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2004, 04:19:17 PM »

Quote from: "Jancelot"
How about for guys not looking to lose weight?  I'm in the gym 3 days a week, but I'd like a good midsection routine at home.

easy enough:
Straight crucnhes
side crunches
air bycycling(on your back feet in air and pedal!)
leg lifts

Do three sets of these with 20-30 of each.  Dont stop between exercises.  If your just starting working out try 2 sets of each.  Add repetitions as needed.  Try not to let your feet ever touch the ground if able as well.  
It hurts at first...alot.  Best midsection routine I've ever done/heard of.  yo udrop a size of your waist in one week easy...I lost 3 in a month

morlac00 on PSN
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2004, 04:22:26 PM »

easy enough:
Straight crucnhes
side crunches
air bycycling(on your back feet in air and pedal!)
leg lifts

Do three sets of these with 20-30 of each.  Dont stop between exercises.  If your just starting working out try 2 sets of each.  Add repetitions as needed.  Try not to let your feet ever touch the ground if able as well.  
It hurts at first...alot.  Best midsection routine I've ever done/heard of.

morlac00 on PSN
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2004, 04:30:41 PM »

can anyone tell me whether this "Maya" game would work for people like seniors or people with disabilities - ie, who's tried the easiest and how easy was it?

I don't think you can get "Maya" to perform at that low a level, but you could still just follow along as best you can.  Even if she's stepping much further than you, or hopping while you're just raising on your toes or something, it might still be worthwhile.  You can opt out of the pushups, squats, etc. during the fitness test.

How about for guys not looking to lose weight? I'm in the gym 3 days a week, but I'd like a good midsection routine at home.

Before each workout, you set a focus for the day: cardio, weight loss, upper/core/lower body strength, or flexibility.  If you choose "core" to work out your midsection, you'll get more crunches, V balance thingies, or rolling thingies (a lot of the game's exercises are new to me).  The overall direction of the game is aerobics, so you'll still have sidesteps, jumping jacks, etc. as a warmup, and it won't be just abs for the workout.

So far my girlfriend and I have been pretty impressed with the program.  The first few workouts were too easy, but the "how was the difficulty" calibration questions are working and my current workouts are pushing me just the right amount.

The strength workouts aren't good enough to replace weight training, but for cardio and overall fitness it's much more motivating and less boring than an exercise bike or a treadmill.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2004, 04:39:42 PM »

I don't do straight crunches on a flat surface anymore because they're bad for your neck/back.  I work my core once a week at the gym and have been doing these exercises at home 2 days:

Inverted hanging cruches (gravity boots - straight/side no contact or stress on the back)
Leg lifts / scissors
Bridge

I was just looking for some more exercises from yoga/pilates/etc.  Thanks though. smile
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2004, 04:44:33 PM »

hi,

thanks for all the info on this game - i'm definitely going to give it a shot.  

if it's not working for anyone, so much you want to be rid of it, either send me an email or check out my soon-to-be-posted Trading Forum post.  my funds may be limited, but my available trades aren't, i have a little of everything.

thanks again!

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2004, 08:05:34 PM »

hi,

thanks,

There was no pre-stretch in my workout yesterday, many of the transitions are fast, and there aren't enough cautions about how you can hurt yourself doing a particular exercise. I would look for videos made specifically for senior citizens, if such a thing exists.

Not sure on the disabilities aspect. I would think it would depend on the particular disability. Lots of standing, jumping, and moving around though, at a pretty quick pace.

rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2004, 07:33:44 PM »

I just bought this today. With my stay-at-home Dad routine, I've been very discouraged about how hard it is to carve out time to exercise. And it's only gonna get harder now that the winter months are upon us. I read some good reviews of this at Game Rankings and it sounded like the perfect solution.

Off to give it a try!
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2004, 10:16:39 PM »

hi,

i'm curious if anyone has gotten sick of it yet?  is it like a lot of exercise stuff, it's great for a month - and then you need to put more and more willpower in to want to do it?

thanks,

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2004, 11:01:16 PM »

Well,
I did have a schedule going, but haven't been back to it for about a week.

So I fired it up yesterday to get a workout in, and was greeted with a "we need to do a better job of sticking to our schedule" type comment  Tongue

I see myself not sticking to the schedule, but instead using it to get a quick workout in every once in awhile.

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2004, 09:58:42 PM »

Has anybody beat this game yet?

I have gotten a little sick of it. But I mixed the routine up a little. I ride my bike, then I turn the xbox on and let maya start with a 15 upper body workout.  The first 7 min are usually just warming up which I do not need, so during that I do sit ups. When she gets in to the weights I join in. This has worked for a little over a week now.
Maybe I will mix it up again next week who knows.
maggie-chow
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2004, 11:24:19 PM »

How do you unlock new workout areas, or other things?  Just by working out on a regular basis?  Anybody unlock a new area?

crumsteel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2004, 01:51:11 AM »

I unlocked 1 new workout area and a 1 new music choice just before my first fitness exam.

I still wish I could put my own music in.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: