http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 06:34:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360/PC/PS3] XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Enemy Within expansion!  (Read 42481 times)
jztemple2
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 31, 2012, 06:53:36 PM »

I was going to get this for the X360 because my PC video card is pretty modest, but I'm wondering that since it's TBS it might be possible to run decently. Really hope there's a PC demo before the release date.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 31, 2012, 10:17:26 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on August 30, 2012, 08:17:37 PM

The funniest thing about all these videos to me is how often they talk about how hard the game is; yet I don't recall ever seeing more than one guy die in any given mission.

You're not paying attention Lockdown.  In both missions they lost one of the best, most senior soldier in the group.  In the first mission, the sniper who was IIRC a major and had 25 kills in 10 missions.  Honestly, the sniper died because the player was stupid (in fact both Jake and Casey told the 2k marketing guy playing the game not to take a shot, but he did anyway, which brought the Cyberdisc down on him).  In the second mission they lost the heavy, who IIRC was another major.  That one was more legitimate.  He pushed forward just a little, exposing a Cyberdisc along with two support drones.  The Cyberdisc killed him on its turn, which triggered one of the rookies to panic, which almost got the rookie killed by a Crysalid.  Check around 45 minutes in on the Youtube version of the video.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: August 31, 2012, 10:27:34 PM »

In the streams that just finished, the guy playing turned up the difficulty during a mission to Impossible. This isn't true Impossible difficulty as that is supposed to also determine the amount of aliens on the map, among other things, so it was a bit easier than it was supposed to be. In any case, he was absolutely slaughtered. All his guys were killed. His tactical skills were abysmal, but still.

Got to see the PC interface in action. It's got a few throwbacks to the classic interface. Unlike the controller interface, this one actually uses squares and features a rectangle as your cursor (just like the original).

From the multiplayer matches I've seen so far, success seems to depend a lot on who discovers who. If you can get in the first shot, you've got a huge advantage. Most attacks are very, very deadly, and only the toughest of soldiers or aliens can withstand more than one hit.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 31, 2012, 11:17:49 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on August 31, 2012, 10:27:34 PM

From the multiplayer matches I've seen so far, success seems to depend a lot on who discovers who. If you can get in the first shot, you've got a huge advantage. Most attacks are very, very deadly, and only the toughest of soldiers or aliens can withstand more than one hit.

I can see a lot of draws where both sides sit still and wait for the other guy to move forwards and the timer runs out. Most excellent for campers like me! ninja

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: September 01, 2012, 10:22:16 AM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on August 31, 2012, 11:17:49 PM

Quote from: TiLT on August 31, 2012, 10:27:34 PM

I can see a lot of draws where both sides sit still and wait for the other guy to move forwards and the timer runs out. Most excellent for campers like me! ninja

That was one of the questions they answered last night:

"What happens if both players decide to sit at their starting location and wait."
"Well, you'll have a very long, very boring match."

Moral of the story: Move forward or you'll just make the game less enjoyable for everyone.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: September 01, 2012, 01:18:31 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on August 31, 2012, 05:18:51 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on August 31, 2012, 05:12:20 PM

Hey, in case GT sent anyone to PAX Prime, this might be of interest.  Fabulous

XCOM: Enemy Unknown Fans at PAX Can Dress as The Thin Man to Skip the Demo Line
http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/27787/xcom-enemy-unknown-fans-at-pax-can-dress-as-the-thin-man-to-skip-the-demo-line

OK.... I guess I don't see the tie-in to the character "Clyde Wynant " from the 1934 movie "The Thin Man" but maybe this isn't the reference they mean?
icon_lol +1 for cleverness.

Certainly, cosplay as this guy:

Not, this guy:

icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 01, 2012, 01:23:52 PM »

I haven't dug around the official forums much. One post there clarified difficulty levels. Since we were chatting about that earlier, thought it worth pointing out. It's in this stickied post:

X-COM Information Summarized (I put link in Spoilers, as he has lots of details on units, bases etc. ; maybe you don't want to know all that just yet)
Difficulty settings [E]
- Easy
- Normal
- Hard
- "Classic"
- Impossible (how long will you last -mode) [37]
Ironman mode [E]
- Toggle at campaign start.
- Auto-save only, one savegame.  
I'm not sure what the numbers and letters refer to. Some sort of footnote system he's using maybe? Anyway, I think if one really wants to punish one self and make the game brutally unforgiving, there's the settings to do that.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 01:25:37 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 01, 2012, 01:29:23 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on August 31, 2012, 06:53:36 PM

I was going to get this for the X360 because my PC video card is pretty modest, but I'm wondering that since it's TBS it might be possible to run decently. Really hope there's a PC demo before the release date.
Here's the XCOM System requirements:
MINIMUM PC REQUIREMENTS
Minimum CPU Type: 386SX
Minimum RAM Required: 4 MB
Graphics Type: VGA
Graphics Resolution: 640x480
Color Depth: 256 Colors
You're good to go!... What? OH. That's the OLD XCOM.... wait a sec...  retard icon_lol

I have combed the galaxy including Uranus, and I have not so far found official PC system requirements. While it is turn-based, I suspect the combat animations and the mega detailed "ant farm" bases will require a bit of horsepower. Hopefully my aging PC can suffice.

=======================
Hey, I was using the video player near the bottom of the Gamestop pre-order page. I think video #2 about the bases is something I've not seen before. I can't seem to find a way to directly link it so check out the video player at the pre-order page, click the 2nd image for the video feature on Bases: (just under 6 minutes long)
http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/xcom-enemy-unknown-special-edition/99061
*It's mega HD quality, looks good at full screen. Even if it's old, it's worth seeing again imho.  icon_cool I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with because it sounds like everyone's base setup will be different depending on what they want to excel at. And just placement of the various rooms.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 01:45:24 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: September 01, 2012, 02:20:11 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on September 01, 2012, 01:23:52 PM

I haven't dug around the official forums much. One post there clarified difficulty levels. Since we were chatting about that earlier, thought it worth pointing out. It's in this stickied post:

X-COM Information Summarized (I put link in Spoilers, as he has lots of details on units, bases etc. ; maybe you don't want to know all that just yet)
Difficulty settings [E]
- Easy
- Normal
- Hard
- "Classic"
- Impossible (how long will you last -mode) [37]
Ironman mode [E]
- Toggle at campaign start.
- Auto-save only, one savegame.  
I'm not sure what the numbers and letters refer to. Some sort of footnote system he's using maybe? Anyway, I think if one really wants to punish one self and make the game brutally unforgiving, there's the settings to do that.

I don't think there's a difficulty called "Hard". At least I don't think there was in the livestream yesterday. There were four difficulty levels that I can remember: Easy, Normal, Classic, and Impossible, with Ironman being separate from those. They mentioned that the game designer recently lost a game on Classic difficulty. It's supposed to be at roughly the same level of challenge as Normal in the old X-Com game. I don't think I ever played that game on anything but the easiest difficulty thanks to the good old bug that reset the difficulty when you loaded a game, but it sure felt challenging enough.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 01, 2012, 03:03:47 PM »

I watched the earlier gameplay feed with sound finally. I noticed Solomon pointed out that the PC version will be optionally playable with a console controller (maybe old news; don't recall hearing that before). I still don't think we've seen any footage where it was actually played with a keyboard and mouse, fwiw.

Caught a lot of screen captures. Here is the Situation Room They Didn't Want Us To See Yet (they were joking about it but did tell the dev to pull the view back quickly, so you only see this for a split second; I suspect maybe it's subject to change or something)

* I think "arc thrower" is a fancy name for the little handheld gizmo that lets you stun and capture a live alien.

On the more mundane side, here's the PC options menu:

*Note that "Change Difficulty" is on the pause menu, so I assume that means we can adjust campaign difficulty "on the fly." I'm a bit curious what "Edit Options" means.

Playing
PC
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: September 01, 2012, 03:13:51 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on September 01, 2012, 03:03:47 PM

I watched the earlier gameplay feed with sound finally. I noticed Solomon pointed out that the PC version will be optionally playable with a console controller (maybe old news; don't recall hearing that before). I still don't think we've seen any footage where it was actually played with a keyboard and mouse, fwiw.

They showed the interface using a mouse and keyboard in yesterday's livestream. All footage we've seen (before yesterday) from the game has been from the PC version using a controller, AFAIK.

Caught a lot of screen captures. Here is the Situation Room They Didn't Want Us To See Yet (they were joking about it but did tell the dev to pull the view back quickly, so you only see this for a split second; I suspect maybe it's subject to change or something)

They weren't joking about it. They weren't supposed to show that part of the game yet, probably because it contains mild spoilers (in terms of technology) and because it contains mentions of unannounced features. They made a mistake when they pulled up that screen. You might want to spoiler that screenshot and your comments about specifics in it, though I don't think there's anything too bad there.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 01, 2012, 03:49:11 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 01, 2012, 03:13:51 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on September 01, 2012, 03:03:47 PM

They showed the interface using a mouse and keyboard in yesterday's livestream. All footage we've seen (before yesterday) from the game has been from the PC version using a controller, AFAIK.

They weren't joking about it. They weren't supposed to show that part of the game yet, probably because it contains mild spoilers (in terms of technology) and because it contains mentions of unannounced features. They made a mistake when they pulled up that screen. You might want to spoiler that screenshot and your comments about specifics in it, though I don't think there's anything too bad there.

I believe blackjack was talking about the joking manner they adopted after showing something they didn't intend to show.  They most certainly were joking about their gaffe.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: September 01, 2012, 03:57:26 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 01, 2012, 03:49:11 PM

I believe blackjack was talking about the joking manner they adopted after showing something they didn't intend to show.  They most certainly were joking about their gaffe.

That they were. I guess I misread it as jokingly showing the situation room and pretending they weren't supposed to.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 01, 2012, 04:06:51 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on September 01, 2012, 01:29:23 PM

Quote from: jztemple2 on August 31, 2012, 06:53:36 PM

Here's the XCOM System requirements:
MINIMUM PC REQUIREMENTS
Minimum CPU Type: 386SX
Minimum RAM Required: 4 MB
Graphics Type: VGA
Graphics Resolution: 640x480
Color Depth: 256 Colors
You're good to go!... What? OH. That's the OLD XCOM.... wait a sec...  retard icon_lol

Damn, you fooled me there for a second slywink. I saw the "386SX" and started thinking what was the Intel equivalent of that. Yup, I had searched for the specs and came up dry as well. Demo please!

Oh, btw, just to clarify, William Powell was not "the thin man" in "The Thin Man" movie. The thin man was a professor who had disappeared. Powell's character Nick Charles was asked to look for him. You would think people would be more up to speed on 78 year old movies (sheesh I feel old sometimes).

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 01, 2012, 08:52:08 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on September 01, 2012, 04:06:51 PM

Oh, btw, just to clarify, William Powell was not "the thin man" in "The Thin Man" movie. The thin man was a professor who had disappeared. Powell's character Nick Charles was asked to look for him. You would think people would be more up to speed on 78 year old movies (sheesh I feel old sometimes).

I was going to point that out, too, but I figured people wouldn't understand it.

Although, people in the 30s clearly had worse memories as it wasn't the dead scientist who was coming back in The Thin Man Goes Home.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: September 01, 2012, 09:29:55 PM »

I took a couple of screenshots of the PC user interface (with mouse and keyboard) from today's livestream. Notice the box around the cursor, which is a clear reference to the old games. smile

Note the icons at the top of the screen, showing the status of civilians on the map (present, escaped, dead). Since this is a terror mission you're supposed to be saving them, which looks like it can be quite hard. Unlike the original you can actively save them instead of merely hoping they'll still be alive at the end of the mission. Each of them has a small radius around them that you will rescue them by entering. When rescued they run off the map and are safe for the rest of the mission.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 02, 2012, 08:02:05 PM »

i guess this game looks kiiiiiinda cool, but i cant help but wish someone like ea would come along and work to modernize and streamline this tired old genre into something a bit more interesting.  maybe a third person shooter or some such, almost like how boring syndicate returned to us just last year...  ninja

in other news... *drooooooool* ... how much longer now???

(as a disclaimer, oddly enough i waaasss even looking forward to the shooter - but i am SOOOOOOOOO glad were getting this one sooner rather than later!!!  please live up to my expectations)
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 03, 2012, 12:57:02 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 01, 2012, 03:57:26 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 01, 2012, 03:49:11 PM

That they were. I guess I misread it as jokingly showing the situation room and pretending they weren't supposed  icon_smile
Sort of -- what I mean was they REALLY did NOT want us to see the Situation Room in that level of detail. But Solomon was not angry about it and later started joking about "Cut the feed! Cut the feed!"  icon_smile

It's just the guy leading the demonstration zoomed in there, and Solomon was like "WOAH, we're not showing that just yet," and so he quickly zooms back out of there. You literally only see it zoomed in that closely for maybe one or two frames of the video. It was hard to pull that out as a capture, and I felt it was noteworthy.

But they remained lighthearted about stuff like that. Nobody was really upset, just when you're doing a "live" demo rather than say, taping one and editing out what you didn't mean to share, that's going to happen. If revealing stuff like that was truly earthshakingly bad, I'm sure they would've just taped their own video demonstration and released it in edited form. I think it's far more entertaining, and gives a nicer impression of the devs, to see/hear them bumbling through a live demo and basically, seeming human.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 03, 2012, 01:12:03 PM »

Some hands-on impressions from PAX, by various sites:

Thrifty Nerd
http://thriftynerd.com/2012/08/pax-prime-2012-x-com-enemy-unknown-hands-on/
The last to disembark from the aircraft was clearly a human with psionic abilities, which was described to us as being “beyond human.” As he stepped out of the Skyranger, the audience was told that it was only fitting that the man who created Civilization would be the man who would save it. Yes, Sid Meier was strutting out ready to unleash his mental powers on the alien invaders. [previously revealed, but still fun to read about-bj]

Though we have seen various gameplay videos in the lead up to release, seeing gameplay and experiencing gameplay are two completely different things, and the player can’t help but draw comparisons to the original. At the panel for the game at PAX East, the developers stated that they had removed a lot of the “bullshit” from the game, things to micromanage, situations where the player would lose their squad during their very first turn.

Playing the game, it really appears that they have kept true to their word. Gone are time units – for the most part, players can move or shoot, or move twice. Ammo management is also taken out, you don’t have to make sure that your aircraft are stocked with ammo, you just control each soldier’s individual load.

To say that things were removed from the game would be to do it a great injustice. It would be much more fair to say that it the game was distilled into its core components. By limiting the number of troopers that the player can take on a mission to 4-6,  each soldier becomes that much more important, and encourages more offensive play, as opposed to how many people would play incredibly conservatively with past X-Com titles.
The end says something about only XBox360 version having Achievements, but I'm fairly sure I read all platforms would have achievements. Lord knows I'm wrong much of the time.  saywhat But if someone played PC on PAX or watched the live feed, maybe they can say whether achievements are on PC (I doubt it's a big deal to anybody, I'm just curious).

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 03, 2012, 01:33:14 PM »

Per Tilt's observations, here's the 35 minute video from PAX showing the PC version's interface (uploaded by 2K itself). I think the 1-hour demo from a while back, while a PC version, did not yet have the "finished" PC interface in place, perhaps?

PAX Prime 2012: XCOM: Enemy Unknown PC Interface Reveal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlnBDJkx5_M&sns=em
*They initially joke about using console controllers, and then switch over to demonstrating mouse/keys. So don't freak out at the beginning, if you're a PC-centric dude.  icon_smile

*This might be the "mobile" version of the video as I'm doing most things on iPad these days. Not sure how to decipher YouTube link jargon...

They had confirmed PC specs were finalized. Might be revealed in their live demonstration on, I guess today? (Sept. 3).
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 02:05:45 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: September 03, 2012, 01:39:59 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on September 03, 2012, 01:33:14 PM

Per Tilt's observations, here's the 35 minute video from PAX showing the PC version's interface (uploaded by 2K itself). I think the 1-hour demo from a while back, while a PC version, did not yet have the "finished" PC interface in place, perhaps?

You may be thinking in terms of PC vs console here, when that isn't really what they're talking about. The PC version has two separate interfaces, one for controllers and one for mouse & keyboard. It will set the interface according to what you're using. It's the latter that hasn't been shown before. While earlier videos have shown the "PC interface", it's all been done using controllers. Or at least according to the developers, in any case.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 03, 2012, 03:51:58 PM »

So long as the console version has the same content as the PC version, I'll adapt to the interface. Now, can't we release it just a little early? nod

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 03, 2012, 06:23:10 PM »

LOL jz ive been saying that for months!

who here is decided on what system for the game?  i think i mentioned it before but im torn.  i really want it for the pc as i think itll just feel and play better w/ mouse keyboard (plus i heard there are certain pc features, such as a somewhat iso camera view and hexes - that just wont be on console?  true / false?).  but for some reason live has spoiled me and im tempted to get this on xbox if only to feel "connected" to freinds while playing - i can see this being fun partying up to play (im talking about just popping off random questions, discussing tech tree research and general "BS" etc during play - NOT for multiplayer proper - while im sure ill give it a go that isnt my deciding factor in platform)
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: September 03, 2012, 06:39:49 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on September 03, 2012, 06:23:10 PM

plus i heard there are certain pc features, such as a somewhat iso camera view and hexes - that just wont be on console?  true / false?

Semi-true. There are no hexes in the game, but the PC version, when using mouse and keyboard, will feature a square grid just like the original while the controller setup features free movement. Both have their advantages and disadvantages, but from what I've seen, the game is designed to support each equally.

The PC version also allows you to zoom out a bit further to give you a better overview of the battle, but it doesn't make an enormous amount of difference. From what I could tell when this was demonstrated, the camera angle doesn't really change. It remains quasi-isometric the entire time.

The main advantages the PC will have, as always, is improved graphics and mod support.

I'm definitely getting it for the PC. The Steam preorder should be up this week with a different set of preorder bonuses from the physical game, so I'm looking forward to seeing what we'll get.
Inverarity
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 03, 2012, 08:47:04 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on September 03, 2012, 06:23:10 PM

who here is decided on what system for the game?  i think i mentioned it before but im torn.
I've decided to get both. 360 for my first play through, PC for when I travel and for the eventual Mods. I figure screw it, it's not like I'm going to have other turn-based squad games to spend my money on in the next decade.

But I'm mostly out of my mind for this game, so don't judge me.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 03, 2012, 11:44:05 PM »

I've decided to get both. 360 for my first play through, PC for when I travel and for the eventual Mods. I figure screw it, it's not like I'm going to have other turn-based squad games to spend my money on

way to think outside the box, and this is an option that 1) i had not considered and 2) cant find much fault in... could be time to double dip

and tilt thanks for clarifying - so sounds like itll be quite playable regardless - damnit i was hoping for a smoking gun here
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 04, 2012, 04:20:14 PM »

I hadn't weeded through the 2K forums. 2KGreg is the thin man in the recent streaming live video feeds. He has answered some questions here and there at forums. This link is to his various posts:

2KGreg forum posts
http://forums.2kgames.com/search.php?searchid=4261381
The PS3 plays the same as the Xbox 360 version. The only differences are the console-specific differences like the button icons and what unlocking Trophies looks like.
[fwiw, he later mentioned he believed the PS3 version was playable at the Gamescom show]
[Q: Why would I use 'dashing'?]
Many of you are correct that it's better to move half way, and then move again.

One big reason the dashing option is available is to make it clear how far you can move if you decide to spend both actions moving. If it showed the dashing interface but then didn't let you just click to move that far, it would be confusing from a UI perspective.

It's similar to how in Civilization it's best to move all of your units one tile at a time and never use the "go to" command, but it's still there for the many people who would prefer to save themselves the time of doing it manually.
The fact that soldiers will take the first available shot on Overwatch was definitely a conscious design decision. It allows the active player (be it AI or a multiplayer opponent) to make tactical choices about which order to move units. Perhaps you want that Rookie to run out first to spend the Overwatch so that your heavy can safely get in position. That's the sort of tactical options they wanted present when Overwatch is on the board!
Keep in mind that there's always a reason to capture live aliens: their equipment doesn't explode. As Jake mentioned in the stream, you will be strapped for cash constantly in the higher difficulties and you will need to try to capture as many aliens as possible!
[Q: Greg.. you wouldn't want to give a brief statement on how armor works, would you ? ;P HP bonus? Damage reduction? Both??]
Armor adds HP to a unit. The much more important part is the fact that if a soldier only takes as much damage (or less) than the armor provides, he will not be considered injured at the end of the mission. That second part is almost more important than the first!

Playing
PC
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 04, 2012, 04:31:17 PM »

Supposedly Greg also read out the PC specs during a different livestream. This post is unofficial, but claims to be the specs he read:
http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?131556-PC-Specs-as-mentioned-on-the-live-stream
Minimum Spec

2Ghz Dual Core CPU
2GB RAM
20GB Hard drive space
256MB Graphics Card
Nvidia 8600 GT or greater or Radeon 2600XT or greater.

Recommended

Intel 2.4 GHz or AMD 2.7GHz
4GB RAM
20 GB Hard Drive Space
512MB Graphics Card
Nvidia 9000 Series or higher Radeon HD 3000 series or higher.
And Amazon's product listing is now including a "PC Download" option that's $44.99 vs. $59.96 for the boxed PC, and the two console versions.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 04:33:33 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 04, 2012, 06:27:40 PM »

Got to play the 360 version of this at PAX this weekend.  Pretty fun to play, but it also determined for me that I will get the PC version as I would rather have the accuracy of clicking on spots to move to than using a gamepad.  I kept overshooting where I wanted to go a little bit and having to go back.  Perhaps I would get used to it, but playing it on the PC will be better anyway.  The time I had with it was a lot of fun, though!

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 04, 2012, 10:43:33 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on September 04, 2012, 04:31:17 PM

Supposedly Greg also read out the PC specs during a different livestream. This post is unofficial, but claims to be the specs he read:
http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?131556-PC-Specs-as-mentioned-on-the-live-stream
Minimum Spec

2Ghz Dual Core CPU
2GB RAM
20GB Hard drive space
256MB Graphics Card
Nvidia 8600 GT or greater or Radeon 2600XT or greater.

Recommended

Intel 2.4 GHz or AMD 2.7GHz
4GB RAM
20 GB Hard Drive Space
512MB Graphics Card
Nvidia 9000 Series or higher Radeon HD 3000 series or higher.
And Amazon's product listing is now including a "PC Download" option that's $44.99 vs. $59.96 for the boxed PC, and the two console versions.

Wow, this is quite reasonable. I think I just decided to switch to the PC version.

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 05, 2012, 12:23:24 AM »

i saw this on amazon and was wondering if someone can do some research for me (anyone with some "inside firaxis info" would be nice!)

i REALLY want to pull the trigger on that digital download, but because there are no official specs yet, amazon doesnt list the required specs.  i KNOW my computer will handle it, i just dont want to preorder if its going to require steam / be linked to a steam account (something that amazon lists in the... you guessed it... system requirements!) - any way to look into this and get me an answer lurking gurus and insiders???
Inverarity
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 05, 2012, 02:38:58 AM »

Steamworks is the DRM. This is official, they announced it at PAX. So whichever PC version you get (digital or boxed), you require Steam to run it.

Edit: Blackjack's PC specs are official too, they just haven't been published in written form. They're on the 3rd day of the PAX feed, directly from 2K.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 02:43:41 AM by Inverarity » Logged
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: September 05, 2012, 03:48:55 AM »

Quote from: Doopri on September 05, 2012, 12:23:24 AM

i REALLY want to pull the trigger on that digital download

Why? There's no limited stock on this kind of thing. It will wait. More importantly, you want to make sure you actually get preorder bonuses, and those haven't been announced for the digital version yet.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 05, 2012, 03:54:46 AM »

According to Amazon, the Digital Download version includes this:

Pre-order Bonus Offer
Pre-order XCOM: Enemy Unknown and get the Elite Soldier Pack. The Elite Soldier Pack includes a Classic X-COM Soldier, Soldier Deco Packs, and complete color customization options. This offer will be extended to all pre-orders. Amazon reserves the right to change or terminate this promotion at any time.

Is this what you meant? Or is there some other DD promotion I don't know about?

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 05, 2012, 04:35:11 AM »

i was thinking of preordering only because i wasnt sure if the amazon price was a "teaser" to get preorders rather than just the price of the digital download

and thanks inverarity that was the smoking gun - which is kind of a bummer because thats a nice lil sale and the talk in the thread was sort of causing me to lean toward pc or double dip frown  youre SURE this is confirmed?
Inverarity
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: September 05, 2012, 04:44:26 AM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on September 05, 2012, 03:54:46 AM

There's another pre-order bonus being announced this week. the Elite Solider pack is the first one, and all pre-orders (and first run purchases) get it for free. The one being announced this week is a big unknown at the moment.

Quote from: Doopri on September 05, 2012, 04:35:11 AM

youre SURE this is confirmed?
Yep. Steamworks. I'll track down the link.

Edit: Here it is. 37 minutes, 25 seconds into this feed from PAX: http://www.twitch.tv/2k/b/330605570
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 05:02:38 AM by Inverarity » Logged
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: September 05, 2012, 04:53:34 AM »

Quote from: Inverarity on September 05, 2012, 04:44:26 AM

Quote from: jztemple2 on September 05, 2012, 03:54:46 AM

There's another pre-order bonus being announced this week. the Elite Solider pack is the first one, and all pre-orders (and first run purchases) get it for free. The one being announced this week is a big unknown at the moment.

Actually, from what they said at the livestream, the Elite Soldier Pack is reserved for those who purchase the physical box. The digital version will not have this pack, but will feature something different.
Inverarity
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 05, 2012, 05:05:04 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 05, 2012, 04:53:34 AM

Actually, from what they said at the livestream, the Elite Soldier Pack is reserved for those who purchase the physical box. The digital version will not have this pack, but will feature something different.
No, Amazon's digital version has it as an option right now. What we don't know is if Steam's version will to (though it's a safe bet), what the new pre-order bonus is, whether the new one is exclusive to steam or for all digital versions, and whether the new one will be included in the special edition.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: September 05, 2012, 05:30:17 AM »

Quote from: Inverarity on September 05, 2012, 05:05:04 AM

Quote from: TiLT on September 05, 2012, 04:53:34 AM

No, Amazon's digital version has it as an option right now. What we don't know is if Steam's version will to (though it's a safe bet), what the new pre-order bonus is, whether the new one is exclusive to steam or for all digital versions, and whether the new one will be included in the special edition.

Well, I just know what the developers said. Amazon has been frequently known to jump the gun with incorrect information about their products, so I'm taking their listing of the pre-order bonus for the digital version with a large grain of salt.
Inverarity
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 05, 2012, 05:40:18 AM »

Fair point about Amazon, but here's the official word from 2K just to be clear (all versions get it no matter what, which I wasn't sure of either):

If I purchase on Steam or digitally, will I still get the bonus?
Yes, the bonus will be available for pre-sales and during a very limited period around launch.

That's from the official pre-order thread
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: