http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2014, 12:52:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your Favorite Star Wars Games  (Read 612 times)
Hrothgar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« on: May 05, 2014, 09:51:24 PM »

So I wrote a little May the 4th article for my site.  The Top 10 Star Wars games I've played.  I'm sure no one else will agree with my list, but it might be fun to discuss.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 10:08:57 PM »

I know a list is subjective but several of those choices...well

I mean a list without Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight is simply incomplete IMO.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 02:21:38 AM »

I'm sure X-Wing and Tie Fighter are probably better games, but I loved X-Wing Alliance. I loved the whole story, being just a family of smugglers and flying the YT-1300 and other variants and just going out and doing runs and so forth. It was just a great game in general.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 02:55:40 AM »

I was going to add a couple of honorable mentions including X-Wing Alliance and Republic Commando, but I really wanted to get it published while it was still May the 4th. 

I played Dark Forces I & II back when they were released, but I can't remember much about them.  It might just be my notoriously bad FPS skills.  The only thing I can recall was some cheesy FMV.

On the other hand I haven't played The Old Republic.  It might be the greatest game ever, but I've steered clear of MMORPGs ever since a bad MUD addiction back in the day.

I'm more curious as to what others would put at the top of their list, but if critiquing my list is more fun, have at it.

Cheers,
Hrothgar

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 04:13:31 AM »

Of those that I played, I totally agree with your top three.  X-Wing was the game I wanted ever since I played the arcade game.  Kotor was the game that finally let us play Jedi in an RPG.  TIE Fighter is the game we didn't know we needed until it was made. 

I would swap Rebellion for Jedi Knight 2 and Battlefront for Dark Forces 1.  Pinball swap for Alliance.  Teras Kasi for Pod Racer. 

all great games.  such great memories.  Hearing your squadron leader rattle on about his combat experience and how to survive, moments before getting blown to bits in the first mission of TIE Fighter.  having the music change to suit the action and it felt like John Williams was writing it just for you.  If EA is really intent on repairing it's reputation, they'll do right by the license.  give us the sequels we've been waiting a decade for and we would love them for it.

The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 12:01:27 PM »

Hmm, very difficult...

I think I'd say the ones that 'felt' like Star Wars the most would be my favorites.

For instance, I really dig the 'vibe' of Dark Forces I. It feels Star Wars, it's just spot on with the way the blasters sound and feel, the sparks fly of the walls and the sounds all the elevators and mouse droids etc make. But I never got really far in that game, it was brutal! I think I had to cheat past level 3 because I couldn't make some kind of jump in a sewer.

Jedi Knight I was great too, because it really added impressive, epic and vertical level design. For example; the first level in Nar Shaddaa has some really fun shootouts, where your opponents are pretty far away, and often fall of of ledges when shot.

I also played a LOT of Rebel Assault, but it's really not that great of a game really. But I sure loved watching all those pretty cutscenes smile I think I can still repeat them out loud actually...

As for sims, well, I'd say X-Wing Alliance is the best one, but TIE Fighter had more theme going. Also, like Caine mentioned, the impressive music system LucasArts used worked wonders to make you feel part of an ongoing cinematic battle.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 12:04:26 PM by The Rocketman » Logged
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 01:21:20 PM »

KOTOR II.

And the Kyle Katarn games.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 02:15:50 PM »

I'd probably include KOTOR II (an excellent game, outside of the cruddy ending) and the first Lego Star Wars game. 

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 05:45:30 PM »

Personally, I'd be embarrassed if I created a top 10 Star Wars videogame list and had SW The Force Unleashed in it - a truly mediocre game at best.  I'd have JK II Jedi Outcast and Rogue Squadron II in my list.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 06:33:27 PM »

If I were worried about being embarrassed, I would never have put number 10 on there.  TFU may not be a great game overall, but it had several spectacular moments that left great gaming memories.  Unfortunately, I never played Rogue Squadron II.  I take it that it was good? 

Besides, what's the point of an online list if half the internet doesn't think your an idiot for your opinions?

Cheers,
Hrothgar

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 10:44:56 PM »

Quote from: Hrothgar on May 06, 2014, 06:33:27 PM

Besides, what's the point of an online list if half the internet doesn't think your an idiot for your opinions?

If your list gets people thinking and talking, you did it right.
heloder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 10:59:31 PM »

Rogue Leader is a really good game and would very likely find a place in my Top 10 (though there are a lot of Star Wars games I've never played). I really, really wish it had been ported to the PC. It's actually the chief reason I bought a Gamecube a few years ago (I still only have four games for it).
KC

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 01:21:38 AM »

X Wing was the best. Everyone wanted to pilot an X-Wing after seeing Star Wars.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2014, 06:52:11 PM »

Tie Fighter was so good.  I had to play it on crappy 386 laptop at the time, which meant I was dealing with slideshows for some of it.  How cool was it to be initiated into the Emporer's inner circle, complete with a secret inner forearm tatoo? 

KOTOR 1 for sure, but also KOTOR 2 because of the very well acted Kreia storyline.  The music, voice acting, story, all came together for some great scenes in KOTOR 2.  I definitely complained about the ending at the time, but everything else was very good.

The Kyle Katarn games were hit or miss for me.  When they were good, they were good, particularly in the major fights and set pieces.  When they were bad, like trying to track down a card key to get to the next section, they could be really frustrating.  These games + Unreal Tournament were my first experiences with MP FFA matches. 

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2014, 07:55:13 PM »

one of the best moments in Jedi Knight 2 came when I used a mod making decapitation possible.  force-throw a saber at a group of troopers meant a good size pile of body parts, especially if you could time the return to hit them again. 

Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2014, 08:53:52 PM »

Dark Forces 1 and 2
Tie Fighter
X-Wing Alliance
KOTOR
lextyler
Gaming Trend Staff
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2014, 07:25:06 AM »

Jedi Outcast all the way.

Also, there's not going back now, but at the time I played the hell out of XvT. Back on the Internet Gaming Zone or whatever that crazy Microsoft online service was before Gamespy was a thing.
fanneyjack
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2014, 06:44:55 AM »

Star Wars - Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight was quite addictive.

paulstraytalker
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2014, 11:42:55 PM »

KOTOR I and II,Battlefront I, EAW + FOC expansion, X-wing,Tie Fighter, Xwing-alliance, Jedi Outcast and Academy.

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2014, 11:36:26 AM »

Kotor 1 and Star Wars: Empire: Empire of War - had one of my most memorable multi-player experience with Empire at War

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2014, 02:40:43 PM »

When I played Dark Forces: Jedi Knight 2, it was my first real PC gaming experience and I was dying at what was possible.  I remember just being so blown away by that game.  I moved on to enjoy many of the SW games, I really liked X-wing Alliance and the Gamecube Rogue Squadron games.  I really enjoyed Shadows of the Empire on the cube as well.  That first Star Wars FPS experience was just the best though.
Storm Crow
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2014, 12:46:08 AM »

Force Commnader  ninja

Quem deus vult perdere, dementat prius
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: