http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 03:38:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox took a crap - couple questions  (Read 1439 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2008, 03:44:06 AM »

Hey guys, my xbox took a shit tonight and is freezing while playing games, disc based or from the HD.  I submitted an order to MS to get it replaced, but I have some questions.

What happens to my saved games?
What happens to my downloaded arcade games?

Thanks in advance...hopefully it gets fixed quick.  Luckily I have a PS3 to play Dead Space in two weeks!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 03:45:20 AM »

you don't send in your HD so all your stuff will be fine.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 03:51:31 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 02, 2008, 03:45:20 AM

you don't send in your HD so all your stuff will be fine.

Cool thanks CeeKay!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 04:03:17 AM »

Leo ... once you get it back you'll need to redownload your content to move the licenses. It's not hard, just a little tedious.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 04:10:04 AM »

Quote from: Purge on October 02, 2008, 04:03:17 AM

Leo ... once you get it back you'll need to redownload your content to move the licenses. It's not hard, just a little tedious.

Thanks Purge, can I move the license online, or do I have to do it through the xbox UI?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 04:20:17 AM »

I don't remember having to do that, but it has been a couple of years since I had to switch out 360's.  sorry to have left that out Leo  icon_redface

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 04:21:28 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 02, 2008, 04:20:17 AM

I don't remember having to do that, but it has been a couple of years since I had to switch out 360's.  sorry to have left that out Leo  icon_redface

It's all good.  Thanks guys.  Thank goodness it didn't crap out the night before Gears 2 came out.  I might just have it back in time for Fallout 3 and by PS3 will enjoy getting some use with Dead Space!
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 05:11:05 PM »

I just did this last week.

You run the license transfer online at xbox.com.   It requires you to be connected on your xbox and then it disconnects you.  I'm not sure why that part is.  It then requires you to login with the xbox you want to have the licenses transferred to within 30 minutes or so.   

Then, on your new xbox, go into account management and look at your download history.  You can redownload everything you've ever done from there.   

Note that  I only downloaded items I actually "bought".   My "trial" arcade games I did NOT have to re-download.

Sometimes the download is quick like it's only doing a partial download of just the key.  Sometimes it downloads the whole item.  Seemed hit or miss.

- shaggy

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 06:14:13 PM »

Thanks, shaggydoug!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 08:09:34 PM »

Well my coffin arrived and just as quickly I dropped it off at a local UPS store.  Hopefully they can turn it around quick.  The label said it was going to Mesquite, TX via UPS ground.  I suspect it will be 2-3 days before it even gets there. 
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 10:31:57 PM »

Or never if I can intercept the right truck... icon_twisted

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Wheelman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 11:36:25 PM »

You got a coffin? Mine crapped out last night (2nd one) and the guy said they'd email me a shipping label. I asked about them sending a package and he acted like that wasn't an option. Of course I'm not sure he actually spoke English. My concern was that if I package it up myself and it got crunched in transit they would claim that it was on me and not repair it. I ended up paying UPS $5 to package it for me.

Of course the upside is I called them last night and was able to ship it out today, hopefully it's back before the four straight weeks of budget destroying new releases (or maybe it's just as well).
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 11:47:30 PM »

Quote from: Wheelman on October 03, 2008, 11:36:25 PM

You got a coffin? Mine crapped out last night (2nd one) and the guy said they'd email me a shipping label. I asked about them sending a package and he acted like that wasn't an option. Of course I'm not sure he actually spoke English. My concern was that if I package it up myself and it got crunched in transit they would claim that it was on me and not repair it. I ended up paying UPS $5 to package it for me.

Of course the upside is I called them last night and was able to ship it out today, hopefully it's back before the four straight weeks of budget destroying new releases (or maybe it's just as well).

Yeah I did it all online.  It took 2 days for an empty box with some packing materials to arrive via ups with a return label already printed inside.
Wheelman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2008, 01:22:40 AM »

heh, didn't even occur to me you could process it online! That would have saved 20 minutes of repeating myself.
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2008, 03:18:56 AM »

You all must be a bad influence. My 360 got it's RROD about an hour ago. Yup, the classic three red segments  tear. The good news is that it's the EB, er Gamestop refurbished one I got with a one year warranty. The bad news is that it's 16 months since I got it. The GOOD news is that my previous 360, the one that died which motivated me to get the Gamestop one, well I was able to get it repaired for free by Micro$oft when they extended their warranty, so for fifteen months I've had it as a backup. Swapped the hard drive, plugged it in, got the updates and in less than ten minutes I was playing Baja:Edge of Control again.

So, now I have an old 360, no doubt really well beyond the free repair coverage. So I wonder how much I have to pony up to get it fixed? At least I have the coffin!

UPDATE: Well, it's $99 USD minus $5 for online request, except that the damn site keeps getting an error and won't accept my request. It also won't tell me if my refurb unit is covered by the three year warranty for RROD.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 03:38:54 AM by Roscoe » Logged

XBL gamertag: jztemple
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2008, 01:34:48 AM »

Well my Xbox arrived at the service center on 10/9 and one day later they updated the status to:

Device shipped to customer - Your console has been repaired or replaced. We are shipping it back to you.

So I wonder what happened or if they gave me a new one?
Wheelman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2008, 05:17:49 AM »

Sounds like your doing better than me. UPS indicated that they delivered mine on 10/7 but up until yesterday the status on Microsoft's website indicated "Still waiting for shipment"

Today it reads "repair canceled" and I've received a different email with a differnet tracking number who's status is "received" (the carrier is listed as TRUCK- LV, no idea what that means).

Anyway, a call about all of this resulted in "Call us back in 24 to 48 hours"

sigh
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2008, 06:20:52 AM »

Quote from: Wheelman on October 12, 2008, 05:17:49 AM

Sounds like your doing better than me. UPS indicated that they delivered mine on 10/7 but up until yesterday the status on Microsoft's website indicated "Still waiting for shipment"

Today it reads "repair canceled" and I've received a different email with a differnet tracking number who's status is "received" (the carrier is listed as TRUCK- LV, no idea what that means).

Anyway, a call about all of this resulted in "Call us back in 24 to 48 hours"

sigh

That sucks man I'm sorry to hear that.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2008, 06:44:15 AM »

Quote from: shaggydoug on October 02, 2008, 05:11:05 PM

I just did this last week.

You run the license transfer online at xbox.com.   It requires you to be connected on your xbox and then it disconnects you.  I'm not sure why that part is.  It then requires you to login with the xbox you want to have the licenses transferred to within 30 minutes or so.  

Then, on your new xbox, go into account management and look at your download history.  You can redownload everything you've ever done from there.  

Note that  I only downloaded items I actually "bought".   My "trial" arcade games I did NOT have to re-download.

Sometimes the download is quick like it's only doing a partial download of just the key.  Sometimes it downloads the whole item.  Seemed hit or miss.

- shaggy

Do not use the online license tool; try doing the re-download of your live account and redownload some purchased content first. They are *supposed* to transfer licenses on repair orders.

If it doesn't work you could then do it, but it's better to have that option available; if you use it, you can't do it again for another year.

Also Shaggy, the reason why some don't take long is because that content is already on the HDD. If it takes a long time it means you didn't still have it so it's not just updating the DRM key on the already downloaded content. This is why you don't need to do anything for trial stuff; you don't have a license anyways. Chances are that if some of the content you redownloaded took a while it wasn't actually on that HDD (anymore).

eg: if your HDD had some live games you already bought and some rockband content, you would need to redownload them. Since the files themselves are already there, you're just downloading the "key" to allow anyone on your console to access it (otherwise it's considered "foreign" and requires your live account to act as it's passport). If you have no access to the net to validate the live account then your content won't be available (I discovered this with RockBand when we went out to the lake with my console). If you had DLC for a game you no longer have and you deleted the files for the game, it may have deleted the DLC as well. When you look at the list you may re-DL it as you paid for it, but it wasn't there so now it acts like a normal download.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2008, 05:17:58 PM »

Xbox is back and works great.  Faceplate is brand new.  I think the internal components are all brand new also.  You can distinctly see 2 fans in the back vent and I didn't have those before.  My case and serial number (aside from the faceplate) are the same.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: