http://gamingtrend.com
August 29, 2014, 08:20:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox Live may be hacked  (Read 2980 times)
Razgon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« on: September 28, 2011, 01:35:09 PM »

So, there's some ugly rumours going around about Xbox live and it may having been hacked. I just checked my own account on live, and after one failed password entry, suddenly got account locked due to "too many tries with wrong password".

While there may be nothing to it, I'd advice everyone to check their account and possbily remove credit card details or change it.

There's a few threads over at Qt3 where a LOT of people have been hacked within the last 14 days. http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?t=66686

Stay Safe!

A new one
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 01:43:04 PM »

At the very least now would be a good time to make your password something ridiculously long and complicated.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 01:43:49 PM »

A few users here, including myself, have experienced the same.

http://gamingtrend.com/forums/console-gaming/xbox-live-account-gone/

http://gamingtrend.com/forums/off-topic/hacked-watch-your-xbox-live-accounts/msg809111/#msg809111
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 04:46:04 PM »

Lately I have been seeing the "too many attempts to log in" notice even when just going to my Hotmail account (which is also my Live account), so I assumed people are trying to hammer in passwords or something.  This doesn't mean it was  hacked, but it means people are certainly trying.

I'm just following the normal procedure of scanning my system for trojans or other malware, changing passwords to something suitably complex, and making sure I don't use the same password on multiple sites.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 04:59:32 PM »

my Hotmail account that is linked to my Xbox Account was hacked a few days ago,it sent an email from my account to everyone in my contacts,so i had an email sent to friends,relatives and even people i had sent a job application to

it was a bit of a wake up call to delete all the unwanted people from my contacts,and i changed the password

not noticed anything with my Xbox account yet,i hope it doesn't get hacked because i have my MS points on there for next weeks Crysis

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 08:00:47 PM »

I've noticed the same thing with my @hotmail address (about how it needs to verify if I'm a human because of too many attempts and such). Quite annoying.

And definitely time to lengthen the password by a few letters, too.

Remember - it's not about making the password complicated, it's about making it long:

(or http://xkcd.com/936/ if the direct image doesn't work)

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 08:13:39 PM »

Well, if they have lock-outs after a few tries it doesn't really need to be long either.
JayDee

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 08:17:36 PM »

Changed my password just now to be safe.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 09:19:43 PM »

Also note that in the security options you can change Hotmail to use HTTPS by default, which it doesn't normally do.  I would suggesting turning that on unless you fall into one of their cases where that isn't a good option (they tell you before turning it on).

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 10:00:40 PM »

If you try to even sign in on xbox.com right now you get "this service is not available".

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 11:13:09 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on September 28, 2011, 10:00:40 PM

If you try to even sign in on xbox.com right now you get "this service is not available".

Xbox.com page has not shown for me ever since about a month after the update,as i hated the new Xbox.com design i was not too bothered

Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 11:52:31 PM »

My account was hacked last week.  Someone charged 10000 points to my account and changed the region to Brazil.  I registered a complaint with support.  I'm locked out from changing the region back as your only allowed to do it once per year.  So far I'm still out the bucks for the points.   They tell me it can take close to a month to get a complaint like this resolved. 
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 12:04:15 AM »

Quote from: Kurt Stevens on September 28, 2011, 11:52:31 PM

So far I'm still out the bucks for the points. 

Did you dispute the charge with your credit card company? The should issue you a credit right away and then follow-up with Microsoft.
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 12:14:15 AM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on September 29, 2011, 12:04:15 AM

Quote from: Kurt Stevens on September 28, 2011, 11:52:31 PM

So far I'm still out the bucks for the points. 

Did you dispute the charge with your credit card company? The should issue you a credit right away and then follow-up with Microsoft.

This +1

I got refunded by my bank in 2 working days. However with Microsoft i am at day 59

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 03:35:18 AM »

Had my Live account hacked a few times before. They take a while, but usually set things straight. Finally got fed up and changed my gamer tag.

No card attached to any of my accounts for anything anymore though.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
soulbringer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 09:26:14 AM »

Yeah I had mine hacked back in August.  Took em about 3 weeks to straighten it out but they did. 
USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2011, 06:11:42 PM »

It took Microsoft support 65 days but I finally have my gamertag/account back. I'm fine with just sticking to gold subscriptions & MS point cards from now on.

Semper Fidelis

Nonnahob

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2011, 06:38:05 PM »

One of my buddies just had his account compromised, MS says 25 day minimum to get his access back.

I've removed all credit cards but the one for my Gold subscription... which apparently changed recently so I can't make any purchases on xbox live anyway... some garbage about "recurring purchases" not being allowed.

With Amazon.com and others offering online codes available instantly, I don't see a reason to keep my card on there anymore. If I need points fast, I can buy a code online - don't even have to go to the store anymore.

X360 - Nonnahob

A few nights ago I played a while with Hardon and we had a good time. - PhillyPeteRock
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2011, 07:03:25 PM »

Just logged in online looks fine.  Whew...i'm one of those that recently changed from a troubadour password to a troubadourcorrecthorsebatterystaple password but not eventhing has been changed to longer forms yet....xbox live hadn't, so i'm thankful and changing it to mega length now.

Their site is slow as shit and sometimes only half loading pages right now though so i'm guessing lots of folks loggin in and changing passwords etc today.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2011, 12:17:35 PM »

Yeah, lots of people have been having problems. I got the whole "too many attempts" error on my hotmail account a few weeks back and changed my password to a really long one. MS really needs to make some sort of statement on this, since there are way too many people that are being hacked now for it too be a just a isolated incedent.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2011, 10:18:08 PM »

It took over a month to get my account back when i was hacked last month.    I took all my credit cards off Xbox and PS3 while i was at it.    I'll use prepaid cards for now on for my purchases.   Good thing that came out of my hacking is they gave me 2 free months of Xbox live for the hassles.

pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2011, 08:13:42 PM »

My sons acct was hacked and Microsoft fixed it they gave him 2 free months too.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
snoleopard
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2011, 08:07:33 PM »

I got onto my Xbox last night, it said there was an update, and I allowed the update, then when I needed to sign in after it updated itself, it said I'd need to recover my profile. I never had this happen before, so I turned on my computer, signed into Xbox Live site, and found out how to do that. Went back to the Xbox, recovered my profile, and found that someone had used over 800 of my points I had to buy Madden (12?) I think, or maybe it was just to use my account to play the demo. My downloads said I got the 'Clockwork Tattoo', which I can't even find and I never bought. How do they do this? I don't have a CC attatched to my account at all, I buy the cards when there is something I want, I was able to log into the Xbox Live site online with my computer right away, so my password wasn't changed, I'm something of a loner with the Xbox, have never played a co-op, multiplayer, or any other game of that type on the Xbox, single player only, so I just don't understand how someone could have gotten into my xbox. Does everyone sign in all the time when they get on, as I've always, (since the first xbox came out through now) let the machine remember my password and just log me in when I turn it on. I don't have Wi-Fi, I use a cord from my pc to my xbox when I want to use it, and I just can't think of a way they get into other peoples Xbox's. Do they do it online? My password was really long (the reason I let xbox log me in), but I changed it anyway, so how did they get into my account unless they did indeed guess my password. Am I supposed to log myself in just to be safe? Should I also change my gamertag and/or my email address? Any insight on this would be appreciated.

The quiet one.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2011, 10:49:26 PM »

as you mention Madden i think its an EA Server issue,because i read this yesterday

http://www.eurogamer.net/forum_thread_posts.php?thread_id=219928&start=0

the title of the thread is 'Fifa/EA Servers Leaving XBLA Accounts Open To Hacking'

Well that was interesting...

Tried to log in to XBLA last night only to find that my gamertag has been 'recovered' to someone elses machine.

I then find out that I've had 5000 then 500 MS points bought on my credit card. Better yet, all the points including the 120 I had already on my account are gone ...all spent on FIFA 12 content packs yesterday afternoon while I was at work.

Not only that, but my account now has 35 FIFA 12 achievement points on it !!! Never played the game in my life - hate football.

Cancelled my credit card, changed my passwords and contacted MS this morning.

From the chat I've had it appears that this is a known issue. As you know EA host their own servers and the MS employee has told me that there is an issue with EA's servers that leaves my XBLA account details vulnerable - and therefore my credit card open to fraudulent use.

the guy also put this link in his post when saying he isn't the only one

http://thegooster.wordpress.com/2011/09/28/xbox-live-users-hacked-victims-in-the-name-of-eas-fifa-dlc/

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2011, 11:04:46 PM »

If that is true I would love to see the backlash on it smack EA square in the face.  They insisted that they have full access to all member's live info or they wouldn't be on the xbox.  MS gave it to them, and then they fail to protect that info.  This could be huge.   icon_eek

I wouldn't doubt it has something to do with EA servers either.  A large number of the people I know who have been hacked have had Fifa bought and played on their account after it.  Either that or only soccer fans hack slywink
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2011, 01:02:25 AM »

Yeah, it's a good thing that EA insists upon running their own servers like a bunch of jackholes...

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2011, 02:24:00 AM »

Makes me so glad I can go into XBL and remove my credit card info and turn off auto-renew so quickly and easily.

No, wait, I can't. It's a pain in the ass and requires you to actually CALL Microsoft to do it.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2011, 04:58:54 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 14, 2011, 02:24:00 AM

Makes me so glad I can go into XBL and remove my credit card info and turn off auto-renew so quickly and easily.

No, wait, I can't. It's a pain in the ass and requires you to actually CALL Microsoft to do it.

you can now take off your credit cards yourself through the 360,not sure how long it has been a feature for because i was surprised when i found the option yesterday and i finally took my mothers Credit Card off icon_biggrin

go to the account Management in 'My Xbox',and then go to 'Manage Account' and then 'Manage Payment Options' and 'Remove Payment Option'

although i am not sure about turning off auto renew,i guess that will turn it off when removing the credit card

« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 05:03:10 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2011, 04:53:15 PM »

http://consumerist.com/2011/10/i-watched-live-as-id-thieves-spent-my-money-on-xbox-live.html

There is way more to this story than what MS is admitting at this point, I fear....

USMC Kato

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2011, 05:02:29 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on October 14, 2011, 04:53:15 PM

http://consumerist.com/2011/10/i-watched-live-as-id-thieves-spent-my-money-on-xbox-live.html

There is way more to this story than what MS is admitting at this point, I fear....

Exact same thing happened to me when I got hacked, except I was home when I got the email that someone purchased 10,000 ms points.

Semper Fidelis

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2011, 05:10:13 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on October 14, 2011, 05:02:29 PM

Quote from: Hetz on October 14, 2011, 04:53:15 PM

Exact same thing happened to me when I got hacked, except I was home when I got the email that someone purchased 10,000 ms points.

I haven't been hacked yet, thank goodness....but I just took off all payment options on my account, except for an expired credit card (that expired in 2007) that MS wouldn't let me remove on the website cause my Gold Subscription was tied to it.

Anyway....here is another article today about this mess....looks like after ignoring this for the most part, the gaming media is starting to smell blood in the water, so to speak....

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/10/xbox-live-users-experiencing-hacked-accounts-fifa-11-and-12-purchases.ars

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2011, 05:12:05 PM »

Oh also....

To anyone that's had this happen to them, Patrick Klepek from GiantBomb put out the call for emails from people who've been hacked on his twitter. It's possible he's going to do a story on it.

[email protected]

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2011, 06:11:12 PM »

I don't really understand what's going on here. If people are using your account to download DLC, how are they benefiting from this? Isn't it just your account that gets this stuff? Do they just play with your account until they get caught, and then get left with nothing? And if they transfer ownership of purchases to other accounts somehow, can't Microsoft just identify which accounts are receiving the stuff and lock them?
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2011, 07:20:31 PM »

Looks like someone tried to brute force my Windows Live password. No evidence that they got in though.

Just got the "you've tried to enter the wrong password too many times" message when I tried to log in just now.
snoleopard
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2011, 07:46:19 PM »

I don't know how it works either. I do know that when I saw the Madden and knew I'd never downloaded it, I went to my current/pending downloads, and it said Madden had been downloaded to a different xbox than mine. I don't know how someone did that, and I only have the one Xbox. Don't know what the 800 points were spent on, because in my xbox, Madden is a lot more than 800 points to buy, and nothing else shows up in the download. Thanks for the answers though. Looks like a lot of people have had this happen though.

The quiet one.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2011, 11:13:53 PM »

Giantbomb's article is up:

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/microsoft-ea-claim-fifa-isnt-causing-rash-of-xbox-live-hacks/3746/

Of course the official line is basically: It's the users fault for being idiots and giving people their passwords or not having good enough security/passwords. Typicial.  frown

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2011, 06:44:00 AM »

I love this comment in the article:

This actually happened to me 2 weeks ago while I was at work. Saw bunch of emails of xbox live about buying points. who ever got my account bought 300 bucks worth of points. I call Microsoft and my account got put on hold. I asked the Microsoft person if this has been happening a lot. she told me not at all. Then called Visa and the manager told me he say this very thing happen 8 times that day. As a customer of Microsoft and EA they should warn people about this. and i have to wait 30 days to get money back. not cool.

Yeesh.

Bob

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2011, 02:22:30 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 14, 2011, 06:11:12 PM

I don't really understand what's going on here. If people are using your account to download DLC, how are they benefiting from this? Isn't it just your account that gets this stuff? Do they just play with your account until they get caught, and then get left with nothing? And if they transfer ownership of purchases to other accounts somehow, can't Microsoft just identify which accounts are receiving the stuff and lock them?

My understanding is that the DLC for FIFA 12 are like trading card packs with randomized players.  These can then be traded to other people.   Check ebay for FIFA 12 auctions.

I believe that we're seeing so many Live hacks now because FIFA 12 is essentially allowing MS points to be converted into cash.

FIFA may not be the source of the breach, but FIFA is what's making Live accounts with attached credit cards a monetizable resource for account hackers.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 02:24:37 PM by Bob » Logged
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2011, 03:48:53 PM »

That makes sense. Thanks!
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2011, 12:14:51 AM »

I tried logging in to xbox.com this evening to redeem a free avatar t-shirt code I received from MS a couple days ago and it wouldn't accept my password.  I did a password reset through the website, got into my account, and found that someone has used almost all the marketplace points in my account (1560 to be exact) to purchase FIFA Ultimate packs.  I immediately called MS and my account is now suspended while they investigate...a process that could take 25 days or more according to the rep.  You would think this FIFA problem is widespread enough at this point that they would do something to prevent the issue, but I guess those of us affected are just out of luck for now.

In the meantime, I'm locked out of accessing my own account, but my Live profile continues to show that someone else is playing FIFA 12 with my gamertag mad

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: