http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 05:09:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360/PC/PS3] XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Enemy Within expansion!  (Read 42941 times)
TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #760 on: January 08, 2013, 12:51:25 PM »

Quote from: ATB on January 08, 2013, 12:11:32 PM

Quote from: Turtle on January 08, 2013, 09:48:24 AM

•   AI teleport bug fix
o   Minimizes the bug where aliens teleport into the middle of a player’s squad

See? The bug did exist. It's very rare, only occuring once an entire game, maybe once every two games. I've only played through twice, but I had it happen once in each play through.

Nice to see it fixed.

Quoted for TILT.

Why? I've seen this bug in action too. What's your point exactly?
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #761 on: January 08, 2013, 04:45:44 PM »

FYI for folks... I haven't finished my first campaign, so when I tried to start another campaign, here are the only Second Wave options offered:

And for those wondering, here is a list of all the options plus descriptions from GameInformer:

Damage Roulette: Weapons have a wider range of damage.
    New Economy: Randomized council member funding.
    Not Created Equally: Rookies will have random starting stats.
    Hidden Potential: As a soldier is promoted, stats increase randomly.
    Red Fog: Combat wounds will degrade the soldier’s mission stats.
    Absolutely Critical: A flanking shot guarantees a critical hit.
    The Greater Good: Psionics can only be learned from interrogating a psionic alien.
    Marathon: The game takes considerably longer to complete.
    Results Driven: A country offers less funding as its panic level increases.
    High Stakes: Random rewards for stopping alien abductions.
    Diminishing Returns: Increased cost of satellite construction.
    More Than Human: The psionic gift is extremely rare.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 04:47:42 PM by jztemple2 » Logged

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #762 on: January 08, 2013, 05:18:26 PM »

I think there are actually additional options from the ones listed above that open up if you beat the game on Impossible (something about Elirium having a half-life and one where funding levels drop every month).
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #763 on: January 08, 2013, 09:54:31 PM »

RPS tracked down Jake Solomon for some comments (the publisher's forums on X-COM have basically become devoid of any official info in recent months):

Solomon Vows: Firaxis on XCOM’s Second Wave Add-On
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/01/08/solomon-vows-firaxis-on-xcoms-second-wave-add-on/
Jake Solomon: It’s sort of like the Iron Man option, but there are sixteen options in total and they just sort of change the way that the game plays. When it goes live, you’ll automatically get four new options to play the game and there are 12 other options that unlock if you beat the game on normal, classic and impossible. And it’s retroactive, so if you’ve already beaten the game it will recognise that and unlock all the other options as well.
RPS: So you need to have beaten all three difficulty settings to get all the new options? I’m not sure I can ever finish it on Impossible.

Jake Solomon: Right, and I’m typically not a big fan of unlocks, but the reason why we decided to do that is that the ones that are behind Classic and especially Impossible are really, really punishing. The idea with the unlocks behind Impossible are… Well, I said this about Impossible and it turned out not to be true. People have beaten impossible Iron Man, but this time, I’m telling you, it really won’t be about beating the game but rather it’s supposed to be like a roguelike. It’s a little more like Dwarf Fortress, like how long you can survive not that you can beat the game. I say that knowing full well somebody will beat the game with those options unlocked.
The idea for Second Wave came about really, really late in the project – well past alpha, well past beta probably. ...

So we were right at the end and I was sort of running out of things to do, so I was reading comments, and honestly it was probably RPS, but people were worried about how the original did something and it doesn't sound like this game would. I started thinking, 'well, this stuff's not actually that hard to give to people.' So I started working on this Second Wave thing really, really late in the project, and the idea was never to release it with the core game, but to release it later.

Some of those options are meant to mimic the original game in that they're more unpredictable. Things like weapons have a wider range of damage, rookies have random starting stats, their stats will increase randomly. Marathon mode at least doubles the length of the game, if not triples. So things that can give you a little bit more of the feel of the original game.
Oh, as Ralph-Wiggum pointed out above:
And once you’ve completed the game on Impossible difficulty (which seems something of a contradiction):
War Weariness: Funding goes down over time.
E-115: Elerium degrades over time.
Total Loss: Lose all soldier gear upon death.
Alternate Sources: The power source cost to build facilities increases dramatically.
RPS plans another interview with Solomon that's more of a post-mortem on the game and a look to the future.

My impression is the game sold well but not Spectacularly. Hopefully though, well enough that turn-based squad strategy games won't be a pariah anymore.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 10:02:40 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
KC

View Profile
« Reply #764 on: January 23, 2013, 02:04:04 AM »

I'm about to start the final assault mission of the game.  Should I staff my team with more support members to take advantage of their multiple medkits? Is it important to have more than 1 psi soldier? Also, has anyone used a Shiv on the final mission?
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #765 on: January 23, 2013, 11:23:09 AM »

I always wish I have more medikits, but I completed it on Classic with 1 support guy. So not necessary, but always handy.
A shiv might be interesting, because there might be just a bit of mind control fun going on smile
1 psi soldier is enough, just be sure to protect him/her!
KC

View Profile
« Reply #766 on: January 27, 2013, 11:35:27 PM »

Just finished the game and loved it.  Loved the atmosphere and tension.  During the final boss fight, my colonel uber-sniper had a perfect headshot lined up . . . and missed.  I had to charge with one my Support team to deliver the killing shot.

Minor spoilers below for some minor comment/unfulfilled wishes:

Spoiler for Hiden:

1. The end reminded me of Star Trek II. I guess the sequel can have us searching for the soldier who sacrificed himself.

2.  Would it have killed them to include a medal award ceremony at the end like in Star Wars? Look Ma, I save the world and all I got was to watch the ending credits!

3.  I wish that there were more weapons/armor/accessory types. Not a crazy lots like Diablo, but more toys to play and experiment.

Don't get me wrong, I did love the game.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #767 on: March 24, 2013, 09:27:40 AM »

Firaxis may be teasing a sequel or expansion at PAX.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #768 on: March 24, 2013, 10:19:39 AM »

Expansion most likely. They love expansions.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #769 on: March 24, 2013, 11:10:41 AM »

Now we'll just have to speculate on whether this is a variant of Terror From the Deep, or something else entirely.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #770 on: March 24, 2013, 01:27:20 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on March 24, 2013, 11:10:41 AM

Now we'll just have to speculate on whether this is a variant of Terror From the Deep, or something else entirely.

Didn't X-Com Apocalypse have aliens from another dimension that appeared and disappeared quickly?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
siege

View Profile
« Reply #771 on: March 24, 2013, 03:14:03 PM »

http://ign.com/videos/2013/03/23/xcom-enemy-unknown-ipad-tour

Xcom coming to iOS this summer. Interestingly enough, it's the complete version with only some maps missing.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #772 on: March 24, 2013, 03:51:06 PM »

Quote from: siege on March 24, 2013, 03:14:03 PM

Xcom coming to iOS this summer. Interestingly enough, it's the complete version with only some maps missing.

I don't think you understand the word "complete"

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
siege

View Profile
« Reply #773 on: March 24, 2013, 04:32:59 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 24, 2013, 03:51:06 PM

icon_biggrin Obviously not the word I should have used but you know what I meant.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #774 on: March 24, 2013, 05:31:46 PM »

Quote from: siege on March 24, 2013, 04:32:59 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 24, 2013, 03:51:06 PM

icon_biggrin Obviously not the word I should have used but you know what I meant.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #775 on: March 24, 2013, 08:05:57 PM »

And with that, a new sig file message  slywink

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #776 on: March 25, 2013, 12:06:21 PM »

Ha!  Well, that made my day.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #777 on: July 31, 2013, 07:38:24 PM »

new expansion?   seems a bit too soon for a full blown sequel, and Firaxis loves putting out expansions for their games...

Because I can,
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #778 on: July 31, 2013, 11:39:17 PM »

wouldnt mind that at all!
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #779 on: August 01, 2013, 09:35:12 AM »

It looks like we'll find out what Enemy Within is on August 21.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #780 on: August 07, 2013, 07:39:20 PM »

so, XCOM's achievement list has been updated on Steam with a bunch of 'unknown' achievements.... so EXPANSION!

Because I can,
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #781 on: August 07, 2013, 09:55:10 PM »

I have never finished the final mission in XCOM EU so after several months I've gone back to complete it. From the save game I've got the Temple Mission ready to go, but I want some more psi soldiers tested. How do I accelerate time to advance to the next event which is results from the psi testing? Time is advancing at 60x, one second real time for each minute gametime, but is there a way to speed it up or jump ahead?

Never mind, I went back to an old save game and fought the Temple mission several more times till I beat it. Earth is saved, whoopie!  biggrin
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 03:37:39 AM by jztemple2 » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #782 on: August 21, 2013, 11:04:29 AM »

Enemy Within is indeed an expansion:

Enemy Within takes place in the confines of Enemy Unknown, so it's the same game with more stuff. That descriptive noun includes new soldier abilities earned through alien research, such as gene mods and MECs, more commonly known as "mechs," even more commonly known as awesome mechanical exoskeletons that include flamethrowers and grenade launchers.

The expansion also adds new weapons and equipment, new enemies – like the "Mechtoid," a machine-encased Sectoid soldier, more resources, additional "tactical challenges" on maps and much more content for multiplayer.

Because I can,
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #783 on: August 21, 2013, 08:09:00 PM »

Those 40 new maps will be very welcome. I hope they are more varied than the original game's designs.
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #784 on: August 21, 2013, 08:18:50 PM »

I'm looking forward to playing this again.  I finished it once on normal.  Should I man up and switch to hardcore normal or higher difficulty?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #785 on: August 21, 2013, 10:10:34 PM »

Did everyone else name their soldiers horribly offensive names?    icon_eek

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #786 on: August 21, 2013, 10:11:29 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on August 21, 2013, 10:10:34 PM

Did everyone else name their soldiers horribly offensive names?    icon_eek

I named mine after forum members, so yes biggrin

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #787 on: August 22, 2013, 08:11:56 PM »

Blue's pointed out this [Aussie news site] Games On Net interview w/ Firaxis folks...
http://games.on.net/2013/08/xcom-enemy-within-will-expand-enemy-unknown-and-add-replayability-mechtoids-and-more-we-speak-to-firaxis/
*Do note it's an Aussie site, so the dollar amounts at the end are NOT the U.S. prices.  icon_smile
Some of the new units added include an MEC trooper. MEC stands for Mechanized Exoskeleton Cybersuit, a “hulking robotic power armour suit” which soldiers must undergo “drastic surgery” to be able to interface with. “MEC troopers can bring an incredible amount of firepower to a fight, or serve as a rock-solid defender,” say Firaxis. “They make the SHIV look like a dinky toy!”

“In order to construct the MECs and MEC troopers, you’ll need a resource called Meld that we’ve introduced on all the maps. Meld is stored in self-destructing canisters, so if you want it, you’ll have to be a bit aggressive. The risk can be well worth the reward.”

The Sectoids are getting their own power armoured suit, which creates the “Mechtoid”, something Firaxis assure us won’t be a pushover. Additional base construction options will be added, including the Cybernetics Lab which you’ll need for MEC troopers, and the Genetics Lab. The Genetics Lab allows you to use Meld, which means you can modify your soldiers on a genetic level.

Multiplayer is also getting some love. Firaxis explain that they’ve added an offline squad editing and saving system. “This means you can edit and save a multiplayer squad on your own time, which saves having to spend all that time at the start of the battle, and lets you jump right in.”

The official press release:
Spoiler for Hiden:
NEW YORK - Aug. 21, 2013: 2K and Firaxis Games announced today that XCOM®: Enemy Within, the expanded experience of the Game of the Year* award-winning strategy title XCOM: Enemy Unknown, will be available in North America on November 12, 2013 and internationally on November 15, 2013 for Windows PC, Xbox 360 games and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Mac® (distributed by Feral Interactive).

XCOM: Enemy Within, the expanded experience of the award-winning strategy title XCOM: Enemy Unknown, will be available in North America on November 12, 2013 and internationally on November 15, 2013 for PC, Xbox 360, PS3, and Mac.

XCOM: Enemy Within takes the incredible experience from XCOM: Enemy Unknown and adds an array of new abilities, upgrades, and weapons to combat new enemy threats. The expansion also provides players with all-new maps, tactical and strategic gameplay, and multiplayer content. There is no better way to experience XCOM than with the massive amount of new content added in XCOM: Enemy Within. Fans will experience an additional three to four playthroughs on average before encountering all of the new material included in XCOM: Enemy Within, providing nearly limitless replayability.

“The incredible critical and consumer response to XCOM: Enemy Unknown inspired us to offer new content that would deepen the strong bond that has been created for our XCOM brand,” said Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K. “Firaxis Games is renowned for delivering massive, highly immersive PC expansions in the Civilization series, and XCOM: Enemy Within builds on that lineage and expands the experience for console gamers as well.”

“We promised gamers that we would deliver the same Enemy Unknown experience on both PC and console last fall, and we’re doing it again with Enemy Within,” said Ananda Gupta, lead designer at Firaxis Games. “The Commander Edition of XCOM: Enemy Within expands the already amazing XCOM experience for our console fans who are looking forward to even more of the game they love. It’s also a great point of entry for new fans just joining the XCOM fight.”

XCOM: Enemy Within vastly improves upon the experience of XCOM: Enemy Unknown with an incredible amount of new content. On PC** and Mac**, XCOM: Enemy Within features additional content that can be enjoyed with previously purchased copies of XCOM: Enemy Unknown. XCOM: Enemy Within will also be available on Xbox 360 and PS3™ system as the XCOM: Enemy Within – Commander Edition** - a standalone pack that expands the XCOM: Enemy Unknown experience featuring the new XCOM: Enemy Within content and the add-on content that was previously released for XCOM: Enemy Unknown, including the Elite Soldier Pack and Slingshot Content Pack.

Key features for XCOM: Enemy Within will include:

New Soldier Abilities: Research a new alien technology to advance the capabilities of operatives:
        Gene Mods: Construct the Genetics Lab to physically enhance operatives’ abilities, including augmentations to the chest, brain, eyes, skin and legs.
        MECs: Build the Cybernetics Lab to enable the construction of the new Mechanized Exoskeletal Cybersuit, or MEC. The new MEC Trooper class has specialized abilities and each suit can be upgraded with new weapons including the flamethrower, grenade launcher and more.
    New Weapons and Equipment: Give operatives an extra tactical edge with new projects from the engineering team in the Foundry;
    New Enemy Threats: Adopt new tactics to counter the threats from a host of new enemies, including the Mechtoid;
    New Strategic Resource: A valuable new alien resource, known as Meld, has been discovered. Secure it on the battlefield and use it carefully back at base to unlock new research and upgrades;
    New Tactical Challenges and Maps: Face new tactical challenges, on nearly 50% more maps;
    New Multiplayer Maps, Units and Abilities: Create custom squad from a wider array of options and dominate opponents in intense, one-on-one, turn-based matches.

XCOM: Enemy Within is rated M for Mature by the ESRB and will be available in North America on November 12, 2013 and internationally on November 15, 2013. XCOM: Enemy Within will be available for Windows PC and Mac for $29.99, and will be available for Xbox 360 and PS3™ system for $39.99 as the XCOM: Enemy Within – Commander Edition.
mentions U.S. $29.99 for the expansion on PC and Mac and then $39.99 for the console compilation [Commander Edition] that includes the original game and expansion.

I never finished this either. As much as I like tactical turn-based, I have a long history of getting bogged down the more the base building and the like gets complicated. I haven't played it for any length of time in ages.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 08:15:33 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Appollo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #788 on: August 26, 2013, 11:19:34 PM »

I never got to finish this either, will have to try and get it done
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #789 on: September 01, 2013, 05:37:51 AM »

War machines trailer for the Enemy Within.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #790 on: January 02, 2014, 04:02:22 AM »

I finally picked up the Enemy Within expansion during the holiday sales (they trimmed $9 off I think). I really dig the improvements.

The launch window lets you choose whether to play with the EW stuff in place or the original release. I'm going the MEC route on this pass (even if it makes the game look more like Front Mission than XCOM icon_razz), and they're pretty fun. While they make short work of some early enemies, as they get nastier, even the MEC armor will take a beating. I really dig the new renamable medals with the assignable buff powers. The temporary self-heal one in particular is really nice.

The MEC abilities are interesting. Each seems to get one signature ability sort of fitting the soldier's original class (Heavy, Assault, Sniper etc.) though you're initially limited to a minigun. I think the mechs can use plasma and lasers too. I usually go with the flamethrower as the arm attachment. The melee thing I haven't really gotten the hang of using - at one point I got next to a target and it wouldn't let me attack it.

I'm just sharing this for others who like me ignored it cause they were busy playing other things.  icon_smile

Here's my first batch of MECs:

This was an Assault soldier turned into MEC.

The ability that lets you become a "mobile full cover" for other soldiers sounded promising, but so far hasn't been as useful as I expected it to be. I may not understand how it works; it didn't seem to do any good for a fellow solder to be behind the MEC when it's in cover mode.

This was a Heavy soldier turned into MEC, so his abilities include some "tank" like damage soaking stuff.

This was as a Sniper turned MEC, so he has a passive that's like a sniper would use, though all the MECs initially use the same minigun as their main weapon.

While I don't think the MECs make the game too easy per se, they have for me reduced a lot of frustration. They soak up a lot of damage, though I would suspect in later missions I'll need to improve their tech at some point.

My general color scheme (just kinda helps me see at a glance who's what, and it's fun to customize):
-Heavy (red)
-Sniper (black)
-Assault (blue)
-Support (white)
-New recruit [i.e., no class yet] (green)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 04:05:21 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #791 on: January 02, 2014, 04:37:16 AM »

Great post Blackjack. I haven't gotten the expansion yet, but I guess it's going to be a must get at some point. I love the name "Forklift" on the one guy... sort of does look like a forklift  nod

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #792 on: January 02, 2014, 06:32:33 PM »

Thanks.  icon_smile Yeah, most of the time the auto-chosen nicknames fit the class type (Forklift for a Heavy soldier, Stalker for a Sniper, etc.). That's what those guys were before the switch to MEC. My veteran support guy got nicknamed "Ouija," and I don't know if that fits.  icon_smile

I'm unclear on what the next level technical abilities are for the MECs. Maybe shoulder attachments or something? I could look it up, but it is fun to just stumble into those things in game. I guess I'm further behind on researching alien tech than I should be.

I've also forgotten stuff like satellites taking 20 days (!) to build, which cost me two countries' funding already (Nigeria and Argentinal, who departed while I was waiting on the satellites to finish). I should probably track down a list of build times and print that out.

I mean to ask someone here -- if a soldier gets injured during a battle but is fully healed before the mission ends, is he still considered out of commission and injured?  I should know by now, it's just I'm usually more concerned with clearing the map than figuring out everyone's injury status. Maybe I should be trying harder to get everyone healed up before finishing the map -- it's just sometimes I think an alien is not the last one on a map (so I think I have time to heal guys), and he isn't.

While the MECs are cool, they get injured too and so rarely can I get all three MECs I have so far into the same mission.

That infamous Chrysalid Nest on the Ship one was brutal, in part because my two MECs couldn't dash near as far as the regular soldiers. So getting everyone to the Evac point required  a few savegame reloads to figure out. I eventually had to do a sort of semi-covering evac with the regular soldiers Overwatching a little bit as the MECs lumbered out.

I'm too wimpy and lousy to play Iron Man mode. The one time I did, it seemed like I team wiped everyone repeatedly and pretty much my game was over for all intensive purposes way too soon.  icon_smile

I do feel like my rampant saving/reloading at least sometimes helps me learn what to do in certain situations in the game. However unrealistic it may be.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 06:40:19 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #793 on: January 03, 2014, 04:31:25 AM »

Almost an all-MEC squad, though it seems to make sense to hold back some Meld to upgrade to the 2nd tier, which lets you add either a grenade launcher or an area spray heal device. Until I can afford that, still like to bring my Support guy along (with the 3-heals on a mission ability)

Later upgraded to the max six. As cool as MECs are, still pays to bring 1-2 regular troops along me thinks. If you look at the MEC's HP bars here, you can tell they vary depending on what class the solder was before the cybertech conversion (at least, I think that's why it differs Sniper=17, Heavy=16, Assault=14, Support=13).

Although this hole wasn't from the melee arm attachment gizmo, it is fun to use that to smash a big hole in a wall.

A peek at the first Covert Ops extraction mission:

*For these, you designate one non-MEC soldier (Heavies not allowed either) to go on a Covert Ops mish against these dudes who are trying to ally with the aliens and use their tech. Your designated covert ops agent is limited to using a pistol, so I'm figuring either a Sniper that has the increased pistol damage ability or an assault with Run and Gun ability are good bets. Cool

Eventually you send a squad to extract the agent (whom you do control, so it's not an "escort the AI" type thing). The one I got is a huge map so I'm saving it for another evening.   icon_smile

Playing
PC
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #794 on: January 03, 2014, 06:01:17 AM »

I just picked up Enemy Within because of the sale, but figured I'd wait to get around to playing it, having other things on my plate. However, I fired it up just to take a look at it. That was three hours ago... icon_biggrin. XCOM:EU was pretty awesome, but it's been several months since I've touched it. And so far with XCOM:EW, I'm impressed. The story telling is so good. I hope someone gets clever and adapts the engine for something really out of the XCOM box (turn based Wild West gunfights?).

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #795 on: January 03, 2014, 10:11:57 AM »

I'm honestly rather surprised that there wasn't a resurgence in turn based games, or turn based mechanics, due to the success of XCOM.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #796 on: January 03, 2014, 12:26:29 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 03, 2014, 10:11:57 AM

I'm honestly rather surprised that there wasn't a resurgence in turn based games, or turn based mechanics, due to the success of XCOM.

The game has been out for only a year. Typical games aren't designed, developed and released in that length of time.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #797 on: January 03, 2014, 02:14:19 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on January 03, 2014, 12:26:29 PM

The game has been out for only a year. Typical games aren't designed, developed and released in that length of time.
True, I'm just grateful Firaxis took the time and resources to do this and 2K signed off in it.  icon_smile

The game did well, just not Modern Combat well. No I'm not suggesting Call of Duty: XCOM  icon_smile I'm just not sure what big dev other than Firaxis would be brave enough to do an unabashedly turn based game today. It does seem like many Eastern European devs love the genre, maybe we'll hear about some similar projects from there.

I'd still like to see co-op multiplayer, even just two player. I used to have a ball playing Blue Byte's Incubation in dial up co-op in the late 1990s.

Would still like them to revisit the idea of randomized map design. Solomon seemed to say they tried but weren't pleased with the results. Maybe someone can "crack" that issue.

I do keep an eye out for turn-based squad type stuff on Steam's early access and Project Greenlight. I got Blackguards a while back for that reason - ain't no XCOM, but if it's squad/party turn-based, and at all fun, I'll try to support it  icon_smile And really, belatedly enjoying Shadow Wars on 3DS XL.

I also picked up Silent Storm on GoG (it's on Steam too but felt more confident the tweaked GoG version would run OK).

Playing
PC
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #798 on: January 03, 2014, 03:13:08 PM »

Not sure if this is because of XCom, or for the same reason XCOM was able to come back:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadowrun_Returns

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #799 on: January 03, 2014, 04:27:53 PM »

Quote from: Purge on January 03, 2014, 03:13:08 PM

Not sure if this is because of XCom, or for the same reason XCOM was able to come back:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadowrun_Returns
I belatedly bought that on Steam a while back too. While I like it OK, I'm not a fan of its checkpoint save system, and found it a bit too frustrating. Fans apparently found a way to enable "save anywhere" in player-created content.

Playing
PC
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: