http://gamingtrend.com
July 22, 2014, 09:56:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yet another PSP topic - What one (maybe 2) game(s)?  (Read 1885 times)
gellar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« on: March 24, 2005, 10:50:28 PM »

So I'm going to succumb to the temptation and pick up a PSP... but I have no idea which game to get?  Any thoughts on what the best overall launch title to get?

gellar
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 11:17:42 PM »

Lumines if you can deal with a simple title on extremely advanced hardware.

If you want something flashy that actually uses the hardware, go for Wipeout.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Shkspr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 11:48:44 PM »

Of the four games I purchased at launch (NBA, Lumines, Metal Gear, and Tiger Woods), the one I suspect I'll play most this next week is Metal Gear.  We'll see how it holds up.  Lumines is fun if 5-10 minute intervals for me, but I can't see spending hours on end staring at it.

The game that has impressed me the most, and that I think will move more consoles than any other, surprisingly, is Tiger Woods.  It just looks right, and the controls feel right (except when I accidentally turned the console off once by squeezing the side too hard).  Lots of golf fans in airports are going to get their first taste of the PSP by looking over someone's shoulder at this game, I think.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 01:18:59 AM »

The most acclaimed is probably Wipeout.  Ridge Racer is also very popular.  

Lumines is also getting tons of praise but its a puzzle game so that might effect your decision.

Probably the game with the most "meat" of the launch lineup is Metal Gear Acid but considering its a turn-based tactical game using a card system with an incredibly bizarre story its obviously also appealing to a more niche market.

I don't think there is any all-around appeals-to-everyone outstanding game in the launch lineup but there are good to great titles for just about every genre except RPG (which Untold Legends comes closest to).

What genres are you interested in?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 03:04:34 AM »

Quote from: "Shkspr"
Of the four games I purchased at launch (NBA, Lumines, Metal Gear, and Tiger Woods), the one I suspect I'll play most this next week is Metal Gear.  We'll see how it holds up.  Lumines is fun if 5-10 minute intervals for me, but I can't see spending hours on end staring at it.

The game that has impressed me the most, and that I think will move more consoles than any other, surprisingly, is Tiger Woods.  It just looks right, and the controls feel right (except when I accidentally turned the console off once by squeezing the side too hard).  Lots of golf fans in airports are going to get their first taste of the PSP by looking over someone's shoulder at this game, I think.

WOOT!! Thanks for saying that, please give me more TW impressions when you can, this actually might be the system seller for me.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005, 04:58:59 AM »

Meh... they were sold out at Best Buy.  I think the first day urge just got to me.  My shiny new LCD comes tomorrow, so who knows when I'll have the urge to blow the cash on a PSP again. smile

gellar
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2005, 08:14:04 AM »

Wipeout pure flat out owns! This game is really being enjoyed by me so far.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2005, 10:48:17 AM »

Wipeout Pure, Lumines and Metal Gear Acid are all great choices.

Tiger Woods looks good too, but I haven't played it at all yet.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 02:45:09 PM »

I have to admit that Ridge Racer isn't as big as an attention holder I thought it would be.  I would still get it, but not on its own.

Still, there are tons of unlockables, and the graphics kick ass!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2005, 05:31:19 PM »

Agree with the Metal Gear Acid, Wipeout Pure, and Ridge Racer recommendations.  Of course, those are the only games I own but they are all pretty stellar.

MGA is definitely the best I've played so far.  It's really surprising meaty and complex for a launch title.  Its got a few polish issues graphically but otherwise its incredibly addictive and unique.   I really think this will end up being a sought-after cult classic in a few years along the lines of Panzer Dragoon Saga, Symphony of the Night, Valkyrie Profile, and Xenogears.  

Wipeoout and Ridge Racer are currently about equal in my estimation, primarily because I find RR to be easier to control and more accessible than Wipeout.  However I suspect that Wipeout will have more long term durability once I get the hang of it.
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2005, 06:13:14 PM »

I picked up Lumines, Wipeout and Gretzky with my PSP.  Each got about 20 minutes of play before trying the next one out.

The one i had the strongest desire to return to after trying all 3 was Wipeout, and it hasn't left my PSP since that point.  The one with the least 'grab' right now is Lumines.

Maybe that'll change with more play time, but at least as a first impression, i found it disappointing.

Gretzky was pretty good..better than I was expecting based on reviews (well, except for Devil's).  I didn't notice slowdown at all, and found the analog control to work pretty well.

I'll be giving this one quite a bit of play time, without a doubt.  But first, I gotta get more Wipeout in.  It's just that good.

- Don

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2005, 07:13:27 PM »

Great to hear Tiger Woods is good.  This is really the only launch release that interests me.   But if I picked another it would be Wipeout.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2005, 09:36:41 PM »

I played some more wipeout, and WOW!!! The further you get in the game the better it gets. Some of the visuals on this thing are unbelieveable. The fog effects, the lighting, the weather effects(water sticking to the screen etc) are all amazing to see on a handheld. The gameplay is so good, it`s almost impossible for me to put down. Two thumbs WAY up!
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2005, 09:46:09 PM »

Quote from: "Harpua3"
I played some more wipeout, and WOW!!! The further you get in the game the better it gets. Some of the visuals on this thing are unbelieveable. The fog effects, the lighting, the weather effects(water sticking to the screen etc) are all amazing to see on a handheld. The gameplay is so good, it`s almost impossible for me to put down. Two thumbs WAY up!

Agreed!

Wipeout is simply incredible. The visuals on this HANDHELD game are incredible. It even looks better than the PS2 in lots of ways, due to the amazing screen.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2005, 11:09:23 PM »

I lied... picked one up last night while I was at Target for some random reason.

Got Tiger Woods with it.  Pretty fun game.  Will probably get Lumines or Wipeout this week... but Tiger's got me happy so far.

Neat system.

gellar
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2005, 06:40:06 AM »

Wipeout is very fun in short bursts, and the graphics are great - just don't expect a really deep game.  Single race, 4 race tourament, zone (see how long you can race before you run out of energy), and time trial are the extent of the single player portion.  About the only motivation to play is to see the pretty graphics on the next course; however, I can see it getting old fast (although thankfully I've played it in short enough bursts to keep from getting burned out).

If you haven't played THUG2 yet I'd suggest picking that up if you want a game with some meat on its bones.  So far it is pretty much identical to the console version (minus a few voices), and even includes 4 new levels to boot.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2005, 06:51:19 AM »

I think I just played a 8 race tournament. So there`s a bit more there than your saying :wink: . Stats are kept for everything! It`s not superdeep, but it`s deep enough and great fun.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2005, 07:15:27 AM »

While the number of tracks in Wipeout is a bit disappointing to me (8 plus 4 "Classic" tracks that you can unlock), it really becomes a whole new game once you start working on the faster tournaments.  I put in probably 4 hours today and had a hard time stopping.

For a dramatic change in speed sensation change the camera to internal.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2005, 07:31:42 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
While the number of tracks in Wipeout is a bit disappointing to me (8 plus 4 "Classic" tracks that you can unlock), it really becomes a whole new game once you start working on the faster tournaments.  I put in probably 4 hours today and had a hard time stopping.

For a dramatic change in speed sensation change the camera to internal.

I agree every with everything you said. I`m really suprised how much I`m liking this game.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2005, 05:15:05 AM »

Wipeout! Loving it a lot. I play it pretty much exculsivly. The other game I picked up was untold legends. I have only played it for about 2 seconds too see how the game looked, and those impressions were great! Felt a lot like baulder's gate for the xbox (which I really enhoyed). '

If I had to chose one I would say wipeout. It is great. Ive beat the first three tournaments, and I cant wait to try the next one! The difficulty level can be easy, but also insanely hard depending on the speed. Well worth the money. The visuals are outstanding. And the sound is pretty good as well. The music gets a little annoying, and I wish you could play to your own music. That would definatly be a plus.

My next purchase will probably be either soccer, ape escape, or possibly even spider man 2. Just depends on the mood im on next time im in a store smile.
angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2005, 07:16:06 AM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"
Wipeout is very fun in short bursts, and the graphics are great - just don't expect a really deep game.  Single race, 4 race tourament, zone (see how long you can race before you run out of energy), and time trial are the extent of the single player portion.

About the only motivation to play is to see the pretty graphics on the next course; however, I can see it getting old fast (although thankfully I've played it in short enough bursts to keep from getting burned out).

As for motivation to play the game, well if the game is fun you'll keep playing it. I believe there are a 100+ gold medals to unlock, (1 per track * 5 racing classes on single race, tournament, time trial, + the zone medals). Plus you have the promise of downloadable content coming featuring new tracks and crafts.

As for the game not having legs or being deep enough, come talk to me when you have finished all 5 racing classes.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2005, 08:21:38 AM »

I picked up a PSP and got Untold Legends and Lumines.

I am having a blast with Untold Legends, and I wouldn't trust the reviews of the game. Many people are bashing GS with the review and disagree with it completely. Lumines is also incredibly fun. I love the music and could sit and play the game for hours. So for me UL and Lumines are the must have games. I don't like sports titles at all, especially golf, and I was bored with Wipeout after the first one.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2005, 03:58:04 PM »

Also picked up a system with Lumines and Metal Gear: Acid.  The PSP is amazing - all of the worries I had about it; button placement, battery time, size, etc have proven to be unfounded.  

Lumines is amazing and - most amazingly - my wife, who has never been a gamer has logged more hours on it than I have.  She loves it and asked me to bring the PSP along on the Easter drive to visit my parents.  She played a couple hours that morning, most of the way there and back, then some more in the evening before the battery needed charged.  

I suck at MG: A, but it's a fun turn-based game.  The cards do add a lot of depth, even just deciding what card in your hand you have to burn to move some squares.  You can crawl and go slow, but burn through your cards more quickly, forcing you to run more than you normally would, I think.

Anyway, great system - you can't go wrong with Lumines or MG: A.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: