http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 07:18:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xmen Legends : A 60 min forumcrawler impression  (Read 1302 times)
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« on: September 28, 2004, 03:30:34 AM »

I'd call it a shakedown, but I'm sure it's  trademarked. Tongue

The game is basically a d20 gameset (KOTOR, Baldurs Gate, DnD, etc) with up to 4 players.... when the story allows that many characters in a level. Sofar I've completed a few quests and have gotten the feel for the game. It's too bad I don't have any friends; otherwise I'd fill ya in on the multiplayer. :wink:

Quick hits:
- The AI is very artificial, but no worse than any other RPG game.
- The  story is compelling enough, but don't expect a grand sweeping saga.
- The controls are well placed (xbox), and I had no problems getting my muties to go where I wanted them to.

The RPG elements of the characters is good:
- a stats section to modify when levelling up
- a skills (in DnD these would be feats) section that looks to have some goals to work towards
- a 3 slot equipment enhancement section

You are able to swap out team members at save points, and the choice of development options you want your XMen to achieve. There  *is* an auto button if that kind of thing doesn't tickle your fancy.

Minor Misses:
- You need to break stuff to get items. Think gold and crates. Yeah. Park benches, trash cans, whatever.  The downside is can get tedious. The upside is you don't hafta bash the stuff if you don't want to. Or, you can throw enemies into it to save time.
- Clipping & Tripping : You tend to Walk over stuff while trying to bash items  (initially) as your characters step forwards during attacks.
- Camera ... it doesn't follow behind (well), so expect to manually move it around. That, and you can't seem to dip too low which is too bad.

I've read gripes about Cyclops being the only character who's not fleshed out enough.... I heartily disagree. The info they give on the characters is more than adequite. The problem with Cyclops, as I see it, is he's so goddamned effen boring. He's duty this, and right-thing that. You'd think he's training to be a jedi or something. Oh, and Jean wants Wolvie for a reason; he's GOT A PERSONALITY. The Cyclops character, not the portrayal, is ultimately flawed.

Oh, and the face icons suck. Tongue Wolverine looks more like Goon#2 from Final Fight than the Berserker Blade Barrage kinda killing machine that we've all come to know and fear.

If I had dropped $50 on this game, I'd not be kicking myself. I recommend it for anyone who enjoys an easy-to-play rpg game and/or anyone who loves the marvel universe. The content for the comic geeks is pretty wild. Sofar, I'd be scoring it in the B+ A- range.

biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2004, 03:52:11 AM »

Great writeup!

I just finished playing thru Baldur's Gate 2 for the 3rd time co-op last night - any idea how it compares to that series of games?  Is it pretty much the same type of game set in the X-Men universe?

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2004, 01:18:47 PM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"
Great writeup!

I just finished playing thru Baldur's Gate 2 for the 3rd time co-op last night - any idea how it compares to that series of games?  Is it pretty much the same type of game set in the X-Men universe?

This game has more flavour <canadian spelling, get used to it> than Baldurs Gate 2. I have BG2, still haven't gotten past the third level; I have too many other games to play. *cough*FableBurnout*cough*cough*

I found BG2 to be fun, but a more-of-the-same, whereas the different Xmen are extremely varied; and you get the full complement to level and play as you see fit. (from what I've seen sofar).

If you wanna drive up to Canada, I'll plug another controller in for ya slywink. It's too bad it doesn't have a simple live functionality to be able to invite friends into a game; that would add tons of replayability for me.

I will be buying this game; likely in 2-3 months when I can get a used copy for cheaper. My wallet can't handle my gaming ambition.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2004, 01:59:11 PM »

Good review!

I broke it open and played through the first level and like it better than all all those other BG clones.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2004, 02:34:47 PM »

Er, now when you say Baldur's Gate 2, you mean Dark Alliance 2, and not BG2 for the PC, right?

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2004, 03:25:02 PM »

Quote from: "Fellow"
Er, now when you say Baldur's Gate 2, you mean Dark Alliance 2, and not BG2 for the PC, right?

BGDA2, yes. BG2 is different. Way different. My bad... the context was meant to include only the console titles.

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2004, 02:42:18 AM »

Good review.

I'd have to agree on most points. I'd give the game a slightly higher rating, but that's because I discovered that co-op is definitely a lot of fun.

Also, as a sidenote: Storm + Cyclops + maxed out leadership skills = Ungodly combo damage.

If you want the later parts of the game to be more of a challenge I suggest investing skill points in other areas, or just using other characters. Those two together turned some of the boss fights into a cakewalk as long as I managed to keep pulling off the combo attacks.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2004, 02:50:13 AM »

Not a comment on the review but more of a question - I lost Wolverine off a cliff in the second level and played a bit with my wife (Gray and Cyclops). We get hammered going through the HAARP hideout every time and never get to level up beforehand. Besides the issue of sucking - Is there any way to beef up your characters between levels? Does the Danger Room provide help in this area or am I done with the game after 1 level?

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2004, 03:46:13 AM »

Quote from: "Devil"
Does the Danger Room provide help in this area or am I done with the game after 1 level?

Absolutely. They tell you in one of the tutorial ones that you can keep going back into the training rooms for more XP. smile

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2004, 02:26:31 PM »

Thanks Purge - I just wasn't really sure if that's the way it worked!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: