http://gamingtrend.com
August 29, 2014, 02:40:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xenoblade coming to Europe, presumably US  (Read 4515 times)
Dreamshadow
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: April 12, 2012, 08:47:42 PM »

Discovered today that I could play this on Dolphin  (I got lucky, my drive can read disks. smile )   With 2x FSAA and 2x Antistropic, this game looks downright amazing!  One of my problems was trying to read the screen on my 32" Wega TV.  Now I can read all the dialogs clearly, as well as the tags over the monsters.  the only downside is that I couldn't transfer my save, so I'm losing four hours of play, but I skimped on the side quests a bit on my first play so I'm not completely disappointed.

Can anyone tell me when I can start crafting armor/weapons?  I know the events following Tephra Cave control the Gem Furnace access.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 13, 2012, 02:22:41 PM »

I'm finding that I have to tell myself "It's ok to move on to the next area, you don't have t finish every single quest in each zone". Otherwise I think I might go insane or burn out on this one.

Here's a question though- I just got the in game message to go back and visit colony 6 in between story breaks. So I just got inside of Bionis and haven't done anything since then. So Should I go back now and do the colony 6 stuff, or is it even worth it? If it's just a bunch of side quests with nothing substantial to add I think I will skip colony 6.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 13, 2012, 02:48:14 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on April 13, 2012, 02:22:41 PM

I'm finding that I have to tell myself "It's ok to move on to the next area, you don't have t finish every single quest in each zone". Otherwise I think I might go insane or burn out on this one.

plus the XP return doesn't seem to be that great after a certain point, so I think I'm just going to finish the ones that are open and not pick up new ones.

finished the collectapedia for the first two areas.  I didn't realize that you had to add the items in manually, so I had quite a few of each one already.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 13, 2012, 02:55:18 PM »

Amen to that.  I don't even bother to actively hunt down any of the monster or collection quests anymore.  If I happen to come across them as I explore, great. If not, oh well.

Really wish there was an "auto-equip best" option.  Managing gear is a pain.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 13, 2012, 03:59:31 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 13, 2012, 02:48:14 PM

plus the XP return doesn't seem to be that great after a certain point, so I think I'm just going to finish the ones that are open and not pick up new ones.

finished the collectapedia for the first two areas.  I didn't realize that you had to add the items in manually, so I had quite a few of each one already.

Son of a B* you have to add them eh?  Now I know why those boxes had no graphics in them, as said before a guide or much better instructions would be nice.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: April 13, 2012, 05:02:49 PM »

Was being a completionist this morning and exploring the lake around Colony 6.  Stumbled on a level *70* piranha just past AA Battery 3 with my level 6 party.  *boggle*

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 13, 2012, 05:04:32 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on April 13, 2012, 05:02:49 PM

Was being a completionist this morning and exploring the lake around Colony 6.  Stumbled on a level *70* piranha just past AA Battery 3 with my level 6 party.  *boggle*

don't you mean Colony 9?  icon_wink

Because I can,
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 13, 2012, 05:23:45 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 13, 2012, 05:04:32 PM

Quote from: Dreamshadow on April 13, 2012, 05:02:49 PM

don't you mean Colony 9?  icon_wink

I hope so, otherwise I just realized I'm moving reeeeeeeeeealy slowly in this game.  My party just hit level 22 (around 13 hours), and I just barely got to Colony 6.   eek

I've run across a ton of those high-level monsters wandering around normal areas.  Really keeps you on your toes in terms of who you attack.

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: April 13, 2012, 05:29:45 PM »

*nod* Colony 9, Thank you.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 14, 2012, 02:45:24 AM »

Two questions:

1.  I assume that there will eventually be a use for all this crap I keep collecting, right?  I could have sold It all off for a fortune, but keep hanging onto it thinking that I'll eventually use it for some sort of crafting.  Nearly 16 hours in and that hasnt happened yet.

2.  Has anyone been able to initiate a heart to heart?  I did the very first one, but out of the other half dozen I've come across, none of them have been able to be activated.  Maybe they're just something you go back and do during the late game?

Bonus question:  Does having someone in your party during combat increase affinity between party members?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 03:27:59 AM by Gratch » Logged

Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: April 14, 2012, 03:57:49 AM »

1) I'm not sure. I've played about 60 hours, and there's just a few things that I've been able to use so far. However, money isn't really a big deal, so don't go selling stuff unless you need to.

2) It takes time to get heart-to-hearts to work. You have to spend lots of time building up your affinity, but fortunately, in the list of heart-to-hearts the ones you can actually do are darker than the others.

But yes, definitely, having someone in combat with you improves their affinity, but specifically with the main character.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 14, 2012, 05:25:17 AM »

Just finished the Ether Mine and you guessed it...missing one single collectible item.     icon_evil  Given how that level ended, my guess is that I won't get the chance to go back and search again either.

Fuck it, I'm not losing any sleep over searching every nook and cranny to gather these stupid things anymore.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 14, 2012, 05:39:58 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 14, 2012, 05:25:17 AM

Just finished the Ether Mine and you guessed it...missing one single collectible item.     icon_evil  Given how that level ended, my guess is that I won't get the chance to go back and search again either.

Fuck it, I'm not losing any sleep over searching every nook and cranny to gather these stupid things anymore.

You can go back, you just can't access the final area.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: April 14, 2012, 04:19:58 PM »

Yeah, don't even worry about it. Just move on. It's not like the rewards are SO AMAZING that you have to do it, it's just another special bonus you can get.

Also, it's not in the manual, but you can give those collectibles to your party members, like giving gifts from one person to another, which increases their affinity. Some items one character will like while another one will hate, so it takes a little experimenting.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 15, 2012, 05:26:46 AM »

Xenoblade is starting to feel a little bit too much like an MMO.  Spent the last 3 hours working my way through the Satori Marsh, grinding the same half dozen baddies over and over and over and over and over again.  There hasn't been a single story narrative to break it up...just trudging through this ginormous area trying to make sure I don't miss any hidden corners of the map.  Honestly, it's been so long since I've seen a cutscene that I can't really remember why I'm slogging around this swamp in the first place.  I think I'm getting pretty close to the next goal, and hopefully that gives the story a bit of a jumpstart.

Regarding named monsters, I'm wondering if it's better to wait to fight one until you see if there's a quest associated with killing them?  I've run up against a number of uniques and killed them, then gotten a quest later from an NPC.  Problem is, I go back to try and find them after I have the quest and they never seem show up again.  Not sure if that's a bug or if you're supposed to have to kill them twice.

Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: April 15, 2012, 04:34:56 PM »

A few recommendations:

Don't bother searching high and low in the maps when you first get to them. If you take quests, you'll get to see everything in the map anyway.

The Satorl Marsh sucks and I hated it. There are just three areas you need to know about: One, the Nopon that are at the entrance. Two, the cave right at the end of the Marsh that has a Nopon in it. He gives you a few quests. Three, the big fortress in the east side of the map. Don't worry about exploring it, because there are quests that will take you into it for specific purposes.

Named monsters are fun to beat up, and you get an Achievement for killing a bunch of them, but don't go out of your way to take them on. Also, remember that uniques appear under certain conditions, like "it has to be daytime" or "it has to be raining" or "it has to be a hot day." (The last one is seriously a condition. Not making it up.)

You also can't kill uniques, leave and come back and expect them to be there. It seems like there's a respawn time in between.

Either way, just get to the end of Satorl Marsh and don't spend too much time running around in it. It's bland-looking, except at night, when everything is at least 10 levels higher than you and aggressive.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: April 17, 2012, 10:44:17 PM »

Want a reconstruction guide for Colony 6? GamesRadar's got one.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 17, 2012, 10:48:25 PM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on April 15, 2012, 04:34:56 PM

Named monsters are fun to beat up, and you get an Achievement for killing a bunch of them, but don't go out of your way to take them on. Also, remember that uniques appear under certain conditions, like "it has to be daytime" or "it has to be raining" or "it has to be a hot day." (The last one is seriously a condition. Not making it up.)

I got one 'must be killed during a thunderstorm', at which point I said out loud 'there's weather in this game?'.  I haven't seen anything beyond it switching from night and day.

Because I can,
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 18, 2012, 02:05:09 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 17, 2012, 10:48:25 PM

Quote from: Eel Snave on April 15, 2012, 04:34:56 PM

I got one 'must be killed during a thunderstorm', at which point I said out loud 'there's weather in this game?'.  I haven't seen anything beyond it switching from night and day.

Yeah, in that area, it can rain.  I got that one the other day when I was playing.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: April 19, 2012, 03:02:08 AM »

And you'll find the "must be killed on a hot day" when you're in Makna Forest. You only know if it's a hot day because you don't hear ambient wildlife, like bugs and things.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 20, 2012, 03:58:21 AM »

Tom Chick says:

Quote from: Tom Chick
I would normally be reluctant to widely recommend a game this long, but the beauty of Xenoblade Chronicles is that none of its 100+ hours felt like filler. There was no grinding. There were no empty stretches. If an area got tedious or felt overlong, I could almost always do something else meaningful. It’s astonishing to me that the pacing in a game I played for 120 hours is so much better than the pacing in 30-hour games like Mass Effect 3 or The Witcher 2.

There’s a lot more to recommend Xenoblade Chronicles. The dialogue, the humor, the artwork, the prophecy system, the music, the variety of environments, the character progression, the crafting system, the crazy quest density, the quest quality, the memorable characters, the collectibles, the secrets, and so on. This is a landmark achievement in the genre. As of its release, you can no longer talk about great RPGs, or maybe even great games, without also talking about Xenoblade Chronicles.

I don't seem to dislike as many games as Tom does, but the ones he recommends are almost always big winners with me.  I'm really looking forward to trying this out for myself! thumbsup

-Autistic Angel
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 20, 2012, 04:20:45 AM »

I see they subscribe to the 'less is more' rule for armor on Sharla so far.  it seems the best armor I've found for her is the most revealing, which has resulted in significant eye rolls from certain parties.  of course I'm not as far as I want to be thanks to having to share the TV with said party as she plays Xenosaga, so maybe Sharla will get a platemail suit at some point.

Because I can,
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 28, 2012, 02:54:07 PM »

I'll be crossing the 30 hour mark tonight, just got the the Nopon Village.  The size and scope of this game is very impressive.  Outside of the Satori Marsh, all the areas have been very fun to explore.  I finally got around to switching up my party and swapped out Reyn for Dunban.  Seems a pretty even switch so far.  Once I stopped actively looking for quests and collectables, the game became infinitely more fun to play.  I still take every quest I come across, but rather than specifically seeking out monsters, bosses, items, etc, i just make sure i search every area to 100% and hopefully find the quest item.  If not, oh well.  This paradigm shift has made a ton of difference in enjoying the game vs the game driving me nuts.

One thing that baffles me is how most of the reviews praised the solid story and interesting characters.  Maybe I just haven't hit the main story areas yet, but so far everything has been rather cliche JRPG-101.  Since it often goes loooooooong stretches without any sort of narrative at all, the story seems very disjointed and nothing more than a means to shuffle you from place to place.  So far, I'd say it's the weakest element of the game, which surprises me

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 28, 2012, 11:38:49 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 28, 2012, 02:54:07 PM

One thing that baffles me is how most of the reviews praised the solid story and interesting characters.  Maybe I just haven't hit the main story areas yet, but so far everything has been rather cliche JRPG-101.  Since it often goes loooooooong stretches without any sort of narrative at all, the story seems very disjointed and nothing more than a means to shuffle you from place to place.  So far, I'd say it's the weakest element of the game, which surprises me

This troubles me greatly. Story was a main reason why I wanted to play the game.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 29, 2012, 12:27:00 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on April 28, 2012, 11:38:49 PM

Quote from: Gratch on April 28, 2012, 02:54:07 PM

This troubles me greatly. Story was a main reason why I wanted to play the game.

To be fair, lots of that could be due to the way I'm choosing to play.  I'll comb through every corner of an area before hitting the clearly marked "plot advance" point.  This leads to 4-5 hour stretches with no dialog or plot advancement at all.  Those who arent quite as thorough might feel the story flows better.

Still, the story parts that have been there haven't been terribly compelling.  The voice acting is very good, the story itself just hasn't really grabbed me, nor has it felt nearly as unique as I was expecting from the reviews.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 29, 2012, 12:48:29 AM »

The story starts to ramp up quite a bit once you get to the forest and beyond.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: April 29, 2012, 01:06:16 AM »

Plus, the story is intriguing because it starts out as a standard revenge story and unfolds a lot more. The story is also helped along by the interactions between the characters in the Heart-to-Hearts.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 29, 2012, 01:17:27 AM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on April 29, 2012, 01:06:16 AM

Plus, the story is intriguing because it starts out as a standard revenge story and unfolds a lot more. The story is also helped along by the interactions between the characters in the Heart-to-Hearts.

Glad to hear it picks up, been very underwhelming and straightforward so far.

I've come across probably 20 heart to hearts, but have only been able to access one.  It's gotten to the point where I don't even bother checking them anymore.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 07, 2012, 12:43:30 AM »

Closing in on 40 hours, and the story is finally getting interesting (after the events leading up to and on Prison Island).  Took it long enough, but the plot seems to have a full head of steam now with some very cool twists and turns.  Wish I hadn't completely forgotten about the whole Colony 6 rebuild thing though.  I'll probably have a lot of tedious backtracking to do because I never bothered to pick up those quests hours ago.

Can anyone give me some basic info on how crafting works?  I'm completely baffled, even after reading through the tutorials.  There's so many variables (flame levels, support characters, crafting turns, etc.) and components (cylinders, crystals, etc.) and I honestly don't have a clue what the hell I'm doing.  I typically just wait for my crystal inventory to get full, then throw a bunch of stuff into the gem forge, watch a hundred different percentages bounce around, and hope that something useful comes out the other end.

A couple things are still driving me nuts:

1.  No ability to track individual quests.  If you're a completionist, I can guarantee that this game will drive you in-farking-sane.  For example, I got a quest towards the end of my 6-8 hours spent in the Eryth Sea to kill a unique monster, and gather some materials.  Since I've spent a boatload of time in this area, did I somehow kill this particular unique already?  If not, where do I find either him or the materials he's requesting?  No clue on either one, so I just don't bother even looking for them.  This is probably the first RPG I've ever played where I have far more open/unfinished quests in my log than completed.  Without any indication of where quest locations/loot/target/etc. or NPC's can be found, it's simply not worth the hassle.

2.  The heart-to-hearts.  According to my log, I have now discovered 36 heart-to-heart locations...and have been able to access three of them.  Three.  In nearly 40 hours of play.   Roll Eyes  Hell, most of them don't even give any indication of what characters I'm supposed to have in the party to trigger them.  It's frustrating knowing that lots of the party relationship dialog is built on these dialogs, yet they are (for the most part) entirely inaccessible for whatever reason.

Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: May 07, 2012, 03:16:11 AM »

I still don't understand crafting, and I'm 80 hours in. However, here's a guide that might help:

http://xenoblade.wikia.com/wiki/Gem_Crafting

As far as Heart-To-Hearts, if it doesn't tell you which characters to use, that's because you might be missing certain characters at this point. Keep playing, don't worry about the Heart-to-Hearts, and eventually you'll have all the characters.
Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: May 14, 2012, 03:34:26 PM »

I'm still plugging away with this game.  I'm at Earyth Sea/Alcamath and finding this area confusing so far.  Very hard to move around on Earyth Sea.

There is so much to do in this game.  I'm 30 hours in and feel like I'm barely scratching the surface of things even though everyone is lvl 41.  I've been switching out different parties to help raise everyone's affinity but that's slow going.  I hear there's a way to trade shinies with people, but I haven't really figured out how to do that yet.

Still having a blast when I can play.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: May 14, 2012, 10:39:18 PM »

Eryth Sea threw me off at first too. You'll have to refer to the map a bit, and then you should be able to get your bearings.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 14, 2012, 11:35:15 PM »

Yeah, Eryth takes a while to get used to.  Once you hit all the platforms, it's pretty easy though.  Keep an eye out for random islands in the water too...I missed a couple the first time through.

I'm still plugging away a little bit, but Xenoblade has made me realize how little gaming stamina I have these days. I've put in 40 hours and am probably only halfway through.  I just can't sustain interest in these 80-hour marathons anymore...anything over 35-40 hours and I'm very likely not to finish.  Sadly, I'm about 99% sure Xenoblade will end up in that pile...especially with D3 coming out tonight.  frown

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: