http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 11:06:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your top 5 / 7 / 10 (whatevs) downloadable games of 2007  (Read 2482 times)
depward
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 11, 2007, 05:51:17 PM »

Gamasutra put out their list, which I don't necessarily agree with - http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=16568 - so I thought I'd ask here and see what people think are the top 5 (or 7 or 10, however many you want to list!) downloadable games of 2007.  Here are mine (in order):

1)  Warhawk.  Debatable, since it also had a retail release, but yep, #1 for me.

2)  Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo.  I had dreams of playing this on PSN / Live and they came true.  Though, sorta disappointed that, at least for PSN, there isn't a whole heck of a lot of action on the multiplayer side of things lately...

3)  Everyday Shooter.  This shooter is amazingly awesome.  Love how it's centered around music and every stage is drastically different.  Also includes unlockables that can be unlocked by playing and getting points, which only helps improve replayability.  And it was a score at $5 when it was that price-point.

5)  flOw.  Never has a game been so relaxing and just so chill to play for me.  Also, sometimes I just load it up and have it on the start screen due to the music and visuals.

6)  High Velocity Bowling.  Takes advantage of the SIXAXIS motion perfectly.  It's obviously Sony's answer to Wii Bowling... and, personally, is a better bowling game.

7)  Worms.  Had fun with it right when it was released... but haven't touched it since.

Cool  Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.  This is specifically the PSN version.  That's due to not only being able to play it on the PS3... but having the option to put it on my PSP and play it that way.  Now, I'm a huge, huge, huge Castlevania fan... but for whatever reason, I can't seem to particularly enjoy this Castlevania game.

9)  Bomberman.  Right when I downloaded it, I thought this was going to be the kind of downloadable games.  But, for whatever reason, after playing it for a couple of days it lacked OOMPH.

10)  Calling All Cars.  Simple fun.  Was fun to play right when it came out due to a lot of people playing... but not many are playing currently.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 05:52:00 PM »

I downloaded Bioshock via Steam....does that count?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 06:07:16 PM »

Man, depward, a lot of your "favs" seem to be not very favored by you.

I love that Gamasutra has Pac-Man CE as their favorite downloadable game.  I loved that game and kept trying to hype it here.  It has the same addiction quality as Geometry Wars, IMO.

There were better games than Jetpack Refuelled, though.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 06:16:04 PM »

I play a lot of Carcassonne.

I downloaded Psychonauts on the Xbox last night and started that up.  It seems fun but it's 4:3 instead of widescreen.  Oh well...
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 06:36:04 PM »

1. Warhawk - again, like depward, this is debatable.  But I downloaded it.  So there.
2. Everyday Shooter - I usualy don't like these types of games, but this one is different.  So amazing.
3. High Velocity Bowling - I'm digging it so far.
4. Gripshift - PS3 version came out early, early January, download it for the 360 on 12/12.  It's like a car platforming game.
5. Flow - When I don't feel playing competitively playing a game, I'll just go with the flow...

Disappointments:

Calling All Cars - what a simple, hyped-to-hell game.  Nobody plays anymore, and there's a reason why.
Locoroco Cocoreccho! - Let's take an awesome game, change the way it plays, allow no saving, and have a big map where you need to keep track of many, many little Roco's.

We've got Sensible Soccer coming out (apparently) in December, and I expect that one to be pretty cool.

TheMissingLink on PSN
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 06:56:10 PM »

Not sure how may of these came out this year but here goes.

1- Pac Man Championship Addition- They took an old formula and made it better in every way possible.  Once I start playing this I usually end up playing for at least an hour. 

2- Settlers of Cataan - A great board game that is translated perfectly. The AI is actually petty good at the higher levels.  Which addressed the biggest fear I had about the game.

3- Small Arms - It's not Smash Brothers, but it's still pretty damn good. 

4- Calling All Cars - Fun multiplayer game.  Too bad nobody seems to be playing it anymore.

5- Centipede/Millipede - Centipede was the 1st video game I ever played.  So I had to get this one.

I am not going to count Warhawk because I bought the retail version.  Also at $39.99 it SHOULD be better than  a $10-15 arcade game. 
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 07:05:21 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 07:02:41 PM »

Quote from: warning on December 11, 2007, 06:16:04 PM

I downloaded Psychonauts on the Xbox last night and started that up.  It seems fun but it's 4:3 instead of widescreen.  Oh well...

That's why I prefer the PC version which supports 720p. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 07:05:42 PM »

I downloaded Carcassone because it was free.... beyond that nada other than retail games.  But since Warhawk was included in the OP list, then:

1) The Witcher
2) Half Life 2 Orange Box
3) Tomb Raider Anniversary

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 07:06:49 PM »

i haven't bought many downloaded games, but i've played a lot of the demos.

1.  everyday shooter.  while i liked gw, es is a lot more fun for me.  great mix of music and gameplay

2.  marble blast ultra.  i usually end up sucking with these types of puzzle games, and i haven't beat this one, but i always love playing them. 

3.  hexic hd.  sure, it's the oldest xbla game around, but i loved the strategy involved.

4.  assault heroes.  i should have liked this more than i did.  great graphics and fun gameplay.

QP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 07:10:33 PM »

Carcasonne, Catan (assuming you mean XBLA type titles and not full PC titles, in which case I'd have to say Bioshock or Orange Box).

Also there's a hack and slash coming out tomorrow hopefully that will make this list shortly.

-QP
Currently Playing:
[PC]Oblivion Again (OOO this time)
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 07:11:47 PM »

Quote from: QP on December 11, 2007, 07:10:33 PM

Also there's a hack and slash coming out tomorrow hopefully that will make this list shortly.

More info please.   icon_biggrin

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 07:12:07 PM »

All of these are XBL Arcade titles:

1) Puzzle Quest - By far my favorite of the downloadable titles this year for me!

2) Carcasonne - Great for both solo and multi fun!

3) Settlers of Catan - Ditto!

4) Symphony of the Night - Nice re-release of a fantastic game.

5) Pac-Man CE - WOW. Takes a classic arcade game and makes it feel totally fresh again!

6) Bomberman Live - Also great, a fully-featured Bomberman title on XBLA? Awesome!

7) Worms - This franchise is great, and I loved getting a release on XBLA for it

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 07:12:33 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on December 11, 2007, 07:11:47 PM

Quote from: QP on December 11, 2007, 07:10:33 PM

More info please.   icon_biggrin

Yeah, come on and dish out the details, yo! icon_biggrin

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2007, 07:15:37 PM »

Arkadian Warriors
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007, 09:34:03 PM »

My favorites are Puzzle Quest and Exit from XBLA.  Arkadian Warriors looks like a lot of fun, so that will probably go on the list as well.  There are some p/reviews for Arkadian Warriors here.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007, 09:39:07 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on December 11, 2007, 06:36:04 PM

We've got Sensible Soccer coming out (apparently) in December, and I expect that one to be pretty cool.

next wednesday for sensible soccer,apparently

mad tracks was one of my favourite downloadable games this year,online was very fun...especially the car football(soccer)games

warhawk was so-so....as was calling all cars

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2007, 09:42:47 PM »

Are we just talking 360 and PS3?  If not, I'm thinking just about all the Wii VC games I dl'd this year:

Super Mario 1, 2, 3 and 64
Zelda: Link to the Past
Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Super Metroid
Street Fighter 2
Castlevania IV
R-Type
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2007, 10:35:29 PM »

Puzzle Quest, hands down.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2007, 10:38:04 PM »

Quote from: warning on December 11, 2007, 06:16:04 PM

I play a lot of Carcassonne.

The milk is delicious.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2007, 12:44:22 AM »

I liked Warhawk, Tekken 5 Ressurection, Everyday Shooter, Calling all Cars, Super Puzzle Fighter 2, Carcassone, Settlers, Worms, and Speedball 2. Why am I the only person to love that game? It is great, dammit, and deserves more recognition. Especially since it was designed over a decade ago and rivals any modern sports game.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2007, 03:20:01 AM »

Only got a few Arcade titles but Pac-Man CE and Bomberman Live! were well worth the money.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2007, 03:43:49 AM »

From what I read in the Gamastura article these are new downloadable IP's, so that would explain why games like Castlevania:SotN aren't on the list. Since getting my X360 a few months ago I've downloaded a number of the free and trial arcade games. Other than SotN and few unique games like Carcasonne, I really haven't found anything that matches the classics like LoZ: Link to the Past, Super Metroid and Gunstar Heroes that are available on VC. So here's how I'd rate my top 5 if classics are allowed.

LoZ:LttP (VC)
Castlevania:SotN (XBLA)
Super Metroid (VC)
Gunstar Heroes (VC)
Carcasonne (XBLA)

My top 5 Runner ups would be:

Super Mario World (VC)
legend of the Mystical Ninja (VC)
Phantasy Star 4 (Gametap)
Donkey Kong Country (VC)
Prince of Persia (XBLA)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 10:40:08 PM by kronovan » Logged
nymanium
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2007, 07:33:34 AM »

I'll have to check out Pac-Man CE, didn't really think much of it when it came out, and I'm hoping Arkadian is good, I'm hoping it has the same kind of cartoony charm that Fate did. My favorites would have to be Carcasonne and Catan, the only 2 I really go back to play every so often, though I did pick up Puzzle Fighter I didn't play it much.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: