http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 03:55:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: your 2005 'sleepers'...  (Read 2044 times)
semiconscious
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2005, 10:37:40 PM »

no zelda, no final fantasy, & no duke nukem(?!) - which non-major releases are you looking forward to this year?...

for me:

wanda and the colossus

rise of the kasai

samurai legend musashi

digital devil saga

shining tears

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2005, 01:03:36 AM »

Wanda looks amazing...huge bosses.  HUUUUGE bosses.

I think that Capcom X Namco game looks interesting...if that's even the name of it.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2005, 01:06:44 AM »

Animal Crossing DS.  It will be the gaming milestone of the 21st century.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2005, 03:57:55 AM »

There are a lot of non-major RPGs coming out this year -
Arc the Lad - End of Darkness
Atelier Iris - Eternal Mana
Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2
Makai Kingdom
Dragon Quest 8 (not big in the US yet, but it will be soon smile)
Phantasy Star Trilogy (if it ever makes it to the US)
Radiata Stories
Shining Tears and Shining Force Neo
Stella Deus
Samurai Legend Musashi
Fire Emblem for Gamecube
Namco X Capcom
Sigma Star Saga
Tales of Rebirth (assuming it's coming to the US)
Wild ARMs Alter Code F and WA4
Ys : The Ark of Napishtim

Among non-RPGs
Advent Rising
Psychonauts

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2005, 04:55:15 AM »

Psychonauts

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2005, 05:10:08 PM »

I've put 30+ hours on SMT:Nocturne in the last week.  Good god, these games are a power levellers Crack.  I am ALL over the DDS games when they come out.

Also getting the Dragon Quest 8 game when it comes out.

I wanted to see them release the next Samurai Showdown game in the US, but after seeing the reviews, that has pretty much gone away.  (So, it looks like Guily Gear series is the only 2d fighter left, now that King of Fighters has gone 3d.)

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2005, 06:10:46 PM »

Quote from: "Big Jake"
I've put 30+ hours on SMT:Nocturne in the last week.  Good god, these games are a power levellers Crack.  I am ALL over the DDS games when they come out.

I wanted to see them release the next Samurai Showdown game in the US, but after seeing the reviews, that has pretty much gone away.  (So, it looks like Guily Gear series is the only 2d fighter left, now that King of Fighters has gone 3d.)

Would a FFX afficianado that got bored with SH: Covenant after 20 hours, hated Xenosaga, and hated SUikoden III like SMT?
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2005, 07:00:19 PM »

My bet is No, Rage.  I liked Xenosaga & Suikoden 3, and this game is 10X as repetitive and half the story of both of those.   No minigames as of yet.  Truly, the game is only about collecting demons and power-levelling them into bad-asses.  While there is tactics to Boss battles (and paying attention to Elemental Affinities is an absolute must), you often have to have certain level of monsters before the battle even becomes feasible.

How was SH:Covenant?  I haven't played it yet and saw it for $30 at Fry's today.  What didn't you like about it?

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2005, 08:53:34 PM »

I'm excited for most of EddieA's list of RPG's.  There will be a couple on that list that I will skip or just rent (most notably the WildARM's games.  never could get into those.), but the bulk of that list will be day one purchases.  Gonna be a good RPG year.  smile

How was SH:Covenant? I haven't played it yet and saw it for $30 at Fry's today. What didn't you like about it?

It's an absolutely brilliant game.  Battle system, characters, story, music...everything is top notch.  It may be a bit tough to catch on if you missed the first SH, but SH:  C is a great game all around.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
depward

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2005, 09:05:31 PM »

Quote from: "Gratch"
I'm excited for most of EddieA's list of RPG's.  There will be a couple on that list that I will skip or just rent (most notably the WildARM's games.  never could get into those.), but the bulk of that list will be day one purchases.  Gonna be a good RPG year.  smile

How was SH:Covenant? I haven't played it yet and saw it for $30 at Fry's today. What didn't you like about it?

It's an absolutely brilliant game.  Battle system, characters, story, music...everything is top notch.  It may be a bit tough to catch on if you missed the first SH, but SH:  C is a great game all around.

Hehe it seems like whenever I want to comment on Shadow Hearts: Covenant and how great it is, you're always there saying the same thing   biggrin

But yes - you neeeed to go pick that up for $30.  Simply one of the best RPGs I've ever played!  Right up there along with FFVI, FFIV, and Chrono Trigger.  The story is fantastic, battle system never feels old, characters are great, everything about the game is wonderful.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
depward

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2005, 09:09:16 PM »

Yep Dragon Quest is an absolute must along with Radiata Stories.  Radiata Stories I'm particularily looking forward to because Tri-Ace is involved with that.  I just hate how that game is BASICALLY complete . . . and all it needs is Japanese translation, voice acting, and perhaps some tweaking of story elements . . . and yet it'll take months to be released in NA.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2005, 10:17:24 PM »

Quote from: "depward"

Yep Dragon Quest is an absolute must along with Radiata Stories.  Radiata Stories I'm particularily looking forward to because Tri-Ace is involved with that.  I just hate how that game is BASICALLY complete . . . and all it needs is Japanese translation, voice acting, and perhaps some tweaking of story elements . . . and yet it'll take months to be released in NA.

THe only thing that could keep me away from DQ (i have played and love every single game-although I never beat 7 and the translations of 5 and 6 for the emulators are so bad i couldnt make much progress), anyways, I love DQ as much as any RPG series either-so really the only thiung that could keep me from it is if they refuse, again, to update the unfortunately old old old, clunky, not so fun combat interface.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2005, 10:39:10 PM »

Quote from: "Gratch"

Ok just to be fair, let me be honest about why I got bored of SH:C in the middle after being a huge fan for 15 hours or so.

The story-juvenile to the extreme. I know, I like FF and Dragon Warrior. I think FFX is a "mature" game. I really do-but this game was just...annoying juvenile. The amibguously gay wrestler was just groan-inducing bad, the dialogue was cliched and silly, the story was sort of strung out and unclear (maybe understanding SH 1 would have helped), the summon thingies your main guy could turn into were almost useless at the level I was at, and frankly, I hated the stupid wolf and his handler and lots of other niggling little issues. Hope that sheds some light on it.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2005, 11:54:17 PM »

annoying juvenile

agreed (tho, out of all the characters, the only one i actually liked was blanca - go figure). add to that the serious lack of challenge once you master the ring/combo system (i never re-fought a single boss, an rpg first for me), & i too found it to be, tho well-intentioned & beautifully presented, a game that just lacked real, well, 'heart' - much like xenosaga (i did finish both, btw)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
depward

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2005, 01:26:42 AM »

Quote from: "semiconscious"
annoying juvenile

agreed (tho, out of all the characters, the only one i actually liked was blanca - go figure). add to that the serious lack of challenge once you master the ring/combo system (i never re-fought a single boss, an rpg first for me), & i too found it to be, tho well-intentioned & beautifully presented, a game that just lacked real, well, 'heart' - much like xenosaga (i did finish both, btw)...

It LACKED heart?!  I don't know what you mean by "heart" exactly, but if you were at least, well, semi-conscious during the last portion of the game (specifically before the Asuka Stone Platform), then you would definately say it had some heart in the story.  I really enjoyed the emotion and heart that the story contained.  Though, you could mean "heart" in a different kind of context . . .

depward

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2005, 01:30:34 AM »

I forgot to mention - Digital Devil Saga looks like a good one.  I thought Tensei was OK - I really enjoyed the atmosphere, art direction, and so forth - but ultimately the gameplay got to me.  I think DDS is more what I'm looking for.  Definately looking forward to that one.

Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2005, 01:49:25 AM »

GameCube:
Fire Emblem
Geist
Odama

Nintendo DS:
Another (Can't wait for this adeventure game, one of my most anticipated DS titles)
Mistwalker Strategy RPG (I don't think it is title yet, but sure has my attention)

GBA:

Earthbound 2 (Mother 3)
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

Playstation 2:

Dragon Quest VIII (An American sleeper, anyway.)
Shining Tears
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2005, 01:52:19 PM »

I really enjoyed the emotion and heart that the story contained. Though, you could mean "heart" in a different kind of context . . .

no, that's the context i meant it in, & it just plain didn't work for me...

maybe if i'd finished the first sh, it would've worked better (tho, considering much of the reason i didn't finish it was because (again) i just didn't care about the characters, maybe not). maybe if the silly stuff had been toned down somewhat - sh:c tries so hard to be so many things at once. it's a risky proposition, combining over-the-top humor (i'm not talking 'comic relief' here, which many relatively serious games contain, i'm talking wacky, slap-stick -level stuff) & personal angst in one storyline, & pretty much a subjective call on whether or not it 'works'. one (major) example of it working for me would be metal gear solid 2. sh:c just didn't - i would've liked it to have, but it didn't...

depward

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2005, 03:18:21 PM »

Eh, to each their own I suppose   biggrin

Rob81Lakes
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2005, 05:40:42 AM »

Dai Senryaku VII - XBOX

I can't believe no one else mentioned this one.

XBL gamertag:  Rob81Lakes
depward

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2005, 06:42:40 AM »

Quote from: "Rob81Lakes"
Dai Senryaku VII - XBOX

I can't believe no one else mentioned this one.

Never heard of it  =/  I suppose I'll have to look into it . . .

Although a North American release date hasn't been mentioned, I would love to get my hands on Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song for the ps2.  I really liked the art direction of Unlimited SaGa . . . but the gameplay was horrid.  It looks as if they're implementing that sort of style into this "remake".  Hope SE plans on releasing it here!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: