http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 07:43:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XNA Creators Club Launched with 7 "FREE" games  (Read 1724 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« on: February 20, 2008, 09:15:58 PM »

You have to go through two steps.  Download the XNA CC Launcher, then go to the XNA CC section of My Games (under the Games blade) and download games.  There are seven there for now.  I'm downloading them, but I haven't tried any yet.

Of course, this is mentioned here: http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php/topic,25036.0.html But I thought we might want to talk about the games themselves.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 10:31:14 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Zimix

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 09:29:21 PM »

According to the note at the bottom of the free games screen:

"Please note that all Free Community Games may only be downloaded through 12 midnight PST, Sunday, February 24, 2008 and played free of charge through 12 midnight PST, Sunday March 9, 2008"

depward

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 09:48:27 PM »

So free... for a limited time.  I wonder how much these buggers will cost when they start releasing more...

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 10:35:54 PM »

Yeah, this went from mildly interesting to lame in one swoop.

I tried everything except Trilinea which looked to complicated for the time I had.

Most of them are pretty good.  There was one I didn't like at all (Rocketball).  The flower one was pretty and fun.  Jelly Car was frustrating, but I liked the idea and style.

I spent the most time with the two Metal Slug/Alien Hominid rip offs.  Little Gamers was a lot fun with a suprising amount of variety.  I played to the end of that demo, though, which took the wind right out of those sails.

The Dishwasher has an amazing style and was a ton of fun to play.  I didn't get very far, as I had to sign off, but I will come back to that game later and try to play through it.  Very cool.

I wish I knew what the hell they were planning with these games.  Do I have to join the Creators Club?  At $100/year, that doesn't seem likely for these dinky games.  Although they do say there will be 1,000 of them by year's end, so who knows.  Maybe if they broke up the pricing, I wouldn't feel I was taking such a big hit.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 10:37:37 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 11:16:10 PM »

What is XNA and how is it different from Xbox Live Arcade?
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 11:24:23 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on February 20, 2008, 11:16:10 PM

XNA is a set of development tools put out by MS to create games specifically for XBLA. XBLA itself is just a service that provides games not necessarily developed specifically for it.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 11:24:35 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on February 20, 2008, 11:16:10 PM

Very low cost development middleware for use with Visual Studio that allows small/indie developers to quickly and easily produce games for Windows/Xbox/Zune without having to write everything from scratch.  See http://creators.xna.com/ for more info.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 12:14:59 AM »

Most important thing about XNA (IMO) is it allows people to create games on retail 360s without shelling out the megabucks for real devkits.  Now if only someone could tell me what XNA stands for smile
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 12:15:33 AM »

Cross Media Bar.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 12:46:55 AM »

2 of the 7 were mildly entertaining to me.  Jelly Car and the Dishwasher.  Everything else I thought was pretty bad.  Honestly, even though I enjoyed both the games mentioned, I don't think I would pay money for them.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 01:42:12 AM »

Quote from: kathode on February 21, 2008, 12:14:59 AM

Most important thing about XNA (IMO) is it allows people to create games on retail 360s without shelling out the megabucks for real devkits.  Now if only someone could tell me what XNA stands for smile

IIRC it was a hybrid term that took the 'X' from DirectX and combined it with the biological term DNA. I know that XNA evolved from some of the cross platform dev tools that MS created in the early days of the XBox. Those tools allowed PC DirectX developers to easily port games to the XBox and vice versa.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 04:10:51 AM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on February 21, 2008, 12:46:55 AM

2 of the 7 were mildly entertaining to me.  Jelly Car and the Dishwasher.  Everything else I thought was pretty bad.  Honestly, even though I enjoyed both the games mentioned, I don't think I would pay money for them.

I liked The Dishwasher for about 10 minutes - although I can't see playing a full game like that - just not my style. It was the only game of the bunch that was potentially worth playing, IMO.
Jellycar, I didn't "get" - it seemed overly simplistic.
One of them (culture?) didn't even load on my 360. It gave a black screen the three times I tried to load it, and then sent me back to the game select screen.  I don't think it helped that this was the first one I tried to play.
Trifeca, or whatever it was called, didn't have any tutorial so I had no idea what I was doing. I imagine it was something simple but I can't be arsed to figure it out.
Little Gamers... the graphical style was amusing for about 15 seconds. Then I realized the combat was lame. I played up to about halfway through the jump up the building level and had to stop.
Another one was multi-player only, and didn't let you exit out of the player select screen when you realize that you're the only one sitting there about to single player a multiplayer game.
The last one - rocketball - was a really really dumb game of dodgeball, with a whopping two vertical points to dodge attacks from. The attacks come so fast, it's virtually undodgeable though.

For $100 for a year, or $50 for four months, I'd rather just flush the money down the toilet. These games are all the kind of thing you'd expect to find in a java-style applet posted in everything but gaming labelled as 'amusing time waster' - you'd kill 5 minutes at work playing this crap, but would you really sit at home playing this crap when you have good, 'full' games sitting unplayed or unfinished?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 04:18:03 AM by DragonFyre » Logged
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 05:32:02 AM »

I'd label some of these as more shareware than java timewaster.  But what's this about needing money to access them?  Weren't these just more live arcade games that could be purchased and downloaded.  Or are these games limited only to paying some extra XNA fee on top of the gold live subscription?

I see this as one big area that MS will have over Sony, they're nabbing the new generation of game developers early and potentially get some unique games that would them make it to the full fledged arcade.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 05:33:33 AM by Turtle » Logged
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 05:44:12 AM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on February 21, 2008, 04:10:51 AM

For $100 for a year, or $50 for four months, I'd rather just flush the money down the toilet.

I believe that's the cost for developers, not for customers.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 04:23:38 PM »

I ask this simply because I'm curious and not because I'm an achievement whore - do the XNA games have achievements?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2008, 04:47:39 PM »

As I understand it the future plan is that XNA devs (members who pay the $100) will be peer-testing each others games. At some point the games that are getting a thumbs up from the peer-testers will become available to everyone on XBLA (I would assume they would be time limited demos). Then after that I would imaging MS would pick the popular ones to do full XBLA releases.

LiveTAG: happydog
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2008, 06:09:36 PM »

Quote from: DragonFyre on February 21, 2008, 04:10:51 AM

Quote from: GatorFavre on February 21, 2008, 12:46:55 AM

I liked The Dishwasher for about 10 minutes - although I can't see playing a full game like that - just not my style. It was the only game of the bunch that was potentially worth playing, IMO.
Jellycar, I didn't "get" - it seemed overly simplistic.
One of them (culture?) didn't even load on my 360. It gave a black screen the three times I tried to load it, and then sent me back to the game select screen.  I don't think it helped that this was the first one I tried to play.
Trifeca, or whatever it was called, didn't have any tutorial so I had no idea what I was doing. I imagine it was something simple but I can't be arsed to figure it out.
Little Gamers... the graphical style was amusing for about 15 seconds. Then I realized the combat was lame. I played up to about halfway through the jump up the building level and had to stop.
Another one was multi-player only, and didn't let you exit out of the player select screen when you realize that you're the only one sitting there about to single player a multiplayer game.
The last one - rocketball - was a really really dumb game of dodgeball, with a whopping two vertical points to dodge attacks from. The attacks come so fast, it's virtually undodgeable though.

For $100 for a year, or $50 for four months, I'd rather just flush the money down the toilet. These games are all the kind of thing you'd expect to find in a java-style applet posted in everything but gaming labelled as 'amusing time waster' - you'd kill 5 minutes at work playing this crap, but would you really sit at home playing this crap when you have good, 'full' games sitting unplayed or unfinished?

There is a tutorial in Trilinea and if you play the story mode, it seems to take you through how to play.  The whole thing seemed too involved for me to bother with, though.

Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2008, 09:30:26 PM »

You don't pay $100 a year to get these games...Geez would it hurt people to actually read some about a subject before doing the usual "This is lame...this sucks" lines?

These will be DL games just like other Arcade titles. You pay for them or not just like anything else. You won't have to sell your souls just to look at them...
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2008, 10:38:57 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on February 21, 2008, 09:30:26 PM

You don't pay $100 a year to get these games...Geez would it hurt people to actually read some about a subject before doing the usual "This is lame...this sucks" lines?

These will be DL games just like other Arcade titles. You pay for them or not just like anything else. You won't have to sell your souls just to look at them...

The current method of distribution doesn't make that clear.  Nor did the screen that told me I had to be a member when I tried to launch the launcher.

I'm not sure where the information is on how these things will roll out, but it is far from laid out concisely.

Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2008, 10:39:44 PM »

Here's a FAQ they've started:  http://forums.xna.com/ShowThread.aspx?PostID=46554
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: