http://gamingtrend.com
April 23, 2014, 07:22:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xenoblade coming to Europe, presumably US  (Read 4273 times)
Zinfan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 07, 2012, 08:32:33 PM »

Thanks a lot guys!  All I need is another game I won't have time to play.  But yes I did head to GameStop and fought the unruly crowd and got the game along with a classic pro controller.  I had to search high and low to find my Wii cables but as of now the system is updating.  I have no idea how long it has been since I turned on the system but it had Super Mario Galaxy in the machine, I'm sure that is the last game I bought for the Wii.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: April 07, 2012, 08:50:29 PM »

Anyone know if the gamecube controller works for this?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2012, 09:47:10 PM »

Nope.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2012, 11:06:48 PM »

Quote from: Zinfan on April 07, 2012, 08:32:33 PM

Thanks a lot guys!  All I need is another game I won't have time to play.  But yes I did head to GameStop and fought the unruly crowd and got the game along with a classic pro controller.  I had to search high and low to find my Wii cables but as of now the system is updating.  I have no idea how long it has been since I turned on the system but it had Super Mario Galaxy in the machine, I'm sure that is the last game I bought for the Wii.

You know...Super Mario Galaxy 2 was pretty darn awesome. Tongue

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 07, 2012, 11:50:31 PM »

good thing I decided to look through the tutorials, as several of them were marked 'new' and I didn't realize that not all of them were automatically popping up.  turns out one of those was about spending AP to upgrade your Arts-  I was level 10 at that point.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2012, 12:29:11 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 07, 2012, 01:21:38 AM

Tom Chick put together a very good "Things I wish I would have known about Xenoblade when I started" article here.  Some very good advice for those of us just starting out.

This piece:

Quote from: Tom Chick
* Some quests are labeled with a stopwatch. The tutorial screen — you are reading the tutorial screens as they pop up, aren’t you? — indicates you should do these as quickly as possible, because there will be a point in the story when you can’t do them anymore. Don’t fret! That moment won’t be along until near the end of the game. Feel free to push forward at whatever pace you like. Contrary to the tutorial, the stopwatch quests aren’t going away anytime soon.

is not entirely true.  There are some early game quests that can go away well before the mid point of the game.  It's pretty obvious which ones (and the game will give you a vague prompt) but if you really want to know:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Any quests that you do for the colonists living in the cave on the Bionis Leg will go away when you let them return to Colony 6.  So you need to complete all of those quests before telling them to relocate.

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2012, 04:12:52 AM »

Thank you for all the great impressions, everyone. Once I finish Mass Effect 3, it is on to this.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 08, 2012, 04:50:15 AM »

Feeling a bit of quest fatigue, since NPC's are giving me something do seemingly every time I turn around.  I've got this massive list of unfinished stuff from the first area in my quest list, but haven't been able to get back to that area for the last few hours.  Driving the OCD gamer in me nuts.  I'm also somehow missing one gorram collectable from each of the first 2 areas (Colony 9 and the Cave).   icon_evil  Do you get any additional goodies for getting 100% of the collectables in an area?

Game seems to have taken a pretty significant jump in difficulty the last couple hours once I added another party member.  I've gotten my ass handed to me quite a few times (typically by unique monsters), and I'm having to put much more thought into my battle strategy.  Oh, and this game is f'n huge.  There's just so much to explore that I have a hard time staying focused on any particular quest or objective.  That's not a bad thing, mind you.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 08, 2012, 05:58:14 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 08, 2012, 04:50:15 AM

Feeling a bit of quest fatigue, since NPC's are giving me something do seemingly every time I turn around.  I've got this massive list of unfinished stuff from the first area in my quest list, but haven't been able to get back to that area for the last few hours.  Driving the OCD gamer in me nuts.  I'm also somehow missing one gorram collectable from each of the first 2 areas (Colony 9 and the Cave).   icon_evil  Do you get any additional goodies for getting 100% of the collectables in an area?

Game seems to have taken a pretty significant jump in difficulty the last couple hours once I added another party member.  I've gotten my ass handed to me quite a few times (typically by unique monsters), and I'm having to put much more thought into my battle strategy.  Oh, and this game is f'n huge.  There's just so much to explore that I have a hard time staying focused on any particular quest or objective.  That's not a bad thing, mind you.

Wait, you mean it's not just bunnies the whole time?!

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 09, 2012, 12:39:06 AM »

This game is awesome.  My party is level 22 right now and I'm still getting introduced to new game systems -- some major, some minor.  The combat is deep, engaging and sometimes frenetic; and I could see replaying it just to get used to using other characters as "main".  At this point in my playthrough, I am most reminded of final fantasy XII, but there are so many differences, I can't quite put my finger on exactly why, except that combat occurs on the exploration map in both games.

They put a lot of care into telling the story, too.  I'm consistently blown away by the thoroughness and intelligibility of the cut scenes and other story segments.  This is not something I'm used to in Japanese story-based games. 

As Gratch implied, if you are a completionist, the sheer quantity of quests, and the way they keep popping up when you think you've finished an area, could easily drive you crazy.  I agree with everything else Gratch says about player-friendliness.  This the most playable JRPG I've ever played, by far. 

My only real issue is the graphics -- which look absolutely awful (to my mind) on my 47" lcd.  You can tell that they put a lot of effort into the environments, and the art direction is excellent.  It's just painful to interact with the game through a display that desperately wants to be HD.

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 09, 2012, 12:55:36 AM »

Quote from: Hotfreak on April 09, 2012, 12:39:06 AM

This game is awesome.  My party is level 22 right now and I'm still getting introduced to new game systems -- some major, some minor.  The combat is deep, engaging and sometimes frenetic; and I could see replaying it just to get used to using other characters as "main".  At this point in my playthrough, I am most reminded of final fantasy XII, but there are so many differences, I can't quite put my finger on exactly why, except that combat occurs on the exploration map in both games.

They put a lot of care into telling the story, too.  I'm consistently blown away by the thoroughness and intelligibility of the cut scenes and other story segments.  This is not something I'm used to in Japanese story-based games. 

As Gratch implied, if you are a completionist, the sheer quantity of quests, and the way they keep popping up when you think you've finished an area, could easily drive you crazy.  I agree with everything else Gratch says about player-friendliness.  This the most playable JRPG I've ever played, by far. 

My only real issue is the graphics -- which look absolutely awful (to my mind) on my 47" lcd.  You can tell that they put a lot of effort into the environments, and the art direction is excellent.  It's just painful to interact with the game through a display that desperately wants to be HD.

I've played this game on both my 55 inch tv and my 37 inch tv, both in 480p and the 37 inch tv makes the game look MUCH better, it's actually good looking on that tv. the 55 inch on the other hand is just too big. The low resolution really pops out on that one making it look like a last gen game. It really is a last gen game graphically, but it is at the top of the last gen pile as far as looks, it's just that we are used to hig res high polygon count games now.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 09, 2012, 12:58:26 AM »

99% of the time I've been playing as Reyn (Tank), and it's very challenging/rewarding completing a tough battle without your other party members getting a scratch. Reyn so far is the hardest to play, while the AI does an okay job controlling him. However during difficult boss battles when I use Shulk or another DPS party member, replaying the battle as Reyn is much easier keeping your party alive.

Sent from my IPhone

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: April 09, 2012, 01:36:03 AM »

I knew people would like this game! This makes me incredibly happy to see. It's really a tremendous RPG.
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 09, 2012, 02:06:28 AM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on April 09, 2012, 12:58:26 AM

99% of the time I've been playing as Reyn (Tank), and it's very challenging/rewarding completing a tough battle without your other party members getting a scratch. Reyn so far is the hardest to play, while the AI does an okay job controlling him. However during difficult boss battles when I use Shulk or another DPS party member, replaying the battle as Reyn is much easier keeping your party alive.

Sent from my IPhone
How do you have Reyn set up?

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 09, 2012, 05:01:39 AM »

I kept my old 27" SD CRT for my Wii. Everything looks great on that. On my 55" plasma, every Wii game looks like ass. I absolutely hate keeping that frickin' huge TV around just for the Wii.  icon_mad
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 09, 2012, 02:58:35 PM »

I'm about 7 hours or so in and still loving the game.  I play it on a 46" TV and obviously it isn't up to par with a PS3 or 360 game, but I don't think it looks that bad.  Story has been great so far and I really love the combat system of the game.

USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 09, 2012, 03:40:52 PM »

Quote from: Hotfreak on April 09, 2012, 02:06:28 AM

Quote from: USMC Kato on April 09, 2012, 12:58:26 AM

Sent from my IPhone
How do you have Reyn set up?

All my gems are focused on HP and Muscle Up (Phys damage resist). Of course I switch it up on bosses with that have ether type attacks.
There is really no need to increase Reyn's DPS/Strength. For skills I focus on having the defense and debuff auras up all the time. The only time I have trouble is when Shulk does his back attack which does drag damage, and usually that's when I have some problems getting aggro back.

Semper Fidelis

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 09, 2012, 04:05:06 PM »

Is there something (maybe I should check the manual) that explains what all the stats do?  I assume, for instance, that high Ether would mean that heals would do more healing.  Agility is about dodging?  Anyone have a good grasp on the stats?

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: April 09, 2012, 10:13:22 PM »

I am in love with this title.  It's hitting the same buttons that FF12 did, with that pseudo MMO feel.  That's all I have to say right now, other than  it sucks that I got hit with a power outage...  it had been about an hour since I saved.  I hate those moments.  DARN STORM!

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: April 09, 2012, 10:46:55 PM »

OK, here's what I understand:

'Ether' is the magic system. Attacks can be either physical or ether-based, just like a physical or magic-based attack in another game. The more powerful your ether stat, the stronger your magic will be. Therefore, 'ether defense' akin to magic defense.

'Agility' enables you to hit/avoid getting hit. That's why if you go back and beat the crap out of low-level enemies later on, they can't even hit you.
Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 10, 2012, 02:43:41 PM »

I'm just chiming in to say I bought this yesterday and I've played about an hour.  I really have no opinion yet as I'm just running around the first town area getting the lay of the land and taking on quests.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 10, 2012, 03:49:34 PM »

I just love it when I complete the full collection page for an area.  Finished up Colony 9 and the Cave last night and you get a reward, not only for each line that you fill, but for filling the whole thing.  I spent some time finishing off all the side quests I had last night in Colony 9 and the Cave and tonight will move on with the story.  There are probably even more side quests in those areas (in fact, I even got some last night while trying to close things out and closed out even the new ones).  About the only one I couldn't do was for some named monster who I killed before I got the quest and he hasn't respawned yet.  I looked it up and people said to go at a certain time to get him to spawn, but I did and he still didn't, so I will move on and come back later.  Love, love, love this game.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 11, 2012, 02:16:25 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on April 10, 2012, 03:49:34 PM

I just love it when I complete the full collection page for an area.  Finished up Colony 9 and the Cave last night and you get a reward, not only for each line that you fill, but for filling the whole thing.  I spent some time finishing off all the side quests I had last night in Colony 9 and the Cave and tonight will move on with the story.  There are probably even more side quests in those areas (in fact, I even got some last night while trying to close things out and closed out even the new ones).  About the only one I couldn't do was for some named monster who I killed before I got the quest and he hasn't respawned yet.  I looked it up and people said to go at a certain time to get him to spawn, but I did and he still didn't, so I will move on and come back later.  Love, love, love this game.

The collection aspect is becoming one of my minor gripes with Xenoblsde.  I thought I was being very thorough in my exploration, but somehow missed one item in both of the first two areas.  The way the system is set up, I have no indication of what I'm looking for and since the blue orbs continually respawn, there isn't even a way to know what areas I might have missed.  My only option is to run around randomly picking up orbs and hope that I get lucky and stumble onto the one I missed.  Not exactly my idea of fun.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 11, 2012, 03:28:35 AM »

I'm with Gratch. Wish there was some indication on the quests as to where the hell things could be. Unless I'm missing something.

Otherwise, it's fun!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 11, 2012, 03:41:18 AM »

Quote from: Devil on April 11, 2012, 03:28:35 AM

I'm with Gratch. Wish there was some indication on the quests as to where the hell things could be. Unless I'm missing something.

Otherwise, it's fun!

Yeah I use the xenoblade wiki for npc locations and times to cut down on the frustration

Semper Fidelis

Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 11, 2012, 04:59:02 AM »

Otherwise, it's fun!
If it's people, they keep a general schedule and move around.

Playing: ? 360 | FO: New Vegas | BF4 PC / 360 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 11, 2012, 12:01:43 PM »

Quote from: Kagath on April 11, 2012, 04:59:02 AM

Otherwise, it's fun!
If it's people, they keep a general schedule and move around.

I was talking more about the collectable items in each area, but it can apply to the quests as well...especially the "kill 5 rabbits" sort of quests.  Not asking them to put a big exclamation mark over the monster's heads, but at least some indicator of the general area of what I'm supposed to be looking for (SWTOR did a great job of this) would be awesome. 

As player-friendly as Xenoblade is, I'm a little surprised they missed any sort of "make this my active quest" option.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 11, 2012, 01:06:00 PM »

I've just completed them through normal running around while exploring. I've never just gone around trying to find the one left. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've done three areas now this way.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 11, 2012, 01:09:58 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on April 11, 2012, 01:06:00 PM

I've just completed them through normal running around while exploring. I've never just gone around trying to find the one left. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've done three areas now this way.

Yep, you got lucky.  According to the maps, I've explored every inch of both Colony 9 and the Cave, but didn't come across the last collectable for either one.

I did finish off Colony 6 at 100% last night though, so I'm now 1 for 3.  smile

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 11, 2012, 02:06:44 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 11, 2012, 01:09:58 PM

Quote from: The Grue on April 11, 2012, 01:06:00 PM

Yep, you got lucky.  According to the maps, I've explored every inch of both Colony 9 and the Cave, but didn't come across the last collectable for either one.

I did finish off Colony 6 at 100% last night though, so I'm now 1 for 3.  smile

I finished all three with 100% by just running around doing the quests. So I think this is a case of Gratch not getting lucky.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 11, 2012, 02:15:46 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on April 11, 2012, 02:06:44 PM

So I think this is a case of Gratch not getting lucky.

that's what she said.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 11, 2012, 02:19:30 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on April 11, 2012, 02:06:44 PM

So I think this is a case of Gratch not getting lucky.

Story of my life.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 11, 2012, 02:31:06 PM »

Thats what she said!  icon_biggrin

At least you have the game.  Nintendo apparently decided to ship my order by turtle covered wagon.  Projected delivery is Friday. 

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 11, 2012, 02:59:52 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on April 11, 2012, 02:31:06 PM

Nintendo apparently decided to ship my order by turtle covered wagon.  Projected delivery is Friday. 

Or even worse:

http://footage.shutterstock.com/clip-1824902-stock-footage-turtle-overtaking-slow-moving-covered-wagon.html

Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: April 11, 2012, 04:26:07 PM »

This is actually how it's arriving.
Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 11, 2012, 04:28:11 PM »

I'm really bad at combat so far.  Almost every named will kill my party.  I'm just getting started though, maybe I will improve.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 11, 2012, 05:21:34 PM »

Quote from: Dramatist on April 11, 2012, 04:28:11 PM

I'm really bad at combat so far.  Almost every named will kill my party.  I'm just getting started though, maybe I will improve.

Who are you controlling?  I'm mostly playing as Shulk, and he is all about positioning...lining a baddie up for the side attack that lowers defense then hit them from behind for mucho damage.  Named can be really tough, even when they're even or slightly lower level that your party.  I'm still a little fuzzy on a couple things though:  chain attacks and the skill meter.  Maybe you guys can answer a couple questions:

1.  My understanding is that the skill meter (top left, 3 blue bars) fills up as you do normal attacks, and when it's full you can launch a chain attack.  Is that correct?
2.  I remember seeing that if each character uses the same color skill during a chain, it ups the effectiveness, but I haven't really found many that compliment each other this way.  Are there any combos you all recommend that seem to work well?

My biggest problem with combat is figuring out what actions my other party members are taking so that I can react appropriately.  Everyone just seems to be jumping around doing a bunch of...stuff, and I have no idea if I'm actually being effective or not.

Oh, and can someone shed some light on the B-button circle during combat?  I always hit it when it comes up, but don't have any idea what it actually does.  smile

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 11, 2012, 05:31:22 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 11, 2012, 05:21:34 PM

1.  My understanding is that the skill meter (top left, 3 blue bars) fills up as you do normal attacks, and when it's full you can launch a chain attack.  Is that correct?

Yes, this is the case.  You will also see a blue line form between your party members letting you know a chain is available.  I also found out recently that bad guys can do it, too, and the ones that did had a red line form between them.  At any rate, once you have it filled, go to the center ability in the ability bar and press down twice (or now that I think about it, you might be able to press up once) and you will be on the chain icon.  Hit that to launch it.

2.  I remember seeing that if each character uses the same color skill during a chain, it ups the effectiveness, but I haven't really found many that compliment each other this way.  Are there any combos you all recommend that seem to work well?

This is definitely true.  I've kind of just been sticking with the dark red colored ones, but will probably start experimenting soon.

Oh, and can someone shed some light on the B-button circle during combat?  I always hit it when it comes up, but don't have any idea what it actually does.  smile

So, the one that you can start before you get into combat raises your party tension.  Not sure if you've noticed, but you will see the character portraits turn from normal faces to angry faces and then even have flames on the portrait.  The higher the tension, the better those party members will do (more criticals, etc.).  The ones that happen during combat help you fill up the party meter quicker so you can do chains more often.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 06:48:54 PM by The Grue » Logged

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 11, 2012, 05:47:27 PM »

This game REALLY needs a guide!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 12, 2012, 07:58:34 AM »

Quote from: Devil on April 11, 2012, 05:47:27 PM

This game REALLY needs a guide!

I had so much trouble in the fight where you can't use the bitchen sword, they are trying to teach chain attacks but the instructions were so vague it took me for ever to figure out the chain attack button and where it was. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: