http://gamingtrend.com
April 23, 2014, 07:07:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360/PC/PS3] XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Enemy Within expansion!  (Read 37181 times)
Doopri
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 03, 2012, 08:33:01 PM »

wow thanks tilt that sounds... exactly like what i was hoping for!  in a game like this id rather have near full up and down vs 360 (i think someone else in the thread pointed out the potential for problems with the world geometry and camera angles were the camera 360 degree rotation - this way the devs can just make maps that dont have conflicts with LOS and off camera angles)
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 03, 2012, 09:51:46 PM »

Designer Jake Solomon tries to sell people on the game  icon_smile

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 04, 2012, 12:10:43 AM »

Looks like people who pre-ordered the game at greenmangaming will be getting the Civ 5 bonus!!!!!  TF2 hats, not so much.

http://blog.greenmangaming.com/2012/10/xcom-enemy-unknown-civilization-v-bonus.html
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 04, 2012, 02:04:39 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on October 03, 2012, 09:51:46 PM

Designer Jake Solomon tries to sell people on the game  icon_smile
Favorite Jake quotes in that:
"It's like a sandwich of gaming!"
"This game is sort of like the next step for shooters."
"You run a base. It teaches you management skills."

Jake: "You choose where to fight. You, like, direct the entire war. You..."
Customer: "I'm gonna get all my people killed."
Jake: "Yeah, you will."

"It's not eeeeeeeeeeeee (fiddles with hands), it's eeeeeehhhhh (points to the side of his own forehead). It's this... (taps side of forehead again) and then... it's this (taps on his own chest/heart)."

"You know they don't do those games on the big consoles very often."
"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it."

Customer: "Say you gotta like storm a building. You don't know who or what's in there. So you split your group into two. And..."
Jake: "We're still talking about videogames now, right?"
Customer: "Right..."

Jake: "You ever hear about the guy who made this game? Jake Solomon?"
Customer: "No."
Jake: "No. Whatever. He's super handsome..."

Jake: "You guys like aliens?"
Customer: "Nooo."
Jake: "Right. You like shooting aliens, right?"

"I'm gonna convince you about aliens, man. You haven't played the right alien game."

"The thing about this videogame is your soldiers, they die. So like, none of that fake videogame bullsh*t. When your guys die in this game, they're gone for good."

"Your soldiers are out there. They're dying from the decisions you've made. You're crying. You feel terrible about yourself... Sound like a good time?"

"You can be playing for like 10 hours and lose this game. That doesn't sound like fun when I say it like that but uuuuuuh... but it is."

"I'll go half in on it, man. I'll buy this game for half. Like, this game goes for $120. All you have to do is pay $60, I'll pay the other $60."
*Customer slowly breaks into laughter*

Even in print, it's hilarious.  icon_lol
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 06:17:13 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 04, 2012, 02:35:27 AM »

those are pretty great.  sig worthy, in fact

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: October 04, 2012, 12:48:05 PM »

Who is greenman gaming?

I've seen them referenced several places...
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 04, 2012, 01:28:38 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 04, 2012, 12:48:05 PM

Who is greenman gaming?

http://www.greenmangaming.com/

Kind of like a UK based version of Steam. They have a client you need to download and play anything not tied to "third party DRM" like Steam but unlike them you can trade games in. For anything Steam, I've just gotten a key from them (haven't installed their client) and then put it into Steam and away we go. They seem to be pretty good about having sales and/or discounts available...

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 04, 2012, 05:16:01 PM »

Official Launch Trailer video: Our Last Hope
*It's 1min 38secs long. You'll have to login to YouTube or Google to watch because it's so scary.  Bring your own!

*And yes, you'll have to forgive 2K for doing everything in their video trailer power to make you think it's some sort of third person Mass Effect 3 wannabe. They don't want to scare the masses away with intimidating phrases like "turn-based combat"  paranoid or "base management"  icon_eek...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 05:22:18 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 04, 2012, 06:38:05 PM »

That wasn't scary at all!  I think X-Com can be a very suspenseful and scary game but that video doesn't do it justice.  That's fine, I'm not the target demographic they are going for with it.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: October 04, 2012, 07:16:19 PM »

I've never played  xcom. Is there something beyond aliens vs. humans that i need to know to enjoy this game?
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: October 04, 2012, 08:08:12 PM »

The original was one of the best turn based strategy games ever made.  The demo for this one seems to capture a lot of the magic from the original.  If you like turn based strategy games, this one seems like a winner.

All you need to know is that the MF'ng aliens invading Earth need to die.  That's pretty much it.  Oh, and you can build your team of alien killers and lead them tactically into battle.  Did I mention it's turn based goodness?     
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 04, 2012, 10:36:59 PM »

It being TBS is the only reason I'm interested.  Booyah!
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 05, 2012, 12:47:08 PM »

When I crack about "the masses," I don't mean the GT forums. There are tons of games everybody loves here (including me) that nobody else buys, and that basically fail in the marketplace, and that cost too much to develop to settle for niche-game sales. I'm hoping XCOM doesn't fall into that crack. I hope it's enough of a hit on all three platforms.

I'll continue joking wise that publishers are terrified of saying the phrase "turn-based" in any sort of marketing. It's sad. icon_razz And ridiculous right? This isn't 1994. You can do a millisecond search online and know what XCOM's about, so why do trailers that try desperately to make it look like something it's not (another shooter) and that try to avoid talking about what makes it special (turn-based tactical combat, deep base management, etc.). Oh well, doesn't matter now. Next Tuesday feels so close yet so far.  icon_smile
===================================

Game Informer apparently posted the first review, fwiw (not that everyone sees GI as some great totem of tough reviews, but as seen below they have some complaints/concerns). A guy at forums shared some excerpts from his iPad copy of the magazine:
http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?145756-GameInformer-November-Issue-on-iPad-XCOM-EU-Review&p=2043511#post2043511
Here are a few tidbits though:

- Direct quote - "Defending against XCOM's mysterious alien invasion is one of the most challenging, intense gaming experiences of this generation."
- Direct quote - "Firaxis' outstanding design strips away every last vestige of tedium from combat while maintaining the agency that makes the original such a classic."
- GI mentions that they saw maps repeat, with spawn locations changing.
- GI wishes there was more to research than upgraded guns and armor. They ask where are the flamethrowers, flashbangs, incendiary rockets, etc. [I believe Jake Solomon explained something to the effect that flamethrowers caused graphical problems and didn't add much to the game -- if only he'd played Blue Bye's 1997 game Incubation, he'd feel differently  icon_twisted; imho, flashbangs belong in SWAT and Rainbow 6 games, not XCOM -BJ]

- Direct quote - "Occasional line-of-sight problems are the only blemishes on XCOM's otherwise rock-solid technical excecution."
- GI was not too impressed with the multiplayer option in the game. Direct quote - "Only a handful of maps are available, and there's no persistence or ranking structure. I don't see any appeal to the multiplayer other than playing a couple rounds with a buddy just to see what commanding mutons and chryssalids is like."

Final paragraph of review:
"Both of XCOM's layers present life-or-death conundrums to which there is no right answer. No matter what you pick, something or someone is going to suffer for it. This kind of tension and terror rarely occurs within mainstream gaming, and almost never with this level of skill in the execution. Don't let the "turn-based strategy" moniker scare you off; XCOM is a singular achievement that every gamer deserves to experience."
The lone disappointment was of the spoiler variety. If you want to know, check out the link, and then he made it so you need to highlight it to view (at the end of his post).
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 12:51:11 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: October 05, 2012, 02:22:45 PM »

Agree with you on quite a few points.  Disagree on the flash-bang grenades!!  Anything they can do to add more options/tactics to combat, the better imo.  I would take flash-bangs, flamethrowers, psyker armor, bio-bombs, tangle-grenades, the kitchen sink, and anything else they can come up with.  Maybe someone will find a way to mod all that stuff in, so for people that feel "that doesn't belong in xcom" - they never have to worry about it.

Anyone know if Jake was ever asked the question on why they went with 'You-Go-I-Go' instead of an initiative system for combat?  It's not like they haven't deviated from the original in other ways, so I'm not sure why this would be a great point of contention.  Just curious if he's ever commented on it.

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 05, 2012, 07:30:19 PM »

word on the internets is that pre-load is up on steam!!!!  (how large is the download??)

People who pre-ordered the game from gmg is supposed to get their keys starting October 6th.  PLUS, they're offering a $10 game credit for anyone in North America who pre-ordered from them.  So, you get the game for 10% off, a free copy of Civ 5 and $10 game credit.  They are really trying to get people to try out their service. 

can't wait for the game to be released!!!
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 05, 2012, 07:33:09 PM »

Sys reqs state you need 20 GB.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: October 05, 2012, 07:49:01 PM »

I know it says you need 20gb to play, but I'm hoping the download size is smaller than that.  20gb is 1/3 of my monthly bandwidth limit icon_cry
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 05, 2012, 08:25:26 PM »

Quote from: lex on October 05, 2012, 07:49:01 PM

I know it says you need 20gb to play, but I'm hoping the download size is smaller than that.  20gb is 1/3 of my monthly bandwidth limit icon_cry

The demo alone is almost 6 GB, so I would assume the 20 GB size is what you'll have to download.

People who pre-ordered the game from gmg is supposed to get their keys starting October 6th.  PLUS, they're offering a $10 game credit for anyone in North America who pre-ordered from them.  So, you get the game for 10% off, a free copy of Civ 5 and $10 game credit.  They are really trying to get people to try out their service.

You also get the Elite Soldier Pack DLC - not bad for $37 smile
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 08:33:28 PM by EddieA » Logged

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: October 05, 2012, 08:42:32 PM »

I wonder if the install on the consoles will also be 20 Gig. If so, that certainly makes the choice of which console to get it for easier...
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: October 05, 2012, 08:46:26 PM »

Looks like the download size is around 12 gb according to the 2k forums...
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #300 on: October 05, 2012, 09:15:52 PM »

I pre ordered on GMG, they also have a $10 credit deal right now if you pre-order through them. So not only do you get Civ 5, the pre-order packs, and $5 off the normal price, you also get $10 credit for a later purchase, and it's all still on Steam.

Oh, and I'm also pre-loading right now. Monday night can't come soon enough.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 05, 2012, 09:58:38 PM »

I know it says you need 20gb to play, but I'm hoping the download size is smaller than that.  20gb is 1/3 of my monthly bandwidth limit icon_cry

This is one of those times I appreciate being lucky enough to have an ISP that doesn't even mention bandwidth limits in their contract.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #302 on: October 05, 2012, 10:00:10 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on October 05, 2012, 09:58:38 PM

This is one of those times I appreciate being lucky enough to have an ISP that doesn't even mention bandwidth limits in their contract.

This is one of those many times I appreciate living in a country where no ISP has bandwidth limits at all, and the speeds are excellent. I'm almost done preloading XCOM now. It's been downloading at a steady 7+ MB/sec. smile
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 05, 2012, 10:03:02 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 05, 2012, 10:00:10 PM

This is one of those many times I appreciate living in a country where no ISP has bandwidth limits at all, and the speeds are excellent. I'm almost done preloading XCOM now. It's been downloading at a steady 7+ MB/sec. smile

I'm at 1.4 MB/s, I'm too cheap (or my wife is slywink) to spring for one of those Lightning/Turbo upgrades.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 05, 2012, 10:45:40 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 05, 2012, 12:47:08 PM

Game Informer apparently posted the first review, fwiw (not that everyone sees GI as some great totem of tough reviews, but as seen below they have some complaints/concerns). A guy at forums shared some excerpts from his iPad copy of the magazine:
http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?145756-GameInformer-November-Issue-on-iPad-XCOM-EU-Review&p=2043511#post2043511

I haven't seen this posted since Blackjack's post, but for what it's worth, the full review is available on the Game Informer site.

Over the course of several reviews now, Adam Biessener has impressed me as a discerning PC reviewer whose tastes hew pretty closely to my own.  I'm looking forward to this game.

-Autistic Angel
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: October 05, 2012, 10:48:29 PM »

One more question about steam.

I'm getting this game from amazon (i have credit so it's free).  When I install it from the disk, will it prompt me to login to steam or will i have to register it with steam after the fact.

Really really excited for this game. I hope we can all play together some time.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: October 05, 2012, 10:55:43 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 05, 2012, 10:48:29 PM

I'm getting this game from amazon (i have credit so it's free).  When I install it from the disk, will it prompt me to login to steam or will i have to register it with steam after the fact.

My experience is that beginning the install from the disc will immediately launch Steam and have you register the game.  If you're unlucky, entering the key will then cause Steam to begin trying to download the entire game from the internet rather than from your disc.  True story.  icon_confused

If the installation will allow it, try cancelling out of Steam and installing as much as possible from the disc.

-Autistic Angel
Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: October 05, 2012, 11:20:21 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on October 05, 2012, 10:55:43 PM

Quote from: ATB on October 05, 2012, 10:48:29 PM

My experience is that beginning the install from the disc will immediately launch Steam and have you register the game.  If you're unlucky, entering the key will then cause Steam to begin trying to download the entire game from the internet rather than from your disc.  True story.  icon_confused

If the installation will allow it, try cancelling out of Steam and installing as much as possible from the disc.

-Autistic Angel

Yes, what's on the disc is a Steam "backup" of the game. It's the same as if you click "Backup and Restore" in the menu and backup a single game. That said, it was kinda wonky for a long, long while. I believe this issue is mostly fixed these days, though. Partially because they changed the way the games are updated.

If you have that problem, just copy the contents of the DVD(s) to a directory on your hard drive and use the built in Steam restore from there. (Meaning, go to Steam->"Backup and Restore Games" in Steam. Don't run the executable in the directory.) It won't download as much/any data at all before it gets it off the hard drive.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 06, 2012, 02:24:03 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 05, 2012, 09:15:52 PM

I pre ordered on GMG, they also have a $10 credit deal right now if you pre-order through them. So not only do you get Civ 5, the pre-order packs, and $5 off the normal price, you also get $10 credit for a later purchase, and it's all still on Steam.

Oh, and I'm also pre-loading right now. Monday night can't come soon enough.
Damn, that's awesome.  It brings the price I paid down to half.  And that isn't counting the copy of Civ 5. thumbsup

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: October 06, 2012, 03:14:02 AM »

Quote from: lex on October 05, 2012, 08:46:26 PM

Looks like the download size is around 12 gb according to the 2k forums...

I can confirm that:

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
davidrobots
Senior Lead Editor
Gaming Trend Reader

Holler holler get dollar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #310 on: October 06, 2012, 04:11:05 AM »

Man, this is what I get for preordering from Gamefly Digital...

At least I got a $10 discount and the pre-order bonus. But I wanna preload my game too...

David Roberts
Managing Editor, Gaming Trend

Twitter: @davidrobots
Nintendo ID: davidrobots
Xbox Gamertag: FencerMusashi
PSN ID: Fencer Musashi
Steam: davidrobots
3DS: 2148-8144-9369
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: October 06, 2012, 05:10:38 AM »

If you pre ordered from gmg, check your mail.  Codes have been sent.

The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: October 06, 2012, 01:35:17 PM »

Since I've read that the game I've been waiting for (for years... ) will not support Windows XP, I don't really know what the best course of action would be. Should I wait for Windows 8? I've read that you can cheaply upgrade XP to 8? But the general buzz isn't very good (don't know why), so maybe buy Windows 7? Is there a general consensus about this? I can't be the only person in this forum who's still (happily) using WinXP smile
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: October 06, 2012, 02:07:31 PM »

Woohoo!!! pre-loading now.  Can't wait to try this out

Quote from: The Rocketman on October 06, 2012, 01:35:17 PM

Since I've read that the game I've been waiting for (for years... ) will not support Windows XP, I don't really know what the best course of action would be. Should I wait for Windows 8? I've read that you can cheaply upgrade XP to 8? But the general buzz isn't very good (don't know why), so maybe buy Windows 7? Is there a general consensus about this? I can't be the only person in this forum who's still (happily) using WinXP smile

There is a demo available on steam, so you can see if it'll run on your system or not. 

I would say upgrade to windows 7.  I was very hesitant to move from XP too, but once you go 7, you won't go back.... slywink

Windows 8 is a BIG departure in interface (you don't get access to the desktop from what I've heard) and is designed more towards tablets/touch devices.  I'm waiting to see what hardware manufacturers do with it (ie come out with a touchscreen LCD).
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: October 06, 2012, 03:20:32 PM »

Quote from: lex on October 06, 2012, 02:07:31 PM

Windows 8 is a BIG departure in interface (you don't get access to the desktop from what I've heard) and is designed more towards tablets/touch devices.  I'm waiting to see what hardware manufacturers do with it (ie come out with a touchscreen LCD).

Win 8 was designed for touchscreens/tablets, so it works "better" on those type of systems.
You can sort of access the old desktop interface still, but it isn't running in the background or anything. it is an actual app that needs to be run.
The interface has totally changed from all previous versions of Windows and will have a learning curve... I am still undecided overall on if I will make this my main OS, but I will be getting Win 8 for learning purposes...
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: October 06, 2012, 04:12:37 PM »

Quote from: lex on October 06, 2012, 02:07:31 PM

Quote from: The Rocketman on October 06, 2012, 01:35:17 PM

There is a demo available on steam, so you can see if it'll run on your system or not. 

I would say upgrade to windows 7.  I was very hesitant to move from XP too, but once you go 7, you won't go back.... slywink

I was happy with XP,  but my old rig was on it's last legs so when I got a new one I went from XP to 7 and am just as happy. Even more importantly, my wife went from XP to 7 on her office computer and hasn't complained at all about the interface.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: October 06, 2012, 04:27:41 PM »

Hey this is pretty cool news from the 2K community rep imho -- breaking with the midnight PST, 3 a.m. EST "unlock" tradition...

http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?146216-When-exactly-does-the-game-unlock&p=2052196#post2052196
Quote from: 2K Greg
It'll unlock at 9pm Pacific, midnight Eastern.
Although for me, that probably just means I'll have time to play that same stupid tutorial again before I have to go to sleep.  *Fist Shaking*

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 06, 2012, 04:34:09 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 06, 2012, 04:27:41 PM

Although for me, that probably just means I'll have time to play that same stupid tutorial again before I have to go to sleep.  *Fist Shaking*

I saw in an article a couple of weeks ago (sorry, can't find the link) that you can choose to skip the tutorial and jump right into the campaign.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: October 06, 2012, 04:35:58 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on October 06, 2012, 04:34:09 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on October 06, 2012, 04:27:41 PM

Although for me, that probably just means I'll have time to play that same stupid tutorial again before I have to go to sleep.  *Fist Shaking*

I saw in an article a couple of weeks ago (sorry, can't find the link) that you can choose to skip the tutorial and jump right into the campaign.
Well darn, I need to find something else to be upset about then.  icon_smile While we impatiently wait for "the sandwich of gaming."  smirk

Playing
PC
-Breach & Clear
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #319 on: October 06, 2012, 09:38:19 PM »

The game will also automatically skip the tutorial for any future games if you play through the tutorial once. But, you can still disable it on your first go as well. Pretty nice feature.

Watching a video, they do make the first mission pretty hard, to replicate the same feeling as in the tutorial though.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: