http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 08:37:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XBOX360 - Razor is bringing professional controllers out  (Read 1261 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2011, 09:35:44 AM »

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/06/razer-bringing-onza-professional-controllers-to-360/

Should you find yourself of the opinion that your Xbox 360 controller isn't precise or extreme enough, then please pay particular attention to the following sentence: Razer has announced that its Onza line of Xbox 360 controllers will be available for pre-order beginning January 17. The standard Onza, featuring backlit "Hyperesponse" face buttons, an improved d-pad and two extra programmable shoulder buttons, was actually announced way back in 2010.

Now the company has also revealed the Onza Tournament Edition, which includes all the "standard" features plus analog sticks with adjustable resistance. Both controllers are also wired because, you know, lag is for jerks. The standard Onza will sell for $40, while the Tournament Edition will set back the real professionals $50.

That's a VERY strange looking D-pad on it. I love the original on my Elite so I wouldn't want to switch. Plus I like wireless. Guess I'm not a pro.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 12:02:26 PM »

Only preorders on Jan 17?!  When they first announced this I had thought I'd be able to buy it in time for Black Ops.

Ah well, still looking forward to it.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 01:30:49 PM »

I guess wonderpug is a pro.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 04:36:32 PM »

With the exception of the d-pad, the stock 360 controller is a good controller.  I've never felt the need to have something better...so I'm not a pro.   

On the other hand, my ps3 controller feels like it was designed for the hands and fingers of hobbits.   
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 05:50:23 PM »

They also have this, but I haven't heard how well the improved d-pad works.

I guess I like the 360 controllers and the whole idea of wireless too much to even think about this.

The stick tightening is a nice idea, though.  The current controllers do get wobbly after a lot of use.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 07:23:30 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on January 07, 2011, 09:35:44 AM

That's a VERY strange looking D-pad on it. I love the original on my Elite so I wouldn't want to switch. Plus I like wireless. Guess I'm not a pro.

You're referring here to the whole controller that came with your Elite - correct? If per chance you're referring to your existing controllers D-pad, I suggest you should immediately get a brain scan.  icon_twisted

I loved my Logi wireless controllers for my original XBox. I didn't have any problem with lag with those, so I'm wishing these Razor one's were wireless too. I've already picked up wired Madcatz SFII controllers, so I'm not sure if I"ll spring for these.

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 07, 2011, 05:50:23 PM

They also have this, but I haven't heard how well the improved d-pad works.

I've considered the silver as a replacement for my well worn 3+ year old controller, but from what I understand the only improvemnt is that you can switch the D-pad between 4 and 8 poiint control. That craptastic D-pad probably works much better in 4 point, but that doesn't work  for any fighting game.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 07:28:39 PM by kronovan » Logged
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 11:55:12 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on January 07, 2011, 04:36:32 PM

With the exception of the d-pad, the stock 360 controller is a good controller.  I've never felt the need to have something better...so I'm not a pro.   

I agree that the 360 controller is great aside from the d-pad, but there are a few features in particular that make me really excited about the Onza.  
  • The multi-function buttons will be a godsend, assuming they kept them in despite the outcry from the MLG group.  They're basically extra shoulder buttons that can be programmed to be just about any other standard button.  In CoD I currently have it click the right stick to crouch and B button to melee.  I like being able to crouch without losing my ability to aim, but I lose every quickdraw melee encounter.  With the Onza I can make a shoulder button act as the melee command.  Or take the spotting button in Bad Company.  Cool feature, but the back button is awkward to use--you have to move your thumb off the analog stick.  With the Onza?  Move the command to a shoulder button.
  • Adjustable resistance on the analog sticks.  I can't wait to lighten the resistance on the right stick so I can more easily do fine aiming and more easily keep control with higher in-game sensitivity settings.
  • The d-pad is made up of four individual buttons.  Almost every game that uses the d-pad uses it as if it were four individual buttons anyhow, so with the Onza I can distinctly press an up button and not worry about accidentally triggering right or left.
The improved buttons I don't really crave as much, but they'll be icing on the cake.  They're clicky mechanical switches like arcade buttons rather than the squishy membranes, and supposedly they have a shorter travel distance.

As far as it not being wireless, I can see that being a drawback for some, but it's not a bother to me.  A 15 foot cord is easy to route discretely to my couch, and the inconvenience is offset by my no longer having the low battery light flash at me mid-round.  Queue laughter of people who were there when my CoD character went braindead and motionless standing in a doorway.
Blackhawk
Gaming Trend Reader

?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 12:39:56 AM »

I can't afford another controller right now, but I'll admit it is tempting.  I'm fond of Razer.  I've got a Razer Imperator mouse and one of their mouse surfaces right now, and like it better than any other mouse I've ever owned.  If they bring the same quality to their controllers it will be a great product.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 06:47:16 AM »

Excellent post Pug and you're close to selling me on it - many thanks for the extra info. I'm considering getting Llama PS3 mushroom sticks for my warn out 360 controllers, as that's what my beloved Logi Xbox controllers had. I still only have 3 standard 360 controllers, so your comments might sway me in the direction of getting a Razor for the 4th. The idea of a variable right-stick does some really good. As well, if the Razor can connect to a PC and the extra  buttons are available as DirectX inputs, that would completely seal the deal for me.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 10:32:44 AM »

These still usable on the PC?
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 05:37:50 PM »

Well...since this thread hasn't had a post since last January I'm thinking no one here picked up one of these. slywink I finally got around to picking one up this week, mostly since all 3 of my MS controllers failed after about 3 years for the same reason - rumble temporarily jars the internal battery connection loose. I picked up the $50 pro edition Onza with the adjustable thumb stick tension, and so far I'm liking this far more than I'm disliking it. Here's my list of likes and dislikes.

- Adjustable thumb sticks work very well. You have to make a few adjustments before you notice a difference, but I can sy  it makes a significant difference for racers. Enough of a difference that I'd now attempt to play F1 2011 with a handheld controller, which is something my son and I abandoned last year with F1 2010.

- A d-pad that actually works - its like a cross between a dual-shock and 360 d-pad. I haven't had a chance to try it with a fighter yet, but I can finally d-pad through 360 game menus with precision - yeah! For sure its not quite as good as my Mad Catz fighting pad, but far, far better than the truly craptastic one on MS's controller.

- Remapable, twin buttons above the shoulder buttons are great. I've mostly been setting them to mimick the shoulder buttons, but I love having the option. This is a great feature for CoD play if like me, you aren't thrilled with pushing the r-thumbstick for melee kills. Each side has its own button and it's just a simple button press on the bottom to set them.

- USB cord is solid and lengthy. It has the standard quick disconnect feature to prevent jarring  when someone trips on it.

- Slightly rubberized surface - feels much better than the standard 360 surface.

- Buttons are far more sensitive. That said they take a bit get of getting used to because they're smaller, but definitely an improvement over MS's controller for sensitivity.

- It works with the PC - says so in the instructions. No I haven't tried it yet, but I'm excited to as the sticks seem to have a less pronounced dead zone. I'm going to reinstall GT Legends and GTR 2 to really give it a test.

- No batteries required - yeah! IMO this makes putting up with the chord worth it. More importantly for me, I have peace of mind that the problem that occured on my 360 controllers can never occur with this. slywink

Dislikes - yes there are some:

- Heft. Not a big deal as the difference is slight, but it does  none the less feel lighter than the default controller. And that's not just accounting for the absence of batteries. Still heftier than my Mad Catz fighting pads though, which I've been perfectly happy with.

- The cord. Its nice and thick, but its covered with braiding which can make it a bit difficult to coil up. My Logi G5 gaming mouse has the same type of chord and I've had some problems with the braiding shredding and chord kinking. That said, the Onza's chord is much thicker, so its likely to not be a problem.

- Triggers - Their tension is very good -better than MS's- but they're thinner at the downward ends so they feel a bit sharp. I'm thinking this is more of a personal adjustment thing.

- Back and Start button locations. They're on the back edge directly above the head set connection. They certainly take some adjusting to get used to. I can personally say its possible to get used to them, as I've been using [Back] often to view the graphic changes  for Halo Anniversary. slywink

All in all, so far I'm liking it more than MS's default contoller. smile thumbsup

[Edit] I didn't mention it earlier, but I should of - the force feedback is noisy. Quite a bit more aubible than the default 360 controller. Not a problem for me, but it could be for those who play late at night and have a light sleeper to consider.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 05:46:45 PM by kronovan » Logged
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 05:43:09 PM »

I finally got a chance to try this on my PC and it worked like a charm. Like my default 360 controllers it calibrated perfectly without having to run setup even once. I tried it with Flatout 2 and Dirt 2 and it was very effective. As I expected the dead zone seems a little less pronounced. I've also been using it to play Dirt 3 [360] with all realism maxed out and its been decent. With left-thumbstick tension maxed this controller is far, far better than the 360 default controller for racing games - doubt I could even stay on the road in Dirt 3 without it. Its of course still below the MS Wheel for control, but this at least makes playing a racer on full realism doable with a hand-held. slywink
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 08:23:28 PM »

This controller has horrendous reviews on Amazon.  Sounds like the calibration eventually goes out of wack and the right stick starts to wander without input.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2011, 08:25:32 PM »

Quote from: Greggy_D on November 27, 2011, 08:23:28 PM

This controller has horrendous reviews on Amazon.  Sounds like the calibration eventually goes out of wack and the right stick starts to wander without input.

looks like it;  just ask Hark.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2011, 10:54:12 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 27, 2011, 08:25:32 PM

Quote from: Greggy_D on November 27, 2011, 08:23:28 PM

looks like it;  just ask Hark.

Oh darn, didn't see that post in my search of threads - wish that thread had beem made in the console forum too. I checked a number of online reviews, but didn't come across any mention of it loosing calibration. I have an over counter exchange warranty with Best Buy, so if I can just exchange it for an MS one if need be. I'm wondering if in some of those cases the Thumbsticks were twisted beyond their max or min when adjusting tension. That's a concern I have about it - no marks on the thumbstick to indicate the extremes. I'll have to jump into the SW/HW Hell thread to find out if that might have been the case.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: