http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 10:48:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XBox360 Tomorrow? Help Answer My Questions Tonight!  (Read 2646 times)
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« on: December 27, 2005, 03:32:00 AM »

Ok, I might be getting a 360 tomorrow, but before I pull the trigger I was hoping I might ask you all for a bit of advice.

1. I have a relatively crappy tv in my gaming room, a nicer non-HD WS upstairs, and a nice Dell 2005FPW which I love. If I use the 360 and its compenent cable thingies with my 2005FPW, will I get the "High Definition" resolutions and looks?

2. If I do the above-whats the easiest way to hook up the sound?

3. What games are better buys or better rentals out of the following (and any general thoughts on the games would be great too).

a. Perfect Dark Zero
b. Kameo
c. Condemned
d. NBA 2K6
e. Tiger Woods 2006
f. Madden 2006
g. PGR3 vs. NFS:MW-are either at all like Burnout Revenge? Does either have Gran Turismo style upgrading?

Thanks guys, and any other thoughts are great-I have some Christmas money and some more coming in and a friend has a 360 he doesn't want to bother EBaying-so if anyone can help me decide that would be great smile
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 04:12:48 AM »

Hey Calvin,

On the 20" Dell, it doesn't have component inputs, so you need to get the VGA cable to hook it up to the DSub input.  Then, yes, you will be seeing the image in HD resolution.  Here's a review on teamxbox.com of the VGA cables where they talk about hooking it to the Dell: http://hardware.teamxbox.com/reviews/xbox-360/40/Xbox-360-VGA-HD-AV-Cable/p2/

Sound - easiest way is to hook up to a surround system that has a digital input, since the VGA cables have digital inputs.  Barring that, you could hook the RCA-type red/white cables to an sound card input and run it through your PC, or use a female RCA to 1/8" headphone plug to run into a computer sound system.

Games - haven't played 'em yet, so I can't say.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 04:33:14 AM »

I'll just skip to the games:

Kameo is fun yet very frustrating with the underwater segments.

Condemned seems pretty cool so far, as does Perfect Dark Zero.

PGR3 vs NFS:MW?  Well, I haven't gotten either yet, but I have played the NFS:MW demo (which you can get off of the X-Box Live marketplace) for about 6 hours.  I am going to buy the full version eventually.

Madden 2006:  Again, from the demo this seems to be kind of fun, but the price tag for a sports game is holding me back.

I think a demo for NBA 2K6 is also available off the marketplace, so I'd say try it first.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 04:44:20 AM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
3. What games are better buys or better rentals out of the following (and any general thoughts on the games would be great too).

a. Perfect Dark Zero - I'm very disappointed in this title, and wish I'd rented it. The graphics and character/level design are not what I would consider "next gen." Multiplayer has its own problems, but that is where more of the fun is.
c. Condemned - I'm playing this right now. Very good. Atmospheric and violent.
e. Tiger Woods 2006 -
f. Madden 2006 -         As far as I'm concerned these are just two more EA quick cash-ins. Don't reward their laziness.

Honestly, I'm having the most fun with the Live Arcade games. Ridge Racer 6 is a great game, if you like the series. Since it sold less than 10,000 copies in the US, I'd hold out for the coming price plunge.

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 05:22:04 AM »

Games:

PDZ:  Recommended with reservations.  A bit slower than most FPS's you have to "unlearn" your normal habits to an extent.  A bit of a diamond in the rough there are moments of brilliance here but also a fair amount of mediocrity.  

Kameo:  I have to say I'm disappointed.  Gorgeous to look at but fairly mundane gameplay wise.  The hub levels are so generic and boring that they almost induce sleep but there is still fun to be had here.

Condemned:  Fairly cool.  If there is one main complaint its that the gameplay and environments can get a bit repititious.  If it didn't bother you in FEAR it shouldn't bother you here.  Otherwise, definitely recommended.

PGR vs NFS:MW.  NFS is my favorite game on the 360 by far.  Its incredible.  Really like being right inside an action movie.  Defiintely the closest to Burnout of the the two.  PGR 3 is much closer to a sim than an action title.  Has a lot to recommend it, but it just doesn't suck me in or give me the visceral thrills of Most Wanted.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 05:57:02 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Games:

PDZ:  Recommended with reservations.  A bit slower than most FPS's you have to "unlearn" your normal habits to an extent.  A bit of a diamond in the rough there are moments of brilliance here but also a fair amount of mediocrity.  

Kameo:  I have to say I'm disappointed.  Gorgeous to look at but fairly mundane gameplay wise.  The hub levels are so generic and boring that they almost induce sleep but there is still fun to be had here.

Condemned:  Fairly cool.  If there is one main complaint its that the gameplay and environments can get a bit repititious.  If it didn't bother you in FEAR it shouldn't bother you here.  Otherwise, definitely recommended.

PGR vs NFS:MW.  NFS is my favorite game on the 360 by far.  Its incredible.  Really like being right inside an action movie.  Defiintely the closest to Burnout of the the two.  PGR 3 is much closer to a sim than an action title.  Has a lot to recommend it, but it just doesn't suck me in or give me the visceral thrills of Most Wanted.

Guys, thank you very much for the advice-Jament you basically reassured me of the one big worry I had (the monitor thingy).

Kevin, a few questions-what FPS would you most compare it to? I enjoy most FPS, even slower ones, but I was not a fan of 007: Everything or Nothing for example. Also, in terms of NFS, is there car customization? Like buying stuff ala GT3&4?

Would Kameo be a good rental? I think Condemned is a buy for me tomorrow based on reviews and your reccomendations-I think Madden is as well, and possibly NFS if you continue to pimp it up smile The main one I'm wavering on is PD0 right now.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005, 07:08:28 AM »

Kevin, a few questions-what FPS would you most compare it to? I enjoy most FPS, even slower ones, but I was not a fan of 007: Everything or Nothing for example. Also, in terms of NFS, is there car customization? Like buying stuff ala GT3&4?

Would Kameo be a good rental? I think Condemned is a buy for me tomorrow based on reviews and your reccomendations-I think Madden is as well, and possibly NFS if you continue to pimp it up smile The main one I'm wavering on is PD0 right now.

Everything or Nothing is exactly what I'd compare PDZ to, primarily because it uses a similar cover mechanic- you can take cover behind almost any surface and pop out to take shots.  

I'd also compare it to Deus Ex bizarrely enough.  One of PDZ's strengths is that most levels have quite a number of secret areas, alternate pathways, and methods to get through.  Unfortunately for some this goes hand in hand with the game's checkpoint mechanic which is the sore point for many:  each level only has one checkpoint halfway through.  And the levels are enormous if you take the time to explore them.  The lack of checkpoints means you will play large sections over but most of the time (with a few notable exceptions) I didn't find it frustrating because it was incentive to try out different tactics, approaches, and equipment.  

The other huge postive for PDZ is that it has gobs and gobs of content.  The single player campaign is large by FPS standards and is made even bigger through the difficulty settings which, like Thief and Goldeneye, add additonal objectives as you go up in difficulty.  And there are a cubic buttload of multiplayer options too.  

I'd say go for a rental first- PDZ is quite the love/hate game.  I found it very worthwhile but couldn't escape from the notion that another six months in the cooker probably would have made for a classic.

As for NFS and upgrades- it does have them but not to the detail level of Gran Turismo.  You can upgrade your car's performance and look by buying tons of packages but you aren't going to be going in and tweaking gear ratios or anything.  

Definitely at least rent Kameo.  Its one of the better games but as a platforming whore I couldn't help but feel a bit of "been there, done that."
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2005, 12:40:28 PM »

2005 wll rock. I run the audio into my audigy card on my computer with a couple of bits I got at radio shack (to convert to a 1/8 mini stereo plug and an extension).

I actually love the hub areas of Kameo (except the snowtop village). If you like to look around some, explore, and interact with the environment to find all the little things, but aren't looking for something that's hard, this is a splendid game. If you're looking for a difficult platforming challenge, you won't find it here. It is a game that's fun to experience, IMO. I've played 20 hours or so and am 2/3 - 3/4 through it.

NFS and PGR are both good and both a lot of fun in different ways. However, if you're looking for Burnout in particular, it's coming for 360 in March. My copy is already on reserve. smile

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2005, 02:03:10 PM »

Kameo- Its a fun game but I would say you need to like platformers.  I was bored with it rather quickly and used it for trade bait.  I would say rental

Condenmed-Its different to say the least, but I think I would have enjoyed it more if it was an actual shooter, but I understand why the developer made the game they way they did.  It just didn't hold my attention.  Its was a rental for me.  Also, its about 10 hours of gameplay

PGR3 vs NFS:MW - PGR3 is more of a sim and must here seems to like it, but I like the arcade feel of NFS:MW.  There are some moments in this game that will make your palm SWEAT!   There is nothing like being at wanted level 4 and well into a 10 min chase and you get away.  I highly recommend NFS:MW if you like arcare racer

PDZ: Its a hit or miss.  I finished it, but I was a little disappointed. It really is a slow paced shooter.  The Live portion is the most robust, but it seems most of the Kiddies flock to it as well.  I stick with COD2

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2005, 02:03:14 PM »

I'd actually recommend Condemned as a rental.  Most reviews say it's an okay length, but very linear so no replay value.  Just rent it for a week, should cost $7-$9 depending on which video store you use, and play it through.  A second week's rental would still be much less than paying the $50-$60 for the full game.  Nor is this a game you'd want to keep around to show off to family due to its content.

Still, the AI uses the same core as the FEAR ai, so it's top notch.  I hear the environment is scarier too.  But, the story is only okay.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2005, 04:02:17 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
I'd actually recommend Condemned as a rental.  Most reviews say it's an okay length, but very linear so no replay value.  Just rent it for a week, should cost $7-$9 depending on which video store you use, and play it through.  A second week's rental would still be much less than paying the $50-$60 for the full game.  Nor is this a game you'd want to keep around to show off to family due to its content.

Still, the AI uses the same core as the FEAR ai, so it's top notch.  I hear the environment is scarier too.  But, the story is only okay.

No, buy Condemned.

Next to PGR3 this is the best launch title. The birds/metal bits/tv's make going through againt o collect them all worth it. PLus the story and action are invigorating and fresh in the FPS genre. THere are no scary aliens with laser beams, monster with rocket launchers for arms, or strange doctors that accidently blow up the world. It takes place in 2005 and is about a cop. That's it.

The rest is for you to figure out.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2005, 04:14:35 PM »

PGR3 You will want to buy, but you can't upgrade the cars. This is more of a game where you buy the cars as they are in real life, and they are very accurate. I have played this game more than any other 360 games.

NFS:MW I played the demo and it has the arcade like feel, and it seemed to be a great deal of fun.

Kameo It will remind you of Mario on the N64 in a way. It doesn't take very long to beat, but it can offer longer play time if you want to beat time limits on each section. I liked it.

CoD2 If you haven't played it on the PC already this is a good rental unless you want to beat it on Veteran level to get the achievement points.

PDZ I just got this. I had some Best Buy GCs to burn so I picked up the Limited Edition. Haven't played it so I can't speak on it.

FIFA06 I would stay away unless you are a real soccer fan, or rent it to check it out first.

I have also played some of the arcade games like Robotron, Hexic, and Geometry Wars which offer some good mindless arcade fun.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2005, 05:41:56 PM »

I'll drop my thoughts on the games I own.

PGR3 - Most played out of my library.  Lots of fun, great graphics.  Pretty good Live play, so long as you're playing with people you know.  For random ranked games, prepare to hear a stream of expletives from anyone who gets bumped in a corner.  People take this shit way too seriously.  It's still a pretty arcadey racer.  There is no upgrading of cars, but the collection of exotics make it fun.  Definitely get this as a tech demo of the system.

NHL2K6 - Does not look like a 360 title.  Still though, it's a solid game of hockey and is a lot of fun.  2nd most played for me next to PGR3.  Get it if you're a fan of hockey, but pass otherwise.

NBA2K6 - PERDY.  Looks really ridiculously awesome.  Plays pretty good, but requires some slider tweaks.  I wish I enjoyed basketball more, as it's a good representation of the game and is amazing to look at, but I seriously fall asleep 2/3s of the way through a game.  Basketball just isn't that fun.

Kameo - Played for about an hour.  Nice graphics, good gameplay... but hasn't grabbed me yet.  Hope to get back to it and finish it.  Also a good tech demo of the system.

Perfect Dark 0 - Played the tutorial.  Reminded me of why I hate console FPS.  Can't control it worth shit.  CANNOT GET RECTICLE OVER TARGET YARRRGGGHHH.  Looked like it'd be fun if you liked that sort of thing though.

Madden 2006 - Fun.  Great over XBL.  Really good looking game.  Lacking in features though, and the UI isn't great.  Better game than the XBox version... probably more like NFL2k series than other Maddens.  Overall pretty fun, but definitely feels incomplete.

NFS:MW - Just got this over the weekend.  Holy crap is it fun.  Even more arcade than PGR3 (almost comically so), but the gameplay is addicting.  Played it for about 3 hours straight last night.  Graphics are top notch, and the cutscenes are a huge guilty pleasure - they made it all the way around the bad -> good wheel.  Can see myself finishing this one.

King Kong - Have it, haven't opened it yet.  Back of the box looks perdy.

Gun, Tony Hawk, CoD2 - In the mail to me.  Looking forward to playing CoD2, even if I do hate the controls.

gellar
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2005, 07:52:38 AM »

UPDATE:

I now have a 360!!! I have a 360, an SVGA cable adapter, Madden06 and Condemned. Tomorrow I will be getting NFS:MW, and renting Kameo and PD:0. I am setting up everything right now but I have one main problem. My svga connector to my monitor works great, but I am currently running the sound through my tv, because I cannot figure out how to jury rig it to run through my Logitech 5.1 surround system. If someone could help me and explain in dumbass terms how to do this it would be much appreciated-or even if headphones are an option. I will post tomorrow with game impressions!!
depward

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2005, 08:07:00 AM »

Can't wait to hear those game impressions!!  I know you've been in a "gaming slump" . . . so I hope this 360 helps ya back into the addiction!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2005, 08:59:38 PM »

Guys just wanted to bump. This is the sound system I have and I cant figure this out:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2177,CONTENTID=9067

Its not that exact model, but similar. ON that page, they also have a link for this:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2177,CONTENTID=10036
but I cant seem to find it in stores and I am not sure it will split the sound or only make the sound go to my consoles and not my PC.

I am probably being obtuse here, because I read the previous replies and just didn't understand what you guys were talking about, so help me out smile

Just wanted to edit to add if anyone knows any connectors like the above that I could easily buy, let me know smile
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2005, 09:25:35 PM »

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2177,CONTENTID=10036
but I cant seem to find it in stores and I am not sure it will split the sound or only make the sound go to my consoles and not my PC.

You are probably going to have suck up a little wait time and order the adapter from Logitech though if anyone would have something similar in store it would probably be Radio Shack or *maybe* CompUSA.

It looks to me like that adapter lets you use your Logitech speakers for your PC or your console but not both.  I make no guarantees that this would work but to do both you would likely have to buy a splitter for each PC connection and split all three signals before they got to the Logitech adapter.  Might give you some deficiencies in sound in the process though.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2005, 09:33:02 PM »

http://www.cablesnmor.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=304

http://www.cablesnmor.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=192

It all depends how sound gets to your speakers exactly what you need but this is the sort of thing you should be looking for.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2005, 10:11:38 PM »

Quote from: "coopasonic"
http://www.cablesnmor.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=304

http://www.cablesnmor.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=192

It all depends how sound gets to your speakers exactly what you need but this is the sort of thing you should be looking for.

Ok Coop if I buy a couple of each of those, how am I going to make this work? The back of my sound card has three plugs-one each for the rear and front speakers and maybe one for the center. the plugs for each individual speaker go straight into the subwoofer thingy, and the plugs that go into the sound card come out of some digital cable type thingy that comes out of the centerpiece joint.

Kevin-i will buy that logitech thing as a last resort type thing since it looks like you can only do one or the other.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2005, 10:49:01 PM »

the plugs that go into the sound card come out of some digital cable type thingy that comes out of the centerpiece joint.

In short don't buy the pieces I linked to... I'm looking around for a simple solution, but technically you are mixing or switching audio from two sources to one output and that's generally what we use a mixer or receiver for.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2005, 10:50:46 PM »

the plugs that go into the sound card come out of some digital cable type thingy that comes out of the centerpiece joint.

In short don't buy the pieces I linked to... I'm looking around for a simple solution, but technically you are mixing or switching audio from two sources to one output and that's generally what we use a mixer or receiver for.

Ok well if you are looking for solutions for me, I will just wait and see what you find smile its a pain, but im running the audio through my tv for now smile thanks for the help guys.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2005, 11:32:18 PM »

What sound card does your PC have? smile The SB Audigy 2 ZS has stereo RCA inputs on the front panel. That seems like a simple solution.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2005, 11:49:24 PM »

the MK1 linked here is an audio switch to choose between two inputs:

http://electronicsusa.com/mk1and2.html

You would need a male-male 3.5mm stereo cable to connect the switch to your PC and a 3.5mm male to RCA Female Y adapter to connect the switch to the xbox 360 RCA cables, then the front speaker 3.5mm male connector form your speakers goes into the output of the switchbox.

Probably cost you ~$30 in the end. I probably have the two pieces other than the swicth in a drawer around here somewhere, unfortunately, they are the cheap parts.

I do not know anything about ElectronicsUSA, so you are ordering form them at your own risk.

-Coop

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2005, 03:46:54 AM »

What sound card does your PC have? smile The SB Audigy 2 ZS has stereo RCA inputs on the front panel. That seems like a simple solution.

Unfortunately mine is a lower rent SBLive Gamer or something like that frown
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2005, 03:47:53 AM »

You would need a male-male 3.5mm stereo cable to connect the switch to your PC and a 3.5mm male to RCA Female Y adapter to connect the switch to the xbox 360 RCA cables, then the front speaker 3.5mm male connector form your speakers goes into the output of the switchbox.

Probably cost you ~$30 in the end. I probably have the two pieces other than the swicth in a drawer around here somewhere, unfortunately, they are the cheap parts.

I do not know anything about ElectronicsUSA, so you are ordering form them at your own risk.

-Coop

Coop, thanks for the help bro-do you think that a Radio SHack or similar store might have this type of thing so I dont have to order online? I guess I could just go in and check-it doesnt seem like BB, Compusa or Circuit City has anything.

Thanks for all your help so far though man.
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2005, 04:40:12 AM »

Quote from: "Sparhawk"
Quote from: "Turtle"

No, buy Condemned.

Next to PGR3 this is the best launch title. The birds/metal bits/tv's make going through againt o collect them all worth it. PLus the story and action are invigorating and fresh in the FPS genre. THere are no scary aliens with laser beams, monster with rocket launchers for arms, or strange doctors that accidently blow up the world. It takes place in 2005 and is about a cop. That's it.

The rest is for you to figure out.

FYI, the Condemned demo is now available for download on Xbox Live.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2005, 09:29:43 PM »

Condemned, I think, is the best 360 game so far.  Unfortunately, it does not have the replay nor length to warrant a purchase at full price.  $60!  No way.  I beat it easily in a rental and will absolutely get it when the price drops below $30.  It is a very scary and unigue game.  Really nothing like it out there anywhere in my opinion.

The one I am most interested in hearing more about is Ridge Racer.  Looks to be a fun pick-me-up kind of game that would be fun when you only have 30 minutes here or there.  And that's me most of the time.

Am looking for people's impressions of it who also have played PGR 3.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2005, 09:44:00 PM »

Quote from: "mikeg"
The one I am most interested in hearing more about is Ridge Racer.  Looks to be a fun pick-me-up kind of game that would be fun when you only have 30 minutes here or there.  And that's me most of the time.

Am looking for people's impressions of it who also have played PGR 3.

i haven't played Ridge Racer yet, but i'm sure it's really not a fair comparison to PGR...they're two extremely different styles of racing.  i think PGR3 is a good game, but it's meant to be more realistic and requires a fair amount of skill to really do well...i've gotten the impression that RR is an arcade-racer through and through, meaning that realism goes out the window.   if you're looking for more of an 'arcade' style game, i'd have a look at NFS:Most Wanted...very fun game and great for playing in short spurts.  i've been playing it on my PC for a few weeks and have had an absolute blast so far.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2005, 09:55:01 PM »

Ridge Racer is a big grind, way more of a grind than PGR3 single player, but without the variety of event types and cars. It does allow for fairly short bits of play. But it makes NFS:MW seem like a simulation in comparison. There are literally a couple hundred events and they get HARD once you finish the 70-80 standard races and the track variety isn't all that great IMO. They are all pretty short.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2006, 04:41:05 AM »

Calvin, does your sound card have a line in port on the back?
If so you can do what I did:

I went to radio shack and got an adapter that has 2 female rca jacks on one side and a male 1/8 stereo mini plug on the other (i.e. a normal small headphone plug). I then got an extension (which you might not need) to runthat into the line in on my sound card, which is already set up wiith the speakers.

This means the PC has to be on to play the Xbox. Note: in my case I had to enable the line in jack on the audigy control panel (the line in port was muted).

-Coop

Coop, thanks for the help bro-do you think that a Radio SHack or similar store might have this type of thing so I dont have to order online? I guess I could just go in and check-it doesnt seem like BB, Compusa or Circuit City has anything.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2006, 08:56:36 AM »

Quote from: "Misguided"

I went to radio shack and got an adapter that has 2 female rca jacks on one side and a male 1/8 stereo mini plug on the other (i.e. a normal small headphone plug). I then got an extension (which you might not need) to runthat into the line in on my sound card, which is already set up wiith the speakers.

This means the PC has to be on to play the Xbox. Note: in my case I had to enable the line in jack on the audigy control panel (the line in port was muted).

-Coop

Hey man, im fairly sure my thingy has line in-its some variation of a Sound Blaster Live Gamer! or something silly like that-I am going to try your suggestion tomorrow, thanks man.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2006, 12:21:36 PM »

Hey man, im fairly sure my thingy has line in-its some variation of a Sound Blaster Live Gamer! or something silly like that-I am going to try your suggestion tomorrow, thanks man.

you do have a line-in...it's the microphone input on the card Cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2006, 06:08:14 PM »

The MS VGA HD cable I bought has exactly what you described already with it.  In fact, in the package is the adapter to plug in the standard red and white audio s-cables so that I could insert the small single stereo male end into a pc sound card.  My creative labs speakers have that line-in input both on the card and on the volume/bass controller that I have laying on my desk.  I plugged the xbox 360 VGA audio adapter into the line-in on the volume controller and it worked.  

Unless I'm not understanding what you wrote Calvin, I think you should be able to use what already came with your VGA cables, plug in the red and white cables into the little adapater piece included in the package, and then plug that into your pc sound card line-in.

Edited to add:  You may need to do like Misguided suggests and get an extension in case the original cables don't reach to the back of your pc.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2006, 10:39:42 PM »

Quote from: "Roguetad"

The MS VGA HD cable I bought has exactly what you described already with it.  In fact, in the package is the adapter to plug in the standard red and white audio s-cables so that I could insert the small single stereo male end into a pc sound card.  My creative labs speakers have that line-in input both on the card and on the volume/bass controller that I have laying on my desk.  I plugged the xbox 360 VGA audio adapter into the line-in on the volume controller and it worked.  

Unless I'm not understanding what you wrote Calvin, I think you should be able to use what already came with your VGA cables, plug in the red and white cables into the little adapater piece included in the package, and then plug that into your pc sound card line-in.

Edited to add:  You may need to do like Misguided suggests and get an extension in case the original cables don't reach to the back of your pc.

Rogue-unless I simply threw it away, I do not remember any such adapter coming with my HDVGA cable thingy. I may have lost it, misplaced it, tossed it, or put it in my 360 box and forgotten, but I dont see it-I will go check my box for it now. What I did do in the meantime was follow Misguided's advice to the letter-and lo and behold, it worked like a charm and I now have no sound problems. I am going to see if I can do it the way Roguetad suggested, but either way you guys have helped out once again and I am very appreciative!!
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2006, 12:55:01 AM »

Glad to hear you were able to get the sound working.  If it works, it works!  I almost threw away the mini-plug adapter thing because it was so small, and because it came in seperate plastic wrapping from the main cables.  I remember thinking that I'd need to go back to the mall and buy an s-cable to pc sound card adapter mini-plug, and was happy when I found it attached in a seperate packet with the rest of the packaging.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2006, 01:09:09 AM »

It seems alot of people were missing the adapters in the VGA package, whether they just didn't pay attention or something screwed up when they were being packaged I don't know.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2006, 02:14:22 AM »

Quote from: "CeeKay"
It seems alot of people were missing the adapters in the VGA package, whether they just didn't pay attention or something screwed up when they were being packaged I don't know.

Ah that would explain something, cause I swear I didn't see anything man.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2006, 05:46:17 AM »

Cool, glad it is working for you.

When I bought my speakers, I didn't envision getting a console or needing digital, so I went with Klipsch over the Logi's. While I love them, the Logi's extra features would come in handy. Still, I'm getting a lot of use out of them with the PC and 360, as well as my PSP, which I run into the little breakout box with the volume/base/etc via a line in jack.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: