http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 07:35:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XBox DVD drive prob (most likely :)) dying...  (Read 659 times)
Doopri
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2004, 12:43:31 AM »

So what do I do?  Ive got an old xbox w/ thompson drive (bastard!)  I sorta wanna turn in xbox toward new one, but all my saves - Id prob need to buy about 10 memory cards.  can i get a new drive?  without any kind of mods of course i play on live and dont really feel like gettin banned.  is it true i can send it to microsoft even if its not under warrenty?  and is it true that theyll hose me for 100+ bucks in the process?  thanks for any help
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2004, 02:43:48 PM »

If you have the time and a friend with an XBox you might use a memory card to transfer your files over to his XBox until you get your new one.  No clue how many games you play, but if you just look for only the most recent saves of the ones you will definitely use again... seems like you probably shouldn't have to save TOO much.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2004, 05:23:07 PM »

You could also make your own action replay and then transfer the files from memory card to your computer.

Just buy a xbox controller cable extender (so you dont ruin your original) and a usb cable. Follow instructions as from here http://www.fury-tech.com/Modding/Xbox-Controller-PC-Conversion-Mod to connect the wires. This makes a usb cable that will now connect to the xbox controller which your pc will recognize. Then install the appropriate driver. Finally, download the action replay software.

You can also find prebuilt xbox - pc converters if you dont want to make your own. If you can electrical tape a wire together you can do the mod, its just 4 wires. Just match and wrap.

Other sites explain this too. Just search for xbox to pc controller.

croman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2004, 06:01:17 PM »

Quote from: "Doopri1"
So what do I do?  Ive got an old xbox w/ thompson drive (bastard!)  I sorta wanna turn in xbox toward new one, but all my saves - Id prob need to buy about 10 memory cards.  can i get a new drive?  without any kind of mods of course i play on live and dont really feel like gettin banned.  is it true i can send it to microsoft even if its not under warrenty?  and is it true that theyll hose me for 100+ bucks in the process?  thanks for any help

I think the best bet would be to buy a new drive off of Ebay or something and replace it.

Takes about 5 minutes top to actually do it.  I think I paid $30 on ebay for my replacement drive.  It has been about 6 months so I do not remember the exact cost
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: