http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 06:27:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox Conker: Ouch (reviewed)  (Read 2300 times)
dandylife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: June 18, 2005, 03:55:59 AM »

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/626/626725p1.html

8.0 Presentation
The single-player is brilliant in many ways. The spoofs are still funny after all these years. The multiplayer, however, is not very intuitive.
10 Graphics
Awesome, just awesome. A few things look average, but as a whole this is about a pretty as an Xbox game can possibly look.
9.0 Sound
The voice-acting (mostly by one man) is phenomenal and the music is catchy. The sound in multiplayer is perfectly tuned to the chaos on screen.
7.5 Gameplay
The variety of genres and the humor is great, but the multiplayer just isn't all that fun.
7.0 Lasting Appeal
If you can find joy in the multiplayer, this could last you until Xbox 360. I couldn't find that joy.
8.1 OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

When IGN doesn't give a AAA title a 9+, you know there's a problem.  This certainly isn't bad, but, for a high calibur title, it's not great either.  On the plus side, I will very likely be $50 richer come next Tuesday.

U2K Tha Greate$t on the New Orleans flooding: "The issues that happen in NO, is well you aint blind, you know how satan do things, not only that, but did you ever think why the water couldnt go now where?"
mikeg
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 04:08:29 AM »

I too will wait for the ole price droparooni on this one.  I like the Saving Private Ryan demo level, but all of the others I have seen in clips here and there just don't turn my crank.

But I will most definitely rent it when I can find it.  Which as popular as it is likely to be might be awhile.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
RamPanther
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2005, 05:39:23 AM »

I thought the demo was brilliant.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2005, 05:46:05 AM »

I pre-ordered it to get the bonus DVD which I really enjoyed.  I bought the N64 version a little over a year ago for $5 at Toys R Us but never played it since that console isn't hooked up.  Having missed out on the original I look forward to this update.  Not really that interested in multiplayer personally.

BTW, you can find the mockumentary from the DVD on Gametrailers here.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2005, 06:01:22 AM »

I was really looking forward to this game for the multiplayer since IGN talked it up so damn much.  I am really surprised they gave it that low of a score.  It seems like when IGN has all those special features for a game it usually gets a 9+.  Oh well, I guess I'll wait for the gamespot review and probably just rent it.  Maybe that is just $50 that'll go toward the 360.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2005, 09:17:47 AM »

Sounds like it was a "courteous" 8.1 to me...I'll pass. Rental, MAYBE.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2005, 02:07:17 PM »

Another review:

http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/reviews/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&articleid=36292&subsectionid=1606
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2005, 02:19:22 PM »

IN!!

IGN appears to be all over the map (Star Wars, Batman, now this)

I liked the demo too.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2005, 03:35:22 PM »

Basically it sounds like single player rocks but it's the multiplayer that killed it.  Since I don't do Live I'm still looking forward to this game.  Granted, it will be after a price drop or a rental-  I think 50 bucks is a bit steep for a remake.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2005, 04:28:45 PM »

I agree Ceekay. I've got Live but don't play it all that much, and a single-player that gets its grade drop kicked by IGN based solely on the multiplayer sucking is stupid. Or par for the course for them. biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2005, 04:35:45 PM »

"i remember back in the good old days, when an 8.1 WAS a great score because all those new fangled reviewers hadnt arrived and given every game a spinal tappian 11.  back in my day we didnt worry about feelings, and if a game got anywhere near a 9.3, not only was it most likely the digital equivalent of the second coming of christ, it most likely had the "auto jerk" feature implemented"

sorry, that is all
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2005, 05:05:08 PM »

Quote from: "CeeKay"
Basically it sounds like single player rocks but it's the multiplayer that killed it.  Since I don't do Live I'm still looking forward to this game.  Granted, it will be after a price drop or a rental-  I think 50 bucks is a bit steep for a remake.

And here I loved the N64's Conker just because of the single player game (and never played the multiplayer modes). So it looks like this remake would be worth it, too.

Too bad all the jokes are so old (as they were current when the N64 version came out like 6 years ago).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2005, 05:31:27 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

And here I loved the N64's Conker just because of the single player game (and never played the multiplayer modes). So it looks like this remake would be worth it, too.

Too bad all the jokes are so old (as they were current when the N64 version came out like 6 years ago).

Is the Matrix that old?  I've seen screenies with the Matrix parody, but I never realized it had been that long ago.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2005, 06:43:37 PM »

i have Conker for N64 and it's a fantastic game...the single-player game was one of the best released for that console in my opinion.  i'm not sure the xbox version would be worthwhile for someone who played through the original, but if you haven't experienced the SP game yet, it's a blast Cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2005, 07:11:18 PM »

Yeah, Conker on the 64 was great. Too bad it didn't get much love when it came out.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2005, 07:47:34 PM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
Yeah, Conker on the 64 was great. Too bad it didn't get much love when it came out.

a good point...i think it came late enough in the N64's life that everyone was starting to focus on the next gen and didn't care as much.  it did get a lot of great reviews at the time though.  i know i picked it up very late when i just happened to see it on clearance somewhere.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2005, 08:52:45 PM »

Quote from: "disarm"

a good point...i think it came late enough in the N64's life that everyone was starting to focus on the next gen and didn't care as much.
You mean as opposed to now. :wink:

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2005, 09:17:56 PM »

That's exactly what I was thinking: from the end of one console's cycle to the end of another's.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2005, 09:28:45 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

Is the Matrix that old?  I've seen screenies with the Matrix parody, but I never realized it had been that long ago.

Yep - The Matrix came out in April of 99, Conker was released in early 2001.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2005, 10:06:00 PM »

Quote from: "disarm"

a good point...i think it came late enough in the N64's life that everyone was starting to focus on the next gen and didn't care as much.  it did get a lot of great reviews at the time though.  i know i picked it up very late when i just happened to see it on clearance somewhere.

Actually, the reason Conker failed on the N64 was as follows:

1) Absolutely, positively, no coverage whatsoever in Nintendo's 'flagship' magazine, Nintendo Power (due to rating).
2) Giant 'Adults Only' warning sticker on the front of the box, stating that this game was for mature audiences only. Even had a list as to why.
3) The N64 was basically considered a 'kiddie' console (just like the Gamecube is now). Thus, no adult gamers available to buy the game due to #2.

I think the game sold like 50k units, tops. It didn't move any at all. Hense why I've always said - Conker on the N64 was one of the best games on the console that absolutely nobody played.

And I think that #3 is more important than you think - remember a PR piece we posted a week or two ago, stating that Resident Evil finally sold 500k units? Considering how popular Resident Evil is, and the glowing reviews it got from just about everybody, doesn't that seem to be a bit strange that it took that long?

The Gamecube (and as well, the N64) is/was no place for 'mature' rated titles.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2005, 02:06:38 PM »

Im going to wait for a price drop, as I already paid for the game once...

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2005, 03:02:07 AM »

Yeah, same here. This really should be selling new for $29.99 max.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2005, 05:39:29 AM »

I played about halfway through the N64 version.  Then the PS2 came out and I never got back to it (or Majora's Mask).  I'd like to pick this us but I'm afraid the same fate awaits it when the 360 comes out.  I already have a backlog of about 5 games I want to finish up beforehand.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2005, 09:44:09 PM »

I picked this one up today, since I never played the N64 version (I had long since abandoned the N64 by the time Conker came out). I have been dying to play the original Conker game and now I can with majorly updated graphics. It's a great single player game so far. I'm having lots of fun.

I also played a bit of the multiplayer and it is fun. It's not as good as Battlefield 2, but it's nice and fun for a console title. It can also be played using bots, which is awesome.

All in all, I'd give it a low 9 score if you have never played the original game, but a high 7 or low 8 if you have played the original game.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2005, 12:22:28 AM »

Thanks, Hetz - Never played the original.

I'm going to break it open soon!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: