http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 11:21:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You need a component Switch Box? I got yours right here.  (Read 1648 times)
HankRaptor
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: May 02, 2006, 12:59:15 PM »

My plasma only has two component in jacks, and I have 4 component devices ALREADY. I went on the hunt for a good component switchbox. I bought a Pelican switch, and I found interference, a little signal degredation. So I returned that and bought one of these puppies....

It auto-senses a signal or you can manually select... this thing ROCKS no signal loss what so ever CRYSTAL CLEAR.. ITs totally transparant you dont know its there... the highest compliment I can give it...

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 01:05:29 PM »

Price?

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 01:10:14 PM »

THE PRICE!

What is the PRICE!?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 01:33:31 PM »

Forget price. Link? biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 01:47:29 PM »

Judging from the picture it is this...

Audio Authority Website

Link takes you to main page, go to switchers, it is model 1154a.

Price listed is $219.00

Edit:  Should go straight to the product...
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 01:53:17 PM »

Hank, is this the Pelican unit you tried?

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=802193

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 02:23:37 PM »

I use something like this for my component cables.

Price? $8.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 02:25:45 PM »

Its about 179. depends how fussy you are... I HATE, HATE, HATE signal degredation after spending thousands on an HDTV and cheaping out on the signal quality seems insane to me.........

But I wont eat McDonalds either..... Its so inherrently unheatlhy for me...

360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 02:28:06 PM »

Quote from: "Misguided"
Hank, is this the Pelican unit you tried?

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=802193

Thats it. I wasnt a fan of it... to make it worse one of the inputs didnt work... Search AVS forums about the pelican, I wasnt alone in quality control problems.

BTW, I got the switch for about 130.00 on EBAY

360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 02:28:39 PM »

Quote from: "Ralph-Wiggum"

Price? $8.

Those aren't component cables, they are composite cables (aka RCA cables) - HUGE difference. Component cables offer a higher picture quality and are able to carry a HD signal.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2006, 03:02:36 PM »

Quote from: "HankRaptor"
Its about 179. depends how fussy you are... I HATE, HATE, HATE signal degredation after spending thousands on an HDTV and cheaping out on the signal quality seems insane to me.........

But I wont eat McDonalds either..... Its so inherrently unheatlhy for me...

Where did you buy it at, Hank?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2006, 03:23:15 PM »

Quote from: "angrycoder"

Price? $8.

Those aren't component cables, they are composite cables (aka RCA cables) - HUGE difference. Component cables offer a higher picture quality and are able to carry a HD signal.

I know - but it works just fine. The switch is just mechanical. As long as I line up the colors correctly, there's no problem. I've been using this for the last 2 years or so and I honestly can't see any degredation between signals coming through the a/v switch (the XBox 360) and signals that go directly into the tv (the HD cable).

There was a big debate about using this type of switch on hometheaterspot.com a couple of years ago and most people couldn't notice a difference in signal quality (including myself, obviously).
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2006, 03:36:37 PM »

Quote from: "angrycoder"

Price? $8.

What Ralph said- they actually work just fine for most people but the overall bandwith is lower.  I wouldn't hesitate to use it if most of my inputs were 480p but wouldn't put multiple HD feeds through it if I was driving a screen >40".

I've had excellent results with the Pelican but it is for my gaming system so my standards aren't quite as high as for my home theater.  I will say I've seen absolutely zero interference- interference isn't something I can tolerate at all.  

I've thought about the Audio Authority switchbox for my HT but I'm going to hold off since I don't think it will be long until I need an HDMI switchbox instead.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2006, 03:50:46 PM »

Thats the CRAZY ass part.. We will need an HDMI splitter soon... One for your cable box, one for the PS3 and one for the 360 (HD-DVD)... I only have ONE HDMI input.....

360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2006, 04:19:46 PM »

I am wary of the auto senseing thing because of the TiVo.  The one pictured doesn't but some switch boxes to S-video, component, etc.  The TiVo is always on for taping so it seems that would screw up any autosensing feature.

HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2006, 06:23:28 PM »

You can disable it.

OR

You can program it to prioritize what you are seeing on screen. Assuming your Tivo is on, it doesnt matter what you are seeing throught the switchbox the cable box runs through tivo, so it doesnt interfere.

360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2006, 06:49:08 PM »

Have any links to reviews of it?  I hate switching my component cables all the time.  $180 is a lot unless this thing is great.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2006, 07:21:41 PM »

Product Review - August 22nd, 2005

So you have a DVD Player, high definition satellite, an Xbox, and a Home Theater PC (HTPC).  And your home theater receiver only has two component video inputs.

With the rapid transition to high-definition in the consumer electronics industry, are you finding yourself constantly running short of inputs to hook up your home theater gear?  You’re not alone.  You are in a position that a lot of people are now finding themselves in.  It’s too expensive and just not practical to spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars on a home theater receiver.  The good news is that there is a solution.  The Audio Authority 1154a Signal Sensing AutoSelector solves your dilemma.

The Audio Authority 1154a is a four-input and one-output switch.  The Audio Authority 1154a Signal Sensing AutoSelector offers simultaneous automatic switching of HDTV component video, digital audio (coaxial and optical), and stereo analog audio.  The 1154a will not switch between digital audio signals, however.  You must use either all coaxial inputs or all optical outputs.  Should it be necessary to use both, however, you will require both an optical and a coaxial cable to be connected from the Audio Authority 1154a to your home theater receiver.

Click For Larger Image

The most important part with respect to hooking up your components to the 1154a is determining the priority of your equipment.  While the Audio Authority 1154a has the ability to learn your viewing habits, devices that produces “null output” should be connected to the inputs corresponding the higher input number.

Null output is a term used to describe the blank digital audio bitstream of data that is outputted from a piece of equipment when the unit is powered down.  For example, a Personal Video Recorder gives off this bitstream, and this can cause the Audio Authority 1154a to be confused and automatically select the PVR, which would interrupt the device that you are intending to watch.  It is for this reason that the PVR should be connected to the 1154a in the lowest priority position.

Far more information can be found in the product manual, which is linked at the bottom of this page.  While brief, the manual explains the switching process very clearly.  If you have any questions, please feel free to contact AVDeals at 877-722-8948 and we will be glad to assist you.

Automatic switching can be overridden rather easily.  Opening the 1154a, you will find a number of dip switches that allow you to determine what devices will be ignored by the adaptive switching technology, or what inputs can be disabled (as they are not in use).

The Audio Authority 1154a was setup in our testing facility and connected to a Microsoft Xbox, a Bell ExpressVu high definition satellite, a Panasonic DMR-T3030 Progressive Scan DVD player and DVD recorder, and an HTPC, in that order.  This is how we first discovered the switching issues, as being geeks; do you think we even bothered to read the manual first?

We initially thought that the Audio Authority 1154a may have been defective as it kept switching between the Panasonic DVD Recorder and the Bell ExpressVu Satellite Receiver.  Furthermore, the 1154a would switch automatically when we went to record with the DVD player.  Once we figured out that the unit was designed to switch automatically, it suddenly all made much more sense and we swallowed our pride and read the manual.  Setting up the devices that produce null output to the lowest priority made the 1154a run smoothly.

We did not notice any loss of quality by running our devices through the Audio Authority 1154a either.  Despite the fact that the manufacturer claims that the 1154a provided true High Definition switching, we had to test it out for ourselves, and we found that the 1154a passed with flying colors.  There was no artifacting, no color loss or separation, nor any bleeding from our source material running through the 1154a.

There is one additional feature that we neglected to mention.  The Audio Authority 1154a also functions as a composite video switch.  For people with televisions that do not support component video switching, but still wish to enjoy digital audio, the Audio Authority 1154a Signal Sensing AutoSelector is the perfect solution.

For people who wish to have the ability to select from multiple EDTV and HDTV sources without incurring significant upgrade cost, the Audio Authority 1154a is also the perfect solution.

Pros

Automatic switching adapts to your viewing habits over time.
Customizable due to the ability to manually override the automatic switching, and disable inputs as necessary.
Affordably priced.
Informative User Manual.  
Cons

No remote for switching.
Can be confusing to setup with respect to how the 1154a prioritizes the devices in your home theater system.

Also, do a search on AVS... for more opinions.

360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2006, 08:16:46 PM »

Quote from: "HankRaptor"
Thats the CRAZY ass part.. We will need an HDMI splitter soon... One for your cable box, one for the PS3 and one for the 360 (HD-DVD)... I only have ONE HDMI input.....

What they should put out (and what the pirates will do eventually, methinks), is a HDMI to Component converter. That way I can actually watch hi-def DVD movies and the like this video 'generation'. Don't think my newest TV purchase has the input, as I didn't care about it when I got it.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2006, 10:36:32 AM »

Yeah - I've got one of those Audio Authority switchers - it's the bees knees.  Though I don't really need mine anymore now that my new TV has all the component inputs I need.

So if anyone's interested, I can cut you a deal on this excellent piece of hardware...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: