http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 06:18:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360/PC/PS3] XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Enemy Within expansion!  (Read 45802 times)
forgeforsaken
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: October 09, 2012, 03:39:35 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 09, 2012, 03:12:03 PM

Quote from: forgeforsaken on October 09, 2012, 03:06:32 PM

Classic is no joke.  I just jumped into a game real quick last night skipping the tutorial and lost a unit on the first mission.  I restarted this morning...

Why? Losing units in the first mission doesn't matter. That's why the tutorial kills off most of them. They're rookies. They're there to die. As long as you don't lose veterans or the mission, everything is fine. You're supposed to die on the first mission.
I didnt' restart because I lost the unit, but because I wanted to go through the tutorial as I heard it was a bit longer than the demo and I had some questions about some base mechanics I hope that it covers.  I believe there are 4 tutorial missions now as opposed to the 2 from the demo.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: October 09, 2012, 04:33:18 PM »

I'm going to see if I have the will to not reload a battle if i lose someone I've built up...
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: October 09, 2012, 04:57:16 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 09, 2012, 04:33:18 PM

I'm going to see if I have the will to not reload a battle if i lose someone I've built up...

That's why you turn on ironman mode.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: October 09, 2012, 05:41:47 PM »

Quote from: forgeforsaken on October 09, 2012, 04:57:16 PM

Quote from: ATB on October 09, 2012, 04:33:18 PM

That's why you turn on ironman mode.

Genius!
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: October 09, 2012, 05:55:37 PM »

ATB!!
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #365 on: October 09, 2012, 05:59:05 PM »

I think I'm about 7 missions in so far on Classic. The only soldier I've lost was a rookie in the first mission. After that everything has been relatively smooth sailing, though my men have taken some injuries during this time.

The global panic system seems weird. I lost both Japan and India at my first council meeting, and there wasn't really anything I could have done about it. Right now panic is escalating across multiple nations, and I don't really see how I'll be able to hold the tide back. I need to depend on luck to even handle one crisis, and then another one (or two, or three) will pop up. Even worse, panic spreads across nations in the same area, while you seem to only be able to deal with one nation at a time. I launched a satellite, but it barely made a dent. I'd launch more, but it's expensive and I have little money (I've only had one council meeting, and my funding from them got pretty low despite my amazing mission success rate).

Right now I'm not sure how to deal with it. Should I sell off my pile of sectoid corpses and rush towards another satellite array and another satellite? Money is extremely tight.

At least I managed to build an Officer Training School and upgraded squad size to 5.

Here's the squad I brought to my last mission:

Edit: For the record, I haven't reloaded even once.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: October 09, 2012, 06:03:20 PM »

I'm naming my troopers after film stars of the mid-Twentieth Century (my wife and I are big Turner Classic Movie fans). On my last mission I deployed Myna Lot, Clark "Rhett" Gable and Charles Laughton. Swinging the sniper rifle is Joan Crawford, who's nickname is "No Wire!" only because I couldn't fit "Hanger" in there icon_biggrin

UPDATE: I just noticed in the previous post someone else had the same idea, although more late 20th century. I do think Lt. Cruise's nickname might have been "Nutcase" but that's a personal opinion ninja

I'm playing on Easy but I'm going up to Normal since I haven't lost a trooper yet.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 06:05:24 PM by jztemple2 » Logged

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: October 09, 2012, 06:22:38 PM »

A guy at forums pointed out you can download the game manual in any language here (the Steam version doesn't come with a manual):

X-COM Enemy Unknown manuals
http://www.2kgames.com/manual/xcomeu/
*Although it's a 9-page PDF, basically only pages 3-5 have any useful info. Page 3 (keyboard shortcuts) might be something PC players want to print out for reference.
*One of the base rooms is called...
Spoiler for Hiden:
Gollop Chamber  icon_cool
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 06:27:35 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: October 09, 2012, 06:31:27 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 09, 2012, 06:22:38 PM

A guy at forums pointed out you can download the game manual in any language here (the Steam version doesn't come with a manual):

X-COM Enemy Unknown manuals
http://www.2kgames.com/manual/xcomeu/
*Although it's a 9-page PDF, basically only pages 3-5 have any useful info. Page 3 (keyboard shortcuts) might be something PC players want to print out for reference.

Thanks for the head's up. Annoyingly there's some problem with printing the tables in the PDF manual onto my B&W printer, I finally just used the Windows 7 Snip tool and grabbed a image and printed that.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: October 09, 2012, 06:42:40 PM »

Quick tip - Arc Stunners donor work on the Chrysslyads...  frown   

Lost my Assault Lt. Trying to capture one.   

Also Base Assaults are brutal

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #370 on: October 09, 2012, 06:48:33 PM »

They should work on Chryssalids. Unfortunately, to stun something, you have to get it around 3 health or less or your chances of stunning go out the window.

Right now I'm at a point in the game where I just don't think I can win. Barely at month 3 and the AI is sending gigantic waves of enemies at that are all hyperaccurate. There is just no way for any of my troops, even the most experienced and best equipped troops to survive, even in they're in cover and at long range.

Did they mistakenly trip off some kind of passive aggressive copy protection that makes the game unreasonably difficult? All I know is that I hit a base pretty early and took it with minimal casualties, using only basic weapons and a few pieces of carapace (or not even that).

I mean, I'm making some of the most cautious moves I can, yet the enemy is hitting 80%+ of the time from long range and behind cover. I'm always out of resources, and I'm going through recruits like tissue paper. It could be interesting to deal with this, but it's just so bad that it's annoying instead of fun.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 06:50:46 PM by Turtle » Logged
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: October 09, 2012, 06:50:38 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 09, 2012, 06:48:33 PM

Right now I'm at a point in the game where I just don't think I can win. Barely at month 3 and the AI is sending gigantic waves of enemies at that are all hyperaccurate. There is just no way for any of my troops, even the most experienced and best equipped troops to survive, even in they're in cover and at long range.

Did they mistakenly trip off some kind of passive aggressive copy protection that makes the game unreasonably difficult?

I mean, I'm making some of the most cautious moves I can, yet the enemy is hitting 80%+ of the time from long range and behind cover. I'm always out of resources, and I'm going through recruits like tissue paper.

What difficulty are you using? You can adjust it rather than giving up if you so wish.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #372 on: October 09, 2012, 06:58:43 PM »

I started on Classic, then realized something was just off with how it was handled. Then switched to Normal. I think their difficulty switching is bugged.

I'm a classic X-COM player, and even I think something is off with the difficulty as I've experienced it, which is saying something. When enemies are 1-3 shotting your guys while they're in cover from long range, it makes it seem like the developers made the game arbitrarily difficult, instead of naturally difficult. Combine that with the sheer volume of fire, and the habit of the AI to spring multiple clusters of undetected aliens out of the fog, with free moves, it just feels off.

Then again, I did forget to build a workshop for a long time, which sapped my resources early on. I didn't know I needed to build one, so I may be under equipped at this point in the game.

Coming from the original X-COMs, I'm used to losing troops, just not in these ridiculous ways. I don't feel like I'm making mistakes, instead I feel like the computer is using loaded dice.
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: October 09, 2012, 07:06:34 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 09, 2012, 06:58:43 PM

Coming from the original X-COMs, I'm used to losing troops, just not in these ridiculous ways. I don't feel like I'm making mistakes, instead I feel like the computer is using loaded dice.

I haven't seen anything as ridiculous as losing half your squad on the first turn like you could in the old X-Com.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #374 on: October 09, 2012, 07:09:39 PM »

Since I managed to survive 7 missions on Classic without losing any more than the one rookie in the first mission, perhaps there's something subtle you're doing wrong tactically? Yes, the aliens are very accurate, which is why you're supposed to stop them from shooting at you in the first place. A sniper with Squad Sight and lots of Overwatch is incredibly important, at least for most maps. I'm also finding it very useful to have an Assault with Lightning Reflexes, which lets him run into a room and safely draw fire from one alien on overwatch. Combined with Run & Gun he's been able to pull off some incredible flanking maneuvers, which is why he's now the highest ranked soldier in my base.

Alas, Corporal Jet Li fought in 5 missions, amassing only 4 kills as a Support guy, but fell to a sudden Thin Man and Floater ambush during an assault on a medium-sized UFO. His fellow soldiers will toast to his memory tonight.

A little tip: It seems to be safe to sell any alien technology that says "Damaged" in its name, and you can get good money for these things. This helped a bit with my money problems.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: October 09, 2012, 08:08:54 PM »

Sadly, Lt Joan "No Wire!" Crawford died on the last mission. My fault entirely, she was badly wounded and instead of pulling her back and letting her treat her own wounds, I left her forward on a 59% chance she'd kill the alien who was pinning her down. She will be missed crybaby

I'm seriously hurting for money. Any reason I can't sell some of my 31 Sectoid corpses?

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #376 on: October 09, 2012, 08:23:10 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on October 09, 2012, 08:08:54 PM

I'm seriously hurting for money. Any reason I can't sell some of my 31 Sectoid corpses?

To be vague about it, I've seen hints that they can be used for certain one-use weapons later in the game.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: October 09, 2012, 08:26:37 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 09, 2012, 08:23:10 PM

Quote from: jztemple2 on October 09, 2012, 08:08:54 PM

To be vague about it, I've seen hints that they can be used for certain one-use weapons later in the game.

Yeah, I figured it would be something like that.

"Give the player interesting decisions" - Sid Meier

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 09, 2012, 09:43:07 PM »

Soooo...

Is anyone getting this on 360?  I tried the PC demo and HATED the camera control and interface.  I also like the idea of playing on my couch and 63" TV.

PLEASE ADVISE.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: October 09, 2012, 10:25:38 PM »

hey ike 360 demo landed today, give it a go...

i AM going XBOX, but because im an idiot and didnt select release day shipping (ordered a book as well, didnt even THINK to do it frown ) i wont get mine for another few days to fill you in

that said i found the xbox camera angle a biiiiiiit cumbersome (actually less camera angle, more the zoom in / out) but nothing that i wont quickly adapt to with the *ahem* extensive play time i plan on putting in slywink
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: October 09, 2012, 10:29:21 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on October 09, 2012, 09:43:07 PM

Soooo...

Is anyone getting this on 360?  I tried the PC demo and HATED the camera control and interface.  I also like the idea of playing on my couch and 63" TV.

PLEASE ADVISE.

I just played about an hour and a half on the 360 and thought it was great.  The camera works well except for rotating, which doesn't feel natural, but isn't awful.  You use right/left on the d-pad, but it's not fluid.  You press once on the d-pad and the camera will pivot a quarter turn in that direction.  When you first do it, though, your inclination is to hold the d-pad down and, since the camera is swinging, it feels like you're controlling it until suddenly you're not.  

It'll just take some time to get used to it, IMO.  Also, it feels like it should be mapped to the right stick.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: October 09, 2012, 11:34:29 PM »

I'm playing the PC version with the 360 controller.  Camera controls were awkward at first, but you do get used to it.  The PC controls seem to be less laggy in the full release BTW

The game is definitely awesome.  It is a faster pace game than the original, but everything is still fun.  I did find the mission difficulties jumping up to difficult/very difficult all of a sudden.  I wonder if they are tied to "campaign" missions
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: October 10, 2012, 12:12:36 AM »

Well that's great. Completely misunderstood the f***** release date. Who releases at 9 p.m. on Monday on the West Coast and 12:01 a.m. on the East Coast? Christ. Now I don't even wanna play it...  mad

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #383 on: October 10, 2012, 12:13:17 AM »

D'oh! You know what? I've been playing on Classic difficulty this whole time. Yeah, switching to normal.

I think some of you playing on Classic are in for a shock later on, I'm pretty far into the game and things get a bit stupid in terms of what they expect you to deal with.

Honestly, I don't think Classic difficulty is appropriate, I don't mind a challenge, but what the developers put you up against isn't challenging gameplay, it's a grinding slog to see how long you last, and not in a good way.

Your soldiers are pitifully innaccurate, aliens are magically accurate and deadly, and no amount of preparation, planning, and tactics will keep more than half your squad from dying every mission later on.

What's more, the game wants you to flank enemies to negate the cover advantage they get, but because spawns are so plentiful in Classic mode, you're penalized for trying to make any sort of maneuvers by new enemies that get a free turn on you when spotted.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 12:25:39 AM by Turtle » Logged
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: October 10, 2012, 12:22:54 AM »

I've gone through more than a half dozen missions and I've never had the need for a soldier switch to a pistol. Is there a good time for this switch?

UPDATE: And another question, what do the red and green up and down arrows mean here? I've seen one up or down arrow, but never two before.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 12:36:59 AM by jztemple2 » Logged

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #385 on: October 10, 2012, 12:37:32 AM »

Enemies start getting a bit tougher and numerous, so you'll eventually find yourself in a situation where you don't want to reload because enemies are on top of you and if you don't finish them off this turn, you'll die the next.

Pistols are very useful for snipers as well, allows them to move and shoot without penalty. Some of the later pistols pump out decent damage too.

Green up arrows mean you have a buff. Look on the Soldier Info screen to see what. Red down arrows mean debuffs. For snipers, they get a generic debuff whenever they move that makes it so they can't use their sniper rifles.

Yeah, I can now confirm that some options changes, such as autosaves and difficulty switches, aren't taking effect properly. There are also some serous graphics/gameplay glitches. There's a freeway map where a part of it flickers like crazy if you mouse over it, which renders it difficult to use as cover, but it's also the only cover between you and an objective. There's also a big UFO later in the game where if you move the camera, it renders the roof, making it so you can't see anything.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 12:43:34 AM by Turtle » Logged
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: October 10, 2012, 12:40:20 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 10, 2012, 12:37:32 AM

Enemies start getting a bit tougher and numerous, so you'll eventually find yourself in a situation where you don't want to reload because enemies are on top of you and if you don't finish them off this turn, you'll die the next.

Pistols are very useful for snipers as well, allows them to move and shoot without penalty. Some of the later pistols pump out decent damage too.

Thanks, I should have figured out that "move and shoot without penalty" since it has been vexing me in almost every mission.

For some reason I thought switching weapons cost an action "point", but it's a freebie. Only really can bite you if you have overwatch set and are armed with the wrong weapon.

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: October 10, 2012, 12:45:03 AM »

Had the day off so put in 5hrs in to this. Great game but some bad choices in what to create or do has put me in a bad spot where I'm going to start over. For instance the nation I chose for my second satellite was China because I saw the panic level was higher there than other areas. Problem is my raptors can't reach China. So I basically had a single usable satellite. I'm also finding out you need to upgrade your weapons pretty quickly. The guns just are not cutting it anymore and really need lasers.

I did have some great moments though. My first alien base assualt ended in a quick wipe. For some reason the game assigned all rookie soldiers to take it on. I figured it was going to be a cake walk. It was not. I lost more than half the team in the first 3 moves to the zerg like aliens. Then the ones that died started coming back as zombies and I lost everyone but a single sniper. He lasted a bit longer but quickly got overwhlemed.

The second time I tried the alien base assault was many turns later as I licked my wounds. All I had were rookie soldiers as by then I was pretty behind technology wise for weapons and squad mates would die or get wounded on missions pretty often. But I outfitted them best I could and took things slow. Didn't matter. I lost one guy pretty quickly and almost a second before recovering. I kept taking is slow but another encounter in a long hallway ended up in disaster. A single sniper and rocket guy survived. I pressed on. Some thin guys appeared and had some amazing accuracy in their shooting and took out my rocket guy. My sniper lived but with the poison it left him with a single health bar. It went well for the next encounter with some new aliens where he was able to take them out at a distance. Then as I pressed forward the sniper ran in to 3 of the zerg and was too close to run or fight. So he basically died.

Having a blast with the game but I figure at this point I'm in a hole that I can't get out of and am going to start over with what I learned. So far I've been playing without reloading any save games, which is usually typical for me, but in the game seems like the better way to play to ratchet up the tension and care about what squad mates live or die.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: October 10, 2012, 12:51:19 AM »

The 360 version is at home waiting for me, but I don't know when I'm going to be able to play. I'm working from 5:30am until 4:00pm every day, then coming home and doing prep for 2-3 hours for the next day. Luckily it's only a week, but having a shiny new game, plus borderlands 2 staring me in the face makes it sting a little more.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: October 10, 2012, 01:59:42 AM »

This game came at the right time for me, I've burned out on Borderlands 2 and need a break from it.

I have a confession to make. I never found the original XCOM to be all that great. Oh, it had it's moments, and the concept was fascinating, but playing it reminded me of the two weeks I spent on World of Warcraft after my nephew talked me into giving it a try. Lots of tedium. Especially painful was loading out before each mission. My philosophy was always to bring everything since I might need that last clip. So suiting up was a long and tedious process.

Now in the new game, it's so much better. Only a few decisions to be made on who carries what. Ammo is unlimited (except for the grenades and rockets) which is fine since in the old game I never ran out either, I just spent a lot more time loading up ammo without making any ultimate difference to my gameplay.

I am a bit weirded out a bit concerning the tiny amount that can be carried in a backpack. Want to carry a grenade? Fine, but no medikit for you. The wizards develop some cool new stuff, but you can only carry one of these items and then no grenade or medikit.

In fact not having that medic with three kits can practically wreck a mission. I stupidly lost my one and only medic in an early mission and it was several more before I got one back and I did suffer. Now I keep that medic in reserve and way back. Way, way back.

I'm still stumbling around with which facilities to build and what things to buy, but I'm having a gas with the game.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 02:01:39 AM by jztemple2 » Logged

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: October 10, 2012, 03:42:55 AM »

So far, all kinds of awesome even if (I've got Iron Man mode on, Normal diff) I'm losing one soldier virtually every mission. I'm going to run out of troops at this rate, if I don't start hiring.

And yes, blowing out the side of a wall with a rocket launcher is just as fun as one would expect.  icon_cool You can free aim up to a point, I don't think you can lob it like a catapult per se. I was trying to save my self-named support guy who I'd hung out to dry (no cover facing where he needed it), but he died next turn.

Earlier it was fun to see my support guy's cover gradually disintegrate around him to where he was basically buck naked.  icon_razz

Even though that's just the demo map, it definitely felt different with the units I had. And with even just the demo and a few missions experienced I started approaching things differently. Better? Uhhhh.. I'll get back to you on that.  icon_redface
=====================

If this game's a big enough hit to start a trend, I'd like to see something similar with a SWAT-type game, or military stuff.  icon_cool Or, heck, comic book super heroes. Let the turn-based tactical renaissance begin here. Lets party like it's 1994. icon_smile
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 03:46:56 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: October 10, 2012, 03:52:51 AM »

This is the end of a Base Assault that went very, very badly. That's my last trooper, Charles "Bligh" Laughton, in the center of four Chryssalids. This isn't going to end well, I might have to close my eyes.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #392 on: October 10, 2012, 09:14:08 AM »

Yeah, I had something like that:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Terror mission from hell. 9 Chryssalids with the run of 18 civilians. I saved only one person, then it was an unending wave of zombies and more chryssalids. I didn't even have laser weaponry to kill them quickly enough, lost a lot of highly skilled troops on that mission, and it was the first that I had to abandon mid mission.

Now I have guys specced out for killing Chryssalids.

Ugh, why does everything have to take alloys? Need it for research, need it to build anything useful. I've started using arc throwers more just to equip myself with

Oh and almost managed to stun a
Spoiler for Hiden:
muton berzerker
with a 90% chance, but no it had to be the one time out of 10 that it misses. Would have loved to see what research I get off that.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: October 10, 2012, 12:23:42 PM »

I realize my problem with XCOM.

I get too attached to the troops.  I haven't even been naming them this time, and I still can't stand the idea of one of them dying.  I used to save before every human turn (sometimes every move) in the old game.  I'm trying to be better now and only save when I'm not sure how something works, mechanically (like the first time I used a rocket launcher, I wasn't sure how the game would handle it.  Sure enough, I moved into position to fire, found out I couldn't move and fire, went through the round and immediately lost a guy.  Reloaded, boom.  All aliens dead).

But I know what'll start happening.  I'm going to dread going on missions with them, and that'll put me off playing the game.  And it's too bad, because I think it's really, really well done.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: October 10, 2012, 12:31:20 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 10, 2012, 12:23:42 PM

I realize my problem with XCOM.

I get too attached to the troops.  I haven't even been naming them this time, and I still can't stand the idea of one of them dying.  I used to save before every human turn (sometimes every move) in the old game.  I'm trying to be better now and only save when I'm not sure how something works, mechanically (like the first time I used a rocket launcher, I wasn't sure how the game would handle it.  Sure enough, I moved into position to fire, found out I couldn't move and fire, went through the round and immediately lost a guy.  Reloaded, boom.  All aliens dead).

But I know what'll start happening.  I'm going to dread going on missions with them, and that'll put me off playing the game.  And it's too bad, because I think it's really, really well done.

Agreed, I'm not trying to get too attached, but losing those Captains & ups hurt.  Especially as they wear some of the better gear.

Do you lose gear on dead soldiers?

NiM$
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #395 on: October 10, 2012, 12:39:01 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on October 10, 2012, 12:31:20 PM

No, but I think there's a modifier you can apply to your new games after winning your first one that makes this happen.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: October 10, 2012, 12:40:26 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on October 10, 2012, 12:31:20 PM

Agreed, I'm not trying to get too attached, but losing those Captains & ups hurt.  Especially as they wear some of the better gear.

Can't find the link at the moment (official forums), but I believe someone said you don't lose gear on dead soldiers -- their gear is returned to the base equipment depot (or whatever you wish to call it  icon_smile) and is available to your remaining troops.

This was a favorite moment in the early going on a crashed (brought down by us) UFO mission. I was trying to stalk this guy with a sniper (not promoted yet, so you can't fire and move at the same turn), while my support and assault guys stalked him from the other side. I had the sniper dash, and the Predator-ish alien fired in Overwatch mode but missed (just before this screenshot, there was a nice mini-cutscene of the dashing sequence).

Finally the assault guy nailed him from the other side. I think this was after my support guy missed with an 87% (!) aim chance.

My Achille's Heels so far are not thinking ahead to what the aliens might do on their turn, putting my guys in cover that's only helpful in one direction, and misjudging whether my sniper has line-of-sight from the tops of buildings. Couple times I've just resorted to throwing grenades, because my sniper just can't seem to aim at anything on the ground (even far from his rooftop perch), I guess I'm just not grasping the targeting sight lines with those.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 12:44:33 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: October 10, 2012, 01:25:29 PM »

BJ have you specced your sniper with the skills that uses the others team-mates los?   This has been a tremendous help for my Sniper duo.   The Assaults and Heavies push forward while the Snipers sit back dropping Aliens.  Both of my Snipers tops my other guys for kills except the Heavy you start with in the demo. 

NiM$
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #398 on: October 10, 2012, 01:27:06 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on October 10, 2012, 01:25:29 PM

BJ have you specced your sniper with the skills that uses the others team-mates los?   This has been a tremendous help for my Sniper duo.   The Assaults and Heavies push forward while the Snipers sit back dropping Aliens.  Both of my Snipers tops my other guys for kills except the Heavy you start with in the demo. 

I agree. My main sniper felt pretty useless until he got Squadsight, but then he became godlike. If anything moved, he'd kill it, even if it was on the other side of the map.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: October 10, 2012, 02:20:28 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on October 10, 2012, 01:25:29 PM

BJ have you specced your sniper with the skills that uses the others team-mates los?   This has been a tremendous help for my Sniper duo.   The Assaults and Heavies push forward while the Snipers sit back dropping Aliens.  Both of my Snipers tops my other guys for kills except the Heavy you start with in the demo.  
My first sniper died, I went with the Snap Shot skill on the other. I guess we can't "respec"?  icon_smile I'll try that other one cause it just feels like my sniper is blind. I guess the idea is that he needs a "spotter," like that Squadsight skill.

Although I'm tempted to just restart, I think it's good practice to do an Iron Man game and just see how it changes your decision-making on the battlefield. I should be smarter/more cautious but I haven't mastered that yet.  icon_razz

Don't talk about how great Squadsight is, or I'm sure Firaxis will fix our wagons on that, so to speak. NERF!  paranoid
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 02:22:07 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: