http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 05:02:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox Originals - New additions to the lineup  (Read 1170 times)
disarm
Gaming Trend Senior Member

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2008, 05:40:19 AM »

for those interested in the Xbox Original being made over Live, it looks like MS is expanding the lineup yet again.  the official site is now showing three more games that will be available for download next week (2/11) for $15 each...

Ninja Gaiden Black
Sid Meier's Pirates
Black

next week's additions will bring the total number of Original available up to eleven.  here's a summary of what's already available for those not keeping track...

Burnout 3
Crash Bandicoot: Wrath of Cortex
Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge
Fable
Fuzion Frenzy
Halo
Indigo Prophecy
Psychonauts

while i haven't tried any of these downloads for myself yet, i do think that it's a pretty cool idea.  unfortunately, i think they're a little overpriced once you consider what some sell for used, and they take up too much of the 360's HD space to really get into buying many of them...at least until MS can be convinced to drop the price of a larger HD drastically...

for those who haven't played Ninja Gaiden:Black yet, however, i think this is a great opportunity to try out an awesome game...easily one of my favorites from the xbox ninja

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 08:02:25 AM »

Great choices, 2 of which I would like to play, but they are 5 bucks too expensive.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 09:05:52 AM »

good to see that it is ninja gaiden black and not just ninja gaiden(unlike Fable,not being the lost chapters)....i downloaded farenheit(indigo prophecy),fable(thinking it would be the lost chapters,oh well) and burnout 3(which i played more on than paradise)...when compared to the arcade games i think the price is right(1200 for xbox originals and usually 800 for arcade games)...but that just means that the arcade games are also overpriced

the line up for these are pretty cool,when added to the list of arcade games and compare them to the Wii VC,it doesnt look to shabby,hopefully PSN store will catch up as well

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 05:27:43 PM »

Quote from: disarm on February 06, 2008, 05:40:19 AM

for those who haven't played Ninja Gaiden:Black yet, however, i think this is a great opportunity to try out an awesome game...easily one of my favorites from the xbox ninja

icon_eek

This might actually convince me to finally pick up Ninja Gaiden Black.  I played the original but eventually lost interest because of the difficulty level and I never picked up Black because I just couldn't justify buying the same damn game all over again.  But knowing that Black offers the ability to select an easier difficulty setting and I can conveniently download it for $15 I might finally give it a try.  I really regretted not finishing Ninja Gaiden, but it was just too hard and frustrating for me to stick with it. 

This might be just what I need to get out of my current gaming funk.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 05:51:59 PM »

God, for a sec I thought they were referring to Sea Dogs 2 (Pirates of the Caribbean)...

I thought they were trying to compete with Nintendo on how many controllers have been thrown into televisions.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 06:18:45 PM »

Ooh, I may have to spring for Pirates. I think I saw it in stores once long ago but it never seemed to be available.

Of course, I just started Oblivion last night so I may not have a need for anything for quite awhile.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 07:12:45 PM »

Even though all of these games are already on the BC list, I'm hoping this signals new additions to said list.  We're almost due.  It's been three months

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 10:02:52 PM »

I may grab Black or Pirates!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 10:26:55 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on February 06, 2008, 05:27:43 PM

icon_eek

This might actually convince me to finally pick up Ninja Gaiden Black.  I played the original but eventually lost interest because of the difficulty level and I never picked up Black because I just couldn't justify buying the same damn game all over again.  But knowing that Black offers the ability to select an easier difficulty setting and I can conveniently download it for $15 I might finally give it a try.  I really regretted not finishing Ninja Gaiden, but it was just too hard and frustrating for me to stick with it. 

while i'll agree that NG:B is one of the most challenging games i've ever played, the absolute awesomeness of the game and feeling of satisfaction that came with finishing made it well worth the effort.  personally, i'd recommend sticking with the default difficulty...hard as hell when you're starting out, but once the game starts to click, it's a great experience.  'Ninja Dog' mode is definitely there if you really need it though...little pink ribbon and all icon_wink

for the record, NG:B runs and looks fantastic on the 360...rock solid framerate, 720p resolution, and the added antialiasing makes for a beautiful game.  i think i paid $20 to buy a brand new copy a little over two years ago, and it's worth every penny.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 10:34:00 PM »

Problem I have is that I can go to about any used game store and find these for these prices, AND I don't have to give up all that hard disk space.  If they are backwards compabitle then they are whether on the hard drive or not.  I would rather save the space and then when I am done with the game I can sell it for 3 or 4 bucks or give it away as a gift in a future trade.

I like the idea, but the hard drive is just too small in my opinion.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 10:48:24 PM »

Quote from: disarm on February 06, 2008, 10:26:55 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on February 06, 2008, 05:27:43 PM

icon_eek

while i'll agree that NG:B is one of the most challenging games i've ever played, the absolute awesomeness of the game and feeling of satisfaction that came with finishing made it well worth the effort.  personally, i'd recommend sticking with the default difficulty...hard as hell when you're starting out, but once the game starts to click, it's a great experience.  'Ninja Dog' mode is definitely there if you really need it though...little pink ribbon and all icon_wink

for the record, NG:B runs and looks fantastic on the 360...rock solid framerate, 720p resolution, and the added antialiasing makes for a beautiful game.  i think i paid $20 to buy a brand new copy a little over two years ago, and it's worth every penny.

Did you ever play the original?  I absolutely loved it when it was first released, and I played it relentlessly for quite some time, but I eventually reached a point of such incredible difficulty that it just wasn't fun anymore.  I just don't want to hit that same point again with Black.  I can't remember exactly at what point I gave up on the original, but I remember replaying a boss battle so many times that there just wasn't any point in continuing with the game as it was apparent that I would never see beyond that particular point in the game (the only other game with such an unforgiving level of difficulty that it sucked both the fun and the life out of my gaming enjoyment was the original Devil May Cry).

If I can expect the same level of difficulty in Black then I would only be setting myself up for the same feelings of disappointment and resentment toward what could otherwise have been a fantastic game marred only by a level of difficulty capable of bringing even the most hardened of gamers to tears.  I loved the original Ninja Gaiden, but there came a point when that love eventually changed to the complete and utter hatred with the intensity of 1000 suns.  I've also read that the Ninja Dog level is actually the same as Normal but with a pink armband and a faster skill progression, but the overall difficulty is generally the same.  If so then am I just going to have the same horribly humbling experience all over again?

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 11:04:12 PM »

I played as long as I could with the pink armband and eventually failed miserably not even half way through.  I have tried that game at least a dozen times, never got past 1/2 way, and I am officially done with it for all eternity.  And any sequel that comes from its loins.

I have no problem admitting I am not a frenetic-combo-mastering-button-mashing type of gamer. 

I am Xboxalot on Live.
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 11:08:09 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on February 06, 2008, 10:48:24 PM

Did you ever play the original?  I absolutely loved it when it was first released, and I played it relentlessly for quite some time, but I eventually reached a point of such incredible difficulty that it just wasn't fun anymore.  I just don't want to hit that same point again with Black...

...If I can expect the same level of difficulty in Black then I would only be setting myself up for the same feelings of disappointment and resentment toward what could otherwise have been a fantastic game marred only by a level of difficulty capable of bringing even the most hardened of gamers to tears.  I loved the original Ninja Gaiden, but there came a point when that love eventually changed to the complete and utter hatred with the intensity of 1000 suns.  I've also read that the Ninja Dog level is actually the same as Normal but with a pink armband and a faster skill progression, but the overall difficulty is generally the same.  If so then am I just going to have the same horribly humbling experience all over again?

i never played the original or Black in Ninja Dog mode so i can't really say how they compare in actual difficulty, but i do know there are some specific changes in the easier mode that should make a difference.  while i don't think the enemies themselves have much less forgiving tactics, they do attack in smaller groups and do slightly less damage...bosses supposedly use the same tactics but for less damage as well.  as you make your way through the game, Ayane (girl with the pink ribbon notes) also gives you a few useful armbands near the beginning, as well as a number of health potions that you don't receive on any other difficulty.  i know it doesn't sound like much, but i've heard that it is quite a bit more enjoyable if 'normal' has you frustrated.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 11:15:10 PM »

Quote from: disarm on February 06, 2008, 11:08:09 PM

i never played the original or Black in Ninja Dog mode so i can't really say how they compare in actual difficulty, but i do know there are some specific changes in the easier mode that should make a difference.  while i don't think the enemies themselves have much less forgiving tactics, they do attack in smaller groups and do slightly less damage...bosses supposedly use the same tactics but for less damage as well.  as you make your way through the game, Ayane (girl with the pink ribbon notes) also gives you a few useful armbands near the beginning, as well as a number of health potions that you don't receive on any other difficulty.  i know it doesn't sound like much, but i've heard that it is quite a bit more enjoyable if 'normal' has you frustrated.

The less damage aspect could be a big help, as some bosses were relentless in the amount of health they took away with any one attack.  I managed to make it through 60 to 70% of the original in spite of the relentless difficulty, so the Ninja Dog setting might be enough to take the edge off just enough to allow me to finally finish one of my favorite games from the previous generation (at least up to the point when I was reduced to tears).  I'm seriously considering picking it up next week.  Few action games have even come close in comparison, especially in this next generation of gaming.  Ninja Gaiden was one of a kind and hella fun to play.  If only it were just a little bit easier.  I enjoy a challenging game, but controller-destroying difficulty just isn't fun.   

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 06:31:32 PM »

For those planning on downloading Pirates!, you might want to make sure it's the patched version 1st. The patch simplified the in motion button sequences that were triggered when you boarded a ship. Prior to the patch those sequences were extremely difficult when playing the game on either of the 2 highest difficulty settings. Personally I found the game to be far too easy on any of the 3 lower difficulties.
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2008, 07:09:13 PM »

Good to know. I would assume they would make the latest version available, but ya never know.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2008, 01:14:43 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on February 07, 2008, 06:31:32 PM

For those planning on downloading Pirates!, you might want to make sure it's the patched version 1st. The patch simplified the in motion button sequences that were triggered when you boarded a ship. Prior to the patch those sequences were extremely difficult when playing the game on either of the 2 highest difficulty settings. Personally I found the game to be far too easy on any of the 3 lower difficulties.

huh?  the PC version didn't have any button mashing to board a ship- I guess they changed that for the console version.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2008, 01:21:24 AM »

I think I'm in for Pirates!... could use a game of that style to mix things up. Of course I'll also hopefully be getting Lost Odyssey for valentine's day...
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2008, 02:49:21 AM »

I'm tempted to try Black simply because I never got played it when it released.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: