http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 01:35:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yet ANOTHER Blizzard game on the horizon  (Read 1336 times)
ScubaV
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 03, 2008, 02:56:59 AM »

Unsatisfied by WoW's new expac, Starcraft 2, and Diablo 3?  Want more Blizzard goodness?  Well it's coming: a non-WoW related MMO.  World of Starcraft anyone?  I'm down.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/53406

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 03:48:46 AM »

hmmmm....

Rob Pardo has confirmed that all the recent job listings for an "unannounced next-gen MMO" where/are not related to Diablo 3 or World of Warcraft. Direct result from this statement is that apparently this project is "a next Gen MMO", whatever that means.

yeah, I wonder what that leaves  icon_wink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 03:58:39 AM »

That means I could be right for the first time in recent memory:

Quote from: Hrothgar on June 27, 2008, 10:42:22 PM

Quote from: rittchard on June 27, 2008, 09:24:45 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on June 27, 2008, 08:23:37 PM

Quote from: Lockdown on June 27, 2008, 08:18:25 PM

If it's Diablo 3 - I wonder if Blizzard will work in some type of pay to play model, similar to a traditional MMO or like a Hellgate:London?

I'll eat my hat if there's not a recurring revenue model in Diablo 3.  I'm pretty sure bazillions of dollars a month gets kind of addicting.

Really depends on what kind of game they choose to make.  If they play it safe (see my other post) and deliver essentially TQ-like graphics with full Battlenet servers in the Diablo-verse, I'd wager they will not attempt any sort of monthly fees, just too risky after what happened to HGL.  A monthly fee would also compete directly with WoW, and force them into the same dilemma as HGL faced - defining themselves as a true MMORPG that's worth the $$, or as some sort of enhanced ARPG.  The other thing is with games like Mythos and Dungeon Runners out there, they would have to deliver far beyond those games to require a monthly fee.
Yes, but what if they're doing both World of Starcraft and Diablo 3?  Then they could offer something like the Sony stationpass.  You'd pay one fee and get access to WoW, WoS and D3 premium content.  That'd be evil.  Where's that Satan WoW comic from Penny Arcade?

Oh, and here's that comic:

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 04:02:14 AM »

I <3 Penny Arcade.

Because I can,
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 03:36:32 PM »

Yeah I've been hearing whisperings of a World of Starcraft type game for a couple years now.  I would bet 3-4 years away at minimum.  They know that WoW is not going to last forever, so they're well underway with Crack v2.0 smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 04:24:36 PM »

Quote from: kathode on July 03, 2008, 03:36:32 PM

Yeah I've been hearing whisperings of a World of Starcraft type game for a couple years now.  I would bet 3-4 years away at minimum.  They know that WoW is not going to last forever, so they're well underway with Crack v2.0 smile

I predict that in SC2 they will have more Zerg hybrids like Kerrigan show up.  Some of them will even be able to control other Zerg like pets.

Because I can,
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 04:57:38 PM »

As long as they learn from SOE's lessons.  SOE had Everquest and went nuts with more MMORPGs without changing up the formula.  I mean, how do you ruin a Star Wars MMO?  Honestly.
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 07:13:19 PM »

I wouldn't bet on it being Starcraft, since they're already working on SC2. My guess it's either a new IP entirely, or a franchise they haven't touched in quite awhile. Lost Vikings? That would seem to be something that would be worth expanding on, although I'm not sure if they've already touched on it with WoW.

They don't really have all that many original IPs. Blackthorne, which doesn't really seem like it could easily be applied as an MMO. Lost Vikings, which has more of an opportunity to explore. And then there's Rock'N'Roll Racing, and though it would be interesting as an MMO, I'm just not sure it's something that a mass market would appreciate, so that leaves it up to something entirely new.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 07:59:02 PM »

I would bet easily on it being WoS. They can set up the backstory for the game with SCII in much the same way WCIII did for WoW.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 10:24:21 PM »

I really don't see Blizzard ever revisiting any of their pre-Warcraft 1 games unless they get into the console or mobile games realm.  People always bring those up when a new game is about to be announced, but that's more of a sarcastic joke than anything legit.

As for a new IP, well listen to their COO: "The idea of a new franchise is very intriguing to employees of the company," said Blizzard chief operating officer Paul Sams to Gamasutra in a recent interview. "Are we ever going to release a new one? I would absolutely say we will at some point. I just don't know when that day will be quite yet."  Doesn't sound likely for this MMO.

Diablo 3 is already multiplayer focused and a Diablo MMO would probably have too much crossover with WoW, both being medieval fantasy (albeit one is very dark and the other very light).

That leaves a Starcraft MMO, and as SIM said SC2 will likely set up the MMO much like WC3 did for WoW.

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2008, 02:53:16 AM »

I swear Blizzard is such a talented company that they use their failures as fuel for future successes. To wit, they deep 6 Warcraft Adventures only to release WoW some years later to unprecedented success. If you go back and suss out some of the character art concepts for that game you'll likely find some of WoW's NPC's, bestiary and classes. I wouldn't be surprised at all if a StarCraft MMO appears with some of the concepts originally conceived for StarCraft Ghosts showing up in it.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 02:55:03 AM by kronovan » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: