http://gamingtrend.com
September 21, 2014, 10:46:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XBOX-HDTV help needed  (Read 1074 times)
Punisher
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2004, 12:14:19 AM »

I just purchased an LCD/TV Monitor that has component in and supports the HDTV resolutions (420,780,1024?). I bought a Monster Cable HDTV/XBOX cable as well.

When I hook everything up, I get a spit screen effect where the screen splits in 2 and both side are duplicates I can see the whole screen on each side, just smooshed....

Any ideas what the problem could be?
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 12:15:52 AM »

Some freaky picture in picture setting maybe?

Other than that I'm totally clueless here.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 12:28:27 AM »

You have to enable the HD resolutions in the XBOX dashboard (boot up with no disc in).  

Does thise LCD/TV Monitor support interlaced modes?  If not, you will probalby get funky output in the dashboard, DVD movies and in games that don't support progressive scan modes.  

Other than that, my only other suggestion is to try the official HiDef pack for the video output from the XBox.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 01:13:10 AM »

It has Y Cb Cr inputs. Does that help?

Also I did enable the options in the dashboard. After I enabled them is when it happened.

Here is a link to the product: http://www.syntaxgroups.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=119
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 03:50:34 PM »

Quote from: "EngineNo9"
Other than that, my only other suggestion is to try the official HiDef pack for the video output from the XBox.

I don't think there's a difference. I have both, and the Monster has a better picture (very minor difference, but it's there) ... it's likely due to the breakout box design of the HiDef cables.

As far as your problem with the splitscreen is concerned, I'd suggest (while in the dashboard) to hold down both triggers and press in the two joysticks. this will force the display into 480p mode, as your component in may not accept interlaced signal.

To clarify : There are 4 modes we're talking about.
480i (480 lines, interlaced) - 240 lines drawn per frame - standard output
480p (480 lines, progressive scan) -  480 lines drawn per frame - better output, DVD progressive scan uses this.
720p (720 lines, progressive scan) - 720 lines drawn per frame - HDTV signal, 24bit color, 60fps, is well implemented for sports broadcasts due to the higher framerate.
1080i - (1080 lines interlaced) - 540 lines drawn per frame - 32bit color, 30 frames per second. Both 1080i and 720p use the same bandwidth, where 1080i has a higher resolution but is interlaced and refreshes slower, the color depth is better.

I personally prefer 720p to 1080i display. Amped2 and Xmen Legends are two very well done HD games.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2004, 04:32:56 PM »

Quote from: "Punisher"
When I hook everything up, I get a spit screen effect where the screen splits in 2 and both side are duplicates I can see the whole screen on each side, just smooshed....

Any ideas what the problem could be?

That funky display means that while your console is outputting a 480p (or higher) signal, your TV is currently on standard resolution. Find an option somewhere to change it to a higher signal resolution. On my TV is marked as DTV, or something like that.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2004, 09:56:18 PM »

Well, I broke down and called the monitor company. Turns out that the monitor does NOT support HDTV, which was just a poor assumption on my part. So off to Best Buy to get a replacement....
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2004, 01:48:04 AM »

Quote from: "Punisher"
Well, I broke down and called the monitor company. Turns out that the monitor does NOT support HDTV, which was just a poor assumption on my part. So off to Best Buy to get a replacement....

might I suggest a new TV set?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: