http://gamingtrend.com
August 22, 2014, 01:48:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox Next  (Read 2052 times)
Jeff
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 23, 2004, 03:52:41 AM »

I was in Circuit City today, and ran into a lady who works for Microsoft, wearing all sorts of Xbox and Halo 2 logos. She was merchandising product.

Of course I had to ask a few questions smile and she was surprisingly candid with her answers. What she told me:

* MS is definitely shooting for a Fall/Holiday 2005 release date for it.

* it will be backwards compatible with Xbox 1 titles

* get this ... It will play PC games as well as Xbox 1 & 2 titles.

she was unaware of anything about "3 different versions"

Estimated street price: unknown

size: unknown

keyboard/mouse included or optional: "most likely"

Do with that what you will smile
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 03:56:40 AM »

Ugh, I don't want a pc that plays Xbox games or vice versa, doesn't that defeat the purpose of a console? This seems to match up with the rumors we've been hearing then, as they mention multiple versions, one is a PC that plays Xbox games...

Of course the only PC games that will run on it are the ones that support XNA, the new MS development API, which effectively makes them Xbox games.

I still can't fathom buying this game at the end of next year, I now know I won't be renewing my Xbox Live subscription next march because I don't know how long MS will support us Xbox1 users. Backwards compatible or not, the mass market will have a tough time adapting to a new machine especially one that sounds as confusing as this.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 03:56:58 AM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"

* get this ... It will play PC games as well as Xbox 1 & 2 titles.

Hmmmmmmmmmm...... This would give some credibility to the rumors of various XBox versions coming into the market (1 barebones, 1 with a HD, 1 XBox/PC hybrid).

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 04:12:28 AM »

Very interesting.  Thanks for the info Jeff.

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
Raintitan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 04:15:20 AM »

The world needs a PC that can browse the web, handle email, and play games easily. Something that is as reliable as a TV, refrigerator or gaming console.  

While I enjoy the versatility of a PC, an Xbox that handled the basic PC functionality would be awesome and is just the ticket to expanding the gaming world. People like to bash Windows but it is rock solid on dedicated hardware....as much as any other OS. The Sega Dreamcast and Xbox have proven this.

It would be a good thing.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004, 04:16:37 AM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"
I still can't fathom buying this game at the end of next year, I now know I won't be renewing my Xbox Live subscription next march because I don't know how long MS will support us Xbox1 users.

I can't recall, but wasn't there an option for a monthly rate?  I re-upped in September so I really don't want to be buying another year on a machine that might be gathering dust.  Then again, maybe the subscription will transfer...

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2004, 04:20:47 AM »

yeah there's an otion but the value isn't nearly as good as the one year sub.

And I am certain it will be transferable, but I have no desire to buy one of these things till atleast 6 to 12 months post release.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2004, 04:27:02 AM »

I've never understood the backwards compatibility thing.  I mean, how many PS1 games did you actually play for any length of time on your PS2?

I thought so...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2004, 04:27:42 AM »

Quote from: "Raintitan"
The world needs a PC that can browse the web, handle email, and play games easily. Something that is as reliable as a TV, refrigerator or gaming console.

This has already been done. And on the market today.

Apple.com
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2004, 04:31:42 AM »

Quote from: "Raven VII"
This has already been done. And on the market today.

Apple.com

You overlooked one small detail:

Quote from: "Raintitan"

Aspyr ports of three year old games hardly count as cutting edge.

Just kidding with you! Tongue
kinda...

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2004, 04:40:55 AM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"
I've never understood the backwards compatibility thing.  I mean, how many PS1 games did you actually play for any length of time on your PS2?

I thought so...

Quite a few, actually. Grandia, Star Ocean 2, Final Fantasy Chronicles & Anthology, etc. etc.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2004, 04:47:14 AM »

Uh... is it just me or is anybody else wondering why some MS marketing person would be flipping her mouth off about a product that she probably doesn't know anything about, since the marketing for it hasn't begun?  Besides, if she's working the isles in Circuit City, I doubt she VP of Market research or anything.  Seems fishy.  The marketing people were probably just fed a line from MS to give as an answer to such questions.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2004, 05:51:56 AM »

Quite a lot actually.  For people like myself into RPGs there were some absolute classics released in the PSX era that would be a crime to have missed.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2004, 08:23:34 AM »

This person sounds like their just rattling off whatever is the latest internet rumors for the machine. I doubt she's in the inner loop of the development if her current job is doing demos in Circut City.

Maybe for the hardcore gamers the PS2's backwards compatibility was a factor, but I'd say DVD drive was a bigger point in general for people looking to get the system at the time of its release.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2004, 01:36:07 PM »

I thought so...

Fianl Fantasy Tactics (way too much)
Front Mission 3
Bust a Move
Quite a few others but these 3 the most.

morlac00 on PSN
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2004, 01:49:22 PM »

I was about to agree thinking 'what is the point' on backwards compatibility, but then I remembered that I had to pick up Parappa the Rappa once I got my PS2...

Darn it, on the other side of this arguement now.  Generally not a huge selling point for me though; my XBox will likely go into the closet when I get XBox2 anyhow; not like it'll have enough value to bother selling.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2004, 01:56:34 PM »

Before anyone gets too excited about this "inside info", keep in mind that the Microsoft reps are no more than merchandisers hired to stock shelves and set up displays.  My sister-in-law is the official X-Box rep for the state of Utah, and probably knows less about the new X-Box than anyone here at CG.  Heck, she was stocking grocery store shelves the week before she got the job, and had never even heard of an X-Box until they hired her.  She's not a gamer, has yet to play any console game other than testing the display units at Gamestop & EB, and has no way to get any scoops on new products.  MS doesn't tell them anything regarding new systems, and has very little contact with the actual reps at all.  They are simply simply sent a list of upcoming games and some posters or stand-ups for them.  They set them up in the stores, check the stock, make sure the display unit is working, and e-mail a report back to MS.  That's the extent of their "inside info".

Every once in a while you'll come across a rep that's actually a gamer and has read the latest internet rumors, and it sounds like that's what you ran into.

P.S.  Don't mean to rain on your parade.  Just figured you should know...

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2004, 02:00:18 PM »

Gratch, that's interesting, I didn't know that. She talked like she knew, but very well could've been just talk. Oh well, it's fun to speculate smile
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2004, 02:09:08 PM »

When Dani started, I was really jealous of the job.  I figured, like you, that they would get all kinds of inside info, free games, promo material, etc..  For the first couple months, she would get demo discs, a few free games (which she passed along to me), and a ton of promo stuff that I had free pickings on (I got a sweet KotOR poster).

In the last 6 months, MS has really cracked down on their reps.  They no longer get free games, they are required to inventory every piece of merchandising material and return was doesn't get used, and have had to sign all kinds of non-disclosure forms.  Turns out that most of the free games and free promo material they were handing out was ending up on E-Bay.  Not a big deal for B-list games, but posters and banners for Halo 2 or Fable fetch a pretty nice price, and that was pissing MS off.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2004, 03:47:00 PM »

Quote from: "Gratch"
When Dani started, I was really jealous of the job.  I figured, like you, that they would get all kinds of inside info, free games, promo material, etc..  For the first couple months, she would get demo discs, a few free games (which she passed along to me), and a ton of promo stuff that I had free pickings on (I got a sweet KotOR poster).

In the last 6 months, MS has really cracked down on their reps.  They no longer get free games, they are required to inventory every piece of merchandising material and return was doesn't get used, and have had to sign all kinds of non-disclosure forms.  Turns out that most of the free games and free promo material they were handing out was ending up on E-Bay.  Not a big deal for B-list games, but posters and banners for Halo 2 or Fable fetch a pretty nice price, and that was pissing MS off.

I wouldn't be surprised if it were the employees of the stores that were selling them off as well. Odd as sometimes MS directly ships promo stuff to EB Corporate to distribute to their stores.

How does this work again?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2004, 04:35:52 PM »

I've never understood the backwards compatibility thing.

And thus, no one else could have a valid reason for wanting it.  I've never understood this closed-minded argument.  As you've already seen, people have different needs than you.  For me, backwards compatibility is vital.  I won't be able to get the Xbox Next without it for two reasons: 1) Given the size of the damn Xbox, there won't be room for another unit and 2) I can convince my wife it's worth it if it still plays the old games, otherwise, no way in hell.  Also, my free time gets shorter every day, and I play a lot of games.  There are many that I won't have come close to finishing by the time Xbox Next comes out, and I will want to go back to them.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Raintitan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2004, 04:37:23 PM »

Raven VII,

Using the Apple is an example is absolutely what I'm talking about.

It would be a $300ish Apple that was even easier to use, fast as hell (have you seen the rumored specs?Wow), and able to handle a keyboard/mouse.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2004, 07:10:22 PM »

And be windows based. No offense to mac people, they are great machines, but when I have had one in the past I felt trapped because of the os. Not as much software out for it. But its been a few years, maybe that has gotten better.

I think a pc xbox is a dangerous move for MS. But maybe it will pay off. Im really hoping for a handheld from them soon.
Draco
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2004, 11:16:41 PM »

Quote from: "Fellow"

I thought so...

Quite a few, actually. Grandia, Star Ocean 2, Final Fantasy Chronicles & Anthology, etc. etc.

But for a vast majority of games, PS1 and N64 games looked and played like ass.  Same as SNES. I occassionally play some of the best SNES and PS1 games.

But current generation games are pretty excellent. There are many games I could easily come back to. And I'll be there will be several games in the XBOX2/PS3 generation that look like ass too.  Even in this generation.  Whiplash looked like it was made for a PS1, but didn't come out until 3 years into the generation cycle.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: