http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 02:29:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XBox vs PS2  (Read 3732 times)
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2006, 06:46:09 PM »

My birthday is in less than a month now. The wife is hounding me for a list of things I want. I'm seriously pondering either an xbox or a ps2. Yes, I know the Xbox360 kicks all kinds of ass but it is also $400 

That said, those of you have experience with the two consoles: which is better? Which has the better games?

My gaming tastes for console play:

- Driving/Racing games. I LOVE the Gran Turismo series
- RPG/hack and slash
- Sports titles. Particularly would love to find a good boxing game!

Please advise!
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 06:53:33 PM »

PS2 hands down.

I had the Xbox for 4 years before getting one and it's great. However, the PS2 has a far better selection of all types of games and is still being supported with many blockbuster releases still due out.

MS has abandoned the xbox like Arkon is abandoning pants sizes.
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 06:58:43 PM »

I had both and personally preferred the XBox.  But based upon what you enjoy playing, I'd suggest the PS2.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 07:03:26 PM »

If by RPOG/Hack'n'Slash means you prefer the hack'n'slash type of RPGs, that's pretty much all you get on X-Box. There's a bigger variety of racers and all the usual sports games on xbox as well. The PS2 has the market cornered on turn-based RPGs and all of the niche games. If Gran Turismo is really all that exciting for you, go with the PS2, but know that your other racing option sare gonig to be slimmer. Personally I found Forza and GT4 to be close enough that I'd take either. I think the burnouts and the need for speeds are going to look better on xbox in general if you are into arcade racing. Hard Drive on the xbox means no memory card management.  ninja2

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 07:10:06 PM »

To clarify a couple of things:

- I mentioned my love of the GT series as an example of a racing game I enjoy. The 'realism', the ability to slowly build a garage and upgrade your cars...

- For console play I prefer a hack and slash type of rpg than turn based.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 07:10:39 PM »

i have both and the xbox is much better,better games as well IMO,KOTOR,ninja gaiden,forza,fable

and the hard drive just seals the deal

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 07:26:36 PM »

I think the burnouts and the need for speeds are going to look better on xbox in general if you are into arcade racing.

I've generally found that the Burnout's are near identical between platforms- Criterion is a helluva developer and gets great performance out of PS2.  NFS Underground and Most Wanted are better on Xbox, but NFS Hot Pursuit 2 is actually signficantly better on PS2. 

Re: Hack and slash- I'd give the edge to PS2.  Xbox has Fable, which sort of qualifies, but PS2 has the Champion of Norrath games in addition to the Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance games (the BG games are on Xbox too), all of which are generally well thought of in the genre. 
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 07:50:14 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 12, 2006, 07:26:36 PM

Re: Hack and slash- I'd give the edge to PS2.  Xbox has Fable, which sort of qualifies, but PS2 has the Champion of Norrath games in addition to the Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance games (the BG games are on Xbox too), all of which are generally well thought of in the genre. 

Jade Empire and Sudeki trump Champions of Norrath IMO smile plus you get the KOTORs if you didn't play them on PC.

You're probably right on the cross-platform racers.  I chose the xbox versions almost certainly due to the hard drive, which is huge to me.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 07:52:09 PM »

I haven't played Sudeki, but I wouldn't call Jade Empire (nor the KOTORs) hack and slash. 
KC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 08:04:16 PM »

I have a launch day Xbox and bought a PS2 3 years later.  Based on your preferences, I would recommend a PS2 for the following reasons:

1.  As someone else mentioned, MS has pretty much abandoned the Xbox.
2.  In terms of hack and slash games, God of War is great, and Champions of Norrath and its sequel are PS2 exclusives.  The Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance series (not like the PC games) and Bard's Tale are multi-platform.  The Lego Star Wars games are probably close to hack and slash too.
3.  It's pretty easy to find a slimline PS2, some places even have deals with rebates where you can get it close to $100 (FYE and others).  Its getting harder and harder to find Xboxes.

Granted, I love my Xbox because of the hard drive and the better graphics, but MS really blew it with the whole backwards compatibility issue.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2006, 08:26:50 PM »

Quote from: Crux on September 12, 2006, 06:46:09 PM

My birthday is in less than a month now. The wife is hounding me for a list of things I want. I'm seriously pondering either an xbox or a ps2. Yes, I know the Xbox360 kicks all kinds of ass but it is also $400 

That said, those of you have experience with the two consoles: which is better? Which has the better games?

My gaming tastes for console play:

- Driving/Racing games. I LOVE the Gran Turismo series
- RPG/hack and slash
- Sports titles. Particularly would love to find a good boxing game!

Please advise!

PS2 is the system for you

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2006, 08:43:50 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 12, 2006, 07:52:09 PM

I haven't played Sudeki, but I wouldn't call Jade Empire (nor the KOTORs) hack and slash. 

Absolutely not the KOTORs, I was just including those as an XBOX bonus, which is a dangerous thing since there are hundreds of bonus games on the PS2 of course.

Sudeki is kinda like Jade Empire as kind of a light fighting game in an RPG shell, though the RPG side of the game in Sudeki is more jRPG. I think I'm categorizing "Action RPGs" as all hack and slash. They aren't hack and slash like BG:DA and the like, but I still think they go in the same category.

God of War, Shadow of the Colossus, Guitar Hero and Katamari Damacy all make a strong argument for the PS2 along with all of the other unique titles you just won't get on the xbox. This is particularly true if you played many of the xbox games on PC already.

Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2006, 12:13:16 AM »

I would recommend the Xbox for you based what you like.  While GT is on the PS2, you get Forza, PGR1&2, and RalliSport Challenge 1&2, as well as the Burnout games.  Also, the Xbox controller has triggers, meaning that you have more control over your accelerator.  The DualShock 2 has pressure sensitive buttons, but there isn't any real range of motion.

Action/hack and slash you have a bit more variety on the Xbox.  PS2 has the market cornered as far as the turn-based androgenous man-boy RPG's goes, but it doesn't sound like you are into those.  You have X-Men Legends 1&2, Dark Alliance 1&2, and the others listed.

About the only sports game that matters that the PS2 has that the Xbox doesn't is MLB '06: The Show.  If you don't mind that, then your best bet would be the Xbox.

The Xbox has better graphics.  I also like the controller better.  To me, the DualShock sticks are too close together.  If a game is multiplatform and I can't find the Xbox version, I won't buy it.

The number of PS2 titles are going to calm down next year.  While the PS2 will have a few other games out for it, support for it is going to die just like it did for the Xbox this year.  That means that the Xbox games you want to find will be cheaper most of the time.

Also, the hard drive is much nicer than memory cards.  If you want to drive to music of your own, you can load your CD to the hard drive and then use that for your soundtrack.

Either way you really can't go wrong, but the Xbox triumphs for sports and driving.  When I read that, I thought you should get the Xbox instantly.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2006, 12:42:18 AM »

Action/hack and slash you have a bit more variety on the Xbox.  PS2 has the market cornered as far as the turn-based androgenous man-boy RPG's goes, but it doesn't sound like you are into those.  You have X-Men Legends 1&2, Dark Alliance 1&2, and the others listed.

PS2 has X-Men Legends 1&2 also.  And both platforms will be getting this fall's new hack/slash entries Justice League Heroes and Marvel Ultimate Alliance.  I'm not really sure how you can Xbox has more variety in that arena when the libraries are pretty much identical except for the PS2 exclusive Norrath games which are generally well thought of. 

Excellent point on the triggers for racing games though- that makes a huge difference to me.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2006, 02:03:57 AM »

For racing, hack and slack games, and sports, I'd go with the XBox.  If you like GT, you should like Forza, most hack-and-slash games are on both (PS2 has Champions of Norrath, but XBox has Dungeons & Dragons : Heroes, which while not as good as CoN, isn't half bad), and sports games often take up lots of save space, making the hard drive much more desirable than memory cards.  You may have some trouble with sports games (especially "extreme" sports games such as Tony Hawk, etc) with the XBox due to its unfortunate lack of 4 shouler buttons, but the rest should make up for it.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2006, 03:06:43 AM »

PS2.  There's really no point in getting an original XBox, plus the PS2's library blows the XBox's away in terms of sheer quality.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2006, 04:23:18 AM »

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on September 13, 2006, 03:06:43 AM

PS2.  There's really no point in getting an original XBox, plus the PS2's library blows the XBox's away in terms of sheer quantity.
Fixed that for you.  My Xbox library is about twice as large as my PS2 library.

Besides, with the types of games he likes, he'd be better off with an Xbox.

corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2006, 04:39:12 AM »

I'd have to say the PS2 as well. The post that mentioned Xmen Legends I & II are available on the PS2 as well, it's worth pointing out that both Baldur's gates are also available on the PS2.
Plus Champions of Norrath (online play), Demon Stone, The Bard's Tale.. plenty of hack and slash RPG's on both systems.

The main reason I'd suggest a ps2 over the xbox though is because, as pointed out already, Microsoft has turned it's back on the original xbox.
Sony has promised to continue supporting the ps2 for years to come, plus all the games you buy now will be backwards compatible with the PS3 should you ever decide to get one.

I've had both systems.. and now I'm down to a 360, a PS2, and a PSP. My favorite system of the three would have to be the PS2, because of it's HUGE library of games (not to mention all the PS1 games you can play on it) and the fact that you can play online for free.
Love the xbox 360 too.. but I dont have Live so it's just for eye candy for me.. but when multiplatform releases come out and if they support online play, I definitely go with PS2 as it's free to play it.

Look around a bit, you should be able to get one for $100 or so.. I got my last one at Brandsmart for $99 brand new. The xbox, if you can still find it, still retails for $179.99.. $50 more than the retail price of a PS2, that $50 can get you a couple decent used games at gamestop..

Over all, IMO both systems are great, but since Microsoft stopped supporting the original Xbox, there's no reason why we shoudn't follow in their foot steps.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2006, 06:22:11 AM »

microsoft may of stopped supporting the original xbox because the 360 has been out for nearly a year...in 2 months(although...really it will be march)the ps3 will be out,so the ps2 will go the same way....only two more games for the ps2 that are of any interest really(not included the psp ports of GTA stories)...and thats final fantasy 12 and bully....then the ps2 like the xbox will be yesterdays hardware

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2006, 06:33:09 AM »

Jeez Graham from your biased comments I'd assume that you were trying to start a console war.  Everybody else has been very objective.
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2006, 11:21:48 AM »

Ok. Thank you all for the replies to date. I realized as I am reading that this is kind of like asking people their favorite color. Everyone has their own preference for their own reasons. The Xbox generally has the better graphics, and the hard drive is a major convenience. But it really comes down to the games. It seems each has some exclusives, and truth be told I'll probably end up getting 10-15 games total, just picking out a selective few of my favorites. With that in mind, I'd like to change the focus of the discussion. Could you all help me out by listing your favorite games for each console in the following categories? Then I can check out the games and decide which console has those games I want to play most:

Hack and Slash RPG:
Realistic Driving Sim (think Forza/GT4):
Superhero Game:
Japanese Samurai/Martial Arts:
Mech/Giant Robot:
Too fun not to play:

Thanks for any who reply.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2006, 11:24:52 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on September 13, 2006, 06:33:09 AM

Jeez Graham from your biased comments I'd assume that you were trying to start a console war.  Everybody else has been very objective.

Uh?   
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2006, 05:18:18 PM »

Quote from: ATB on September 13, 2006, 11:24:52 AM

Uh?   

There is nothing biased towards a console in his pointing out a perceived bias by another poster. It's not much of a mystery.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2006, 05:43:48 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 12, 2006, 07:52:09 PM

Jade Empire is, and depending on how you configure the KoTORs, they can be.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2006, 05:49:25 PM »

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on September 13, 2006, 03:06:43 AM

PS2.  There's really no point in getting an original XBox, plus the PS2's library blows the XBox's away in terms of sheer quantity.

Fixed that for ya.  :slywink: Most sports/driving games are cross-platform; PS2 is on the losing end of most quality comparisons (with exception to HotPursuit2 , EA bombed that on purpose IMHO..).

Xbox1 has it's fair share of hack-n-slash, and if there is a PS2 version it's generally worse visually, audibly and performance-wise. Games that load in 3-7 seconds on the 'box could take you 30seconds or more on the PS2.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2006, 07:08:54 PM »

I'd hardly call my posts biased or more biased than anyone else's in here.

I explained my reasons why I would go with the Xbox over the PS2, including reasons for the controller.  Just because it seems like a few more people might say that the PS2 is better when I think that the Xbox would be better suited for Crux, that doesn't mean that I'm more biased than anyone else.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2006, 07:16:49 PM »

Quote from: Graham on September 13, 2006, 07:08:54 PM

Just because it seems like a few more people might say that the PS2 is better when I think that the Xbox would be better suited for Crux, that doesn't mean that I'm more biased than anyone else.

Yes but you told me the same thing almost 4 years ago (right after helping me build my brand new PC- ps. I love you) and your voice was the deciding factor in my getting an XBOX over the PS2.  In retrospect, it was the right decision at the time...meaning I'm pretty much just padding at this point and have nothing to say.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2006, 07:38:36 PM »

Quote from: ATB on September 13, 2006, 07:16:49 PM

Just because it seems like a few more people might say that the PS2 is better when I think that the Xbox would be better suited for Crux, that doesn't mean that I'm more biased than anyone else.

Yes but you told me the same thing almost 4 years ago (right after helping me build my brand new PC- ps. I love you) and your voice was the deciding factor in my getting an XBOX over the PS2.  In retrospect, it was the right decision at the time...meaning I'm pretty much just padding at this point and have nothing to say.

I too would like to begin by pointing out that I have no point to make.  icon_biggrin
* Purge bows as the crowd chants his name

Marik
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2006, 08:21:46 PM »

Quote from: Crux on September 13, 2006, 11:21:48 AM

Ok. Thank you all for the replies to date. I realized as I am reading that this is kind of like asking people their favorite color. Everyone has their own preference for their own reasons. The Xbox generally has the better graphics, and the hard drive is a major convenience. But it really comes down to the games. It seems each has some exclusives, and truth be told I'll probably end up getting 10-15 games total, just picking out a selective few of my favorites. With that in mind, I'd like to change the focus of the discussion. Could you all help me out by listing your favorite games for each console in the following categories? Then I can check out the games and decide which console has those games I want to play most:

Hack and Slash RPG:
Realistic Driving Sim (think Forza/GT4):
Superhero Game:
Japanese Samurai/Martial Arts:
Mech/Giant Robot:
Too fun not to play:

Thanks for any who reply.

First off, I'm a computer gamer who got tired of upgrading and picked up a PS2 on the cheap.  I've never been happier.  I too had to choose between Xbox and PS2 and what swayed me was that most of the really great Xbox games have been ported over to the PC.  If you own a computer, buying an Xbox for KOTOR and Splinter Cell is just silly.  The PS2 has an enormous selection of games that haven't been ported and are very, very different from what you find on a computer.

Hack 'N Slash RPGs:  Really not my thing.  I've heard great things about the Xmen series and Baldur's Gate 1&2.

I hate racing games, so someone else can probably help you out here.  The only racing games I enjoy are the ones where you get to shoot people with rocket launchers if they try to pass you.

Superhero: The Xmen games.  As others have said, they're cross platform, so don't let that sway you to the PS2.  The Dynasty Warriors series is also sometimes called an action game but kinda falls into this category too.  They're very simple yet incredibly fun games where you basically take one of 50 odd chinese legendary heroes and lead your army against someone else's.  The heroes are so heinously overpowered that you tend to tear through an opponent's troops like a hurricane.  The game consists of your hero hurling bodies in every direction as you beeline for the opposing general.  Its one of those games which looks incredibly stupid when you watch someone else play it but no PS2 gamer should be without one of the versions (about 18 exist, all of which are the exact same game.  One is even set in Japan if you feel that killing hordes of ninjas is necessary for stress relief).

Martial Arts: Here I'm gonna take some liberties and point you at God of War.  It isn't Japanese and has jack to do with samurai, but it is probably the best complex action game ever made for the PS2.  It is also probably the best action game I have ever played.  The designers managed to create a nearly perfect system of incredibly tight control and insane acrobatics.  They also have a difficulty curve that is very smooth and gradually pushes you towards the more complex stuff.  This is usually considered to be in the top five games ever made for the PS2.

Mecha: The Armored Core series is usually considered the best for the PS2 in this genre.  This one is a bit hit-or-miss.  Coming from the PC with the awesomeness that was the mechwarrior series, I've never been fond of Armored Core.  I find the control system incredibly frustrating.  My general rule is that what is easy in real life ought to be easy with a control scheme.  The act of tilting one's head back should not require split second timing, a special button and masterful coordination.  That said, some people love these games (Roundabouts 7 versions exist if you are interested).

Too Fun Not to Play:  Now *this* is what got me about the PS2.  I picked it up because I thought I wanted to play a bunch of JRPGs.  I stuck with that for a bit, but then I kept getting pushed towards other games by people.  I picked up a Ratchet and Clank game (simple action/platformer) based on recommendations and loved it.  I picked up Beyond Good and Evil (puzzle/light action) and was amazed at how much fun it was.  Same for Silent Hill 2 (survival horror/psych thriller) and Metal Gear Solid 2-3 (the games Splinter Cell ripped off, albeit very well).  The PS2 has been around for so long that it has an enormous library and while much of that is complete crap, there are games in almost every genre that are far and away some of the best ever developed.  You can stroll down to your local Gamestop or whatever and pick up three mind-blowingly great games that will last you weeks for twenty bucks.

Lastly, if you aren't familiar with the site www.gamerankings.com you should check it out.  It is to console systems (and the PC, for that matter) what ( icon_frown) the Gold Guide was back in the day.  Its a great help for finding reviews for the various game names people throw out at you.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2006, 01:05:35 AM »

I am trying to list exclusives on both consoles:

Hack and Slash RPG: About even on both, Norath games (PS2), Fable, Jade Empire, D&D: Heroes (Xbox)  -- These might not be pure hack-'n-slash, but they are more H&S than pure RPG
Realistic Driving Sim (think Forza/GT4): GT4, Enthusia(PS2), Forza, Rallisport Challenge 1&2, PGR 1&2 (Xbox)
Superhero Game: Can't think of anything exclusive either way
Japanese Samurai/Martial Arts: Shinobi, Nightshade, Tenchu (PS2), Ninja Gaiden (Black), Jade Empire (Xbox), I'll put in Otogi 1&2, because they aren't samurai/marital arts, they are very stylized towards that
Mech/Giant Robot: Armored Core (PS2), MechAssault, Steel Battalion (Xbox)
Too fun not to play: God of War, Guitar Hero, Devil May Cry 1&3, Shadow of the Colossus (PS2), Halo 1&2, Crimson Skies, KOTOR 1, Jet Set Radio Future, Panzer Dragoon Orta (Xbox)

No matter which console you get, I'd recommend these titles:

Psychonauts, Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, the LotR games, LEGO Star Wars, Prince of Persia, Mercenaries, X-Men Legends 1&2, Beyond Good and Evil, Metal Arms: Glitch in the System, Robotech: Battlecry, Burnout: Takedown, 2, and 3, Tony Hawk, Spider-Man 1&2, Ultimate Spider-Man, SSX series...

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2006, 01:26:31 AM »

Quote from: Graham on September 14, 2006, 01:05:35 AM

I am trying to list exclusives on both consoles:

Realistic Driving Sim (think Forza/GT4): GT4, Enthusia(PS2), Forza, Rallisport Challenge 1&2, PGR 1&2 (Xbox)

Also, World Rally Championship (WRC)- three games for the PS2

Japanese Samurai/Martial Arts: Shinobi, Nightshade, Tenchu (PS2), Ninja Gaiden (Black), Jade Empire (Xbox), I'll put in Otogi 1&2, because they aren't samurai/marital arts, they are very stylized towards that

Also Way of the Samurai 1 &2, Mark or Kri, Rise of the Kasai, Onimusha 1-4 - all for PS2 except for the first Onimusha which is also on Xbox. 

Mech/Giant Robot: Armored Core (PS2), MechAssault, Steel Battalion (Xbox)

Also Zone of the Enders (meh) and ZoE: 2nd Runner (Awesome) both for PS2.  And Front Mission 4- Giant Mech Strat RPG. 

And FWIW, I would definitely put Jade Empire way closer on the "Pure RPG" spectrum than hack and slash.  The sheer amount of dialogue in that game would probably kill it for someone who just wanted to wade through hordes of enemies. 
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2006, 06:50:31 AM »

With the type of games that were listed you would be fine with either system.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2006, 11:49:20 AM »

There's also S.L.A.I. on the PS2 (mech-style game) has online play as well.. not as good as Armored Core Last Raven though. (Which also has online play, along with offline bots to practice with.)

My favorite hack and slash (although I haven't gotten around to all of them of course) is the bard's tale. It's on xbox and ps2.

Also to the post that said Sony would turn its back on the PS2 as soon as the PS3 came out (cant seem to find it in the reply window) that would be true, except Sony has already promised to support the PS2 for several more years after the PS3 launches.
They took a few jabs at Microsoft on that very point of how MS turned it's back on the previous generation and that they woudn't be doing that as it's not fair to the consumers.

Rise of the Kasai that was brought up(PS2).. decent hack and slash type of game.. you get a computer-controlled partner who accompanies you and helps you out in combat. Real nice.

You should take into consideration online play as well.. if you are going to go online, remember you have to pay to play for the xbox, while the ps2 is free.

If you're dead set on a system that's no longer supported (xbox), then I'd suggest getting one now, sure they're $179.99, but if you look around, most stores are out of them.
The ONLY retail store in my area that has any is Walmart, which last time I checked, had 2 left.
The next best bet (for a new one) is Ebay, but you won't be getting any kind of good deal there.
Last resort.. a used one, at gamestop. ($110) Try to get an 05 (or 04) if you can find one, since a lot of the bugs and problems in the earlier versions where ironed out by then.

And for Xbox exclusives - there's nothing like KOTOR (Knights of the old republic) not quite hack and slash like you want, but damn you can be drawn into the story and characters!
To this day my favorite xbox/360 game is Counter-Strike, it was the first counter-strike to offer the official cs bot, so even without live (which I dont have - dont agree with the pay to play model) you can still enjoy the multiplayer maps/modes offline, just with computer-controlled teammates and opponents.

Again though, as much as I like a couple of the xbox games, I'd still suggest a PS2 as I think you'll get a long more bang for your buck, and should you upgrade to a PS3 some day down the road, all your games will still be compatible on it.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2006, 01:12:10 PM »

I'd hardly call my posts biased or more biased than anyone else's in here.

I explained my reasons why I would go with the Xbox over the PS2, including reasons for the controller.  Just because it seems like a few more people might say that the PS2 is better when I think that the Xbox would be better suited for Crux, that doesn't mean that I'm more biased than anyone else.

It's just that you are making some more personal opinions rather than answering the original posters question about what system he should choose depending on the type of games he likes.  I'm sure it's not intentional but if it was completely objective then I would have nothing to bite which is what I'm doing now:

The Xbox certainly does not have the market cornered for quality as you imply by suggesting that the PS2 wins for quantity.  The fact is that the PS2 has the most quantity of games and the most quality games.

You suggest that the Xbox has the best controller.  That causes me to reflex with the fact that the PS2 has by far and away the best controller.  Far better than that ginormous thing the Xbox calls a controller.

You also made a ridiculous statement about how support for the PS2 is going to die off just like the Xbox.  Of course it will-in 3 freakin years, unlike Xbox's instantaneous death right after the release of the 360.  Support for the Playstation went on forever after the PS2 came out.

Anyways those are my reactions to your statements-reactions I probably wouldnt be having if I felt your statements were completely objective like "ok you like racing and sports, you should get an Xbox.'

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2006, 02:42:28 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on September 14, 2006, 11:49:20 AM

Also to the post that said Sony would turn its back on the PS2 as soon as the PS3 came out (cant seem to find it in the reply window) that would be true, except Sony has already promised to support the PS2 for several more years after the PS3 launches.
They took a few jabs at Microsoft on that very point of how MS turned it's back on the previous generation and that they woudn't be doing that as it's not fair to the consumers.
They said that while the PS2 was their only console to tend to. We'll see what happens when they desperately need the PS3 to succeed on how much effort gets put into PS2. MS allso stated they would be supporting the XBOX for the next two years; they just weren't having any more first party games for it. 3rd party games are still being developed for it.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2006, 02:53:18 PM »

Quote from: Purge on September 14, 2006, 02:42:28 PM

They said that while the PS2 was their only console to tend to. We'll see what happens when they desperately need the PS3 to succeed on how much effort gets put into PS2. MS allso stated they would be supporting the XBOX for the next two years; they just weren't having any more first party games for it. 3rd party games are still being developed for it.

I think the difference here is that Sony is actually making money on PS2 hardware sales- to this day MS still loses money on every Xbox 1 sold and that won't change because of the nature of their agreements they made with the different component manufacturers.  That's why, in addition to stopping devleopment of first party games (and presumably not promoting third party exclusives for the platform), they stopped actual Xbox console manufacturing last year too.  It is completely in MS's best interests to try and shift every available consumer to the 360 which was designed to ultimately turn a profit on each game console sold.

So for Sony, PS2 hardware and software sales are a nice continuing base and for all the stupidity of their recent moves, I don't think they are too stupid to see that a $129.99 hardware component isn't going to signfiicantly cannibalize the sales of a $600 hardware component.  People who are just now getting around to buying a PS2 are not the early adopters willing to shell out for the PS3. 
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2006, 03:07:55 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on September 14, 2006, 01:12:10 PM

The Xbox certainly does not have the market cornered for quality as you imply by suggesting that the PS2 wins for quantity.  The fact is that the PS2 has the most quantity of games and the most quality games.
[...]
You suggest that the Xbox has the best controller.  That causes me to reflex with the fact that the PS2 has by far and away the best controller.  Far better than that ginormous thing the Xbox calls a controller.

You also made a ridiculous statement about how support for the PS2 is going to die off just like the Xbox.  Of course it will-in 3 freakin years, unlike Xbox's instantaneous death right after the release of the 360.  Support for the Playstation went on forever after the PS2 came out.

Actually, head-to-head game comparisons almost always rule in favor of the xbox. This is quality measurement. The only game I can think of that was better on PS2 was HotPursuit2, and that was because EA had a different company farmed out for the Xbox version. So no, your generalized statement is questionable. PS2 has more games. There is likely more "quality games" based on exclusives, and the "MORE" only comes in the genres where the xbox failed to gain developer support. In most genres Xbox1 had a quality game to match the PS2 in every way, and in cross platform games they surpassed them almost.every.time.

the S-Controller was lauded as the best controller at the time. Having analog triggers and two well-placed analog joysticks, it was my personal favorite. The 360's is better still. The PS2's controller was barely a change from the prev. 10 years of gaming. Also, the large controller for the box was surprisingly comfortable, and I didn't mind it at all. Remember, the Xbox was MS's first kick at the console system and there were learning curves.

The only reason the PS2 market will die slower has nothing to do with Backwards Compatibility. BC gaming isn't going to matter as much to people. When GoW2 comes out on PS3 and they have a PS2 port, you mean to tell me that you'd get the PS2 version?

The only reason the PS2 is going to last longer than XBOX1 will (as it stands, ebgames is listing 5 pages of releases through the end of this year including the next splinter cell, superman, Call of Duty 3, etc), is because the PS3 adoption is going to be slow due to cost, and the huge footprint that the PS2 has enjoyed with it's 6 year cycle. They would be stupid to shut down PS2 game production; that would destroy their customer base.

That being said, I think both are equally matched. Crux, borrow a buddies system (one of each) and rent/borrow some exclusives and some cross platforms and check them out.

Oh, and if you have surround sound AND/OR a HDTV or a Widescreen SDTV, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND the Xbox1 over the PS2.

Hell, bite the bullet and get a 360. biggrin heh.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2006, 04:09:38 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 14, 2006, 02:53:18 PM

I think the difference here is that Sony is actually making money on PS2 hardware sales- to this day MS still loses money on every Xbox 1 sold and that won't change because of the nature of their agreements they made with the different component manufacturers.  That's why, in addition to stopping devleopment of first party games (and presumably not promoting third party exclusives for the platform), they stopped actual Xbox console manufacturing last year too.  It is completely in MS's best interests to try and shift every available consumer to the 360 which was designed to ultimately turn a profit on each game console sold.

So for Sony, PS2 hardware and software sales are a nice continuing base and for all the stupidity of their recent moves, I don't think they are too stupid to see that a $129.99 hardware component isn't going to signfiicantly cannibalize the sales of a $600 hardware component.  People who are just now getting around to buying a PS2 are not the early adopters willing to shell out for the PS3. 

I would put forward the PS2 purchases are people buying replacement hardware.  :slywink: PS2 isn't going anywhere, and they have installed base. As it stands I think that the PS2 may even outlive the PS3 (should it fail to "Take"). This isn't to say that Sony is committed to their customers; it's just that their PS2 cow has a lot more milk with little overall cost or effort. They have done an excellent job with their PS2 strategies.

But as you said a 129$ product ain't gonna cannibalize their new product lineup, it's also not going to significantly eat away at their next-gen competition either. BC or not, most people who've invested in the hardware would keep it over spending an extra 200 to get a ps3 over a 360. I know *I* would.

Also, I don't think sony makes money on console sales (Nintendo does though); they just lose significantly less. Maybe the PSTwo changed that; I hadn't heard that. Consoles sold lose money, game adoption rates determine profits.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2006, 04:14:54 PM »

Also, I don't think sony makes money on console sales (Nintendo does though); they just lose significantly less. Maybe the PSTwo changed that; I hadn't heard that. Consoles sold lose money, game adoption rates determine profits.

Sony traditionally loses money on the hardware at launch but it ultimately becomes profitable on each unit after a few years of cost reductions in manufacturing.  So while Sony did lose money on each PS2 when they first hit the market, they've been making money on each console for a few years now. MS is taking the same strategy with the 360, still losing money at the outset but designed this time out to be profitable per unit in a few years.  Nintendo is unique in that they are the only manufacturer who make money on each piece of hardware from Launch Day. 
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2006, 06:08:01 PM »

Hell, bite the bullet and get a 360.

If you can afford it, I definitely agree with this.
After all the Xbox is still $180 (if you can find it) in stores.. if you get a 360 you're opening yourself up to the future of gaming and on top of that, you can still play some of the original xbox games through the BC updates.

Personally it's hard for me to justify $180 for a system that's been kicked to the curb while the new model comes parading in stealing all the glory.

Also another tip - try buying a used xbox or ps2 at gamestop and using it for the 7 days they give you, and if it's not what you were looking for, return it. (They have a 7 day return on all used items)
I did this on an xbox a while ago, bought an xbox and about 10 games, played a bit and said my money was better off with the 360.. so I returned it and all the games for a full refund. The manager asked if it worked okay and I said it was fine, just didn't like it. So my return receipt said reason for return "did not like"
And on the same note, you can do the very same thing at Walmart or Target, buy a PS2 or Xbox, play it a bit, and if you dont like it, return it.. tell them it scratched a disc of yours and you want a refund. They both have great return policies so there wont be any problems getting your money back. (I've done stuff like this all the time.) I know it may seem "wrong" but would a huge corporation like Walmart really lose anything? Besides the console gets shipped right back to Sony or MS anyway, who in turn, check it and send it back out as a refurbished model, so in the end nobody loses.

Good luck on whatever you decide though, they're both good systems each with their own ups and downs.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: