http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 08:10:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: your own 'anything' of the year awards  (Read 1545 times)
semiconscious
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 26, 2005, 06:24:39 PM »

best comeback: devil may cry 3: dante's awakening
the dmc equivalent of mgs3 - successful in every way...

worst localization modification: devil may cry 3: dante's awakening
the unnecessary decision to make the 'hard' japanese level the 'normal' american level resulted in turning what should've been one of the years major high-production across-the-board bestsellers into something of cult favorite for the hardcore...

best original soundtrack: killer 7
just plain amazing...
(runner-up: shadow of the colossus)

best level: psychonauts
milkman conspiracy - nuf said...

biggest little surprise treat: riviera / phoenix wright: ace attorney
hard to choose between these 2. both feature very unique & clever gameplay, great characters, & lots of well-done humor...

most addictive 'gotta get'm all' game feature: metal gear acid
i spent more time buying cards than playing the game - & loved it...

best reworking of a title for another platform: medievil: resurrection
sadly overlooked. probably the only genuinely playable action game for the psp, & a very good one at that...

strangest: osu! tatake! quendan!
have barely scratched the surface, but this one wins hands down...

sleeper: radiata stories
the little rpg that could. great presentation, comfortable, straight-forward gameplay, just the right amount of challenge, funny & fun. the perfect introduction to the real-time role-playing genre...

best game: shadow of the colossus
breathtaking. transcendental. you name it. very, very well worth the wait...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005, 09:46:36 PM »

Best Looking Game of the Year - NBA 2K6 (Xbox 360)

Game of the Year - Resident Evil 4 (Gamecube)

Most Addicting Games That Shouldn't Be - Xbox Live Arcade
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005, 09:52:49 PM »

Worst Character Development: Jade Empire

Best Character Development: KOTOR 2

Best Level Design Variety: Metal Arms: Glitch in the System

Best Variety of Gameplay: Metal Arms: Glitch in the System

Game With Most Potential that Just Didn't Live up to it: Fable

Best Sequel Played This Year: Princie of Persia: Warrior Within (only played KOTOR 2 into early January smile)

Biggest Crap Game that Shoulda Been Great cause it was released by a great Developer: Jade Empire
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 10:03:49 PM »

Best Japanese Arcade Game That We'll Never See in America:

I don't know the name of it, but this game seemed like it was the hottest thing in every arcade I saw in Japan a couple months ago:

You collect/trade game cards that have various troop types.  You could have archers, mounted units, spearmen, etc., and it looked like some had special abilities as well.  You play the game by moving your cards around on the game surface.  That's right, somehow the game table can scan what your cards are, where they are, and which way they're facing.  

In this picture the guy has all his units pulled back in his fortress, I think he had just made his archers retreat to defend against some uber-unit his  opponent had advanced.  After defending that attack, he'll try to advance to that horizontal line on the table.  It's some kind of forward defence wall.  Oh yeah, and this guy is playing head to head with another person sitting opposite him.

Shogun: Total War meets Magic the Gathering, mmm...
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005, 02:35:09 AM »

Most pure, unadulterated goofy gaming fun
-  Guitar Hero, hands down.  Nothing even comes close.  A far distant second would be Lego Star Wars.

Most frustrating game
-  Digital Devil Saga.  While I loved the story, graphics, and characters, the ridiculously high encounter rate completely killed what was a fantastic game.

Most dissapointing
-  The lack of quality games for the PSP.  Sony creates an incredible gaming machine...then releases a huge load of absolute shite games for it.  i'm sure we'll see some inspired titles later in it's lifespan, but as of now the PSP is a huge dissapointment.

Biggest Time Sink
-  I know this is a console forum, but Civilization IV is the champ.  The words 'Just one more turn' are pure evil.

Game I really wanted to like but didn't
Magna Carta.  Shadow Hearts meets Arc the Lad meets Grandia II battle system with Final Fantasy-esque production values.  Can't miss, right?  Wrong.  For me, MC was an exercise in frustration and a huge dissapointment.

Game I really expected to hate but didn't
Dragon Quest VIII.  I hated the uninspired demo and have never liked an Enix developed game (especially previous Dragon Quest games), but I'm really enjoying the old-school goodness that is DQ8.  Speaking of demos...

Worst demo
This would be a tie between DQ8 and Final Fantasy XII.  While the former was simply dull and uninteresting, the latter is a huge step in the wrong direction for the series (imo, of course).  I can only hope that the final version of FFXII will turn out like the final DQ8 version, and be much more enjoyable.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2005, 02:50:22 AM »

GOTY - Guitar Hero

Worst Guy in GT - Lockdown

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 03:43:22 AM »

Best rhythm game:

Ossu! Tatakae! Ouendan - yes, it beats out Guitar Hero.  I love playing Guitar Hero, but I'm not a big fan of the music.  It's fun to play, but since O! T! O is portable, and features just amazingly great songs, it's the best rhythm game I've *ever* played.

Most overrated game:

Resident Evil 4.  I've puchased it twice (I KNOW, I KNOW I SHOULD RENT) but after not enjoying it the first time, hearing so many great things about it and buying it a second only to find it as boring as the first time, I'm annoyed by gamers.  This game looks nice.  And maybe it's just "survival-horror" isn't for me.  But even the gameplay is nothing special.  I just don't get the praise for this one and probably never will.

Can't...stop...playing...it...this year:

Super Smash Bros. Melee.  I'm convinced this is the game of this console-generation if not of all-time.  So much deeper than it gets credit for, so amazing in its versitality; every time I stop playing, all I need is a good night of Smash to get me interested in again.

Most impressive game this year:

Shadow of the Colossus.  Just play it, you'll see.

Most surprising game this year:

Shadow of the Colossus.  I really didn't dig the demo, but the buzz surrounding its release was too unbearable to not grab the game.  Also, didn't come out this year, but Beyond Good & Evil was really, really good and surprised the hell out of me.

Most fucked-up game of the year:

Killer 7.  You want weird?  Rent it (or buy it to give it better numbers than it has now - poor, poor industry when originality/creativity can't sell [but wait till it's under $20 {which'll be soon, I'd guess}]) and find out.

Biggest waste of money of the year:

The PSP!  Why in the world did I buy that thing?

SRPG of the year:

Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones - this was my first FE game and I came away impressed.  Even though I felt that it was a tad simplistic, it was still a damn fine game.

Best music in a game this year:

There was this part in Phantom Dust that had beautifully remixed classical music (totally forget the name of the song, dangit!).  SHADOW OF THE COLOSSUS had amazing music.

Most annoying sound in a video game of the year:

The text "beeps" for Riviera drove me crazy.  Beepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeep.

WHYYYYYYYY of the year:

Makai Kingdom.  I.  hate.  the.  fucking.  circular.  movement.  WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE SQUARE GRID!?  I would love this game if it didn't have that retarded circular crap.

TheMissingLink on PSN
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005, 05:55:44 AM »

Most Fun I've Had All Year:

Mercenaries. Hands down the most fun I've had all year long and easily the best console game I've played. Happily I've been adding constantly to my "Completed" list, but Mercs I could just keep playing all day every day. Way too much fun.

Most Overrated Game of the Year:

*Tie* Jade Empire & Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (yes, I know this came out last year).

Good God is Jade Empire boring as hell. It's the exact same thing as Bioware's other games, just with shinier graphics in the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon universe. Snooze. And GTA: SA? Any and all reviewers who gave that game a such high grades are out of their fucking gourd. Outdated engine, enough so that I actually thought of the Tomb Raider series, redundant and frequently superfluous gameplay, language that's salty enough to raze crops forever with, and awful (and mandatory!) flight mechanics all add up to a big fat pile of junk.

But there was a lot to do in it, so Rockstar must have thought themselves entitled to a lot of great press. I can assure you that anyone who gave that game high marks did not play it every day for a month straight like I did. Rockstar can screw off if they expect me to pick up the next GTA unless it's a mammoth leap forward. The same old thing will only mean I walk right past it on the shelves. Major dittos go to Bioware in this regard. If I have to go on one more damn Fed Ex mission while being told I'm the Chosen One, I'm going to flip the fuck out.

/rant off

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2005, 02:35:52 PM »

Most Jaded Gamer of the Year: wbs  :wink:

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2005, 07:15:21 PM »

Quote from: "coopasonic"
Most Melodramatic Gamer of the Year: wbs  :wink:

Me fix.  No charge.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2005, 07:18:44 PM »

Quote from: "coopasonic"
Most Jaded Gamer of the Year: wbs  :wink:

And proud of it, sir!

Quote from: "CrayolaSmoker"
coopasonic wrote:
Most Melodramatic Gamer of the Year: wbs Wink

Me fix. No charge.

/pages LE slywink

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2005, 08:34:03 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Quote from: "CrayolaSmoker"
coopasonic wrote:
Most Melodramatic Gamer of the Year: wbs Wink

Me fix. No charge.

/pages LE slywink
ninja

Quote from: "ATB"
Biggest Crap Game that Shoulda Been Great cause it was released by a great Developer: Jade Empire
When will you open your eyes and realize that Bioware might not be the "great Developer" you've come to believe they are?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
warning

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2005, 08:39:58 PM »

Here's my (dubious) award: Most Annoying Trend in Japanese Games: the ellipsis.  I get so tired of this:
Jim:  What do you think?
Jane: ...
Jim:   ...

It's all over RPG's and I could almost get used to them there (not really) but lately I've found them in both Trace Memory and Phoenix Wright.

WTF?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2005, 09:28:04 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
Here's my (dubious) award: Most Annoying Trend in Japanese Games: the ellipsis.  I get so tired of this:

It's all over RPG's and I could almost get used to them there (not really) but lately I've found them in both Trace Memory and Phoenix Wright.

WTF?

That's what's so great about Dragon Quest VIII, you can hear what "..." and even "..................." sound like!
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2005, 09:30:38 PM »

Yeah, apparently "..." sounds like "Hm" or "Mmph."

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2005, 11:57:22 PM »

Quote from: "warning"

WTF?

(try it - it feels kinda cool)

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2005, 06:20:27 AM »

they were just trying to capture that "anime" feel - you know - the 30 second pause before anyone moves

the comic book, 10 year old dialogue

the cliche 5 second-off dubbing

that "..." captures it all

STOP PLAYING KIDS GAMES! smile  the only acceptable cartoons are 1) family guy 2) futurama 3) simpsons (not the reason borings stuff)

that is all smile

*edit - and if anyone brings up that i once pimped out witch hunter robin - SCREW YOU! smile*
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2005, 07:59:37 AM »

I have to steal from someone first, because: A) I have no memory (remember?) and B) It's 2:45 AM - WTF am I doing awake? Sooo...

Most Addicting Games That Shouldn't Be - Xbox Live Arcade
Absolutely true, also the "Biggest Surprise about the XBox 360!"

Biggest Personal Surprise(s): Being chosen to beta test a game - finally! AND thinking, "oh, crap, a platform game" - AND finding out it was a 1st or 3rd person shooter - and a blast to play (see next.)  

Best PS2 Online Game of the Year:  "Ratchet: Deadlocked"

Best New Video Gaming (etc.) Forum - GeeeeeeeeTeeeeeeeee!!!  Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2005, 08:59:40 AM »

MOST FUN: Mario Kart DS
 LEAST FUN: Not getting a 360 yet... frown
 BIGGEST MISTAKE: Buying a PSP...I could have preodered a 360...heh
 BEST PLATFORM: DS, HANDS DOWN!!! Lots of good games!
 BUGGIEST PIECE OF SHIT: Black and white 2...I loved those games, well I wanted to...but all the bugs stopped me!!!!!
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2005, 09:06:10 AM »

Quote from: "Doopri"
STOP PLAYING KIDS GAMES! smile  the only acceptable cartoons are 1) family guy 2) futurama 3) simpsons

that is all smile
Grow up...

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2005, 12:47:50 PM »

I'm not up on the lingo.

When you say "pimped out" regarding Witch hunter Robin....

Is Witch hunter Robin good or the suck?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2005, 06:38:39 PM »

its good!
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2005, 06:41:42 PM »

and LE - was the ... there poor dubbing or you pointing your finger in rage, in freeze frame for 30 seconds as you said "grow up"? smile  and i was teasing ... though i stand by what i said  

*edit* my ... for reference was poor kungfu movie type dubbing - go ahead picture it "i was teasing" *mouth moves* "though" *mouth moves* "i stand by what i said *mouth moves*
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2005, 10:00:07 PM »

Quote from: "Doopri"
STOP PLAYING KIDS GAMES! smile  the only acceptable cartoons are 1) family guy 2) futurama 3) simpsons

*cough*Samurai Jack*cough*cough*

and The Tick. oh dear god the Tick. Sam 'n' Max. Pinky and the Brain... sheesh. Has formulaic prime-time animation washed away the diverse flavors from your media palette?

most addictive 'gotta get'm all' game feature: Phantom Dust. A-frickin'-mazing.

Funniest Worst-statement in the above posts in this thread :
Quote from: "devil"
Worst Guy in GT - Lockdown

best console release this year Xbox360.

worst console release this year Xbox360. (the Phantom runs a close second, followed by the PSP.)

Tackiest storyline on 360:Amped3, followed by NFS:MW

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: