http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 03:20:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You can go back in time to any gaming year...what year?  (Read 1365 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 06, 2010, 07:26:54 PM »

Lets suppose you can travel backwards through time but only during your gaming years. What year do you go to and why?

I would go to 1994. It was the year my wife bought me my first computer. I had wanted one for at least 5 years before this. All I did was talk about them..to her , to the store clerks, to anyone that would listen. I bought all the magazines and went so far as to buy a copy of Star Trek 25th Anniversary..even before I had a computer! Its all I dreamed of. I lived the life of a computer player..without a computer. I'd enter contests to win one and stand there all day just to see myself lose out.

Then in 1994 around June, my wife says to me.."Lets go look at computers and make a day of it". Well we ended up at Circuit City. That day they had a LOT of demo computers right in front as you walked in. I looked around a bit and spotted one I liked and decided to try it out. I had always wanted a 386 but this baby was a 486. After playing around a bit my wife came up and said those magic words.."lets get it". I was speechless. This beautiful little woman had just told me I could take home a dream. It was mine..a 486SX33 with 210 meg hard drive, 512k video memory built in, 4 megs of ram, and a 14" color SVGA monitor!!..All for $850. I started smiling. I didn't stop till I got home. I was high on PC dreams. We went over to the mall where she picked me up a copy of Master of Orion and Privateer. My friend there was so happy for me. Maybe he was just glad I wouldn't annoy him as much with questions smile

Got home and loaded up Star Trek. Wow. To hear the theme music coming from my pc speaker..just wow. Wait a minute..pc speaker..I had heard better in the stores..what gives. Turns out I went back the very next day and got a set of Labtec speakers and a Sound Blaster 16. Once I had that installed and going I could not believe how amazing the games sounded then with full audio.

Of course 1994 was a huge year for games. I ended up with one of the best space sims ever that year..Tie Fighter..not to mention at LEAST 12 or so other amazing pc games. Ya 1994 is the year I would go back and re-visit. re-experience. Or to just go and watch myself enjoy from a distance. That can never be matched though I have come close many times since then. Those were the days...my days. Great games and great friends to play them with. DOOM II holds a special place..THE special play in my heart for online gaming. CO-OP in particular. Gaming and friends changed over time but I still enjoy it immensely. But 1994 was the year and pc gaming was the place.

I love my wife!   dude
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 07:28:32 PM by Daehawk » Logged

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 07:29:06 PM »

I often envision you as having been Amish for some reason.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 07:34:57 PM »

1998, no question.  Metal Gear Solid, Ocarina of Time, Baldur's Gate, Freespace, Starcraft, Xenogears, Final Fantasy Tactics, Half Life, Thief, I-War, Resident Evil 2, Suikoden 2, Grim Fandango, Fallout 2, etc.  In my opinion the greatest year in game by a large margin.  I would especially like to revisit it because at the time I was pretty much PC-only so it's hard for me to imagine how great it would have been to play all of those console greats in the year they were released instead of years later. 
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 07:36:19 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on April 06, 2010, 07:29:06 PM

Well my best friend at the time..who I played online games with..nicknamed me Amish..that count Quaker? smile

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 07:41:26 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on April 06, 2010, 07:36:19 PM

Well my best friend at the time..who I played online games with..nicknamed me Amish..that count Quaker? smile

It's troubling that you somehow know that I was actually a Quaker  icon_eek
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 07:47:55 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Flatlander
Gaming Trend Reader

Mayhem like me

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 08:02:41 PM »

I'd just bought my first PC.   Hadn't had a home computer of any kind since my Amiga 500 crapped out in 1994.    The new machine was a Pentium III 450mhz, with the amazing power of 32 megs of RAM, a blindingly fast 56k modem, a video card with 4 whole megabytes! Paid extra for a massive16 gig hard drive and a 17 inch CRT monitor (2 whole inches bigger than the standard 15).     Top of the line machine! (Except for the Pentium III 550 mhz, but who could possibly need a processor with that much muscle?)

On the way home with the new 'puter I stopped at Best Buy and picked up Baldur's Gate, Master of Orion II, and Star Trek: Birth of the Federation.       Spent the entire weekend just playing round the clock and reveling in my newfound hobby!    A short time later I picked up Rainbow 6: Rogue Spear and got introduced to multiplayer when all my friends got the same game.    We must have fought over that stupid super tanker a hundred times!       .....and then came Halflife.     More multiplayer!     Running around shooting my friends while wearing the Homer Simpson skin!     Such good times.   
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 08:28:26 PM »

I think it was around '94 that I spent a few hundred dollars on a Roland sound card so that I could have real wave-table sound rather than the FM synthesis on the Sound Blasters. It was like the coolest thing ever for the games that supported it. My TV-Blaster worked great for the 320x200 games and on a 27 inch tubed TV I thought I had the best gaming setup in the world.

If I had to pick a time that would be close enough. By then I had discovered the "real" games like Ultima Underworld, Ultima 7, X-Com, Master of Orion, and Master of Magic. The days of Eye of the Beholder II, Stunts, Doom, and 4D Boxing were all behind me and the future of gaming was looking so bright, and it was, and it is.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 08:35:14 PM »

I don't think I could go back with the knowledge of what pc's are capable of doing these days.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 08:40:25 PM »

Somewhere around 1994 sounds great to me, too. The heyday of the 486/33, Roland MT-32 & Soundblaster combos, joysticks, space simulators, the birth of RTS, arcades still alive, adventure games just adopting mouse interfaces, game boxes still enormous and occasionally oddly shaped... yes, a good time to be a gamer.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 08:59:53 PM »

1998.  Half Life, Thief: The Dark Project, Starcraft, Railroad Tycoon II.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 11:07:46 PM »

I would like to go back to 1988 and experience my discovery of the Ultima series again. Plus, I would be able to anticipate the release of Ultima VII. That is the game that I remember wanting the most prior to release. I read everything I could on it which wasn't nearly as much as is available for current games. I think it's that mystery that builds the anticipation. There isn't one game I'm desiring that much these days.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 12:34:02 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on April 06, 2010, 07:41:26 PM

Quote from: Daehawk on April 06, 2010, 07:36:19 PM

It's troubling that you somehow know that I was actually a Quaker  icon_eek

I live next door. Look, see me waving?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 12:36:09 AM »

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on April 06, 2010, 11:07:46 PM

I would like to go back to 1988 and experience my discovery of the Ultima series again. Plus, I would be able to anticipate the release of Ultima VII. That is the game that I remember wanting the most prior to release. I read everything I could on it which wasn't nearly as much as is available for current games. I think it's that mystery that builds the anticipation. There isn't one game I'm desiring that much these days.

I'm not sure I'd ever want to go through the 'Voodoo' experience ever again  crybaby

Because I can,
tok
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 01:49:13 AM »

1981! Anyone who missed out on the beginning of the Golden Age of arcades missed a lot.
It so deeply affected me that I have a room full of these monsters now.  paranoid

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 03:09:22 PM »

Quote from: Flatlander on April 06, 2010, 08:02:41 PM

.....and then came Halflife.     More multiplayer!     Running around shooting my friends while wearing the Homer Simpson skin!     Such good times.   

Those crowbar marks on the back of your head have healed up nicely.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2010, 03:21:58 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 06, 2010, 08:35:14 PM

I don't think I could go back with the knowledge of what pc's are capable of doing these days.

I'd go straight back to 2025.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Flatlander
Gaming Trend Reader

Mayhem like me

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2010, 03:50:43 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on April 07, 2010, 03:09:22 PM

Quote from: Flatlander on April 06, 2010, 08:02:41 PM

.....and then came Halflife.     More multiplayer!     Running around shooting my friends while wearing the Homer Simpson skin!     Such good times.   

Those crowbar marks on the back of your head have healed up nicely.

Big talk from a sniper who couldn't hit a man crouching in the middle of an empty runway at 300 meters.  icon_smile
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2010, 04:08:56 PM »

1993. My aunt and her brood were going on a 2 week trip and wanted someone to look after their house. I was 13-years-old and lived a block away, so they asked me to "look in on the place from time to time." They had a computer with, iirc, 16Mb of RAM. I had Civ 1, a summer vacation, and the run of their place. I gamed more that 2 weeks than I have ever since.

Hell, all of 2004-2010 would barely exceed the hours I gamed then.

I've got more money now but far less time.

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2010, 06:01:38 PM »

I'm assuming this is about PC games since it's in the PC gaming section. Then again, we have a thousand hardware threads in "off topic" so do the categories here mean anything at all?  icon_razz

I didn't have a PC (I don't think my British-made Amstrad CP/M word processor counted, although I played some crude RPGs and arcade games on it) until late 1992.

I wouldn't mind going back to 1993:
http://games.toptenreviews.com/list_ranking_pc_1993.htm
Stuff like:
X-COM
Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle
X-Wing
Betrayal at Krondor
Doom
Star Trek: Judgement Rites
Syndicate (though I only played the later Syndicate Wars)

And various 1991-2 classics that I caught up with then as a new gamer. It was just exciting to play so much that seemed new or that seemed to be creating new genres.

Of course one could go blah-blah-blah with every year in the '90s like that. I just feel like I had more genuine fun my first few years in gaming. It was more fun to play things setting out new territory or sort of perfecting recently established genres, than playing gussied up attempts that represented the 49th clone of something (see most of today's shooters, strategy titles, MMORPGs etc.).

Or maybe I just miss being 28 instead of 44.  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2010, 07:31:06 PM »

Another nomination for 1998 here.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
tok
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2010, 10:17:19 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on April 07, 2010, 06:01:38 PM

I'm assuming this is about PC games since it's in the PC gaming section. Then again, we have a thousand hardware threads in "off topic" so do the categories here mean anything at all?  icon_razz

If I have to pick PC era, its tough... I think probably 2004. When the demo for the original Far Cry came out, I couldn't stop playing it.
That was basically my intro to open world action games, and nothing linear has really appealed to me since.

Even though the demo was only a mission, the world was still huge but with rather tight boundaries. Hacks soon came out that let you explore much of the game island without being attacked by the helicopters for leaving the game area. So cool to play a game where none of the backgrounds were paintings. If there was a little dot of an island on the horizon, removal of the boundaries let you swim to it.

This game also resulted in about a $1000 upgrade spree on my computer... Crytek has basically driven my recent upgrades. I upgraded again for Crysis.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2010, 12:27:32 AM »

In the older days it was Origin that made a person upgrade.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2010, 12:33:12 AM »

Quote from: tok on April 07, 2010, 10:17:19 PM

If I have to pick PC era, its tough... I think probably 2004. When the demo for the original Far Cry came out, I couldn't stop playing it.
That was basically my intro to open world action games, and nothing linear has really appealed to me since.

I remember playing the Far Cry demo and going 'meh', and then getting a new graphics card which changed me to 'HOLY CRAP!'

Because I can,
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2010, 05:34:30 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 07, 2010, 12:36:09 AM

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on April 06, 2010, 11:07:46 PM

I'm not sure I'd ever want to go through the 'Voodoo' experience ever again  crybaby

This. While I will always remember my youth and the excitement of every new release and how every new innovation was actually innovative - I think being able to grab exult and run Ultima 7 WITHOUT creating a special boot sequence and messing with my CMOS settings is certainly a boon.

But I would love to feel the same feeling I had when I first booted up Ultima 7 with a sound card and heard the Guardian's booming voice. Or when I played MoO and then MoO 2 until late into the night. Or disappearing for hours when playing Civ 1 and then Civ 2.

But part of all that is nostalgia - not for the game (which we can largely still play with DosBox) but for a return to my carefree days of childhood (middle school and high school) when I didn't have responsibilities and could game all I wanted and not feel guilty!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2010, 06:01:09 PM »

Utlima 7 Part 2 was one of the very first games I bought when I got my 486 DX2 in 1993.  I was completely new to computers so, needless to say, the Voodoo memory manager was very difficult to figure out.  I had been able to get it working without sound but that wasn't acceptable.  After several days of trying, I had resolved that I would return the game to the store the next day.  Finally, at about 3am I got it working right and was stunned when I heard the thunder from the intro booming out of the speakers (which actually woke my Mom up).  I was so enraptured by the game that I played until dawn and it still remains probably my favorite game of all time. 
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2010, 07:22:50 PM »

I actually played U7 pt2 without voices the first time. Same with my first game MOO 1. I didn't fully understand the sound card settings or something and I had some stuff like music or sound effects but not voice or vice versa. When I finally heard U7pt2's voice and effects the first time and MOO1's intro sound effects , I was blown away. I was all smiles and "come listen to this!" to a wife who could care less but watched anyways smile
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 01:05:08 AM by Daehawk » Logged

Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2010, 07:49:27 PM »

1990(ish)? The golden age of Computer RPGs. Give me any of the D&D Gold Box games. Nothing has come close to re-creating the magic of the first time I played Pool of Radiance on PC, ever. Nothing!!! Except the eight other D&D Gold Box games that came out.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2010, 09:10:31 PM »

I tempted to say 1998 because it was the last big year for multiple Flightsim releases -European Air War, Falcon 4, Total Air War, Janes WWII, Janes Israeli Air Force- but then I remember that it wasn't actually until 1999 that they'd all been patched enough to run properly.  icon_confused Actually, come to think of it 1999 brough Flight Unlimited 3, Janes F/A-18, Mig Alley, Flanker 2.0, FS2000, Appache Havoc and  Janes USAF.  icon_eek And now all this reminds me that I got an uber Voodoo 5 in 99 with helped me enjoy all of them to their fullest.

Does this hypothetical thread allows us to go back for 1 year and stay for 2? icon_biggrin
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2010, 08:31:59 AM »

If I had to name a single year, maybe it'd be 1996, because that's when Duke Nukem 3D came out. Never have I anticipated a game so much... Kept rereading the 2 or 3 previews there were in my pc magazines, dreaming of playing this epitome of gaming goodness... I went to the game shop every saturday for pretty much an entire year, until it was finally there.

This must be the game I have played the most in my life, mainly because of it's flexible level editor (Build). Before I had been messing with a Doom level editor, but Build was soo easy you could create a fun level in 5 minutes. Me and my nephews would trade our user-made levels on disks, and draw sketches of levels on holidays... We were totally obsessed with it for more than a year.

But that's just one game, in one year. Basically every year in the 90's some amazing breakthroughs were made, and we were witnessing this firsthand. It's like being a movie nut, and going from black and white silent movies to 3D high-def full surround movies in some 10+ years. It was a unique experience, and it's pretty much gone now I think.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2010, 05:27:37 PM »

I truly miss the 90's for many many reasons. But gaming was so good back then. All those years and all those games. Just wonderful and amazing. I never know if it is me or gaming that has changed to where it's just not what I felt it was back then. Silly me, I even miss those old graphics in all the games types from then and the box art is so missing these days. SIGH

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2010, 05:36:16 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 08, 2010, 06:01:09 PM

Utlima 7 Part 2 was one of the very first games I bought when I got my 486 DX2 in 1993.  I was completely new to computers so, needless to say, the Voodoo memory manager was very difficult to figure out.  I had been able to get it working without sound but that wasn't acceptable.  After several days of trying, I had resolved that I would return the game to the store the next day.  Finally, at about 3am I got it working right and was stunned when I heard the thunder from the intro booming out of the speakers (which actually woke my Mom up).  I was so enraptured by the game that I played until dawn and it still remains probably my favorite game of all time. 

I remember getting the sound to work with Ultima 7, and then thinking something was wrong with my PC due to an odd sound.  I eventually realized it was crickets chirping in the background whenever night fell in the game  icon_lol

Because I can,
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2010, 09:12:50 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on April 10, 2010, 05:27:37 PM

Silly me, I even miss those old graphics in all the games types from then and the box art is so missing these days. SIGH

True! 2D graphics create a more unique feel than all the 3d graphics from nowadays. Almost all games look the same these days. They often look awesome, but not handdrawn unique-feeling awesome  ninja
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2010, 10:15:55 PM »

It's hard to narrow it down.

Some runners-up: "98 for Might and Magic VI and Baldur's Gate, '99 for HoMM III and Alpha Centauri.

But my nominee is:

2000 - Deus Ex, Diablo II, Icewind Dale, and Baldur's Gate II. I still fire up those games and enjoy them 10 years later.

Xbox Live: Sukaro
PSN: Suroka

Until I die I'll sing these songs on the shores of Babylon
Still looking for a home in a world where I belong

~Switchfoot
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: