http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 02:47:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox rpg questions  (Read 928 times)
Xmann
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ironman in training

View Profile
« on: September 21, 2005, 05:10:48 PM »

I think i know my answer, but thought i'd ask anyways.  When picking up a couple Xbox games today, i looked at countless PS2 Final Fantasy'ish/Anime/Japanese role playing games i would love to play.  Is there anything for Xbox of this nature or do i need to buy a PS2 to play games like this?

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 05:59:28 PM »

There are far more RPGs on the PS2 than the Xbox. If you're a giant RPG fan, and only buy that genre on the PS2, you'll find the console more than worth the purchase, IMHO.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 06:21:01 PM »

Chrono Cross -alone- justifies the purchase of a PS2 for an console rpg'er. And it's a PS1 game!

The PS2, with it's collection of native and PS1 rpg's, is definately worth it. As a bonus, there's a lot of platform action to be had on the PS2, as well.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 06:30:09 PM »

Quote from: "greeneggsnham"
Chrono Cross -alone- justifies the purchase of a PS2 for an console rpg'er. And it's a PS1 game!

+1.  Chrono Cross is an absolutely fantastic game.

There really isn't a japanese/anime style RPG for the X-Box.  The closest one style-wise is Sudeki, but it's really more of an action RPG than a traditional japanese RPG.  If you pick up a PS2, however, you will have a huge amount of RPG goodness available to you.  It's worth it for the PS2 titles, but if you factor in any of the PS1 RPG's you may have missed, it's a no-brainer.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 06:35:02 PM »

The only traditional console RPG for XBox that I know of is Lord of The Rings : The Third Age, which is based on the gameplay of Final Fantasy X, and it's also available on the PS2.  Star Wars : KoTOR 1 and 2 are more like console RPGs than they are PC RPGs, but are different enough to not really fit the category of traditional console RPG.  There are a ton for the PS2, and at least 25 more coming before the end of the PS2's life cycle.  Apparently, MS realized lack of RPGs was a problem on the XBox,  as there are already at least 4 traditional console RPGs in the works for the 360.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 07:47:16 PM »

I strongly disagree about Chronocross being the PS2 RPG seller. It is a game that I and many others found so cumbersome with all the characters, the repetitious area recycling, and the slow beginning. There is a large contingent here that thinks its quite overrated. I say this not to say Gratch and the other guys are wrong, just to give you a second opinion.

Now, in terms of RPG's, you are pretty much down to this for XBox:
Morrowind
Fable
Jade Empire
LOTR:Third Age
Sudeki
KOTOR 1 and 2
and a couple others of little interest. Jade Empire from what I have played I enjoyed greatly, but many others here feel it is overrated. Fable is fun but short (that seems to be the consensus). I have heard LOTR described as RPG lite-super linear and quite easy. Morrowind is phenomenally large and super fun if you enjoy the open-endedness of it all. Sudeki is a mediocre but fun action-rpg that lasts maybe 10 hours. KOTOR1 is one of the finest rpgs of the last 4 or 5 years, and KOTOR2 is an excellent followup that collapses towards the end.

Now, for pure RPG goodness, no one can argue the PS2 is superior. I mean, not only can you play the SMT games, Xenosaga games, Final Fantasy X (and maybe X-2), Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter, the Atlus TBRPGs, and many more, but you can also play the backlog of simply phenomenal PS1 Rpgs-too many to list.

Hope that helps. Sorry for the poor formatting, in a rush.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2005, 08:41:34 PM »

Ya i have tried a few on Xbox and most i dont really like.  I'm not a huge rpg player, but i do like the occasional one.  Might have to wait for Santa to bring me a PS2.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2005, 05:54:12 PM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
I strongly disagree about Chronocross being the PS2 RPG seller. It is a game that I and many others found so cumbersome with all the characters, the repetitious area recycling, and the slow beginning. There is a large contingent here that thinks its quite overrated. I say this not to say Gratch and the other guys are wrong, just to give you a second opinion.

And I agree with Calvin here - Chrono Cross was not that good of an RPG. Chrono Trigger ruled - the sequel did not.

But yes, there are a lot of great RPGs out there for the PS2, as well as the Xbox. And the stuff you might've missed on the PS1. Odds are very good you'll find something that'll suck you in for 40 hours or more (YMMV though).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: