http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 05:25:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You haven't played Beyond Good & Evil? Shame on you.  (Read 2432 times)
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

TML, for short.

View Profile
« on: October 16, 2007, 01:08:26 AM »

It's been awhile since gamers in-the-know here have gushed about Beyond Good & Evil

Let's talk about the cast.  Jade is the sexiest portrayal of a normal, strong woman in a video game that I've played.  Smart, daring and fearless, she pursues a conspiracy plot using her  trusty camera (which, by the way, I enjoyed using).  The pig, Uncle Pey'j, has taken care of Jade for years.  And the bigger guy in the back is Double H, who *could* have been incredibly annoying, but is humorous.

The combat wasn't the strongest aspect of Beyond Good & Evil, but it was slick and functional.

Stealth is in the game.  DON'T LET THAT DETER YOU, gamers who have yet to experience the greatness that is Beyond Good & Evil.  I have a biiiig issue with poorly done stealth, and I felt it worked perfectly for this game.  In fact, every aspect of this game worked out well.  There were "chase" scenes, where you had to run away from one of a couple of different enemies, and even these were done well. 

The hoverboat was fun, as well.  It was fun spotting a whale come out of the water and quickly snapping a picture, as well as rolling through the vibrant city.

Beyond Good & Evil is a beautiful game.  It doesn't push a ton of poly's, and there isn't crazy-beautiful bloom lighting, but the distinct art style is gorgeous.  The enemies you fight are memorable and the characters you interact with are unforgettable.  The day/night cycle deserves props.

The game is available for PS2, GameCube and PC.  The GameCube version is rare, last I heard, but apparently available at gamestop.com.  I played Beyond Good & Evil on both GameCube and PC, and had no issues with the keyboard/mouse set-up or the controller.

Ubisoft - I certainly wouldn't mind if you took a break from Tom Clancy's __________, sat down, and discussed the possibility of a Beyond Good & Evil 2.  I think other gamers would appreciate it, as well, and we'd be glad to inform as many potential consumers as possible to help sell as many copies as possible, as it was an issue with the original.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 01:17:50 AM »

Absolutely agree.  BG&E was one of the best games of the last console generation and every gamer needs to at least give it a shot.  They left the story wide open for a sequel, and I'd love to see one.  Unfortunately, the game sold like complete ass, and I'd be shocked if we ever saw anything from it again.  More's the loss for gamers.  frown

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 02:53:40 AM »

The PS2 game Primal reminded me of BG&E in a lot of ways, especially the interaction of the protagonist and sidekick.  I'm sure it can be had dirt cheap now.  Of course, it sold horribly too frown

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 03:00:11 AM »

one of my favorites, as well - great heroine, very ratchet & clanky / colorful, graphically, very cool music, & a nice mixture of different types of gameplay (photo-taking included)...

hope you didn't start this topic just to make those of us who loved the game cry (all over again), cuz that'd be a kinda sleazy thing to do (i mean, hell, a couple of months ago, out of the blue, i bought & began replaying soul reaver 2, & didn't come up here reminding people of just how good that series was before it went down the toilet)...

Quote from: EddieA on October 16, 2007, 02:53:40 AM

The PS2 game Primal reminded me of BG&E in a lot of ways, especially the interaction of the protagonist and sidekick.  I'm sure it can be had dirt cheap now.  Of course, it sold horribly too frown

yeah, when i read this post, i thought of primal, as well... & mark of kri (another by-way-of-the-toilet story)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 03:10:51 AM »

Fabulous game!

As previously mentioned - there are stealth aspects in this game. But unlike other games, this isn't stealth randomly thrown in, and it's not even all that hard. If you fail, you go back to the start. Which is less than a minute earlier than where you were.

It's a shame this game will never see a sequel, because it is one of my ten favorite games from the previous console generation.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 03:21:25 AM »

An awesome game.  You left out that it's available for the Xbox as well, though pretty rare and probably pricey.  It's also available for PC on Gametap which is sweetness.

And before Whiteboyskim shows up and complains about the final boss battle, let me just say that he sucks and has no skills.  If I can beat it on my first try, anyone should be able to.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 03:28:50 AM »

I don't know what I could say that hasn't already been covered, so I'll just add my name to the list of people who loved Beyond Good & Evil from start to finish.

-Autistic Angel
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 03:43:08 AM »

Quote from: warning on October 16, 2007, 03:21:25 AM

An awesome game.  You left out that it's available for the Xbox as well, though pretty rare and probably pricey.  It's also available for PC on Gametap which is sweetness.

And before Whiteboyskim shows up and complains about the final boss battle, let me just say that he sucks and has no skills.  If I can beat it on my first try, anyone should be able to.

The last boss was a cop out, but other than that the game rocked.  I would sell warnings soul for a sequel.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 03:57:17 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 16, 2007, 03:43:08 AM

The last boss was a cop out, but other than that the game rocked.  I would sell warnings soul for a sequel.
Too late, he already lost it when he incinerated his beloved companion cube.

I like BG&E as well, but thought the beginning was a bit jarring.  It made more sense when you went back and played again.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 04:19:09 AM »

Awesome thread, TML! I love threads like these, it definately reminds me that I need to play BG&E some day. I thought it was on the Xbox?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
unbreakable
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 04:39:11 AM »

I still hold out hope for a sequel.  Probably in vain, but so be it.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2007, 04:58:03 AM »

Oops, I forgot to mention that yes, it is on the Xbox as well.

AND, another great thing about BG&E: it's not a 20-hour romp.  It took me about 8-10 hours to complete, which works perfectly.  I probably spent a bit of time snapping pics of animals, too biggrin

Thanks for mentioning Primal - I gotta give that a shot!

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2007, 05:42:59 AM »

Bravo +1 TML gg.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007, 07:33:35 AM »

i waited, thinking i could eventually find a gc version, but i haven't been able to.  same with the pc version.  i did once see an xbox version, but it isn't bc.  i think this will be part of what gets me to try gametap. 

now, where's the companion thread to psychonauts?  biggrin

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2007, 08:09:25 AM »

Quote from: Caine on October 16, 2007, 07:33:35 AM

now, where's the companion thread to psychonauts?  biggrin

Ooooh, you won't be seeing one from me.  I failed to get further than a couple hours in.

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2007, 08:26:25 AM »

A true classic.  The opening sequence and intro to the game got me hooked instantly.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
MrDuck
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2007, 08:53:51 AM »

Wish the 360 would get an update so I could play it again, and Stranger's Wrath (I'd include Riddick, but I heard they're making a 360-version of it with the DC's content, plus some extra goodies too, so, yay!).

Xbox360 Live! Gamertag: Wuigi69
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2007, 10:31:52 AM »

This game is quite possibly one of the best 5 games I have ever played. Start to finish I was hooked. The vary gameplay kept things interesting as well. It's quite sad we will probably never see a sequel nor a game like this for quite some time, if ever. I always kick myself for not having bought it, but just rent it.
Pong
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2007, 11:12:52 AM »

Was I the only one who didn't 'get' this game ?
I mean I love platformers but this just bored me to tears.

Maybe I should give it another try, still have it lying around somewhere....
only1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2007, 11:45:07 AM »

wow... this is one of those games that always looked great but I just never picked up.  I'll see it at used game shops and Blockbuster's previously played for probably $10 or less... but just never pick it up.  Maybe now I will...

"Beer- the cause of, and solution to, all of lifes little problems."
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2007, 11:48:51 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on October 16, 2007, 04:58:03 AM

Is it on the BC list?

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Jocke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2007, 11:54:48 AM »

Great game. One of few games that actually left me smiling when I finished it. It felt so complete and fullfilling. Maybe it is time for a replay... But there are many other games waiting to be played.

I heard that Ancel is working on a mystery project... A sequel perhaps? One can hope anyway
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2007, 12:21:27 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on October 16, 2007, 04:39:11 AM

I still hold out hope for a sequel.  Probably in vain, but so be it.

Same here - fantastic game that absolutely NEEDS a sequel.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2007, 01:23:53 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on October 16, 2007, 03:00:11 AM

Quote from: EddieA on October 16, 2007, 02:53:40 AM

yeah, when i read this post, i thought of primal, as well... & mark of kri (another by-way-of-the-toilet story)...

I loved BG&E but didn't care for Primal at all. 

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2007, 02:09:10 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on October 16, 2007, 11:48:51 AM

Is it on the BC list?

Unfortunately not.  One of the few last great games not on there. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2007, 03:21:06 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on October 16, 2007, 03:28:50 AM

I don't know what I could say that hasn't already been covered, so I'll just add my name to the list of people who loved Beyond Good & Evil from start to finish.

*raises hand and agrees with all that's been said*

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2007, 03:34:07 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on October 16, 2007, 02:09:10 PM

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on October 16, 2007, 11:48:51 AM

Is it on the BC list?

Unfortunately not.  One of the few last great games not on there. 

I could have sworn I saw it on there (checked, definitely was smoking crack at the time).  Oh well, I can always play it on Gametap.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2007, 03:43:21 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 16, 2007, 03:34:07 PM

I could have sworn I saw it on there (checked, definitely was smoking crack at the time).  Oh well, I can always play it on Gametap.

I was kind of bummed to discover that the PC version doesn't support gamepads.  I was looking forward to replaying BG&E a few months ago in true 720p on my HDTV via Gametap. 
unbreakable
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2007, 04:21:43 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 16, 2007, 03:43:21 PM

I was kind of bummed to discover that the PC version doesn't support gamepads.  I was looking forward to replaying BG&E a few months ago in true 720p on my HDTV via Gametap. 

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.  I had just gotten a really nice gamepad before getting it, too.  That was a bummer, the game is totally made for a controller, too.

Although... some controllers let you map keys to it, so that could work.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2007, 04:30:08 PM »

I adored the game as well.  My only problem was that I really don't like platformers; they are my second-least-favorite game type ("traditional" turn-based RPG's being my least favorite).  That said, I still loved the game, and played it for quite some time.  I got tired of all the jumping  and repeating when you missed the jump - with the boat, in particular - so I played it until I got sick of that, and just drifted away.  Bear in mind, I am fairly bad at platformers, so take that with the requisite grain of salt.  icon_confused

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
warning

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2007, 04:34:52 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 16, 2007, 03:43:21 PM

The PC version also doesn't do widescreen very well.  It stretches the picture.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2007, 04:36:21 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 16, 2007, 03:43:08 AM

ditto...the game went at a great pace all the way through until that last boss.

i also enjoyed Lucasarts armed and dangerous<<<<laughed my ass of at it as well

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2007, 05:20:51 PM »

Certainly a great game, and one that I consider "must buy" from the last-gen. That said, I think it's a hair overrated by the hard core gamer dorks like us. I thought the stealth - while done well - overstayed its welcome. I loved the opening "dungeon" that had a very Zelda feel to it, but then there's not really anything like that ever again, whereas you do the stealth stuff a lot after that. I love the one action sequence where it looks like an over-the-top action movie sequence only you're PLAYING it. Like others, I found the final boss fight to be kind of disappointing. I do think it's a great game, and I too would like a sequel, but I doubt it will ever happen.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2007, 05:35:03 PM »

Never played BG&E.  No desire to play it.

The main protagonist has no appeal for me.  Replace her with a space marine or Sam Fisher type character and the game would have sold much better.

Sorry.  But it is what it is.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
warning

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2007, 05:54:59 PM »

Replace her with a space marine or Sam Fisher type character and the game would have lost its personality and blended into all the other shooters out there.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2007, 05:55:17 PM »

Since warning already called me out, I'll just say that the game had me for 99% of it but like Psychonauts it went crazy right at the worst possible moment. It took me a second play through to truly "get" the game though because of how it just threw you in at the start. I didn't get half of it the first time, but going back and re-examining things I genuinely enjoyed it.

Also, a major +1 to those who mentioned "Primal" which is a fabulous game featuring the brilliance voice acting of the late, great Andreas Katsulas as your sidekick. It's very strange, sort of a Tomb Raider via Alice in Wonderland but it's simply wonderful to play and experience.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2007, 06:27:27 PM »

I'm sad there was no sequel for BG&E.  It was such a good game.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2007, 06:55:31 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on October 16, 2007, 05:35:03 PM

Replace her with a space marine or Sam Fisher type character and the game would have sold much better.

Sam Fisher.... photojournalist for corruption-exposing underground newspaper with wacky pig uncle!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2007, 07:53:14 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on October 16, 2007, 06:55:31 PM

Replace her with a space marine or Sam Fisher type character and the game would have sold much better.

Sam Fisher.... photojournalist for corruption-exposing underground newspaper with wacky pig uncle!

Seriously...if ever a comment illustrated so perfectly what is wrong with the average gaming consumer.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2007, 08:29:57 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on October 16, 2007, 07:53:14 PM

Quote from: Brendan on October 16, 2007, 06:55:31 PM

Seriously...if ever a comment illustrated so perfectly what is wrong with the average gaming consumer.

Agreed totally.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: