http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 10:45:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xenogears, Vagrant Story, and more coming to PSN  (Read 2036 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2010, 01:19:31 PM »

According to Siliconera, Xenogears, Vagrant Story, Legend of Mana, and Threads of Fate have all been rated by the ESRB and will be coming to the Playstation Network.  A post at NeoGAF also lists Arc The Lad 3, although that was pretty much a given.  There's no word on when they'll show up, but it's nice to know they're coming.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 02:42:11 PM »

About gorram time.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 03:22:37 PM »

Ni-ce! I really like a lot of the old-school PS RPGs. I own copies of Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy: Tactics, Xenogears, and a couple of others. But now, they all look so dated and awful on an HDTV that they're barely playable. I would likely pickup an updated copy of Xenogears and some of the others on the PSN store.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 03:24:15 PM »

didn't i get vagrant story on PSN some time ago?,did you guys not get it already on PSN

EDIT:nevermind just looked on Wiki page saw it had a release in EU(Dec 2009) and JP(Aug 2009) but not NA for some reason

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 03:38:45 PM »

I may have to check out Vagrant Story, the wiki makes it sound interesting.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 03:59:19 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on December 29, 2010, 03:22:37 PM

Ni-ce! I really like a lot of the old-school PS RPGs. I own copies of Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy: Tactics, Xenogears, and a couple of others. But now, they all look so dated and awful on an HDTV that they're barely playable. I would likely pickup an updated copy of Xenogears and some of the others on the PSN store.

Hate to disappoint you, but they don't do any revamping of the graphics on these games when they're released on PSN.  They won't be any different than the disc versions you have.

That said, this is great news for those of us with PSP's who never got around to these on the PS1.  Now if they'd just release Chrono Cross as well, I'd be a very happy camper.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 04:04:40 PM by Gratch » Logged

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 04:15:21 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on December 29, 2010, 03:59:19 PM

Hate to disappoint you, but they don't do any revamping of the graphics on these games when they're released on PSN.  They won't be any different than the disc versions you have.

Whaaaaaaa? Well, thanks for letting me know. I guess I'll have to grin and bear it, keep my dusty PS2 connected to my HDTV and play the old discs.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 04:16:36 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 29, 2010, 03:38:45 PM

I may have to check out Vagrant Story, the wiki makes it sound interesting.

I played it for a few hours,and was quite enjoying it but then i got to a part where i kept dying and i kinda lost interest,although i didn't look up for what i was supposed to do

I still want to see Parasite Eve 1 and 2 on PSN,especially as '3rd birthday' is due soon,and Parasite Eve 1 never got a release here in EU and i loved number 2

FWIW-Parasite Eve 1 came out on Japanese PSN in November 2010(3 weeks before PE2 came to their PSN as well),so hopefully this time it will come to my side of the world

they should be more like XBL,as most content gets a world release on there,i hate all this EU,NA,JAP for PSN

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 04:19:03 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on December 29, 2010, 04:15:21 PM

Quote from: Gratch on December 29, 2010, 03:59:19 PM

Whaaaaaaa? Well, thanks for letting me know. I guess I'll have to grin and bear it, keep my dusty PS2 connected to my HDTV and play the old discs.

Or get a PSP and take them with you wherever you go!  Plus, you'd get to play the updated Final Fantasy Tactics game, which is the greatest SRPG ever created (and in my personal top 5 games of all time).  smile

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 04:22:53 PM »

plus they may look better on the smaller screen.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 04:24:12 PM »

The PS3 will still do some upscaling to the games so it would still look marginally better than on the PS2.

Also, ALL PS3's are backwards compatible with PS1 games- it's only PS2 compatibility that was removed.  So you can play the original PS1 discs if you choose on your PS3 no problem.  
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 05:24:15 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 29, 2010, 04:24:12 PM

The PS3 will still do some upscaling to the games so it would still look marginally better than on the PS2.

Also, ALL PS3's are backwards compatible with PS1 games- it's only PS2 compatibility that was removed.  So you can play the original PS1 discs if you choose on your PS3 no problem.  

Ohhh, I didn't know that! I'll just the play Ye Olde PS1 discs on my spanking new PS3.  nod
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 07:53:38 PM »

It may sound silly, but I keep around a nice 27" CRT tv for precisely this reason. Has RGB inputs and a very clear image, non-HD games still look great on it. smile

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 11:47:56 PM »

Vagrant Story!

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 11:58:17 PM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on December 29, 2010, 11:47:56 PM

Vagrant Story!

I now see why Anya was afraid of bunnies....

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2010, 12:23:42 AM »

CeeKay, dropping the Buffy reference...

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2011, 10:36:10 PM »

Fresh off the release of Xenogears last week, Vagrant Story will be realeased this Tuesday - March 1.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 12:38:25 AM »

Very nice. I have fond Vagrant Story memories. I'll definitely be picking it up on PSN (although I won't be able to play it until next weekend).

Xbox Live: Sukaro
PSN: Suroka

Until I die I'll sing these songs on the shores of Babylon
Still looking for a home in a world where I belong

~Switchfoot
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2011, 01:28:53 AM »

Dammit, you guys were supposed to tell me Xenogears was out!  I had a 14 hour flight that it would have worked wonders for.  I'm holding Kevin and Eddie personally responsible for this failure in communication. slywink

While I'm thrilled that both Xenogears & VS are out, I wish they hadn't done it right on top of Tactics Ogre.  I'm dying to give both a look, but don't want to get distracted.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2011, 03:42:52 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 28, 2011, 01:28:53 AM

Dammit, you guys were supposed to tell me Xenogears was out!  I had a 14 hour flight that it would have worked wonders for.  I'm holding Kevin and Eddie personally responsible for this failure in communication. slywink

I posted about it in last week's new releases thread!!!!
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2011, 03:46:09 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 28, 2011, 01:28:53 AM

If it's any consolation, I was sure I had posted it here until I came to post the news about Vagrant Story slywink

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2011, 11:41:29 PM »

I'm surprised that Sony and SE haven't released the Parasite Eve titles for PSN, especially with the upcoming release of Third Birthday.

With the release of Xenogears and Vagrant Story, just about every PSN title that I wanted is now available on PSN. The only titles remaining that I desire are:

Suikoden II
Parasite Eve
Parasite Eve II
Persona II

I'm not holding my breath for the final three, but Suikoden and Suikoden II were released for the PSP in Japan, so I won't give up yet!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2011, 11:48:58 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on February 28, 2011, 11:41:29 PM

I'm surprised that Sony and SE haven't released the Parasite Eve titles for PSN, especially with the upcoming release of Third Birthday.

With the release of Xenogears and Vagrant Story, just about every PSN title that I wanted is now available on PSN. The only titles remaining that I desire are:

Suikoden II
Parasite Eve
Parasite Eve II
Persona II

I'm not holding my breath for the final three, but Suikoden and Suikoden II were released for the PSP in Japan, so I won't give up yet!

Don't worry about Parasite Eve.  It was was just re-rated by the ESRB so it's almost certainly coming within the next couple of months.

I've kind of lost hope on Suikoden II- Suikoden came out so long ago that I can't imagine what Konami is waiting for.

If P2 Eternal Punishment gets a PSP remake then I doubt we'll see the original on PSN.  But if Atlus stops after the Innocent Sin remake then maybe they'll put P2:EP on PSN when Innocent Sin gets localized. 
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2011, 12:26:42 AM »

So, Re: Vagrant Story... Good? Or what? I've wanted to play it for a really long time, but I'm not sure if I'll enjoy it or not.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2011, 12:39:45 AM »

Hmm, never really heard much about Vangrant Story as I never had a playstation back in the day. Looking at old reviews now I might have to give it a try.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2011, 01:11:43 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 28, 2011, 11:48:58 PM

Suikoden II
Parasite Eve
Parasite Eve II
Persona II

Don't worry about Parasite Eve.  It was was just re-rated by the ESRB so it's almost certainly coming within the next couple of months.

I've kind of lost hope on Suikoden II- Suikoden came out so long ago that I can't imagine what Konami is waiting for.

Glad to hear about Parasite Eve! The only reason I can think of for Konami not releasing Suikoden II is because Suikoden sold so poorly on the PSN. I'm not sure what type of investment and fees are involved in the process of adding a game to PSN, but perhaps Konami decided it simply isn't worth the investment. I hope I'm wrong!

For those asking about Vagrant Story, it was one of my favorite games on the original Playstation. The game is relatively short (15-20 hours) and has a strong emphasis on blacksmithing, block puzzles,  and dungeon crawling. If you are looking for a standard RPG, this isn't for you. But the storyline, with all of its political upheaval and dreary medieval European influences, it quite good.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2011, 02:50:27 AM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on March 01, 2011, 12:26:42 AM

So, Re: Vagrant Story... Good? Or what? I've wanted to play it for a really long time, but I'm not sure if I'll enjoy it or not.

It's awesome(especiallly if you enjoy the style of story and script in FF12 and Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions) but very obtuse.  It can be hard to figure out how to play it right.  I actually saw this guide linked a couple of weeks ago and I think it has some really excellent tips on understanding the game's systems. 

Quote from: Dante Rising
The only reason I can think of for Konami not releasing Suikoden II is because Suikoden sold so poorly on the PSN. I'm not sure what type of investment and fees are involved in the process of adding a game to PSN, but perhaps Konami decided it simply isn't worth the investment. I hope I'm wrong!

Thankfully I have Suikoden II on disc (lucked out at finding one used at Gamestop almost five years ago) and therefore already have a copy running on my CFW PSP but I still support all of these PSN releases so I hope that Konami changes their mind and bring it out eventually. 
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2011, 04:32:55 AM »

Just saw something that said Vagrant will be $5.99? If true, I'm in.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2011, 03:46:50 PM »

Suikoden II
Parasite Eve
Parasite Eve II
Persona II

In addition to the PE games, the only other one I'd really like to see is Chrono Cross.  I've heard there are some really screwy things going on with the license for that game though, so I kinda doubt we'll see it.

I'd also love to see the original Tenchu game as well.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2011, 04:52:08 AM »

Wow, talk about a game that has not aged well at all.  Really struggling to get into Xenogears, mainly because it looks like absolute ass.

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2011, 05:51:18 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 07, 2011, 04:52:08 AM

Wow, talk about a game that has not aged well at all.  Really struggling to get into Xenogears, mainly because it looks like absolute ass.

Are you playing it on a PSP or HDTV? I image that either way isn't exactly pleasant. I tried playing my friend's Xenogears disc on a PS1 with a 7" LCD screen and it still looked horrible.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2011, 12:14:03 PM »

This is why I haven't played FFVII on the PSP yet... Crisis Core looked pretty good, but I imagine the original is horrendous...
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2011, 01:13:46 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on March 07, 2011, 05:51:18 AM

Are you playing it on a PSP or HDTV? I image that either way isn't exactly pleasant. I tried playing my friend's Xenogears disc on a PS1 with a 7" LCD screen and it still looked horrible.

PSP.

This is why I haven't played FFVII on the PSP yet... Crisis Core looked pretty good, but I imagine the original is horrendous...

Actually, I think the FF games still look pretty good.  The character models are (obviously) rough, but the static pre-rendered backgrounds look fantastic.  Xenogears problem is that it's in full 3D.  It looked OK at the time, but is just butt-ugly now.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2011, 02:13:56 PM »

How far are you?  That was my initial impression when I played it a few years ago but, in retrospect, I think the starting areas are just generally not attractive at all.  Several of the later areas looked much better IMO. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2011, 03:28:22 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on March 07, 2011, 02:13:56 PM

How far are you?  That was my initial impression when I played it a few years ago but, in retrospect, I think the starting areas are just generally not attractive at all.  Several of the later areas looked much better IMO. 

Only an hour in...still in the opening areas.  Glad to hear it gets better, as the initial town is rather jarring.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2011, 03:32:20 PM »

Either it gets better or you get used to it but I know I felt that way initially but ceased to care once the game got really good a few hours in.  Hell I just played a bit in the last couple of weeks and the first town is just hideous. 
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2011, 01:50:21 AM »

Square Enix keeps pumping out the PSOne games with Legend of Mana coming out on March 22.  I remember renting the game long ago and not being very impressed, but for $6, I'll give it another shot.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2011, 02:23:51 AM »

Yeah, Legend of Mana was pretty 'meh'.  I'm still holding out hope for both Chrono Cross and Einhander to hit PSN.

Spent most of the day with Xenogears today...it's finally starting to get it's hooks into me a bit.  Especially since I finally found a strategy guide that's worth a crap.  smile

Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2011, 03:43:19 AM »

A few years ago mirage775 was giving away strategy guides, and I snagged the one for Legend of Mana.  Never got to play it.  Maybe I'll give it a try on the PSP.

The first town in Xenogears killed my interest in the game.  Maybe I'll have to give it another try, since it apparently gets better.

Now playing: Suikoden 2 [PSX], Neverwinter Nights 2 [PC]
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2011, 03:52:20 AM »

Quote from: Qbe on March 22, 2011, 03:43:19 AM

A few years ago mirage775 was giving away strategy guides, and I snagged the one for Legend of Mana.  Never got to play it.  Maybe I'll give it a try on the PSP.

The first town in Xenogears killed my interest in the game.  Maybe I'll have to give it another try, since it apparently gets better.

It gets so much more epic later on. Don't give up so soon.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: