http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 12:34:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XBox360 RPGs  (Read 1282 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 07, 2006, 07:40:15 AM »

IGN has an article here discussing the surprisingly large number of RPGs coming to the 360.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2006, 10:43:33 AM »

That is good news, but still a lot of Japanese RPG makers choose PS3 over 360. Or they are going to release for both platform but choose to release their number one franchise on PS3 and the second tier stuff on 360.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 10:58:12 AM »

As long as I get a good amout of western RPG's the JRPG situation doesn't bother me.  There are very few JRPGs that I like.  The list looks very promising for the 360.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2006, 11:15:20 AM »

I think the JRPG is wait-n-see for most of the developers... I mean, MS is still battling uphill in their primary market, but they'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they can't sell it overseas (where MS is likely to have at least an even market share).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 11:59:07 AM »

Quit it man.  I just convinced myself to spend $800 on a PC upgrade over a 360 because I didn't think there were enough RPG's coming out to hold my interest.  

Maybe I'll just have to do both.  smile

shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 06:22:51 PM »

Related topic triggered by the article:  I'm an FPS player (formerly RTS) mostly.   I picked up Oblivion and its the first RPG that I actually enjoy even though I'm struggling figuring out how to create a character that will play the way I like to play.  I do like the combat system it has in place.  I don't care for the combat system in KoToR.  From that article, it described Mass Effect as having an "evolution of Jade Empire systems" for the combat.   What does that mean?  

- shaggy

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 07:28:19 PM »

It means that the combat system in Mass Effect will be crap evolved.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 08:02:41 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"
It means that the combat system in Mass Effect will be crap evolved.

Different strokes for different folks, I loved the combat in Jade Empire.
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 08:38:29 PM »

Editorials aside....anyone got a description of it?

- shaggy

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006, 08:46:36 PM »

Quote from: "shaggydoug"
Editorials aside....anyone got a description of it?

- shaggy

Action RPG crossed with a 3d fighting game.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2006, 11:13:04 PM »

"I don't care for the combat system in KoToR. From that article, it described Mass Effect as having an "evolution of Jade Empire systems" for the combat."
From what I've read, the combat system in Mass Effect is actually a variation on KoTOR's, not Jade Empire's combat system.  You'll control 3 people (1 directly, the other two through orders).  You play from a Resident Evil 4-like behind-the-shoulder view, and the combat is more action-based than KoTOR, i.e. you have to aim and fire rather than just give orders, although stats will still come into play, as in Oblivion.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2006, 12:39:00 AM »

Jade Empire basically had a Street Fighter/Tekken kind of viewpoint when in combat mode.  You chose your target and aligned on him and then executed moves via button presses.  The system was only okay to me, kinda repetative and slow, they really should have taken more from fighting games, but I suppose they had to incorporate stats and abilities and such.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2006, 05:44:42 AM »

would still like bioware to come back and make KOTOR 3.....i am glad that more RPGs are making their way to the 360 .......RPG s for me are the bet type of games for your money

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2006, 05:13:09 PM »

Thanks for the info guys.  

This is creeping up on my buy list (when it comes out of course).   I hope they have a demo of sorts.   That seems unlikely though.

- shaggy

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: