http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 02:08:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your Skill Level At Games  (Read 1744 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: April 04, 2007, 03:58:44 PM »

There are certainly people who seem to excel at nearly every game they play.  Seriously, PapaSmurf seems to be good at every game there is. JarrodHK as well (though in my experience not quite as good as PS).

I find that I'm good at a lot of games but not great at any particular one.

I beat Ninja Gaiden which seems to be quite a feat to many.  I'm |-| that close to finishing God of War on God Mode (though I quit from frustration) and seem to be a better than average Gears of War player- though by no means elite.

So where do you end up in the spectrum typically?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 04:04:53 PM by ATB » Logged
Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 04:01:17 PM »

Usually I'm at a top level of PC gaming. On FPS I'm always at the top of the scoreboard, though for RTS I'm generally not as good, though I can still pick up the ropes and become very profficient. As for console games, I generally suck at them. Don't know what the big difference is, but the last game I was good at was Halo 2.  icon_eek

I think it has to do with the amount of time you can spend gaming. If you spend more time gaming, and work hard to improve your skill, then you'll be better. That is why I think I'm better at PC games over console games.

matt "mattc0m" richards
new project: GamesCast TV: eSports Television
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 04:04:44 PM »

I have fun with good games in single play mode.....but usually if the game has a multi aspect to it, once I get online with the game I see how bad I am.......Which is fine. I know my gaming limitations. Its why I like MMORPG's so much. Its not twitch or button mashing.......Its not steady hands aiming.......all of which I'm not that good at. Its not that I'm not co-ordinated either.

I was always sports minded, combat trained military, could always handle myself in bar-brawl, but games.........well thats a different story.

Gimme a great MMORPG, with a good group.....I'm in gaming heaven.

Put me in a death-match with some shooter and I'm everyone's bitch. paranoid

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 04:11:07 PM »

Honestly, I'm pretty awful at most games.   I don't have the attention-span or patience for MMORPG's, don't have the twitch reflexes for console shooters or many action games, and don't have the tactical smarts for most strategy games.  I used to be pretty decent at PC FPS games, but that skill has certainly diminished with lack of practice.  I'll usually play games on Easy mode if given the choice, and am perfectly fine with that.  I can certainly enjoy a game without needing it to be a huge challenge.  Maybe that's why I tend to enjoy slower paced RPG games more that anything else.  smile

Oddly, I'm pretty good at Guitar Hero.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 04:14:19 PM »

i am definelty somewhere in the middle...some games i am the worse in the world at,even though i like the games(GRAW and rainbow 6 vegas im looking at you)...some games i feel as though i am decent enough(COD2 and 3)...other games i am not really bothered as long as i am having a good time(definelty Burnout revenge.star wars battlefront games)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 04:16:42 PM »

Depends on the kind of game. I'm often good enough to feel happy with my competence in most single-player stuff, but multiplayer, I tend to suck with few exceptions. I'm great at a few titles in multiplayer, but otherwise mostly average.

Guitar Hero is probably the game I'm as good or better at than most any other game I've ever played.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
unbreakable
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 04:17:49 PM »

I'm generally really good at FPS, especially multiplayer.  RTS I've always felt I suck at, even though I find it fun.  TBS I'm decent at, although not great (unless it's like D&D or something).  CRPG I'm really good at (either computer or console).

Platformers I'm really good at, although I don't like 'twitch' gaming so much.  I was never a big fan of Sonic, for example.  Fighting games I don't care for anymore... memorizing pages of special moves and being able to recall them in a split second requires more effort than I care to put into a game now.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 04:25:36 PM »

Varies widely on genre.  Overall, I'm good to very good for most genres but there are exceptions:

I'm awesome at stealth games.  I have to play most of them on hard or higher to make it even remotely challenging.

However, I suck at RTS games.  I just don't think fast enough and I guess I have a bit of ADD with them because I find I often just sit back and watch too much.  My wife says I suck at multi-tasking so that might have to do with my difficulties with the genre.  Consequently I stick to single player campaigns and the ability to either slow down the game or pause and give orders is a huge plus to me.

I also have trouble with hardcore action games like Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden.  I can get through God of War on Normal no problem but if it gets much harder I get frustrated quick.  I just can't remember huge numbers of combos off the top of my head.  Probably also why I suck at fighting games. 

Most puzzle games are impossible for me.  I can't even play minesweeper without spending 5 minutes analyzing each and ever block and the possible permutations it holds.  However I'm thinking of giving Puzzle Quest a try hoping that my mad RPG skillz can compensate for my woeful puzzle skills. 

unbreakable
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 04:28:37 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 04, 2007, 04:25:36 PM

Most puzzle games are impossible for me.  I can't even play minesweeper without spending 5 minutes analyzing each and ever block and the possible permutations it holds.  However I'm thinking of giving Puzzle Quest a try hoping that my mad RPG skillz can compensate for my woeful puzzle skills. 

If you liked Bejeweled, it's essentially an RPG twist on that game (for the most part, since capturing creatures is different, but optional).
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 04:31:52 PM »

I'd consider myself a little above average overall.  I don't spend the time on any one game these days to reallly become good at it.  My friends have commented on the fact that I tend to pick up new/different styles of games very quickly.

ATB- Papasmurff also has the advantage of being 12 years younger than I am... that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 04:34:25 PM »

In regards to videogames in general, this picture pretty much sums up where I stand:

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
warning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 04:40:20 PM »

I'm okay at most games.  I rarely play multiplayer as it takes me too long to learn maps, techniques, etc to be really good.  Also my reflexes aren't quite what they used to be.

But I'm tenacious and that makes up for a lack of skill.
javahead

Coffee is Murder!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007, 04:41:51 PM »

I'm fairly proficient at FPS, but find myself at a great disadvantage in multiplayer situations because everyone else seems to know every nook and cranny of a particular map. I can shoot fairly well, I deeply enjoy flying, but find myself dead more than alive usually and know that they can't ALL be hax0rz.

I very much enjoy RTS games, but usually have issues sustaining my economy to feed the war machines. I've spent many many hours playing AoE and such in countless LAN parties in my earlier years.

Puzzles are usually a boring genre for me. Either they're way too easy, or way too hard and thus frustrating. I spent a lot of time with my grandmother over several Summer breaks and did a lot of work in her logic puzzle books; maybe that helped.

I'm just a simple, casual, gamer. I don't hack. I don't read forums for tips, tricks, and tactics. I don't try to beat games at the "impossible" settings. I play for fun and fun alone.

Jesters Do It Till Ya Smile!
          \|/ ____ \|/
        ~@_/ Oo \_@~
          /_( \__/ )_\
             \__U_/
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2007, 04:42:18 PM »

I can't focus on any one game long enough to be very good at any of them.  I tend to have the easiest time with music games, but I know I am not the greatest by any means.  I do alright with platformers as well.  I tend to suck at FPS and RTS games.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2007, 04:49:20 PM »

RPG's, MMORPG's and Adventure games are the games I most excel at. I do enjoy some FPS, RTS, sports and fighting games but all 4 of these are definitely not where my strength is. Although I can generally get good at any RTS game if I play it enough. And I can still beat my 10 year old son at Street Fighter  Roll Eyes

In regards to online FPS's, as I've said before I can't really play them without having my head handed to me. Which is fine just as long as my opponents aren't complete asses; something I haven't found to be always true on Live.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 04:52:00 PM by kronovan » Logged
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2007, 04:52:59 PM »

I guess I'd say I'm above average in general. I almost always play games on Hard instead of Normal.

As long as I'm enjoying a game, I can be extremely tenacious so I don't mind retrying something again and again (and again and again and again) to beat it.

Completing the Burnout and God of War games are my proudest console accomplishments.

On the PC, I'm pretty good at multiplayer FPS games but I suck at RTS games so I stick to the single player campaigns on those.
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2007, 05:01:14 PM »

I'm not good.  I try to play on 'normal' and I'm usually ok.  I'm below average in FPS multiplayer matches (but get lucky on occasion).

But last I looked, I had the highest score in Hexic on my friends list.  If I see anyone go above me on that, I might just have to remove them  smile

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2007, 05:11:17 PM »

In general I suck at games, I like to think I am decent but I know better.  For the most part I am at about Lockdowns level just have a bit better luck usually.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2007, 08:58:31 PM »

i've come to find, over time, that as caught up in the game (story/character -wise) as i can get is as well as i can play it, from dmc -type action to complicated character developement -type rpgs. if i start getting bored, tho, my skills go down the toilet very fast. i don't seem to have the wherewithal to 'fake' it thru games anymore...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2007, 01:20:24 AM »

I'm overall a good gamer, above average. I can pick up games and in about a hour be quite good.
Most online games I've tried, I'm a winner.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2007, 02:48:38 AM »

I'm with The Grue and CuccaDrawers -

I move around too much to get good at anything (not that I wouldn't still suck at them if I gave them more time) but the big thing is that it doesn't bother me one bit. I don't feel the need to be good at games, I only need to enjoy them.

I play games to get away from the things that I need to be good at in real life so I'm content with my suck!  icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 02:50:46 AM by Devil » Logged

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2007, 02:56:28 AM »

I used to be pretty good at Madden and NFL 2K.  I placed top 5 in a few Madden challenges and did pretty well in the Xbox Live NFL 2K5 tournament and online leagues a few years back.  The craptitude of the recent Madden releases and the demise of the NFL 2K series have pretty much retired me from playing serious competitive football though.  I have played some Halo 2 and Gears of War online but usually finish in the bottom half in most matches.  My online RTS skills have been in decline since the Starcraft years.  I still like to play Warcraft 3 on Battlenet every once in a while but I usually get lit up.  I have always liked the concept of turn based strategy games like Dominions and Civilization. But I have never been "good" at them. I think I lack the patience to learn the mechanics of playing the game well.  I'd rather win or lose in the 10-30 minutes of an FPS or RTS match than grind out a 2 week long PBEM strategy game.

I don't know if I am good or bad at single player gaming.  I usually finish most games through sheer grinding, or constant reloads.  I usually don't beat single player games by being "good" at them.  I usually beat them by sheer persistence.  If that makes any sense.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 02:58:43 AM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2007, 03:02:49 AM »

Pure tactics is where I excel.  I have a decent aim in FPS games.

So I'm very good at games where I focus only on tactics, and not on both building a base and making units at the same time.

I pickup on strategic and tactical nuances of games pretty quickly, factoring in a lot of differest aspects.

I'm also pretty good at commanding others in such games.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 03:12:52 AM by Turtle » Logged
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2007, 03:26:13 AM »

I pretty much suck everything, especially action games. I played Gears of War with friends, and no one wanted me on their team. I was lucky to get a kill and the person I did kill got made fun of for it. Guitar Hero 2? Lowest rating on every song of all my friends. It's actually embarrassing, and I don't have the patience to ever get good at most games, so I wonder why I game at all.

I am ok at RPGs, wargames etc, but as I get older I am less likely to want to spend the time to learn them.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2007, 03:30:24 AM »

somewhere between immortal and godlike? smile
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2007, 08:45:22 AM »

I suck at several types of games...For example...
anything pc based (well i don't suck but I just don't play them.)
anything involving building units...I don't multitask that well and always spread myself too thin.

On the other hand Consoles nod
I am good at pretty much every FPS I touch (not to be cocky)
I am ok at sports games (they bore me since I have to buy a new one every year)
I am ok at RPG's

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
deadzone

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2007, 03:15:38 PM »

I suck at most games myself.  I think it has more to do with my limited visual field from my failing eyesight, rather than me being actually sucky at games though!  smile  I generally can excel at thinking games that are a bit slower paced or at least offer a pause option of some sort RTS - RPG types of stuff for the most part.  I have played games like AOE1&2, Fallout 1&2, Planescape: Torment, SS1&2, Diablo 1&2, etc.. all the way through and beat them on all difficulty levels. 

When I was younger, I played a hell of a lot of Duke Nukem 3D, WolfenStein 3D, and Doom 1&2.  My eyesight was a lot better back then though.  smile  I find that I have some trouble playing TLoZ:TP on the Wii although it hasn't taken away from my overall good gaming experience.  (I have a pretty high threshold for frustration)  In Wii Sports I can barely play Tennis, heh, my wife kicks my ass all over the place.  I think it's just too fast moving for me though as I can beat her in Golf and Bowling.  I haven't even tried the boxing yet, maybe I should try that... smile

Anyway, I suck, but it's not all my fault!  smile   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: