http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 08:53:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360/PC/PS3] XCOM: Enemy Unknown - Enemy Within expansion!  (Read 47910 times)
Lee
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #800 on: January 03, 2014, 11:52:23 PM »

I am playing it again since I picked up the expansion on the Steam sale. Really starting to think the random number generator is broken on the Mac version. Missed 2 97% shots in a row today (followed by a 70% shot). Yes possible, but come on. But what is really odd is out of 14 promoted people. 7 are snipers, got 6 in a row. I am so sniper heavy i kind of want them to die off. I know it's possible, etc, just really annoying.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #801 on: January 04, 2014, 12:58:24 AM »

Any tips for getting the second meld containers? I generally miss it. I generally start a mission having 2 groups of 3 dash in separate directions which helps me find the first one, but by then I am fighting and struggling to find the second in decent time.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #802 on: January 04, 2014, 01:12:17 AM »

Quote from: Lee on January 04, 2014, 12:58:24 AM

Any tips for getting the second meld containers? I generally miss it. I generally start a mission having 2 groups of 3 dash in separate directions which helps me find the first one, but by then I am fighting and struggling to find the second in decent time.

For me it's hit and miss, getting that second container. What I try to do is have one fast soldier and send it out as a scout. It's ended up costing me a soldier occasionally crybaby.

I was doing OK on Enemy Within till I got to the mission with the semi-sunk ship...
Spoiler for Hiden:
Holy crap, what an awful mission! I even restarted it after finding the zombies the first time. Still didn't help. I lost my entire squad in the end. And they died badly icon_eek

"The function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable" - John Kenneth Galbraith
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #803 on: January 04, 2014, 05:35:41 PM »

Quote from: Lee on January 03, 2014, 11:52:23 PM

I am playing it again since I picked up the expansion on the Steam sale. Really starting to think the random number generator is broken on the Mac version. Missed 2 97% shots in a row today (followed by a 70% shot). Yes possible, but come on. But what is really odd is out of 14 promoted people. 7 are snipers, got 6 in a row. I am so sniper heavy i kind of want them to die off. I know it's possible, etc, just really annoying.
fwiw, if you go the MEC route, you can cyber-convert any class into a MEC. While the Sniper gets one sort of sniper-y passive as a MEC, the rest of his/her abilities are tossed out in favor of the MEC's own ability tree.

My experience so far is Heavy-MEC gets by far the most HP, followed closely by Sniper-MEC, then Support-MEC, and Assault-MEC seems most fragile. There's a cool MEC ability that will auto-heal a couple HP up to three turns.

And definitely I often get a rash of one class or another in my earlier playthroughs. When I played last year, I seem to recall getting heavy, heavy, heavy. On this most recent one, it's been a pleasant surprise the diversity of classes I've developed by accident. I'm playing on just the 2nd difficulty level and I think that's best for my easily frustrated self.

Playing Iron Man Mode last year just depressed me and kinda squelched my love for the game (I'm not that good  icon_razz). If I ever truly finish the game, I might try IM again though I think first I want to do a playthrough focusing on the genetic modification of troops. While there's nothing to stop you from doing that AND mechs in a runthrough, I just wanted to focus on MECs and regular troops this go around.  icon_smile

I am really admiring the environmental destructibility more now. Especially with the way the MEC kinetic meleee attack blasts cover, and tosses enemies through walls and stuff. I notice more all the "I'm in cover!.... now I'm not!" moments or like when an EXALT tossed a grenade up towards my rooftop MEC and it blew out two stories of walls but not the roof he was on.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 05:40:18 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #804 on: January 04, 2014, 05:42:45 PM »

I'm confused regarding the EXALT missions. They mention how you can jam the EXALT weapons by doing something, but I'm not sure what they mean, and I wasn't able to achieve it during the mission. What is it exactly I'm supposed to do?

"The function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable" - John Kenneth Galbraith
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #805 on: January 04, 2014, 05:55:22 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on January 04, 2014, 05:42:45 PM

I'm confused regarding the EXALT missions. They mention how you can jam the EXALT weapons by doing something, but I'm not sure what they mean, and I wasn't able to achieve it during the mission. What is it exactly I'm supposed to do?
Do you mean the one where there's a little laptop with a little spinning doohickey on it surrounded by a green beam fence of sorts?

Did it look like this below?

I think on that one, the "capture" zone is that area marked by that green beam fence. You can send your covert ops guy over to the larger spinning beacons to hack EXALT and I assume cause some sort of pause in their sending reinforcements. I was confused on that one because the objectives had big numbers on them (usually, like with the Meld, it's a turn-limit) but it didn't seem to have any sort of turn limit. And my covert ops fella couldn't interact with the little laptop within the capture zone.

I just kept my guys around the green "capture" zone and offed the EXALT guys until they stopped arriving, and that completed the mission.

The more common EXALT mission has two spinning beacon things that your covert ops guy (he usually starts on the far side of the map) needs to hack by moving adjacent to each and right clicking.

Hope that helps.  icon_smile Post a screenshot if you're still unsure. If it has the green beam fence capture spot, it's the first one I described above.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 05:59:27 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #806 on: January 04, 2014, 05:57:23 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on January 04, 2014, 05:55:22 PM

Quote from: jztemple2 on January 04, 2014, 05:42:45 PM

Do you mean the one where there's a laptop with a little spinning doohickey on it surrounded by a green beam fence of sorts?

I think on that one, the "capture" zone is that area marked by that green beam fence. You can send your covert ops guy over to the larger spinning beacons to hack EXALT and I assume cause some sort of pause in their sending reinforcements. I was confused on that one because the objectives had big numbers on them (usually, like with the Meld, it's a turn-limit) but it didn't seem to have any sort of turn limit. I just kept my guys around the green "capture" zone and offed the EXALT guys until they stopped arriving.

The more common EXALT mission has two spinning beacon things that your covert ops guy (he usually starts on the far side of the map) needs to hack by moving adjacent to it and right clicking.

Hope that helps.  icon_smile Post a screenshot if you're still unsure. If it has the green beam fence capture spot, it's the first one I described above.

Thanks, it is indeed the one with the green fence. I'll give your suggestions a try.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #807 on: January 06, 2014, 06:57:29 PM »

Does anyone remember if the XCOM base defense mission is part of the initial release?

I'm on that now. Did relatively OK yesterday but had two bizarre game lockups (monitor just went black). And since it seems to randomly pull four of your soldiers to use (along with some vanilla base security guys equipped with assault rifles/grenades), I of course didn't get to bring my couple support guys who have that or my one MEC that has the mass heal spray.

So now near the finale of the base defense my favorite heavy turned MEC is down to exactly 1 HP with no way to heal. He has the "2 HP auto-heal" perk but already used it to its mission limit.  paranoid

It's fun though and a refreshingly different kind of mission imho.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #808 on: January 07, 2014, 03:36:22 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on January 06, 2014, 06:57:29 PM

Does anyone remember if the XCOM base defense mission is part of the initial release?
Hey, self, the base defense IS a new thing, part of Enemy Within.  icon_biggrin

Pretty fun, tense and different, and a chance to control a few grunt, well, mall cops relatively speaking in addition to a random set of your veteran troops.  icon_smile Although I only lost one security grunt, my favorite Mech got whittled down to one HP (no healing available), which made for a few tense moments.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #809 on: January 07, 2014, 07:13:55 AM »

Just got to the base defense mission, that was rough. It doesn't help that I completely screwed up this game. Only have 3 satellites up, so I am broke, half my squad was injured going into the base defense mission, and now I am down to 3 unwounded soldiers. I suck at this game.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #810 on: January 07, 2014, 01:48:56 PM »

Quote from: Lee on January 07, 2014, 07:13:55 AM

Just got to the base defense mission, that was rough. It doesn't help that I completely screwed up this game. Only have 3 satellites up, so I am broke, half my squad was injured going into the base defense mission, and now I am down to 3 unwounded soldiers. I suck at this game.
sorry, sounds like my experience with the original release last year.  icon_smile I save and reload saves often. I don't care if that's unrealistic, it just feels like the only way I learn.  icon_smile

Did you go with MECs, genetic mutations or both?  icon_smile

Have you used the Grey Market to sell alien corpses, equipment etc.? That's the main way I stave off bankruptcy.

Remember you can equip any EXALT weapons you find, sometimes that's a decent money saver.

I am merely mediocre at this, just sharing my experience fwiw  icon_smile
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 01:54:24 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #811 on: January 07, 2014, 07:13:24 PM »

I have 2 Mecs, and 1 person with genetics (the high jump for a sniper is handy). From what I was reading, some of the genetic skills (especially the one that lets you go invisible) are really important later in the game when the brute force of Mec units becomes less so. My plan is to have a base of 3-4 Mecs and then go all genetics.

I have been using the grey market a lot to get extra money, but it's still no where near enough. I am really focusing on getting more satellites up now, but now I am getting behind on research. I don't remember having this many issues last year when I played. I think I just really crippled myself with such a slow start on money.

The Exalt weapons I have seen so far have all been the exactly the same as my regular ammo weapons. They get better?

I keep playing with the idea of starting over and getting more satellites up early, but the though of starting out will a 4 man rookie squad again sounds tedious. Going to try and make this game work.
KC

View Profile
« Reply #812 on: January 07, 2014, 08:57:14 PM »

I finished the expansion over the holidays. I don't think that the Exalt missions added much. I did prefer the genetics upgrades over the Mec upgrades though. Too bad you can't add the genetic upgrades after you unlock the psi abilities though.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #813 on: January 07, 2014, 09:02:02 PM »

Quote from: KC on January 07, 2014, 08:57:14 PM

I finished the expansion over the holidays. I don't think that the Exalt missions added much. I did prefer the genetics upgrades over the Mec upgrades though. Too bad you can't add the genetic upgrades after you unlock the psi abilities though.

You can't apply genetics after you find PSI??? So meld becomes pointless?
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #814 on: January 08, 2014, 02:31:03 AM »

Quote from: Lee on January 07, 2014, 07:13:24 PM

I have 2 Mecs, and 1 person with genetics (the high jump for a sniper is handy). From what I was reading, some of the genetic skills (especially the one that lets you go invisible) are really important later in the game when the brute force of Mec units becomes less so. My plan is to have a base of 3-4 Mecs and then go all genetics.

I have been using the grey market a lot to get extra money, but it's still no where near enough. I am really focusing on getting more satellites up now, but now I am getting behind on research. I don't remember having this many issues last year when I played. I think I just really crippled myself with such a slow start on money.

The Exalt weapons I have seen so far have all been the exactly the same as my regular ammo weapons. They get better?

I keep playing with the idea of starting over and getting more satellites up early, but the though of starting out will a 4 man rookie squad again sounds tedious. Going to try and make this game work.
I just meant if you're shy on money to spend on weapons (Exalts eventually equip lasers etc.), then to some extent you can equip Exalt stuff instead, in a pinch.  icon_smile

I finally built a satellite nexus (like 4 uplinks in one), and hoping to get ahead of the curve on the satellite stuff.

Since I've gone heavy on upgraded MECs (haven't done third tier yet), and skipped genetics, it'll be interesting to see how the late game goes.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #815 on: January 11, 2014, 03:00:26 PM »

Think I still have a ways to reach the end game. Here's some pix of my higher end troops. Again, haven't done the gene stuff in favor of using the meld for MEC upgrades.

My lone Colonel support guy.

Star of Defense Buff (I rename my models to something I can understand at a glance  icon_smile) is a Medal that buffs the defense rating of everyone in the troop's squad.
==================

MEC, this one for whatever reason tends to get damaged a lot and is out of commission more than my others. He is up to Major since this pic.

*Collateral Damage blows much of your ranged weapon (minigun, railgun) dmg for a rapid fire sequence that obliterates environmental cover in a given area. You don't actually target an alien with and don't need line of site. If you know an alien's on the far side of something and you can't target it directly, it can be an option but you can also get yourself in trouble using it.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 03:04:52 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #816 on: January 13, 2014, 02:50:26 AM »

I really do suck at this game disgust. I think mostly it's the budget; I suck at budgets too. I never seem to be able to get to MECS. So I'm starting EW again, this time on Easy.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #817 on: January 16, 2014, 04:33:53 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on January 13, 2014, 02:50:26 AM

I really do suck at this game disgust. I think mostly it's the budget; I suck at budgets too. I never seem to be able to get to MECS. So I'm starting EW again, this time on Easy.
MECs require a lot more patience in piling up the Meld because, at least most of the time, you only get about 20 meld (two cases of 10 apiece) on a mission that has them. Eventually you need massive amounts to reach the 2nd and 3rd tiers of the MEC upgrades. At least that's my experience on the 2nd difficulty level (the one just above Easy labeled as "challenging but fair").

So if that (totally understandably) doesn't sound appealing, you might be better off focusing on the generally more affordable genetic upgrades instead. And as pointed out by others, the MECs aren't eligible for learning psionics stuff or genetic upgrades. I enjoy them but wouldn't call the MECs necessary per se. Some official forum folks think they're terrible - I don't agree, but I wouldn't put all my chips on them, so to speak.  icon_smile

I think I'm nearing the end game (built the Gollop chamber, and finally got a couple regular troops to pass muster to become Psionic Capable), but I doubt I'll be able to upgrade more than one MEC to the third tier. If I have to use psionic regular troops for the end stuff anyway I might use up my last bunch of meld (65 at this point, not getting much in the way of Meld missions now), I figure I might as well do some genetic upgrades now.

In my experience (I flailed generally poorly at the initial release version of the game), the magic financing formula is we've got to find a way asap to get as many uplinks (for satellite capacity) and satellites built and put in the air. That's what determines the once monthly motherload of credits. Once you can build the Satellite Nexus (which gives one large lump of satellite capacity), it eases things a bit. But I still fell into the trap of seeing satellites as a "panic response tool" and that cost me the U.S. yesterday.  tear

If you do what I used to do and wait on the satellites until you see a country or countries panic (full, red meters), it's generally already too late -- unless you have a crazy large number of engineers that can build satellites at light speed  icon_smile -- cause it takes too long to get the satellites built to fix that. Once you have, say, 8, 9, 10 satellites up, you get a tremendous monthly funding boost regardless of the Council's grade for you. I got a deserved 'C' last night but still received nearly 500cr.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 04:37:19 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Glycerine

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #818 on: January 17, 2014, 04:18:24 PM »

Hope to finish up my Normal play through this weekend.  Full satellite coverage, all research completed (no Edison achievement, it's bugged in EW) ready to do the final mission.  Those first few months are downright brutal, but after I got everything up and going it became almost too easy.  For this game I focused on getting laser weapons and satellites before anything else.  I also did not even capture a live alien until I had plasma weapons and titan armor.  It seemed to work okay, only lost one country and it was Nigeria.  Next time I may try it on Classic, but no way am I even messing with Ironman mode.  I play games to have fun, and to me that would be a exercise in frustration.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #819 on: January 17, 2014, 05:43:43 PM »

Quote from: Glycerine on January 17, 2014, 04:18:24 PM

Hope to finish up my Normal play through this weekend.  Full satellite coverage, all research completed (no Edison achievement, it's bugged in EW) ready to do the final mission.  Those first few months are downright brutal, but after I got everything up and going it became almost too easy.  For this game I focused on getting laser weapons and satellites before anything else.  I also did not even capture a live alien until I had plasma weapons and titan armor.  It seemed to work okay, only lost one country and it was Nigeria.  Next time I may try it on Classic, but no way am I even messing with Ironman mode.  I play games to have fun, and to me that would be a exercise in frustration.
Sounds cool.  icon_smile I still have a few things left to research though nothing I consider urgent (the flying Arch Angel armor, the inviso Ghost Armor, etc.).

This was news to me but you can eventually upgrade the Arch Throwers to provide "ranged healing." Also, apparently if you stun an EXALT soldier, he will commit suicide rather than be captured -- the first time you do that, you get an achievement for it. Just a little Dark Side for my tastes.  paranoid icon_smile

Now that I feel more competent at the game, I could maybe see trying Iron Man again but probably not on the tougher two difficulty levels. I get attached to my troops and I think to succeed at Iron Man you simply can't do that. It'll tear you up.  icon_smile

The 3rd tier MEC's proximity mine ability has been sporadically useful. The ability to do 8-9 hp damage to everything in its explosive radius is great, but sometimes the aliens don't cooperate and simply skirt around the edge of the "pie" radius.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #820 on: January 17, 2014, 11:34:03 PM »

Quote from: Glycerine on January 17, 2014, 04:18:24 PM

I also did not even capture a live alien until I had plasma weapons and titan armor.
Wow, I would never have thought of even trying that. I have always gone through alien research before plasma. Maybe I'm playing the game wrong? I do know I'm always out of money right after I get my budget; I must be spending too much on facilities early on.

Glycerine

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #821 on: January 18, 2014, 12:51:04 AM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on May 28, 1974, 07:09:24 PM

Wow, I would never have thought of even trying that. I have always gone through alien research before plasma. Maybe I'm playing the game wrong? I do know I'm always out of money right after I get my budget; I must be spending too much on facilities early on.

I had similar troubles in my last game, so this time I did some reading and went in with a plan.  This last game I took Europe as my starting location mainly for the workshop bonus.  Right off the bat I tunneled down to the second level, built a workshop and satellite facility, started clearing out the first level.  I planned ahead to make sure I had room to build the facilities that have synergy right next to each other:  workshop on one side with opening for a MEC lab later, satellite on the other with room to build more all around it.  Power is pretty much a requirement  next, so I built one up in the far corner.  If you get lucky and have a steam vent close you may be able to build that first.  I also left spots open around it so I could build more and get the same bonuses.  Research wise I think I went alien materials first, then the early weapons one next that I can't quite place, seemed like beam weapons was pretty close after that.  Took engineer bonus for abduction missions so I could ramp up the workshop.  Also started building satellites themselves as soon as I could since they take forever, even if I didn't have the ability to launch them yet.  Plus did what others have already mentioned, like waiting to launch sats after the initial first few until a country had high panic.  It was like balancing spinning plates for the first couple months, trying to do whatever I could to keep a country from going in to full panic with many others so teetering close.  I noticed it helps to so the miscellaneous requests when they come up, as they reduce panic I think.  Most important thing of all is base design, at least in my opinion.  If you keep in mind what facilities get bonuses from each other it really adds up.  I'm at the end of the game and I don't think I've used half of my space yet, last game I remember almost running out.

My A-team squad now is all colonels; Support, Assault, Sniper, Heavy, and two MEC troopers with different abilities.  Every one but the MECs gene modded with something that would complement their role.  Slow and seady seems to work best for me.  I try to only move enough to keep most on Overwatch, except a couple to scout.  I've also tried to keep them together, only splitting up into a minimum of three man teams and never get too far away.  Bad things always happens when I split everyone up, someone gets killed and I have to reload.  I don't let team members did if I can help it.  I guess I think of it as a learning experience that's telling me I need to try a different tactic.  They still get injured, a lot in fact, so I made sure I grabbed the healing bonus from OCS as soon as I could. Oh, and explosives.  I use lots and lots of explosives; grenades and rockets galore.  If I can blow their asses up, you bet I will.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #822 on: January 19, 2014, 03:39:13 PM »

Completed the campaign on normal yesterday. Not sure of my exact playtime - Steam indicated I put in 23 hours or so on it last couple weeks and maybe that's padded a bit with savegame reloads.  icon_smile

If you want to access the Gollop chamber, just be sure to equip one Psi capable trooper with this:

*I thought you needed at least one "fully developed" psi trooper to use the chamber, but you just need to make the psi armor and equip one trooper w/ it.

The finale mission? I found it...
Spoiler for Hiden:
underwhelming as a challenge, even if the finale cinematics are pretty awesome imho. The only area I found challenging a tad was the one with the two Mektoids.

I didn't expect that last group to drop like a deck of cards after I took out the main alien.
I sent these guys/gals on the finale mission. Weregamer had fully developed psi abilities including the cool aura one that reflects damage for a turn. Chaz just had the mind fray. I never developed the genetic mutation stuff at all this go around.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #823 on: January 19, 2014, 03:46:44 PM »

I was a wee bummed that by the time I got a couple MECs to the Tier 3 upgrades, and the Arch Angel (jetpack) armor developed, it was just about time to wrap things up. Maybe next playthrough I'll try to get them developed quicker.  icon_smile

For the last mission I had one MEC upgraded to Electro Pulse:

My best opportunity to use it and natch, I guessed wrong on the radius - only impacted one of these two Mektoids  icon_razz

The Arch Angel armor I found more fun to watch in the intro scenes for it, than in the actual battle scenes  icon_cool

There's a fuel limit mechanism that I didn't quite grasp in my limited usage of it. I think that's to keep you from zipping the length of a map willy-nilly. It was fun to use in terms of jumping gaps or quickly getting a flanking advantage, though I could see easily getting into trouble using it too.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 03:48:54 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #824 on: January 22, 2014, 05:37:41 PM »

A pal at another forum inspired me to try to play the pre-Enemy Within version of XCOM Enemy Unknown, at a tougher difficulty (Classic). While I'm not playing Iron Man, I'm trying very much to resist constant reloads and to just accept sometimes I'm gonna lose somebody. And when you DO lose somebody, it really forces you into interesting survival tactics on a mission.

It's just, man, every trooper seems to panic on every mission now. Most of the time they'll just react by firing wildly (at aliens or at each other). Though I did finally have one panicked trooper nail an alien on his wild panic shot.

I went with Brazil as my home base location. The main bonus is you get instant alien autopsies and interrogations of live aliens - just click a button and BOOM, it's done. Doesn't save money per se, but the time saving can be invaluable.

Money's definitely an issue early on; even the Council's first report doesn't give an astronomical amount of money (got about 255).

Got an interesting base layout (the ant hill view where you build facilities etc.) this time around. It has several "steam" spots (where power generators get a big bonus), but I'll need to sort of line them up vertically. My previous game had more facilities built side by side (for adjaceny bonuses); I think on this one I'll need to think more in terms of columns (top to deeper bottom) to get the adjacency bonuses.

I can't help wishing they'd made it so you could continually upgrade conventional weapons and use them through the end game. Even with Reaper Rounds and the various pistol upgrades, that doesn't really sound viable vs. upgrading through Laser and then to Plasma. Maybe they can pull that off in DLC some day  icon_smile

The one convenience thing I miss from the Enemy Within version is the squad set up screen button that auto-unequips all troops not chosen for the mission so everything becomes available. I didn't know how useful that feature was until I didn't have it available -- which means you have to manually comb through the troops in the barracks to take off equipment/weapons and make them available. If I have a UI beef, it's that they didn't give you the option to maybe unequip specific things (all weapons, all armor, all grenades, all medkits etc.) from your troops in barracks to make those available, rather than "unequip everything" as EW does.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 05:48:17 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Inverarity
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #825 on: January 25, 2014, 07:05:42 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on January 22, 2014, 05:37:41 PM

I went with Brazil as my home base location. The main bonus is you get instant alien autopsies and interrogations of live aliens - just click a button and BOOM, it's done. Doesn't save money per se, but the time saving can be invaluable.
I don't like to choose South America because that bonus doesn't do anything at the outset. Instead, I prefer to take one that does (Africa's additional funding comes to mind, or North America's lower air costs (plus big $$ from the US)). Then, since I'm focused on getting satellites built and in the air as quickly as possible, I just make sure to get them covering South America, and I end up with the instant interrogation bonus anyway, which comes right about the time I start to need it (2-3 months in).

YMMV, but that's been my most successful strategy.
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #826 on: January 25, 2014, 08:19:56 PM »

I havnt bought the expansion.  This game and "the last of us" are my two favorites from last year. 

Are they going to port this puppy over to the PS4?  If not, I guess ill just buy the expansion on the ps3 and swap between consoles until I get sick of xcomm and borderlands 2.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #827 on: January 27, 2014, 01:53:19 PM »

Quote from: Morgul on January 25, 2014, 08:19:56 PM

I havnt bought the expansion.  This game and "the last of us" are my two favorites from last year. 

Are they going to port this puppy over to the PS4?  If not, I guess ill just buy the expansion on the ps3 and swap between consoles until I get sick of xcomm and borderlands 2.
My understanding on consoles is you can get Enemy Within as part of an XCOM Commander pack. Enemy Within isn't sold separately as DLC on console:

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/09/02/xcom-enemy-within-too-big-to-be-dlc-on-xbox-360-ps3/
XCOM: Enemy Unknown's expansion, Enemy Within, will be issued as DLC on PC and Mac for $30, but the only way to get it on consoles is through a new Commander's Edition a retail re-release that includes the XCOM: Enemy Unknown game, the Slingshot and Elite Soldier add-ons, plus the Enemy Within expansion.

The reason for issuing the Commander's Edition is because Enemy Within is simply too large a file to patch into the console game as DLC. "For the expansion on the PC, it was fairly straightforward," Garth DeAngelis, senior producer at Firaxis Games, said during a PAX Prime interview. "But when it came to the consoles, it was too big. If we wanted to deliver the same content to the console players, we had to do it this way as a standalone expansion on a disc. We couldn't simply just patch it in."

DeAngelis added that Enemy Within includes so many changes to the base XCOM: Enemy Unknown experience new unit types, upgrades and even skill changes it necessitated an entire re-issue of the game. "These things are tied deeply into Enemy Unknown so we wanted to release [the Commander's Edition] as sort of the ultimate edition, with all the previous DLC on this one disc. It was either deliver it this way or not deliver it at all."
No plans yet announced for further content or for PS4/Xbox One ports.

From interviews, the game has sold well - esp well on Steam - just not really clear what the future holds.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: