http://gamingtrend.com
October 30, 2014, 02:00:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360/PC/PS3] XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Enemy Within expansion!  (Read 46392 times)
Zinfan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: October 12, 2012, 09:09:09 PM »

Rookie Harkonis gets his first taste of a real shooting war

He missed!  icon_lol

Hark's miserable shooting aside the mission went well.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: October 12, 2012, 09:17:15 PM »

I love Lockdown's fabulous armor!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: October 12, 2012, 09:56:24 PM »

Don't mess with a large black man in purple combat armor my friend.  We are very, very dangerous.  Just ask Ray Lewis.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 10:51:15 PM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: October 12, 2012, 10:43:58 PM »

Time to take a break for R&R, last mission was a bust.  Had a UFO landing and was trying to stun the crystal whatever it is, moved Blackjack into flanking position but he panicked when the alien fired on him, returned fire and killed it!  Damn it men why can't you shoot like that in overwatch!  Sad news as Cpl Soulchilde was killed by a long range plasma bolt after retreating to cover in an attempt to avoid just that shot.  To compound the tragedy Kato panicked and rushed out of cover and was killed on the first mission! 

Mission summary;
Capture alien being- Fail
Rank up rookies- Fail
Save Soulchilde since he had the movement bonus- Fail

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: October 12, 2012, 10:50:13 PM »

I hate missions like that.  You simply can't seem to catch a break.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: October 12, 2012, 11:11:15 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 12, 2012, 08:11:51 PM

haven't had much time to play, but so far Sgt Al Tiberius Boonswoggle (aka Cole Train) is leading the kill board with 11 kills

Hellz yus!
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: October 12, 2012, 11:15:27 PM »

Last night i triggered run and gun and got my assault trooper into close quarters. 94% probability of a hit.

<MISS>

I literally exclaimed 'WHAT!?' fearing the inevitable dead body I was about to scoop up off the ground.

Alien turn comes up.

<MISS>

HAHAAHAHAHA.

I blew it's brains out on the next turn.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: October 13, 2012, 01:00:43 AM »

I think I'm retiring from Iron Man. On the first "big ass alien ship" mission, lost my most experienced sniper on the first turn. Then did totally fine until the last group of Chrysalids you have to take out who basically just sit in an empty room and wait for you to stumble on em, and I just don't have the weaponry or armor to take them on/out fast enough, esp. in close ship interior quarters. Then the dead troops started zombifying, and my namesake got disemboweled. Lost the entire 5-man squad. Sigh. And that's on NORMAL...

You probably don't want to be this close but these turkeys leaped up in front of my guys.

Just when I thought I might escape with a soldier or two, two dead squaddies zombified and poor old Blackjack Geo was screwed.  We put the fun in funeral

I think I'll just start over, hopefully with some lessons learned the hard way.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 01:09:56 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: October 13, 2012, 02:03:56 AM »

It seems I'm having more difficulty on Ironman vs Normal as well.  I just managed to finish a very hard terror mission but it was nip and tuck all the way.  Trying to get my arc thrower guy in range is nerve wracking and so far I've only managed to get a sectoid and a thin man, floaters have been hard to pin down and I end up killing them to prevent squad losses.  Here is the current roster, nicknames are game generated and not changed by me.  The French sniper was a mission reward but all GT'ers have to start as rookies so she wasn't renamed.

North America is going down the sink and I lost a interceptor trying to knock down a medium UFO, I may lose the entire area unless I get some missions in the area.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: October 13, 2012, 02:21:58 AM »

Can we please keep this obviously talented and eager corporal alive for more than a couple of missions?  icon_neutral

And definitely keep him away from burning cars. Seriously, even if it's just smoking a bit. Pleaseicon_eek

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: October 13, 2012, 02:29:35 AM »

You're doing fine, zinfan.  My panic board looks like one big giant red stop light.

LD

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: October 13, 2012, 02:39:05 AM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on October 13, 2012, 02:21:58 AM

Can we please keep this obviously talented and eager corporal alive for more than a couple of missions?  icon_neutral

And definitely keep him away from burning cars. Seriously, even if it's just smoking a bit. Pleaseicon_eek

Well we have a bit of a issue in Mexico.

This mission is rated very hard but I can't let it go since I may lose Mexico and maybe the USA as well.  Hey at least you have a laser rifle, I could only afford 3 and no laser sniper rifle for the Captain.  Are there many burning cars in Mexico?  I'll let you know when I get done.  Commander Zinfan out!
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: October 13, 2012, 03:19:07 AM »

Damn. Lost my first soldier on an abduction mission to South Africa.  Forgot bad guys can shoot through walls.  Rest in peace Support Class Cpl Otis "P.I.M.P." Velvet.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: October 13, 2012, 03:21:59 AM »

This may not end well, Bullwinkle has the Arc Thrower fail on a 80% stun chance

JZ in action, hanging out on the corner

It's a clean kill!

Nice area to hang out in, lets get that thin man on the roof too!

Sadly we have to report the loss of Lt KnightShade Dragon who fell to a thin man while attempting to dispense a mocha for himself.  RIP Dragon!

Mission ends when the last X-Ray breaks cover trying to get to CeeKay but Lockdown had been hanging back in overwatch for just this occasion.  Hit!

JZ gets a nickname to go with the promotion.

Not too bad mission wise, I figured I was in a world of hurt when the stun missed the Muton.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: October 13, 2012, 03:34:53 AM »

I look surprisingly good in pink Fabulous

I like the nickname "Sheriff"... except Eric Clapton comes to mind, not good icon_frown

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: October 13, 2012, 04:15:06 AM »

Intact UFO on the ground!  Head out men!

While trying to get Bullwinkle in position to finally stun a floater, he and CeeKay got in a fix when a trio of extra floaters appeared from the UFO. Time for a rocket.

It's a triple play!

Finally a stunned floater.

ForgeForsaken gets into the action (no money for more lasers  mad )  misses while JZ hopes to avoid friendly fire

Lockdown again comes to the rescue with a overwatch shot to put an end to the Muton that was trying to flank JZ.

And I also stunned the Outsider finally so all went pretty well with only Forge getting nicked up a bit.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: October 13, 2012, 04:53:59 AM »

What does the running man icon above the rank mean?
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: October 13, 2012, 05:26:44 AM »

Quote from: ATB on October 13, 2012, 04:53:59 AM

That cancels any shots/abilities you are planning and takes you back to the movement phase.  In this case if I didn't want Bullwinkle to stun then I'd hit that icon and he would be able to move away.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: October 13, 2012, 06:26:14 AM »

Quote from: Zinfan on October 13, 2012, 05:26:44 AM

That cancels any shots/abilities you are planning and takes you back to the movement phase.  In this case if I didn't want Bullwinkle to stun then I'd hit that icon and he would be able to move away.

All I got from that was something about a stunning Bullwinkle followed by "I'd hit that."

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: October 13, 2012, 06:39:21 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 13, 2012, 06:26:14 AM

Quote from: Zinfan on October 13, 2012, 05:26:44 AM

That cancels any shots/abilities you are planning and takes you back to the movement phase.  In this case if I didn't want Bullwinkle to stun then I'd hit that icon and he would be able to move away.

All I got from that was something about a stunning Bullwinkle followed by "I'd hit that."

Bold talk from the man toting the Arc Thrower around.  You did get the only Carapace armor I could afford as a nod towards survival.  Forge has the Arc Thrower as well but didn't get close this time to put it into action so maybe you can rest on a mission or two once he gets a rank or two.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #500 on: October 13, 2012, 09:32:45 AM »

Quote from: Zinfan on October 13, 2012, 02:03:56 AM

I wish my report screens looked this good. I've constantly got countries in the red, and maybe only one at panic level 1. Five countries have left XCOM.

Even worse, I might still win.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: October 13, 2012, 11:41:58 AM »

I've had two monthly reports and both have been As.

Does soldier deaths impact your score?  I've only lost two soldiers thus far.  One rook and Cpl P.I.M.P.

I love that this game takes so much planning.

I needed another satellite. Doh! Need the uplink.  Doh! Need to excavate.  Doh! it takes like 20 days to make a satellite!
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: October 13, 2012, 11:47:22 AM »

Sigh...

*These are buds' nicknames from a smaller forum, including one (Xavitor) from Australia I used to play co-op games of Incubation with via dial-up. He passed away from cancer in 2007, and I can't help wishing he was still here to play this. He'd love it.  icon_smile

It seems like maybe sometime in May 2015 is when difficulty really ramps up, and with me only having one carapace armor and no advanced weaponry (beam), I was just screwed in every way. The next abduction mish turned into another slaughter (swarming with floaters and those beasty, charging things). I went from "A" council reports to "C" reports and losing two entire squads literally overnight. I just started a new Normal game, with some better ideas for research.

So what IS the strategy if 3 chrysalids drop smack into the middle of your team inside a ship anyway? I guess run away in separate directions and set everybody on Overwatch? There wasn't room to use a rocket launcher safely. Maybe I should've just scouted with one guy and then kind of used him as bait to lure him back to the rest of the squad.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 11:50:28 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #503 on: October 13, 2012, 11:56:01 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 13, 2012, 11:47:22 AM

*These are buds' nicknames from a smaller forum, including one (Xavitor) from Australia I used to play co-op games of Incubation with via dial-up. He passed away from cancer in 2007, and I can't help wishing he was still here to play this. He'd love it.  icon_smile

My brother in law and best friend invited me round his house a very long time ago and he had a new PC (486) and was playing X-Com on it, I had to go straight out and buy a pc (my first one) for it as well. Anyways he died of Cancer in 2007 as well, he was in his 30's. I Said to my wife last night I was thinking of him as I was playing and I just know he would have loved it.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: October 13, 2012, 12:52:36 PM »

Quote from: Reemul on October 13, 2012, 11:56:01 AM

Quote from: Blackjack on October 13, 2012, 11:47:22 AM

My brother in law and best friend invited me round his house a very long time ago and he had a new PC (486) and was playing X-Com on it, I had to go straight out and buy a pc (my first one) for it as well. Anyways he died of Cancer in 2007 as well, he was in his 30's. I Said to my wife last night I was thinking of him as I was playing and I just know he would have loved it.
That's cool you have that X-COM memory of him.  icon_smile

Meanwhile, I team wiped again on a "moderate" mission. I dunno. Maybe I'm not smart enough for this game. Every time I think I'm doing the combat smarter, I get nut-punched.  Head meets wall I might have to play on Easy mode for my ego's sake.  icon_razz

The sectoid firing range is sooooooooooo long that I'll think there's no way my sniper can get nailed and then BOOM. And the game warns you about rocket shots being blocked but it doesn't give you an indicator what exactly is blocking it. It's frustrating if you're standing next to something your guy isn't smart enough not to fire his rocket right into it.  *Fist Shaking*

As far as my current game goes, it's like that time in elementary school the bully in my P.E. class blindside-blocked me during a kickoff in flag football. I was rolling on the ground, unable to breathe for a couple seconds, thinking "WTF happened???" Yeah, that's XCOM to me right now.  retard The problem with NOT playing Iron Man is the game doesn't remind me to save progress and you just kind of lose track. I end up not really having a recent gamesave to reload when there's a disaster.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 12:56:08 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: October 13, 2012, 01:55:03 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 13, 2012, 12:52:36 PM

Meanwhile, I team wiped again on a "moderate" mission. I dunno. Maybe I'm not smart enough for this game. Every time I think I'm doing the combat smarter, I get nut-punched.  Head meets wall I might have to play on Easy mode for my ego's sake.  icon_razz

I find missions can turn tides very easily.  The mid game enemies are kicking my ass too.  My current tactic is to move up very slowly and try to only uncover one group of aliens at a time.  I move up a little bit and put everyone on overwatch.  Be OK to fallback if any of your guys are out there by themselves or injured. 

Something I found out last night.  When you first uncover a group of aliens.  There's a "reaction" shot where they go into cover.  If any of your guys are on overwatch and in range, they'll fire at the aliens before they go into cover.  Don't know if that's a bug or not.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: October 13, 2012, 02:03:46 PM »

I now have a gripe:

I employed sound tactics, had my sniper covering my rear left flank and bam... floaters spawned right behind her. She got a shot off but only did 3 damage and was vaporized as her squad attempted some long range engagements to no avail.  The assault on the alien base quickly went down hill and my whole A squad got wiped out.

Seems like a cheap AI tactic to me.

I'm going to start over, now that I understand the mechanics and not to buy large quantities of things...I've had money problems since the beginning.

Edit: Not mad, just seemed...unfair.  But I guess aliens don't play that way. slywink
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 02:18:45 PM by ATB » Logged
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #507 on: October 13, 2012, 02:18:17 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 13, 2012, 02:03:46 PM

floaters spawned right behind her

No they didn't. They had spawned elsewhere, but floaters have a special ability that lets them use their entire action to instantly move elsewhere on the map. If you're not prepared for this tactic, you're going to suffer for it.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: October 13, 2012, 02:19:09 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 13, 2012, 02:18:17 PM

Quote from: ATB on October 13, 2012, 02:03:46 PM

floaters spawned right behind her

No they didn't. They had spawned elsewhere, but floaters have a special ability that lets them use their entire action to instantly move elsewhere on the map. If you're not prepared for this tactic, you're going to suffer for it.

How did you come by that knowledge? Did i miss that in the autopsy report? Or do you learn that later on? Or...?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 02:20:54 PM by ATB » Logged
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: October 13, 2012, 02:43:59 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 13, 2012, 02:19:09 PM

How did you come by that knowledge? Did i miss that in the autopsy report? Or do you learn that later on? Or...?

You can see them using it after you've discovered them on the map.  I really hate the "flying" enemies
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: October 13, 2012, 04:29:55 PM »

I've been playing on Easy since I am determined to at least once finished a campaign of XCOM nod

I had a good mission last night that lasted almost two hours. I sent a team of five plus one Goliath to check out an unknown UFO. I set up my five humans as a firing line and sent my Goliath as a scout. It would move forward one action then go inter Overwatch. It was a large ship and it took a while to find some aliens, but each time my Goliath would lure them out into the killing zone. Even a Berserker was no match. Fun! icon_biggrin

Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: October 13, 2012, 04:46:33 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 13, 2012, 09:32:45 AM

Quote from: Zinfan on October 13, 2012, 02:03:56 AM

I wish my report screens looked this good. I've constantly got countries in the red, and maybe only one at panic level 1. Five countries have left XCOM.

Even worse, I might still win.

Well here is the report one month later

Egypt and Brazil went from two bars of concern to out of the project and Nigeria and South Africa are solidly in the red.  Some success in North America due to the way the terror missions fell out and a satellite in Canada.  I think this game is heading south due to not researching the items needed to find the enemy base, my normal non-ironman game is going so much better and that may be why.  Below is the situation in my normal game (July 2015) and I destroyed the base on Cuba that seemed to reduce panic across the globe and really make North and South America happy.

sigh I guess I'll have to try and do the base soon, but in the Ironman game I've focused on armor and weapons to help the GT'ers survive but now the gloves are off so standby for some disturbing reports once I find that base!
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: October 13, 2012, 04:57:51 PM »

Just finished up a base assault.  28 enemies killed and a solid victory.  Now the bad news:

I lost my Kato and my AA on that mission.  And both were eventually killed a second time by my Zinfan (if you know what I mean).

After reading other posts of how bad these base missions can go, I decided to take it unbelievably slow.  Overwatch saved my butt countless times.  And I still am not convinced having just a sniper and 5 assaults isn't the way to go.  They are so, so, so good. Of course, I don't have 5 assaults, so I couldn't try it if I wanted to.

LD

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: October 13, 2012, 04:59:31 PM »

Interesting mod posted over on Steam:

Anti cheating mod and real ufos released!

Hi there,

i love playing on ironman + classic but i realy hated the cheating AI. It gets +criticalchance and +aim% on classic. This means the aliens are able to do crazy shots....like one hitting your soldier from across the map, while your soldier is in full cover. It would be ok if that happens from time to time, but that is not the case.

With my mod, i removed the +criticalchance and +aim% from all aliens on classic difficult. You now get the full alien AI, without any cheating. I changed NO other values.

The game is still alot harder than normal difficult because the AI is fully active and the alien groups are way bigger.

You are also now able to intercept ufos that prepare for abduction and terror missions. Its pretty funny, cos the feature was completely in there, it was just disabled.

What does it do?

Before a terror or abduction mission happens, a ufo is spawned. The ufo now needs to fly to its destination...if you have satelite coverage, you can intercept it. If you shot it down, the mission wont happen after all.

On abduction missions, there are 3 ufos because of the 3 abduction sites which you usualy select after the abduction mission takes place. If you shot all 3 ufos down (very very hard to do), there will be NO abduction mission at all. If you shot down 2 of the 3 ufos, you still get the abduction mission but with only one of the 3 locations to select. This means that even shooting 1-2 ufos of the 3 down, will lower the panic spread by alot.

Its pretty realistic and i just love it.

You think that would be to easy?

Well, the terror / abduction ufos are usualy pretty well armed and believe me, you now need to spend alot more on interceptors + air weapons. Finaly a reason to put some money into interceptor stuff.

Haven't tried it myself, but it sounds interesting.

USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: October 13, 2012, 05:19:13 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on October 13, 2012, 04:57:51 PM

Just finished up a base assault.  28 enemies killed and a solid victory.  Now the bad news:

I lost my Kato and my AA on that mission.  And both were eventually killed a second time by my Zinfan (if you know what I mean).

After reading other posts of how bad these base missions can go, I decided to take it unbelievably slow.  Overwatch saved my butt countless times.  And I still am not convinced having just a sniper and 5 assaults isn't the way to go.  They are so, so, so good. Of course, I don't have 5 assaults, so I couldn't try it if I wanted to.

Kato! nooooooooooo! We put the fun in funeral

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: October 13, 2012, 05:21:35 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on October 13, 2012, 04:59:31 PM

Interesting mod posted over on Steam:

Anti cheating mod and real ufos released!

Hi there,

i love playing on ironman + classic but i realy hated the cheating AI. It gets +criticalchance and +aim% on classic. This means the aliens are able to do crazy shots....like one hitting your soldier from across the map, while your soldier is in full cover. It would be ok if that happens from time to time, but that is not the case.

With my mod, i removed the +criticalchance and +aim% from all aliens on classic difficult. You now get the full alien AI, without any cheating. I changed NO other values.

The game is still alot harder than normal difficult because the AI is fully active and the alien groups are way bigger.

You are also now able to intercept ufos that prepare for abduction and terror missions. Its pretty funny, cos the feature was completely in there, it was just disabled.

What does it do?

Before a terror or abduction mission happens, a ufo is spawned. The ufo now needs to fly to its destination...if you have satelite coverage, you can intercept it. If you shot it down, the mission wont happen after all.

On abduction missions, there are 3 ufos because of the 3 abduction sites which you usualy select after the abduction mission takes place. If you shot all 3 ufos down (very very hard to do), there will be NO abduction mission at all. If you shot down 2 of the 3 ufos, you still get the abduction mission but with only one of the 3 locations to select. This means that even shooting 1-2 ufos of the 3 down, will lower the panic spread by alot.

Its pretty realistic and i just love it.

You think that would be to easy?

Well, the terror / abduction ufos are usualy pretty well armed and believe me, you now need to spend alot more on interceptors + air weapons. Finaly a reason to put some money into interceptor stuff.

Haven't tried it myself, but it sounds interesting.

This mod sounds great. Installing.......

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #516 on: October 13, 2012, 05:25:55 PM »

Got some time with this today after a small break from Dishonored.  Restarted on normal without the tutorial.  Did pretty well on my first few missions while taking only WIAs.  Sadly, my first loss was a rook who was doing very well.  Had two kills and a promotion when he got caught in a crossfire with his flank exposed.  Hurt and then killed in the same round.  

Got my sniper up to use squad sight; looking forward to seeing how well that will do.  I was keeping him advancing with the group, so hopefully I won't regret it over snap shot.  

Now, ontoa terror mission with my higher ranking soldiers

forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: October 13, 2012, 05:44:44 PM »

Quote from: Caine on October 13, 2012, 05:25:55 PM

Got some time with this today after a small break from Dishonored.  Restarted on normal without the tutorial.  Did pretty well on my first few missions while taking only WIAs.  Sadly, my first loss was a rook who was doing very well.  Had two kills and a promotion when he got caught in a crossfire with his flank exposed.  Hurt and then killed in the same round.  

Got my sniper up to use squad sight; looking forward to seeing how well that will do.  I was keeping him advancing with the group, so hopefully I won't regret it over snap shot.  

Now, ontoa terror mission with my higher ranking soldiers

Late game, squad site is so much better than snap shot it isn't even really a contest.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: October 13, 2012, 06:04:40 PM »

Had a crappy thing happen to me earlier.  Was doing a mission to rescue a VIP.  Got to the VIP and had one turn with him, which I used to move him towards the escape and into cover.  The mission then spawns aliens as part of the mission to try to keep you from escaping so easily.  They immediately target the VIP and one-shot him, with me having no ability to do anything about it.  The irony is that if I would have left him where he was standing and out of cover, he probably would have been out of range, but I didn't know they were going to spawn aliens and so I moved him into cover and just happened to be a spot where they could hit and of course they didn't miss.  So mission failed and Brazil is now out of the program.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: October 13, 2012, 06:11:11 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on October 13, 2012, 05:21:35 PM

This mod sounds great. Installing.......

Yeah, for years I had a crappy PC and so I only got games for the 360. I had almost forgot the joys of modding and tweaking .ini files icon_biggrin

Regarding the VIP escort mission bad result: Yup, the game is scripted to try to intercept the VIP. I have learned to move the VIP no more than normal movement range (not Rushing range) and to have a couple of escort troopers near him/her on Overwatch at the end of each turn.

I would have to say that the best money spent at the very beginning of the game, after satellites and links, is to expand the squad to six. It's still not enough folks of course nod

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: