http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 06:24:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: xbox live account hacked...I blame PSN  (Read 1034 times)
ericb
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 12, 2011, 11:47:11 AM »

Anyone else have Xbox live points purchased last night without your authorization?  I had confirmations for 10,000 points purchased sometime around 6am and confirmation on the Xbox billing site but they were also reversed and refunded a few minutes later?  Billing/System error?

EDIT: now I can't tell.  The billing history says refunded but the points history says gifted?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 02:45:25 AM by ericb » Logged
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 01:46:02 PM »

Checked my email and I did not have anything like that.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 06:09:53 PM »

Well, the account was hacked/broken into/etc last night.  Xbox billing said it was flagged as suspicious and refunded automatically.  Basically nothing I can do about it except change my password and keep a watch on it.  Very suspicious at this point because one of the other places I used that password was Sony (PSN and everquest 2).

What a pain in the ass...already blocked and had 2 credit cards re-issued and changed all my financial and game site passwords.  I guess I should go ahead and get the fraud alert put on my credit report too just in case since it looks like I may be one of the "lucky" ones from the Sony breach.

EDIT: wanted to add that the xbox service rep added in the "no worries since this is a paid service unlike PSN so we monitor and help you out in cases like this" line smile
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 09:01:53 PM by ericb » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 06:34:33 PM »

Quote from: ericb on May 12, 2011, 06:09:53 PM

Well, the account was hacked/broken into/etc last night.  Xbox billing said it was flagged as suspicious and refunded automatically.  Basically nothing I can do about it except change my password and keep a watch on it.  Very suspicious at this point because one of the other places I used that password was Sony (PSN and everquest 2).

if you use that email address/password anywhere else I'd change them right away.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 02:27:38 PM »

Delayed reaction, but my account just got hit for 6000 points/$75 this morning around 6:30.  I immediately called in and found out that their support line isn't open until 9am eastern, so I opened an email ticket.  Still waiting to hear back.  Changed my password and tried to take my card off the account, but since it's set to auto renew, I can't, which is annoying. 

I'm confident they'll refund the money, but I need to get a few hundred out of that account in a few days for a trip to Canadia next week, and my cash reserves are lower than I'd like lately.  Stupid hacking.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 02:33:00 PM »

Where are you travelling to?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 02:50:20 PM »

With this rash of haxxing, I've gone in and removed the cc from my account.

Sorry others had to serve as the trailblazers in this matter.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 02:57:36 PM »

Quote from: Purge on August 25, 2011, 02:33:00 PM

Montreal.  Watch out, ladies!

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 03:04:07 PM »

I know there will be the people saying I'm going all 'conspiracy theory' here, but I really think that there are too many people getting hacked in the couple weeks (people that know computers and security mind you) for this to be just phishing.

I am convinced that Blizzard had something going on on the inside and now it looks like maybe MS was compromised as well. 
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 03:13:21 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on August 25, 2011, 03:04:07 PM

I know there will be the people saying I'm going all 'conspiracy theory' here, but I really think that there are too many people getting hacked in the couple weeks (people that know computers and security mind you) for this to be just phishing.

I am convinced that Blizzard had something going on on the inside and now it looks like maybe MS was compromised as well.

I really doubt it's more of a conspiracy beyond the fact that generally the collective 'we' use horrifically bad password security practices.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 03:22:44 PM »

Quote from: ATB on August 25, 2011, 02:50:20 PM

With this rash of haxxing, I've gone in and removed the cc from my account.

Sorry others had to serve as the trailblazers in this matter.

I just tried to remove my payment options, but it wouldn't let me (I am contact Xbox live support now). but until I can get it removed I changed the expiration date, credit number and CC # .....

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 03:31:44 PM »

MS tried to blame my account being hacked on bad password practices also. But my gamertag was tied to a Windows Live account I use for nothing else and the password was just a series of letters, the first of which represented a word in a quote I like. I can't believe that anyone guessed that password and I didn't use that password in any other Playstation/Hotmail/Gmail or other account that could have been compromised.

There's got to be something else going on.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 03:38:25 PM »

Honestly, I'm probably to blame.  I suspect I used the same password on my xbox account as I did on my PSN account, but rarely entered the passwords on either, so I forgot.  However it happened, it should still get reversed. 

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2011, 03:43:15 PM »

Quote from: jament on August 25, 2011, 03:31:44 PM

MS tried to blame my account being hacked on bad password practices also. But my gamertag was tied to a Windows Live account I use for nothing else and the password was just a series of letters, the first of which represented a word in a quote I like. I can't believe that anyone guessed that password and I didn't use that password in any other Playstation/Hotmail/Gmail or other account that could have been compromised.

There's got to be something else going on.

How long was the pw?  Did it contain anything other than letters?  Were the letters a consistent or common case?  A short, random pw is generally not any better than a long, non random pw.

Also did you ever login using anything other than the xbox?  Did you manage via the web, for example?
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 04:33:00 PM »

It was 9 letters, 3 capitalized (the first, sixth and seventh). No punctuation or numbers. 

I don't think I ever logged into xbox.com or used it on the web. I'm certainly to blame for not keeping the Windows Live part current. It had been so long since I logged into it outside of the 360, it was still linked to an e-mail account I haven't had for 3 years. So, when hackers changed my info on the account I didn't receive the notification e-mail.

What's strange is that I hadn't purchased points through my 360 for maybe two years. Last week my daughter wanted to transfer Rock Band 2 songs to RB3 so I purchased enough points through the console for the transfer fee - $4.99 worth. Within an hour of that transaction, the hackers had recovered my account to a modified console, purchased $75 worth of points and transferred them to their account. Can't be a coincidence.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2011, 04:42:06 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on August 25, 2011, 02:57:36 PM

Montreal.  Watch out, ladies!

You heading downtown to St. Catharine's to visit Club Supersex? Tongue A buddy of mine highly recommends it. slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2011, 05:13:30 PM »

Quote from: Purge on August 25, 2011, 04:42:06 PM

Montreal.  Watch out, ladies!

You heading downtown to St. Catharine's to visit Club Supersex? Tongue A buddy of mine highly recommends it. slywink
Uh huh.  ninja2

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2011, 05:19:11 PM »

If not that one, another one.  The group leader does this trip yearly, and apparently has it down to a science.  I anticipate massive hangover.

Interestingly, I bought my first batch of points in a few months last week too.  Wonder if there's a link.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2011, 06:08:01 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on August 25, 2011, 05:19:11 PM

Interestingly, I bought my first batch of points in a few months last week too.  Wonder if there's a link.

I've just been buying my points through Amazon. You get the code right away and there's no tax.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2011, 07:23:35 PM »

Quote from: Kagath on August 25, 2011, 05:13:30 PM

Quote from: Purge on August 25, 2011, 04:42:06 PM

Montreal.  Watch out, ladies!

Uh huh.  ninja2

I was down there late last year, and hadn't gotten the recommendation until AFTER I got back!

*Fist Shaking*

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2011, 07:36:48 PM »

Quote from: gellar on August 25, 2011, 03:13:21 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on August 25, 2011, 03:04:07 PM

I really doubt it's more of a conspiracy beyond the fact that generally the collective 'we' use horrifically bad password security practices.

I've been over this in the blizzard thread and don't want to draw it out again, but I had changed my battle.net password on a freshly formatted pc to a 12 digit upper-lower case with symbol pw and then never used that pw again or logged in to the account.

It was still compromised.  No way in hell it had anything to do with bad security practices unless it was on the other end.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2011, 02:04:37 PM »

i'm still waiting to hear back about my Live account that was hacked last week.   my account is frozen and i'd like to know what the hell is taking so long since i can't play Live games without it.  i already canceled the CC that was attached to the account and my bank has already issued the money back into my account that i called and disputed.

all i want is my Live account back so i can use it.   i also won't be putting a new CC back on it.   

anyone know how to expedite this?    i know they said 7-10 days to investigate, but what the hell takes so long?    i called to report it was hacked and it's pretty obvious it was since shit was changed on the account that hasn't been changed since i started the account years ago.    just change the account settings and tell me what they are so i can use it again.    what the hell!

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2011, 02:11:43 PM »

I guess I've always been so paranoid about using credit cards online that I always go to my local Gamestop and get the appropriate XBL points or subscription card. It's a scary world out there.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2011, 11:20:21 PM »

Last night, I got an email back from them basically saying check the Windows Live billing page, and if there's anything unauthorized, call in.  I finally got a chance to check the page tonight, figuring I'd just be verifying that it was there and then sitting on hold for a while.

Surprisingly, the charge was gone.  I checked my bank, and I'd been credited the $75 back yesterday.  So that's all generally pretty awesome.  I suppose I should log on via my Xbox and make sure everything's working right.  Oh, I guess I'll still have to call to get autorenew turned off so I can remove the card too...

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2011, 07:50:43 PM »

MSFT must love that people are blaming Sony for their accounts getting hacked. Tongue

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: