http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 12:23:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox Live may be hacked  (Read 3091 times)
Kagath
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2011, 12:57:36 AM »

That sucks. I'm surprised that people haven't went to the mainstream to complain about this problem yet. MS might not be able to be sued anymore but a bad slight on the public image of the Xbox brand may help matters.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2011, 01:12:27 AM »

Here's an interesting interview about Xbox Live security and hacked accounts with Stephen “Stepto” Toulouse.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2011, 03:41:20 AM »

i saw you log in a few times this afternoon.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2011, 04:06:58 AM »

Quote from: naednek on December 19, 2011, 03:41:20 AM

i saw you log in a few times this afternoon.

Any time that I was logged in and supposedly playing FIFA 12 today was the mystery thieving jackass and not me.  I didn't actually turn my xbox on today until the Live support rep asked me to boot up and give them my console ID and serial number.  When I started up my 360, it signed in to Live and immediately gave me a notice that my account was last accessed using a different console.  Apparently, someone got access to my account, logged on with another xbox, and used FIFA 12 to spend all the points on my account.  Fortunately, they only spent about $20 worth of points and sent a single friend invitation, but didn't manage to charge anything new to my credit card or lock me out of my own account.  I'm hoping that it doesn't take MS too long to establish that the points weren't spent from my xbox, refund them back, and unlock my account again.  Time will tell...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 04:10:13 AM by disarm » Logged

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2011, 09:50:37 PM »

Quote from: disarm on December 19, 2011, 12:14:51 AM

I tried logging in to xbox.com this evening to redeem a free avatar t-shirt code I received from MS a couple days ago and it wouldn't accept my password.  I did a password reset through the website, got into my account, and found that someone has used almost all the marketplace points in my account (1560 to be exact) to purchase FIFA Ultimate packs.  I immediately called MS and my account is now suspended while they investigate...a process that could take 25 days or more according to the rep.  You would think this FIFA problem is widespread enough at this point that they would do something to prevent the issue, but I guess those of us affected are just out of luck for now.

In the meantime, I'm locked out of accessing my own account, but my Live profile continues to show that someone else is playing FIFA 12 with my gamertag mad

sorry to hear this Disarm,you would think after it always being Fifa(and i have heard one or two cases with it being Madden) then surely it would be the EA Sports servers..it can't be a coincidence that no otehr games are showing,whatever it is i hope Microsoft get to the bottom of it

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2011, 01:46:24 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on December 19, 2011, 09:50:37 PM

sorry to hear this Disarm,you would think after it always being Fifa(and i have heard one or two cases with it being Madden) then surely it would be the EA Sports servers..it can't be a coincidence that no otehr games are showing,whatever it is i hope Microsoft get to the bottom of it

Apparently FIFA is just the game of choice because it's easy to make purchases for that game with Marketplace points that can then be resold for real money.  I can't imagine how the EA servers could have been used to access my account considering that I've not played an EA game online in a very long time (last was Mass Effect 2 in February), and I've never touched any FIFA or Madden on my 360.  I don't know how this mess happened...just hope it's fixed soon...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2011, 05:07:19 AM »

I still havent got my account back.  I just got an email from live that gave me another 30 day temp code.  This is the 3rd one.  I'm not sure what is so hard about migrating my account from Brazil to the USA.  It's now over two months and counting.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2011, 05:18:32 AM »

There is at least one guy on Shacknews that filed a complaint with the BBB. I guess within a reasonably short amount of time they contacted him about it and put him on the fast(er) track to getting it fixed.

Worth a shot. Guy's name on the Shack is 'soggybagel'. That's what I will do if it happens to me.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 05:20:39 AM by Kagath » Logged

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2011, 06:14:31 AM »

I know for a fact that for some months now many attempts have been made on both my Hotmail account and XBL account which are unified. I noticed that it started right around the time my account for the Neverwinter Nights 2 Bioware forum got hacked along with many other users. That account was associated with my hotmail email address and I think my setting a new, strong password at the time was the only thing that prevented my XBLA account from being hacked. I've also noticed that there's been lots of attempt to use my Hotmail email for WoW, AoC and a few other MMO registrations.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 06:36:20 AM by kronovan » Logged
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2011, 05:27:59 AM »

This just happened to me. I'm talking to Ron tomorrow and plan to escalate this to our MS rep ASAP. This is bullshit.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2011, 07:44:12 AM »

Apparently this has happened to Tom Chick and Geoff Keighley as well.

http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2011/11/07/taking-a-seat-in-microsofts-month-long-backlog-of-xbox-live-hacking-cases/

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2011/11/25/geoff-keighley-says-his-xbox-account-was-hacked/

From Tom Chick:

“Look, I’m not going to give you the PR line. I know you’re in the business and you don’t need me to give you the PR line.” I had told John that my job is writing about games and that this is exactly the time of year when I can’t afford to be without Xbox Live for a month. “So let me just say that the reason it takes so long is because the problem is so widespread. We’re having to deal with so many cases that’s just how long it takes for each individual case. The new dashboard upgrade that I’m sure you know about will partly help us deal with that. But for now, there’s nothing I can do about it.”

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2011, 09:48:37 AM »

It does sound like a new update is coming though. I wonder what they are going to do for future prevention.

disarm

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2012, 01:07:15 AM »

22 days after my account was hacked, I'm back online...got an e-mail from the investigative team today that they straightened everything out and unlocked my account.  After resetting my password and security info and redownloading my profile to my 360, I'm back on Live and have all my marketplace points returned like nothing happened.  They've also given me codes for two months of Live Gold access since the whole process started.  While I'm not crazy about it taking three weeks to fix the problem, I can't really complain about the end result or simplicity of the process. 

Now if only there were a way to get FIFA 12 taken off my profile...can't let people think I've started playing sports games icon_wink

*Gamertag - disarm78*
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2012, 05:36:55 PM »

Interesting article here from CVG(Tumblr) about a girl who found out a Polish gamer bought XBL account from a website

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/331375/new-xbox-live-account-hacking-case-detailed/

Receiving little support from Microsoft, she managed to work out that her account had been sold to a Polish Xbox gamer on a website called Tradetang. There are currently well over 1,000 Xbox Live accounts with large numbers of illegally purchased points attached to them up for sale on the site.

* Step One: Obtain username/password of account currently in use (I cannot work out how he obtains this information)
    * Step Two: Purchase Family 'Gold' Pack for the hacked account (this means he can now transfer points between the accounts he lists on the family pack)
    * Step Three: Purchase 10,000 MS Points (4000/6000)
    * Step Four: Create multiple (number unknown) brand new Xbox accounts (typically American accounts)
    * Step Five: Transfer all purchased points to these accounts (divide among multiple accounts or send full amount straight to a single one)
    * Step Six: Sell the account that has these points on to people, charging a smaller amount than Microsoft would charge for the points alone
    * Step Seven: Rinse, repeat, profitprofitprofit!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 05:38:27 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2012, 10:56:49 PM »

Microsoft responds

you remember their statement last year after the 'Xbox Live has been hacked' rumours?..well they say pretty much the same thing here

Bob

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2012, 12:09:44 AM »

Yeah, they keep insisting it's phishing and social engineering.  But they never say WHO is being phished and engineered.  Are people still conning the Microsoft help line?

Anyway, the problem seems to be with Microsoft NOT users.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2012, 12:56:40 AM »

Pretty quick turn around for getting everything fixed for this person after the public shaming.

But they didn't even bother to respond to the issue where they told her the account was locked when it apparently wasn't then after some more charges made told Susan they were unable to lock the account.

There's no way it should have had to gotten to the point where the customer feels like they have to investigate to figure out whats going on.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2012, 10:48:55 PM »

Hmm. Fraudulent charges on the card associated with my XBL account this morning.  No signs it's linked to Live, but I don't think I'll put the new card number on my xbox account.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2012, 02:17:06 AM »

Quote from: Hrothgar on January 08, 2012, 10:48:55 PM

Hmm. Fraudulent charges on the card associated with my XBL account this morning.  No signs it's linked to Live, but I don't think I'll put the new card number on my xbox account.

Just to make sure it's not associated with Live, you should go to billing.microsoft.com and log in to your account to see if there's been any recent activity.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2012, 06:24:27 AM »

Random thought - it's a total, utter, and royal pain in the ass to actually remove said credit card from Microsoft's file (just tried to do so a little bit ago). From my understanding, the ONLY way you can remove it is:

1) You have Auto-Renewal turned off.
2) Your subscription runs out (assuming 1 is set to off).

Fucking cocksuckers. I sure as hell don't trust them with my info anymore. Makes me glad that they currently have an expired credit card attached to their files.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2012, 01:42:30 PM »

how are you doing it Destructor,took me 30 seconds last month to remove two credit cards,i still have auto renewal on and i am still gold

from dash>>settings>>>Account>>>Manage Payment Options>>>Remove Payment Option

The only thing is that at the moment 'it can't retrieve info from XBL please try again later'(that is what is currently coming up for me anyway),but it was fine and fast last month

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2012, 02:09:34 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on January 09, 2012, 01:42:30 PM

how are you doing it Destructor,took me 30 seconds last month to remove two credit cards,i still have auto renewal on and i am still gold

The only thing is that at the moment 'it can't retrieve info from XBL please try again later'(that is what is currently coming up for me anyway),but it was fine and fast last month

from what I've seen, even when you 'remove' it that way, it's actually still there but disabled.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2012, 02:48:11 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 09, 2012, 02:09:34 PM

from what I've seen, even when you 'remove' it that way, it's actually still there but disabled.

well i only have one credit card there now instead of 3,unless you mean its still on their books,but not sure how i would find that out

Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2012, 05:48:25 PM »

It turns out Xbox Live is off the hook.  I apparently made the same decision the last time I changed my credit card number (after the Sony hack).  So Microsoft never had this number.  I guess I just need to stop buying things online.

Is that even possible?

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2012, 05:53:28 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on January 09, 2012, 02:48:11 PM

well i only have one credit card there now instead of 3,unless you mean its still on their books,but not sure how i would find that out

Its when you try to remove the last creditcard things become fun - up'n till then its all fun and games, but they WANT at least one card there.

A new one
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2012, 06:31:10 PM »

I had to do this as I had gotten a deal on a 12m live service last year but the auto renewal was still on and I couldn't get it to turn off for some reason.  well, the card was expired before the auto renew date and wouldn't let me kill it as it was still showing a "past balance due" 

I had it resolved after calling in to live support.  took about 5 minutes to sort it out.

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2012, 06:36:08 PM »

I know my two credit card companies have utilities that let you set up temporary account numbers to make online purchases.  Next time I make one, I'll likely be changing my active card to one of these numbers that "expires" in short order and removing my real number.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2012, 08:36:31 PM »

wow what an awesome feature is
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2012, 08:45:48 PM »

Here's a Consumerist article from 2007 about the practice.  A quick search shows that the PayPal one mentioned was shut down in 2009. 

And for reference, my two companies that have them are Citibank and Discover.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2012, 10:10:59 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on January 09, 2012, 05:53:28 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on January 09, 2012, 02:48:11 PM

Its when you try to remove the last creditcard things become fun - up'n till then its all fun and games, but they WANT at least one card there.

ahh that might explain why i get that 'please come back later' notice,FWIW it's actually a debit card i have on there,not a credit card...also it must of been longer than a month ago when i took the other two off,because i remembered that it was with the NXE that i did it with,not the current dashboard

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: