http://gamingtrend.com
April 23, 2014, 01:36:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your 2007 PC Predictions  (Read 2228 times)
Mattc0m
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« on: January 02, 2007, 04:57:55 PM »

For the world of PC, what are your predictions for this year? What games will we see, what games will be delayed, and what will be the big impacts?

matt "mattc0m" richards
new project: GamesCast TV: eSports Television
Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 05:03:56 PM »

Here's a few:

* Team Fortress 2 will be a stand-alone product, apart from HL Episode 2, and will be delayed
* Halo 2 won't get any love for the PC
* Vista will be mainstream for gamers in 2007
* The biggest surprise of the year will be the announcement of either StarCraft 2 or Diablo 3 by Blizzard
* STALKER to become "DNF" status

matt "mattc0m" richards
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 05:05:37 PM »

Crysis doesn't come out until the end of the year and maybe is even delayed until 2008. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 05:31:18 PM »

We will see the release of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Duke Nukem Forever.

YEAH, THAT'S RIGHT!!!! YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST FOLKS!!!!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 05:35:36 PM »

Supreme Commander will sell dissappointly and get middling reviews (7-8, with a few 9's in there).  But that won't stop the TA-fanatics who bought it to constantly not-shut-the-fuck-up about how it was robbed by stupid media/gamers.  Every RTS thread for the rest of 2007 will degenerate into an argument about Supreme Commander, usually started when some RTS misses some feature that SupCom has, like... I don't know... Super scalable zoom or some shit.  Or maybe a lack of lifeless robots in perfect formation firing at each other.  Common Refrain: "You're all too stupid to understand the game".  Which means of course, that fans of Supreme Commander will be using a common argument used by the Supreme Commander.

Just Hiro will do.
siege

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 06:15:57 PM »

There will be countless MMO's released that ultimately fail as World of Warcraft continues to dominate the market.

Enemy Territory: Quake Wars becomes the next big FPS as Team Fortress 2 is delayed until 2008.

Spore will be the highest rated PC game of the year.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 06:41:29 PM »

Quote from: SuperHiro on January 02, 2007, 05:35:36 PM

Supreme Commander will sell dissappointly and get middling reviews (7-8, with a few 9's in there).  But that won't stop the TA-fanatics who bought it to constantly not-shut-the-fuck-up about how it was robbed by stupid media/gamers.  Every RTS thread for the rest of 2007 will degenerate into an argument about Supreme Commander, usually started when some RTS misses some feature that SupCom has, like... I don't know... Super scalable zoom or some shit.  Or maybe a lack of lifeless robots in perfect formation firing at each other.  Common Refrain: "You're all too stupid to understand the game".  Which means of course, that fans of Supreme Commander will be using a common argument used by the Supreme Commander.
You've been spying on our club planning meetings!
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 06:54:29 PM »

Duke Nukem will PUNCH YOU IN THE TITS!

Also, C&C3 will suck.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 07:47:26 PM »

Quote from: Mattc0m on January 02, 2007, 05:03:56 PM

There is just no way in hell this will happen in 2007.  Remember, most gamers held on to 98SE as the preferred gaming platform long after XP was released. Now that XP is tweaked for gaming pretty heavily, and has a much less load on hardware than Vista, I predict XP will be the gamers choice for quite awhile, possibly until the first Vista Service Pack. For me, I always wait until at least the first SP to jump into any MS OS.. Vista will be nothing but a mess for the first couple years.

As for Spore, I call hype machine on that one. I smell another Black and White or Brothers in Arms here, all of the media drones will line up and praise it as the coming of christ.  Gamers will rush out and buy it like drones.  Then when the dust settles, people will realize it really was overhyped, and wasn't that great.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 07:49:53 PM by Kobra » Logged

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 07:54:13 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on January 02, 2007, 07:47:26 PM

There is just no way in hell this will happen in 2007.  Remember, most gamers held on to 98SE as the preferred gaming platform long after XP was released. Now that XP is tweaked for gaming pretty heavily, and has a much less load on hardware than Vista, I predict XP will be the gamers choice for quite awhile, possibly until the first Vista Service Pack.

I have to give a ditto to that. I didn't upgrade to XP until nearly 1.5 years after it came out. And I still haven't upgraded XP to SP2 yet (I'm happy with SP1).

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2007, 08:57:22 PM »

I share the pessimism about Command & Conquer 3.  The series' graphics, interface, and game play have seemed increasingly antiquated with every new release, and with innovative and proven titles like Dawn of War and Company of Heroes available, it's hard to imagine how anything from the C&C line could hope to compete.

I haven't had the opportunity to try the open beta of Supreme Commander yet, but my fond memories of the epic back-and-forth conflicts in Total Annihilation have me looking forward to it nonetheless.  SuperHiro is correct that the individual units in games like this are pretty much devoid of personality.  Even so, I'd be hard pressed to name another game that embraced combat on such a vast scale.

Bioshock looks extremely promising...so promising, in fact, that I've been avoiding any and all information on it until I can play it for myself.  Unless something goes very wrong, I anticipate it'll be on the short list for my favorite game of the year.

Another possible contender is Spore.  I have a lot of concerns about how the game will stand up once you reach the stage of intergalactic travel -- tooling around the galaxy in a single UFO just to see what there is to see sounds a little anti-climactic to me -- but everything prior to that point sounds quite promising.

I'm somewhat mystified by all the hype surrounding games like Hellgate: London and S.T.A.L.K.E.R.  Hellgate in particular looks more and more mediocre everytime I see it, with weapons that appear to pack little punch against scores of uninspired enemies.  I'm willing to keep an open mind and check out based on its reviews, but I'm nowhere near as excited about it as many other people.

Finally, I'm looking forward to the Dark Avatar expansion pack to Galactic Civilizations 2, the new Sims 2 expansion pack, and I have tentative hopes for Sins of a Solar Empire, all of which are due out sometime this year.

-Autistic Angel
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2007, 09:16:49 PM »

There is just no way in hell this will happen in 2007.  Remember, most gamers held on to 98SE as the preferred gaming platform long after XP was released. Now that XP is tweaked for gaming pretty heavily, and has a much less load on hardware than Vista, I predict XP will be the gamers choice for quite awhile, possibly until the first Vista Service Pack. For me, I always wait until at least the first SP to jump into any MS OS.. Vista will be nothing but a mess for the first couple years.

As for Spore, I call hype machine on that one. I smell another Black and White or Brothers in Arms here, all of the media drones will line up and praise it as the coming of christ.  Gamers will rush out and buy it like drones.  Then when the dust settles, people will realize it really was overhyped, and wasn't that great.

I agree with everything Kobra says.  I feel faint.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2007, 09:33:04 PM »

I'm in the open beta of Supreme Commander.  The game thus far has a lot of neat-o stuff.  It just has a hard time making me give a shit about it.  It has an epic scale, but it doesn't FEEL epic. 

Just Hiro will do.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2007, 10:00:50 PM »

* The biggest surprise of the year will be the announcement of either StarCraft 2 or Diablo 3 by Blizzard

Starcraft 2 would be a surprise.  Diablo 3, not at all.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2007, 12:38:55 AM »

Alan Wake will be the sleeper hit of 2007.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2007, 12:58:00 AM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on January 02, 2007, 08:57:22 PM

I'm somewhat mystified by all the hype surrounding games like Hellgate: London and S.T.A.L.K.E.R.  Hellgate in particular looks more and more mediocre everytime I see it, with weapons that appear to pack little punch against scores of uninspired enemies.  I'm willing to keep an open mind and check out based on its reviews, but I'm nowhere near as excited about it as many other people.

I'm probably more hyped for Hellgate: London than anyone I've spoken with online or anyone I know in person (though I talk games with virtually no one in person; Fyedaddy's the only local that I really "talk shop" with). I'm a huge Diablo 2 fan, and that mostly from just playing single player over the years, I rarely ever touched multiplayer until Fyedaddy finally got hooked and we started playing through it together (and Titan Quest too, woo!). I can't explain just what it is about Diablo 2 in particular (even more than Diablo 1) that makes it the pc game I've played more than any other (even more than any mmo) over the years, and the only pc games I'd rank higher than Diablo 2 as the best games I've played are Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 (2 in particular). Master of Orion 2 comes close into fourth place, and Worms 2 into 5th. Starfleet Command 2 is somewhere way up there too.

The point of that is to show I'm not purely a hack-n-slash guy. I love all kinds of games. But something about Diablo 2 just makes me its bitch.

Knowing that Hellgate is being crafted with Roper at the helm and the majority of the former Diablo team from Blizzard North has me more excited for Hellgate: London than for the inevitable Diablo 3. In my mind, with these guys continuing their vision, just with their own unique property instead of Diablo2, this is the true spiritual successor to Diablo 2. I've looked at Hellgate as the "true" Diablo 3 for a while now, and the more I see of the game, the more it rings true to me that it truly will finally be a real successor to Diablo 2.

I was immensely impressed with Titan Quest in the long run; at first, sure, it was the shiny new thing, but as time went on and I played more I found that I really enjoyed the character variety with the mastery system.

Anyway, I digress. Hellgate is easily my most anticipated PC game this year (because Dragon Age won't be out until 2008 icon_wink), and the only other game across all platforms that I'm anticipating with the same degree of excitment is Dragon Quest IX on the DS. icon_biggrin

Maybe I'm not Diablo 2's bitch. Maybe I'm just Bill Roper's bitch.

siege

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2007, 01:07:33 AM »

I used to be majorly hyped for Hellgate, but it looks more like Doom 3 now than a Diablo styled game. I'll defintely check it out when it's released, but I'm hardly excited anymore.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2007, 01:12:50 AM »

Quote from: siege on January 03, 2007, 01:07:33 AM

I used to be majorly hyped for Hellgate, but it looks more like Doom 3 now than a Diablo styled game. I'll defintely check it out when it's released, but I'm hardly excited anymore.

Believe me, if it sucks, you'll be hearing it from me first. :icon_sad:

Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2007, 01:40:07 AM »

Is Hellgate still an FPS?  I've seen some movies from the 3rd person action view.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2007, 01:47:31 AM »

Quote from: Nth Power on January 03, 2007, 01:40:07 AM

Is Hellgate still an FPS?  I've seen some movies from the 3rd person action view.

It's kinda both. You can play from either 3rd person or 1st person. And while the shooting is mostly player-controlled aiming, it has aiming assist and its still running calculations in the background like in the Diablo games to determine whether your hit damaged the enemy or not (i.e. whether it was truly a hit or a "miss"). There's a mixture of melee, shooting, and magic (or whatever they want to call it) in the game.

The gameplay really looks and seems to be very Diablo-ish, only more action-y. Everything I've seen really appeals to me.

I still want to see Blizzard come out with Diablo 3, of course; I'm just more excited to see what Roper's team is going to do with Hellgate.

Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2007, 02:52:27 AM »

Quote from: Farscry on January 02, 2007, 07:54:13 PM

There is just no way in hell this will happen in 2007.  Remember, most gamers held on to 98SE as the preferred gaming platform long after XP was released. Now that XP is tweaked for gaming pretty heavily, and has a much less load on hardware than Vista, I predict XP will be the gamers choice for quite awhile, possibly until the first Vista Service Pack.

I have to give a ditto to that. I didn't upgrade to XP until nearly 1.5 years after it came out. And I still haven't upgraded XP to SP2 yet (I'm happy with SP1).

Er, I actually meant to was it won't be mainstream.... whoops. I've had a rough day.  :icon_sad:

My actual prediction was meant to say:
* Vista will be mainstream for gamers in 2008

I added 1 year in my head, and it gave me 2007. Err, damn.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 02:56:36 AM by Mattc0m » Logged

matt "mattc0m" richards
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2007, 02:53:49 AM »

Vista will be the first OS I can think of where MS is making a conscious effort to force early gamer adoption so that is the wildcard in all of this.  DX10 is Vista only so if the features it provides are attached to a must-have game that uses them, it will be hard for gamers to not adopt it.  Remember, dual core processors have been mainstream for over a year and we still aren't seeing many games that use that power - if they show up in 2007 attached to DX10/Vista requirements . . .

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2007, 03:20:22 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on January 03, 2007, 12:38:55 AM

Alan Wake will be the sleeper hit of 2007.

A heavy sleeper since it won't likely make it out this year.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2007, 03:21:42 AM »

I think Will Wright has had a better track record than Peter Molyneux on these kind of hyped games.  I see loads of expansion packs being released for it like the Sims, with titles like SPORE:  The Fungal Invasion, and what not.

Oh yeah, I think the Phantom is going to make a come back, and they'll announce that DNF will be bundled with it!!!!   icon_biggrin
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2007, 04:44:38 AM »

Quote from: Farscry on January 03, 2007, 01:47:31 AM

Quote from: Nth Power on January 03, 2007, 01:40:07 AM

It's kinda both. You can play from either 3rd person or 1st person. And while the shooting is mostly player-controlled aiming, it has aiming assist and its still running calculations in the background like in the Diablo games to determine whether your hit damaged the enemy or not (i.e. whether it was truly a hit or a "miss"). There's a mixture of melee, shooting, and magic (or whatever they want to call it) in the game.

The gameplay really looks and seems to be very Diablo-ish, only more action-y. Everything I've seen really appeals to me.

I still want to see Blizzard come out with Diablo 3, of course; I'm just more excited to see what Roper's team is going to do with Hellgate.
Excellent.  It sounds even more appealing knowing it's not a pure FPS.   Now I hope my PC will be able to run it at a decent framerate. 

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2007, 04:49:41 PM »

Quote from: Nth Power on January 03, 2007, 04:44:38 AM

Excellent.  It sounds even more appealing knowing it's not a pure FPS.   Now I hope my PC will be able to run it at a decent framerate.

That's what really concerns me about the game. Either it'll have to be able to scale down from the detail level in those videos a bit, or it's going to run like crap on my computer.

Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2007, 07:31:13 PM »

There is just no way in hell this will happen in 2007.  Remember, most gamers held on to 98SE as the preferred gaming platform long after XP was released.

Not all the gamers I ever hung out with. 98 was gone from all of our HD's within 6 months of XP's release.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2007, 07:57:31 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on January 04, 2007, 07:31:13 PM

There is just no way in hell this will happen in 2007.  Remember, most gamers held on to 98SE as the preferred gaming platform long after XP was released.

Not all the gamers I ever hung out with. 98 was gone from all of our HD's within 6 months of XP's release.

I doubt XP was better than 98SE for gaming 6 months after its release.  I don't know if I'd say most gamers held on to 98SE, but there was certainly a large number of people that held on to it for as long as gamingly possible.
unbreakable
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2007, 08:24:02 PM »

I ran screaming from the 95/98/ME codebase like my hair was on fire.

I would have run NT if it were possible to play games on it, but it wasn't really viable at that point.  The lack of plug and play support and the limited DirectX support hurt it for home gaming use (I was using it at work, and started getting annoyed at Win9x's shortcomings in comparison).  But companies really embraced Windows 2000 once it was released, despite MS trying to keep it strictly a 'business' OS.

If 2000 were still being actively supported by MS, I would still be using it.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 08:26:49 PM by unbreakable » Logged
TC Weidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2007, 03:42:55 AM »

Warhammer Online ( if it makes it out in 07( doubtful) will be the first real competition WoW will face.  I loved Wow but looking at Warhammer, that IS THE MORPG I have been wanting to play since I got into the genre many moons ago.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: