http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 07:48:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XBox originals on 360  (Read 1757 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2008, 11:11:19 PM »

After reading some Fable 2 previews, I decided to give the original another shot and picked it up via marketplace download.  That will certainly be the last time I make that mistake.  There are all kinds of technical issues such as sound stuttering and disappearing character models, and the frame rate is simply abysmal.  I know the original had some slow-down issues, but this downloaded version is ridiculous and turns into a slide show whenever more than 2 people are on the screen at once.  And to top it all off, it locked up my system when I tried to exit back to the dashboard.

Needless to say, I won't be using their DL service again for any original X-box games. 

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 12:24:09 AM »

That really sucks.

Most of the Xbox Originals are backwards compatible already and cheaper. I think I've seen Fable for under $10 used at EB.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 12:46:00 AM »

From what I've heard, performance is the same as using a disc.
If anyone knows otherwise, please chime in.
I recall the framerate being awful playing it BC.
Actually that holds for every BC game I tried except Crimson Skies,
which did suffer from some sound issues.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 01:05:02 AM »

Only BC game I tried was Halo 2 which ran fine while playing some MP matches. Of course with it being Halo they might have done some extra work to get it running smoothly.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 01:20:48 AM »

I don't remember having any issues playing Fables from a disc. And I haven't had any problems with Pirates! via xbox originals.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 02:33:22 AM »

I played Fable and Fable: Lost Chapters on BC and didn't have too many significant problems.  I did run into a crash once or twice (I think with the original), but not serious performance issues. 

I've never tried any of the Originals downloads since, as Misguided said, they are all on the regular BC list and available cheaper on disc.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 02:57:06 AM »

I played Lego Star Wars and Burnout 3 on my Xbox 360, and I didn't have any issues with either.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 01:30:03 PM »

I've tried all of my original X-Box titles that are all listed as "backwards compatible" on the 360 BC list, and all but a few of them have major gameplay-affecting issues, which led me to hang onto my old X-Box to play them. Very frustrating though, as the BC of the Wii (with both Gamecube and VC titles) and PS2 are perfect, allowing me to have fewer systems hooked up to the TV.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 01:54:04 PM »

Of all the BC games I've played Fable Lost Chapters is really the only one that I've encountered significant problems with. It's still playable, but I do get the sound issues you described and the frame rates are often poor. I also had a minor problem with Mech Assault 2 being displayed at 16:10 instead of it's original 16:9 aspect ratio.
Some games have actually played as well or better. SW Battlefront 2, Chaos Theory, Halo 2 and Flatout come to mind as games that seem to have a better framerate or improved visuals due to upscaling.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 01:57:53 PM »

I played a bit more last night, and the slowdowns seem to be confined to a few specific areas (mainly cities).  It's still somewhat playable, although I'm kicking myself for grabbing it through the DL service instead of trying to find a hard copy of the "Lost Chapters" version somewhere.  Stupid impulse purchases.   icon_evil

Insert Quote
I've tried all of my original X-Box titles that are all listed as "backwards compatible" on the 360 BC list, and all but a few of them have major gameplay-affecting issues, which led me to hang onto my old X-Box to play them. Very frustrating though, as the BC of the Wii (with both Gamecube and VC titles) and PS2 are perfect, allowing me to have fewer systems hooked up to the TV.

The only other original XBox game I've tried was Thief 3, and it was completely unplayable.  There's apparently a bug that causes all light sources (torches, lamps, etc) to actually clip through the walls.  So when you're sneaking around in one room, you can see all the torches from other rooms through the freaking walls.  Pretty much made it impossible to play.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 02:49:22 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 22, 2008, 01:57:53 PM

Insert Quote

The only other original XBox game I've tried was Thief 3, and it was completely unplayable.  There's apparently a bug that causes all light sources (torches, lamps, etc) to actually clip through the walls.  So when you're sneaking around in one room, you can see all the torches from other rooms through the freaking walls.  Pretty much made it impossible to play.

I tried to play Red Dead Revolver using the BC and it had some pretty bad graphical issues also.  it looked like a pretty cool game too.  I guess it's because they went with an ATI video chipset instead of the orignal nVidia one.

actually, now that I think about it, the PC version of Thief 3 had graphic issues for awhile when you ran it with an ATI card unless you rolled back to a certain driver, which broke other games.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 03:43:14 PM »

I played through Fable and Crimson Skies and had no issues, but ran into some "slide shows" when playing Baldur's Gate: DA 2

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 03:44:31 PM »

Quote from: DamageInc on July 22, 2008, 03:43:14 PM

I played through Fable and Crimson Skies and had no issues, but ran into some "slide shows" when playing Baldur's Gate: DA 2

My 360 is pretty old, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it.  Did they change any of the BC functionality with the newer versions?

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 04:33:51 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 22, 2008, 03:44:31 PM

My 360 is pretty old, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it.  Did they change any of the BC functionality with the newer versions?

i have a launch 360 and i downloaded Fable from the xbox originals,and havent noticed any problems(not had any problems with any that i have downloaded)...it did however take about 3 days to download

i have to get back to this game,and while i am on it i will keep an eye out(just incase i just didnt notice any thing worng),but i am about 4-5hrs in at the moment

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 04:40:24 PM »

Ah...interesting question, as I have 1 of the Zephyr models with HDMI dated 09/2007. Based on my comments earlier, I don't seem to have nearly as many problems with BC as others do here.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2008, 05:24:10 PM »

BC games I've played:

Halo 2- generally okay though it had some very weird visual effects at times (essentially some sort of bizarre ghost trails/after effect getting stuck on the screen).

PoP Sands of Time- non combat portions were fine but it took major framerate hits in combat

Indiana Jones & The Emperor's Tomb- sever music issues

Ninja Gaiden Black- played fine

Call of Cthulu- various bugs but considering the buggy nature of the final product hard to pinpoint if it was the game or the BC

GTA: Vice City- poor framerate but it might have been like that on regular Xbox version
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2008, 07:08:01 PM »

i played all the way through Halo, Halo 2, Jade Empire, Ninja Gaiden:Black, Metal Arms, Panzer Dragoon:Orta, and Sphinx & The Cursed Mummy on my launch 360 without any issues.  that said, i haven't actually tried any of the downloadable versions, but i don't think their performance is supposed to be any different...just reads data off your HD rather than the disc, but it's otherwise the same game and emulation.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2008, 09:35:32 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 22, 2008, 05:24:10 PM

BC games I've played:

GTA: Vice City- poor framerate but it might have been like that on regular Xbox version

did you have trouble with the radio stations having a volume so low that you could hardly hear them?

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2008, 10:07:52 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 22, 2008, 09:35:32 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 22, 2008, 05:24:10 PM

BC games I've played:

did you have trouble with the radio stations having a volume so low that you could hardly hear them?

Hmm, can't recall- I didn't spend too much time with VC before trying the PC version instead. 
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2008, 12:45:17 AM »

On the topic of Fable, I have the regular edition (not the Lost Chapters or whatever it was called) for the original X-Box, and it crashed out within 10-15 minutes each time I tried playing it on the 360. It also had bad framerate issues at times that I didn't experience on the regular X-Box.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2008, 04:01:55 PM »

I played them on a launch day system, but I had the actual games not the download versions

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2008, 04:49:16 PM »

Add Splinter Cell Double Agent to my list of BC games I've played without problems. To be fair I have only completed the 1st 2 levels, but so far not a single issue. And man does it look nice for an Xbox game! If it wasn't for the occasional slightly more noticeable aliasing I'd swear it was a 360 game. I wish I still had my Xbox so I could draw a comparison, but I'm guessing it wouldn't look quite as good on the original. It also helps that it's panning out to be a heckuva good SC game.  slywink
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2008, 05:56:59 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on July 23, 2008, 04:49:16 PM

Add Splinter Cell Double Agent to my list of BC games I've played without problems. To be fair I have only completed the 1st 2 levels, but so far not a single issue. And man does it look nice for an Xbox game! If it wasn't for the occasional slightly more noticeable aliasing I'd swear it was a 360 game. I wish I still had my Xbox so I could draw a comparison, but I'm guessing it wouldn't look quite as good on the original. It also helps that it's panning out to be a heckuva good SC game.  slywink

do you mean "Chaos Theory"?  Double Agent is actually available as a 360 game. 

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2008, 06:02:25 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 23, 2008, 05:56:59 PM

Double Agent has an original Xbox version that is a totally different game than the 360 version (same plot idea, different everything else) from different developers that is also a far, far superior game than the 360 version of the title. 
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2008, 06:04:31 PM »

really?  i didn't know that.  i'll have to check it out now. 

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2008, 06:10:52 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 23, 2008, 06:04:31 PM

really?  i didn't know that.  i'll have to check it out now. 

Yeah,

I have some impressions of the Xbox version in the 360 impressions thread starting with this post as well in a few follow-up posts.  I also recall several other GT'ers who have tried the original Xbox version and were impressed as well.  Very underrated game. 
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2008, 06:12:33 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 23, 2008, 05:56:59 PM

Nope I mean the Xbox version. I've been told by a number of friends, as well as some GT forum members, that the Xbox version is different than the 360 version and the better of the 2. Which is apparently due to the fact that the Xbox version was developed by the same team that did Chaos Theory whereas the 360 version wasn't. I've no doubt that the 360 version looks better, but I'll always choose gameplay over eye candy. Besides, as I said earlier the Xbox version looks damn nice anyways. Based on how easy it is to find the 360 version in my city and how scarce the Xbox version is, leads me to believe that what I've been told is correct.

[Edit] LOL looks like KG got 2 posts done in the time it took me to do 1; I've gotta stop multitasking.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 06:14:41 PM by kronovan » Logged
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2008, 06:29:27 PM »

well, i'm sold.  i'll pick up chaos theory and double agent tonight on my way home.  they're having a sale at GS for b2g1 on all xbox games, so i guess i need to find a third BC game to play. 

i really wish they'd put riddick on the bc list, though.  i've been wanting to play it for a long time.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2008, 06:47:10 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on July 23, 2008, 06:29:27 PM

i really wish they'd put riddick on the bc list, though.  i've been wanting to play it for a long time.

Yup...Ridick is one of the games I really wished had made the BC list. I never did get around to playing it on the Xbox and since I own both movies and the anime I'd consider myself a fan. Maybe I'll get a chance when my nephew brings my Xbox back to town at the end of summer.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 06:49:21 PM by kronovan » Logged
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2008, 06:56:47 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on July 23, 2008, 06:47:10 PM

Yup...Ridick is one of the games I really wished had made the BC list. I never did get around to playing it on the Xbox and since I own both movies and the anime I'd consider myself a fan. Maybe I'll get a chance when my nephew brings my Xbox back to town at the end of summer.

i think it was left off on purpose,because they WERE meant to be remaking the game for this gen...but i havent heard anything about it for a while now

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2008, 09:24:21 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 23, 2008, 06:56:47 PM

i think it was left off on purpose,because they WERE meant to be remaking the game for this gen...but i havent heard anything about it for a while now

Yeah, you'll have your chance when the remake comes out.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2008, 09:37:43 PM »

My understanding is that the game is being remade because the original was done so late in the Xbox's lifecycle, it used some tricks and programming code that just can't be emulated. This is true for some other titles too.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2008, 09:42:02 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on July 23, 2008, 09:24:21 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on July 23, 2008, 06:56:47 PM

Yeah, you'll have your chance when the remake comes out.

Great to here they're making a remake. That works for me because honestly this game, like SC Double Agent, can't be found anywhere in my city.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2008, 10:10:45 PM »

The only problem is that the last news article I found on riddick coming to the 360 is from last fall and it simply said, "moved to 2008".   icon_confused

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2008, 11:10:48 PM »

I believe I read an update in June that stated it was still coming. 
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2008, 12:49:45 AM »

I don't see why they would cancel a remake anyways. At the very least they could re-release the game simply with updated graphics and plenty of us would be satisfied. It was their choice to add extra content, not us who demanded it.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: