http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 02:34:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XBox Live Update - I'm rantingly pissed!  (Read 1847 times)
mytocles
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 30, 2006, 10:31:30 PM »

Was I supposed to know about this or something?  :evil:

I was playing Condemned - which is apparently a checkpoint-only game (why do they bother giving you all those save files, anyway?)...  I was easily 20 minutes past the last checkpoint, searching for those stupid birds and metal pieces - I have no memory, so I have no idea what I had accomplished at that point.  Suddenly it said that I was disconnected from XBox Live... right about 5 PM Eastern time.  Since I'm using the cable, not wireless, I thought, hmmm, that's odd!  I did the update, loaded my last save... and sure enough, was back to the checkpoint, 20 - 30 minutes back.

I'm really, really, really pissed!  Did it happen to anyone else?  Does this happen often?  Should I have known to do something I didn't do?

Damn, damn, damn!!! I hate repeating stuff that I shouldn't have to! *Shakes fist in outrage at the Universe!!!*

Markus - I hope you weren't on Zuma level 9-5 when it happened (if you were still on).  :cry:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 10:34:48 PM »

Wait, so when you got d/c from Live, you got kicked from your Condemned game?  I was having 'net problems last night while playing Condemned, but just got the notification that I wasn't on live anymore.  It didn't actually kick me from the game.

Man, that sucks.  The save system on Condemned is touchy, though.  I had a couple of corrupt saves that set me back a couple hours.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 10:38:05 PM »

Wow, this is really the 'fix all known problems with Xbox360/Live' patch that they hyped it to be.  :roll:

* Improvements to the Xbox Guide.

* Option to retain your saved games when you delete a profile.

* Increased accuracy of "last time played."

* Network configuration improvements for Xbox Live members in the Netherlands.

* More detailed messaging for unreadable disk or region errors.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 10:53:48 PM »

Wait, so when you got d/c from Live, you got kicked from your Condemned game?

Actually, I'm not sure (I hate my memory, almost as much as this event!) - I can't remember what happened after the update - oh, I  know one thing... I was still disconnected from Live.  Umm... I think right after the Update  I  loaded my last save,  not knowing I wasn't back on Live after the update (I'm still not that used to realizing that I'm actually on Live even though I'm playing a single player game).  Somewhere along the line, I realized that, re-connected, and tried again... still no luck, back at the checkpoint.  Somewhere in this whole mess there was a "continue" option, but I just automatically loaded my last save, thinking it was a save-anywhere game.  Maybe I screwed it up by not choosing continue... but still, could I have if I'd been disconnected?

And, is that all the save files are good for - loading the start of your last checkpoint?  Seems redundant! Redundant...

I hope the update was worth it - oh, wait, I don't live in the Netherlands, so it probably wasn't!  Grrr... I'm still pissed! :angry:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 11:03:02 PM »

This is not the fix all problems update.  This was just a dashboard update.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 11:18:11 PM »

I really, really hate the integration of Live profiles and save game profiles.  I was having internet difficulties one evening and couldn't play NFS:MW single player without being signed into Live.  Ridiculous.  

Myto, I had something very similar happen with Condemned my first day
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 11:23:41 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
I really, really hate the integration of Live profiles and save game profiles.  I was having internet difficulties one evening and couldn't play NFS:MW single player without being signed into Live.  Ridiculous.  

Kevin, that makes no sense. Yes, you'd have to be signed on to your profile, but that's got nothing to do with whether or not you are connected to live. There must be another explanation.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 12:30:42 AM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"
Wow, this is really the 'fix all known problems with Xbox360/Live' patch that they hyped it to be.  :roll:

* Improvements to the Xbox Guide.

* Option to retain your saved games when you delete a profile.

* Increased accuracy of "last time played."

* Network configuration improvements for Xbox Live members in the Netherlands.

* More detailed messaging for unreadable disk or region errors.
We get it. You are a Nintendo fanboi. We don't care that you don't like anything else.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2006, 01:17:28 AM »

Quote from: "Misguided"
Kevin, that makes no sense. Yes, you'd have to be signed on to your profile, but that's got nothing to do with whether or not you are connected to live. There must be another explanation.

When I selected to load my profile it automatically tried to log onto live, was unable, and consequently told me that I would be unable to save my game or load my profile.  If I elected to continue I would have had to use a whole new profile.  

I've heard of similar issues with DOA4.  

Maybe someone can disconnect their ethernet cable and try to load their save game in NFS and verify?  I can only report what happened to me and that it cleared itself up as soon as my internet connection came back.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2006, 01:29:31 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Maybe someone can disconnect their ethernet cable and try to load their save game in NFS and verify?  I can only report what happened to me and that it cleared itself up as soon as my internet connection came back.

I've been over at a friend's place and he had no issues booting up NFS without the ethernet cable plugged in. Hell - he'd plug it in just before the 'important' races (where you'd earn achievement points for winning), log into Live and keep on playing, only to pull the plug (as I was using it) right afterwards.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2006, 03:19:22 AM »

Quote from: "Kagath"
We get it. You are a Nintendo fanboi. We don't care that you don't like anything else.

Wow.  Talk about your unjustified and nasty personal attacks.   :shock:

Heck, just for logic's sake (curse you, logic, and your foul temptations!), why would Dimmona buy a 360 if he doesn't like anything but Nintendo?

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2006, 04:08:02 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
I've been over at a friend's place and he had no issues booting up NFS without the ethernet cable plugged in. Hell - he'd plug it in just before the 'important' races (where you'd earn achievement points for winning), log into Live and keep on playing, only to pull the plug (as I was using it) right afterwards.

You're right- I just tried it without the ethernet cable pluged in and it signed onto my profile but not into Live.  So it looks like it was something buggy about NFS:MW itself instead of anything to do with Live integreation.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2006, 05:19:15 AM »

Quote from: "Farscry_Redux"
Quote from: "Kagath"

Wow.  Talk about your unjustified and nasty personal attacks.   :shock:

Heck, just for logic's sake (curse you, logic, and your foul temptations!), why would Dimmona buy a 360 if he doesn't like anything but Nintendo?

Or say nothing but good things about my Xbox 1, my PS2, and my PSP?  Ok, I hated the MS business model for the Xbox 1 but that doesn't count...

So who is this Kagath again and how long has he been on this board?

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
markus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2006, 05:41:21 PM »

Quote from: "mytocles"
Was I supposed to know about this or something?  :evil:
Markus - I hope you weren't on Zuma level 9-5 when it happened (if you were still on).  :cry:

Actually the update came on when my son turned on the box to go play some Marble Blast Ultra - our new addiction.  I haven't gone back to Zuma since I finally beat level 8, but I'm sure it will lure me back soon!
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2006, 09:33:07 PM »

Ahh, Markus... lucky you!  I'm totally depressed over Condemned now!  When I went back, later that night - it took me 10 minutes to get any save to load - apparently when you "save" in the middle of a checkpoint - you can't load it later, even at the start of the checkpoint!  When I tried to load that latest save, it kept starting the game at the beginning of the game - not even of the checkpoint.  I finally tried to load an earlier save, and it brought me to the beginning of the checkpoint in question - the start of the area that I lost 20-30 minutes of.  

AND - I played that to get back to where I was... then was still exploring the areas I'd already explored - when I stepped into a room - and it ended the level!  I still hadn't found everything I had found up to that point, but it sucked me out of the scene against my will.  So, pissed off all over again!  I was still ticked off by the save system/ checkpoint confusion, not to mention the LIVE UPDATE (!) - and now I'm to the point that I think I'll start the game over, but not right away.  Gotta put another game in as a buffer first... or the "asploding" will ensue!  :evil:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2006, 01:24:49 AM »

mine asked if I wanted to install it. I said no. it prompted me the next time I connected to Live.

If it asks you again, say NO. smile

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2006, 02:55:28 AM »

Quote from: "mytocles"
Ahh, Markus... lucky you!  I'm totally depressed over Condemned now!  When I went back, later that night - it took me 10 minutes to get any save to load - apparently when you "save" in the middle of a checkpoint - you can't load it later, even at the start of the checkpoint!  When I tried to load that latest save, it kept starting the game at the beginning of the game - not even of the checkpoint.  I finally tried to load an earlier save, and it brought me to the beginning of the checkpoint in question - the start of the area that I lost 20-30 minutes of.  

AND - I played that to get back to where I was... then was still exploring the areas I'd already explored - when I stepped into a room - and it ended the level!  I still hadn't found everything I had found up to that point, but it sucked me out of the scene against my will.  So, pissed off all over again!  I was still ticked off by the save system/ checkpoint confusion, not to mention the LIVE UPDATE (!) - and now I'm to the point that I think I'll start the game over, but not right away.  Gotta put another game in as a buffer first... or the "asploding" will ensue!  :evil:

Yeah the save system is totally screwed and pretty useless in Condemend myto, try not to quit until you actually finish a level frown sorry to hear about your problems!
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2006, 05:16:42 AM »

Thanks, Cal - of course, after what I've been through, I know you're right!  It's just that life just isn't like that, lol... it ought to be a law (hmmm, maybe you could work on that?) -  that all games are "save anywhere" - unless you - clearly and purposely - check a box that says "I want to be inordinately challenged by this game, to the point of sheer frustration - and I want to HAVE TO play as long as you say, not as long as I CAN!"

At least it hasn't asked me if I wanted to install it yet, Purge - I will definitely say NO to that!  The damn thing is I was loving the game!  What a stupid way to screw up a great game!

Self, I say:  You know, it is just a game, you really shouldn't get steamed like this.. it - is - just - a - game... (repeat ten times, take drugs to go to sleep!)  :lol:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2006, 04:07:35 PM »

I did the update last night and tried to pay attention to what it did.  You're right - it will dump you in the middle of a game without warning.

I think for the most part, the 360 has spoiled us with warnings about leaving games.  If I try and go to the dashboard, I get the warning that I'm leaving the game and will lose any unsaved progress.

Yet, the update doesn't do that.  It asks if you want to updated.  If you say yes, it immediately closes your game, applies the update and re-boots the system.  

So, make sure you save before you update.  Or just say no.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2006, 05:57:52 PM »

Yeah, except it never asked me... before disconnecting me from Live.  I was playing Condemned, happy as a clam (they are happy, aren't they?) - when suddenly I was "disconnected" -  it probably asked me after that if I wanted to update - that memory is long gone (that's what it looks like from my original post, lol.)  

But the damage had been done, with Condemned anyway - and me being so confused by the whole thing.  It may have been my confusion that did it - if I'd chosen "Continue Game" instead of loading  my last save, which was meaningless, I just didn't know that yet - would that have solved the problem... or not, since I was disconnected.  Still dunno, really...  :?

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2006, 08:59:24 PM »

A few lingering thoughts:

Thanks, Kevin, sometimes it just feels good to be "vindicated" by someone else's experience - even though I feel bad that you had to go through it!

Also - Kagath, what the hell was that all about?  Having a bad day? :?  Dimmona's fine in my book... not to mention the fact that IF he were a fanboi of something - so what?  I have every system, I believe they all have their strengths and weaknesses, and I don't get it when people get offended by someone else expressing their support of a system.  

I guess I should get on my Dreamcast soapbox more often, lol!  Except my Elder Scrolls: Oblivion soapbox is where I've been perched for ages, now...  :lol:

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: