http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 07:49:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360/PC/PS3] XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Enemy Within expansion!  (Read 48223 times)
Zinfan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #600 on: October 16, 2012, 07:36:46 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on October 16, 2012, 06:13:35 PM

This is what happens when I don't follow my own advice to ignore the civilians and go for the aliens on a Terror Mission. One stinking Sectopod and everything goes to hell.

And this is what happens when you don't understand how a new piece of tech works and you think your leading PSY guy is safe.

Next play through I'm going to try and get more squaddies into the mix early, not every one need to be a Col.

ATB I thought I changed the target for the heal using the TAB key (PC obliviously) to select the one I wanted.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #601 on: October 16, 2012, 09:21:29 PM »

Quote from: Zinfan on October 16, 2012, 07:36:46 PM

Next play through I'm going to try and get more squaddies into the mix early, not every one need to be a Col.

I'm in my first play-through and this is what I'm trying to do. I'm making sure to bring 1-2 rookies each mission to try and get a well rounded group of soldiers to pick from, rather than 1 super squad of people. The problem is the rookies keep getting killed.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #602 on: October 17, 2012, 01:21:13 AM »

Thank goodness the "Sheriff" has survived!  icon_biggrin

"The function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable" - John Kenneth Galbraith
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #603 on: October 17, 2012, 01:28:14 AM »

I love the nicknames the game hands out.

Heavy weapons chick from the UK:  Katie "All In!" Holmes
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #604 on: October 17, 2012, 03:52:23 AM »

"Everybody just calm down! There's no reason to panic. Everything's all right. Blackjack's in charge!"
"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAIEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!"

He's the headshottiest, snap shottiest, gunslinger on Earth. Which doesn't make sense for a sniper, but has proven surprisingly effective...

"So THAT'S why I don't want to sell off all my corpses..."

This looks SO bad, but turned out SO well.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #605 on: October 17, 2012, 01:11:00 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 17, 2012, 03:52:23 AM

"Everybody just calm down! There's no reason to panic. Everything's all right. Blackjack's in charge!"

More satellites STAT!
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #606 on: October 17, 2012, 01:35:30 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 17, 2012, 01:11:00 PM

<image>

More satellites STAT!

He doesn't need satellites. He needs a miracle. Better start polishing those diplomatic skills, Blackjack, because a deal with the aliens is about the best you can hope for now. slywink
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #607 on: October 17, 2012, 02:10:29 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 17, 2012, 01:35:30 PM

Quote from: ATB on October 17, 2012, 01:11:00 PM

<image>

More satellites STAT!

He doesn't need satellites. He needs a miracle. Better start polishing those diplomatic skills, Blackjack, because a deal with the aliens is about the best you can hope for now. slywink
If he hasn't done the base mission yet, he can do that and recover pretty well.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #608 on: October 17, 2012, 02:44:55 PM »

Nothing like your friends doubting you in public. This must be what being on Twitter is like.  icon_smile

My first screenshot works better if you visualize the late Leslie Nielsen delivering the dialogue.  smirk

No, haven't done that big thing just yet (am on the cusp). I figured I'd wait til I got laser sniper rifles/heavy weapons (although I only have one heavy at this point, so maybe it's moot) before tackling that. And did begin Foundry research on the vehicular thingies that eventually become SHIVs.

I do have another satellite on the way, and got those satellites into Germany and Argentina after they had been red-bar panicked for quite some time. So at least on Normal mode, I've learned not to panic myself so much -- the game seems pretty forgiving in Normal about how long a country's in red-bar panic before resigning.

I certainly don't pretend to be adept at the base-oriented stuff, or even properly upgrading my interceptors. I know I was awful at it in the 1994 game.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #609 on: October 17, 2012, 03:01:54 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 17, 2012, 02:44:55 PM

No, haven't done that big thing just yet (am on the cusp).

Wait? You're in near world-wide panic and haven't done the first base assault yet?!  That's like 2 or 3 months in.

Earth is doomed!!!!!!!!!!!!

icon_lol
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #610 on: October 18, 2012, 03:29:56 PM »

I'm just piling on to the earlier recommendations that fully ranked up snipers with Double Tap and Team Sight are killing machines.  After unlocking Double Tap, my sniper handles well over 50% of the aliens in every encounter.  His kill tally is off the charts compared to the rest of the team.  I've started training up another sniper, and have done a few missions using 2, which works better than having 2 heavies or 2 assaults.

I still use 2 support (1 medic and 1 combat support), 1 suppression heavy, and 1 assault.  Next to my sniper, my assault has the most kills, but the gap between the 2 is huge.   
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #611 on: October 18, 2012, 04:44:57 PM »

I started the alien base mission last night, but decided I was too pooped so perhaps tonight.

To some extent, any screenshot of the "panic situation" is inaccurate, because one successful mission will calm some areas, while others freak out. And getting one more satellite up since then also changed things. Going into the alien base mish, it's totally different than the screenshot I shared.

My base team will probably be one alloy SHIV w/ laser, a sniper, a heavy, an assault (usually I use two) and two supports. I probably haven't leveled up enough rookies but after most of the last half dozen turned into snipers, I got rather tired of waiting for something to become something else. So far I've only developed 1 heavy and 2 supports total. Everything else turns into sniper or assault. I don't have much flexibility when units get wounded, though usually they aren't out more than a few days now.

I understand aim% being random and all but when you're maybe two squares from an out-of-cover ailen, 97% or something aim, and you still miss, it just seems silly. Now if they use this game design to do a game based on Fallen Skies (how about that for an expansion? icon_cool), with local yokels w/ little experience firing inaccurate weapons, it would make more sense to me.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 04:48:27 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #612 on: October 18, 2012, 04:46:48 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 18, 2012, 04:44:57 PM

I started the alien base mission last night, but decided I was too pooped so perhaps tonight.

To some extent, any screenshot of the "panic situation" is inaccurate, because one successful mission will calm some areas, while others freak out. And getting one more satellite up since then also changed things. Going into the alien base mish, it's totally different than the screenshot I shared.

My base team will probably be one alloy SHIV w/ laser, a sniper, a heavy, an assault (usually I use two) and two supports. I probably haven't leveled up enough rookies but after most of the last half dozen turned into snipers, I got rather tired of waiting for something to become something else. So far I've only developed 1 heavy and 2 supports total. Everything else turns into sniper or assault. I don't have much flexibility when units get wounded, though usually they aren't out more than a few days now.

I understand aim% being random and all but when you're maybe two squares from an out-of-cover ailen, 97% or something aim, and you still miss, it just seems silly.

It's crazy how different our playthroughs are. I just unlocked SHIVs yesterday and you have them for the first base assault.

What a game!
Dunamis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #613 on: October 18, 2012, 04:53:07 PM »

Really enjoying this game!  It really captures the feel of the original and the tactical combat is fun.

Played about 4 hours last night and was finally able to outfit everyone with new armor and laser weapons.

Good stuff!  Can't wait to finish it and up the difficulty and play it again.

I only do two things; kick ass and chew bubblegum.  Right now, I'm all out of bubblegum...
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #614 on: October 18, 2012, 04:53:36 PM »

I've never used the SHIV.  Are there other uses than just filling in for a wounded vet?  Why would you use one over a human squad member?  
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #615 on: October 18, 2012, 05:39:54 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on October 18, 2012, 04:53:36 PM

I've never used the SHIV.  Are there other uses than just filling in for a wounded vet?  Why would you use one over a human squad member?  

They are immune to mind control.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #616 on: October 18, 2012, 06:26:12 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on October 18, 2012, 05:39:54 PM

One thing mentioned in the SHIV description is that it (I assume you'd more likely use the upgraded alloy type this way) can serve as mobile cover in the field for your troops. Might be in handy for an open map, though I guess you really don't know until you're already on the map. Also, the Foundry lets you research a Suppressing Fire ability for the SHIV.

As I understand, the drawbacks are that a SHIV doesn't level up, and if damaged, is expensive to repair. If you're like me though, and not enough troops are evolving into something other than snipers, having maybe one SHIV in a squad seems to make sense.

That's the beauty of XCOM really. If you want six upgraded SHIVs, I guess you can do that. If you don't want to mess with them at all, and spend your resources on other Foundry creations/upgrades, you can do that and I might go that route next time around.

Although I was sort of joking about Fallen Skies, now that I think about it, that could be a great idea for a follow up game. I mean, why just do more of the same (in terms of a standalone followup game; I could understand an expansion just having more maps/weapons etc.)? Or, if some publisher gets envious of XCOM's (so far) sales success and OKs a "similar but different project."

You could have a "post XCOM" game where XCOM failed, all the countries panicked, and all you have is a tattered bunch of "earthling insurgents" with basic weaponry trying desperately to fight back and retake the planet. You might still have a crude base and do research on a more basic level to improve conventional weapons.

I guess that might sound more like Fallout than XCOM. But as somebody who couldn't enjoy the most recent FPS Fallout games (due to motion sickness issues), some "reimagining" of the 1997 Fallout similar to Firaxis' XCOM game (retaining that wonderful turn-based combat but modernizing it) would make me happy too.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 06:30:26 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #617 on: October 18, 2012, 07:02:44 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on October 18, 2012, 05:39:54 PM

I hadn't even thought of that.  That's good to know.  I've been lucky so far being able to rush in quickly and kill the sectoid commander breaking the mind control before any damage is done.  I've been focused on developing other tech and resources, and haven't touched the SHIV tech yet. I love that the game lays out so many options for base and tech development, without having the means or time to unlock everything that looks good.  I've had to make some tough choices.  In hindsight, there are some I'd like a do-over on.  I'm sticking with my decisions though.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #618 on: October 18, 2012, 07:16:33 PM »

I bring at least 1 SHIV along for terror missions. Great for scouting and providing a distraction when trying to rescue civilians.  If the SHIV goes down, it's just money....unlike when I lose a veteran.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #619 on: October 18, 2012, 07:52:41 PM »

I've had to take a break from XCOM for the last couple of days because I realized it makes me angry instead of relaxing me.  I'll give it a week off and come back all refreshed!

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #620 on: October 18, 2012, 08:41:27 PM »

There has been a stream of new mods posted over at XCOM Nexus, but this one caught my eye. It might be good for those folks who want to get a taste of the end game without getting their brains beaten out over and over again (IE me Roll Eyes)

Excalibur's Easier Easy Mod v1.0

This is a simple mod to make easy mode, that much easier. It's something of a cheat I guess you could say, but it's not overly dramatic changes. Your welcome to send me an email with suggestions or ideas for the next version, you can reach me at [email protected].

[email protected]---------------------------------------------------------

This mod makes the following changes:
- Titan Armor provides 5 additional HP to make it a bit more durable for the later stages of the game.
- All classes have recieved one additional HP per rank and a small increase to the aim they game.
- All countries have had their funding doubled.
- The max range penalty for short range weapons has been decreased slightly.
- The grappling ability on the Skeleton Armor has had it's range increased to 20
- Alien abduction mission rewards have been doubled.
- Terror and Abudction UFOs will now show up, so you can intercept them if you so choose.
- The maximum number of UFOs has been increased from 2 to 3. This will help to allievate any shortages of alien materials for research and manufacturing.
- Salvaged UFO power sources will now give 40 Elerium as opposed to 30 for the same reason as above.
- All captured UFOs will yield twice as much alien alloys.
- All new rookies will start with higher stats.
- The chance of finding PSI talented soldiers has been increased dramatically.
- Panic levels in general have been reduced, so it should be much easier to keep the world calm smile
- Improvements in the Officer Training have been reduced in cost.

"The function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable" - John Kenneth Galbraith
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #621 on: October 18, 2012, 10:24:49 PM »

I'm just piling on to the earlier recommendations that fully ranked up snipers with Double Tap and Team Sight are killing machines.  After unlocking Double Tap, my sniper handles well over 50% of the aliens in every encounter.  His kill tally is off the charts compared to the rest of the team.  I've started training up another sniper, and have done a few missions using 2, which works better than having 2 heavies or 2 assaults.

i basically did this by accident last night - i was training up a few rooks (well squaddie / sgts), including a new(ish) sniper on a mission that i thought would be a biiiiiiit too difficult so i figured "better toss in my col sniper as insurance"

they cleaned so much house as a pair its going to be hard justifying going with only 1 sniper from now on.  i had been running 2 assault often, as the run n gun plus double pump shotgun blast was too much fun.

by the way, i absolutely LOVE this game - it might just be near perfect in every way.  it IS Xcom, not a dumbed down xcom, not a "reimagining" not a "modern retake" - i feel like im back in the glory days - seriously kudos firaxis, you did right by us which seems to fall by the wayside too often in a day and age of bottom lines, shareholders and "business side" meddling!  i hope it pays off!
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #622 on: October 19, 2012, 12:49:02 PM »

My recommendation for anyone getting exasperated is play it on Normal and avoid Iron Man mode. Save as often as you want. I save like crazy, but try hard not to give in to "reload every time I screw up." But if you're having a hard time, then reload as often as you like. Learn from mistakes.  icon_smile

To me it can be fun to try one strategy, realize its *ucked, reload and try a different one. I did that with FPS shooters for a decade or more before everyone decided checkpoint saves were the way to go.

My initial Iron Man game was fine up until the first full-squad wipe out. Followed by the "all rookie" wipe out. etc. etc. Like Diablo 2/3's hardcore mode, I'm not really sure it's the mode for me. If that makes me a wuss, so be it. I think in the end, do whatever makes the game more fun for you, including the "Easy Easy mod," if necessary.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #623 on: October 19, 2012, 12:57:44 PM »

I'm having pretty good luck with just one sniper, 2 assaults and 2 support and then whatever for the last slot.

It sounds like two snipers might be OP and unbalance?
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #624 on: October 19, 2012, 03:48:35 PM »

It sounds like two snipers might be OP and unbalance?

lol nope on classic the aliens have no problem wiping me out when im not careful...

and only slightly MORE of a problem wiping me when i am careful.  in the future i may stick with 2 assaults on intact ufo missions... i still have a love / hate relationship with my heavy, especially as the rockets become less effective
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #625 on: October 19, 2012, 04:23:34 PM »

My typical mission is 1 Support, 1 Heavy, 1 Sniper, 3 Assault.  I am impatient.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #626 on: October 19, 2012, 05:06:47 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on October 19, 2012, 03:48:35 PM

i still have a love / hate relationship with my heavy, especially as the rockets become less effective

Don't tell me this. If rockets become less effective, then they are basically going to become useless...
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: October 19, 2012, 05:16:39 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 19, 2012, 05:06:47 PM

i still have a love / hate relationship with my heavy, especially as the rockets become less effective

Don't tell me this. If rockets become less effective, then they are basically going to become useless...

Situationally they are effective.  Shooting a rocket directly at an enemy is never going to be an awesome.  Shooting a rocket at a car that the enemies are all near... that works out pretty well.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #628 on: October 19, 2012, 05:48:49 PM »

ya and supressing fire is pretty nice too (even if it does eat ammo like mad).  i think part of my problem is also that
Spoiler for Hiden:
i havent invested in upgraded weaponry - mine are still sporting their original LMGs
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #629 on: October 19, 2012, 06:36:11 PM »

Have you guys upgraded everyone to those Skeleton suits (which give increased movement tiles [I think?] and the grappling hook, but 1 less HP than Carapace armor)?

I only had the resources to make 3, so I gave one to my most experienced sniper, one to my lone heavy (to give him a bit more freedom of movement) and one to my medic-focused support guy. I don't know if any of that reasoning makes sense, I can always change my mind.  icon_smile I know about the, is it Chitin? I just don't seem to have the one magic ingredient to concoct that yet.

I think I'll have to dole out some more Scopes, as too many of my guys are inaccurate in Overwatch, regardless of weapon. Sometimes its like they're all equipped with the blunderbuss in the movie Looper.  icon_razz
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 06:41:14 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #630 on: October 19, 2012, 07:38:37 PM »

Quote from: gellar on October 19, 2012, 05:16:39 PM

Situationally they are effective.  Shooting a rocket directly at an enemy is never going to be an awesome.  Shooting a rocket at a car that the enemies are all near... that works out pretty well.

My last terror mission ended with three of the always flying mutant things right next to a car...which was on fire. Car exploded, all three of them went flying into the air, and the match was won. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #631 on: October 19, 2012, 11:24:34 PM »

August 2015. Things are still going really well

After this status update, I got a ufo raid and had the kitchen sink thrown at me.  It was looking BAD. 

Spoiler for Hiden:
But i was able to keep the Sectoid mech or whatever it's called suppressed and my sniper was able to wear it down through a hole in the wall.  Luckily it only hit one time with that mega beam weapon it has.

Also had 3 heavy mutoids, 2 spinny disks, 2 commanders I was able to capture, 4 probe things, 7 mutoids.

Only casualty was a critical injury on my best assault trooper. She's gonna make it!  icon_mrgreen
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #632 on: October 19, 2012, 11:29:08 PM »

Trust me. Heavies will be awesome once certain research items have been unlocked  ninja

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #633 on: October 19, 2012, 11:29:55 PM »

Excellent article: Why Damned XCOM is Abolished From Nigeria

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #634 on: October 19, 2012, 11:55:31 PM »

got a new Sergeant from a mission tonight:  M "Mama Bear' Moriarty.  Had a couple of scares during that mission though when Lt. Boonswoggle almost got taken down by a series of lucky shots, and that was after a bad grenade through by Al almost took out Cpl. Kato...  Props go to Corporal Childe for taking down a Thin Man by making a 22% shot.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #635 on: October 20, 2012, 12:15:06 AM »

I WINZ.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #636 on: October 20, 2012, 02:14:35 AM »

I'm playing on Normal Iron Man, and I just don't have many assault guys. The rookies seemed to only want to become snipers or support units. That forced me into the habit of bringing a heavy with me on almost every mission, and now I think I'm starting to see how they could be really effective. I don't use the rocket launcher much, but suppressing fire is nice for pinning a target down while I move my other units around to try and flank it.

My normal squad usually consists of 1-2 snipers, 1-2 support units, 1 heavy, 1-2 assault units if any are available. It seems to be going well. The biggest screw up I had lately was putting a heavy a little too far out in front. I got impatient and opened a door instead of ending the turn when I had both of my moves left. Inside the room were three sectiod commanders. They took control of my heavy, who triggered overwatch on both my sniper and assault guy. Both shots hit. Now I have one less heavy.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #637 on: October 20, 2012, 02:40:33 AM »

I'm a big fan of the heavy suppression
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #638 on: October 20, 2012, 03:35:58 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on October 20, 2012, 02:40:33 AM

I'm a big fan of the heavy suppression

Is there a difference between it and the support suppression?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #639 on: October 20, 2012, 05:12:42 AM »

I'm having the damnedest time capturing an alien-  my guys are so good they tend not to wound.  Boonswoggle is now a captain, so I have all 6 slots open, and he's still leading the kill board with Lt. Hark 'Wrong Way' Onis in second place.  I put Rookie Harp Au on suicide capture duty, his nick may be 'Teflon' if he gets that far.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: