http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 06:36:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox Collection Recommendations  (Read 3060 times)
ElijahPrice
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 08, 2004, 05:58:45 PM »

Alright...this is coated with newbieness...but that said...Hi, I am new here...I like the reviews and thought I would jump on these boards...so now to the meat:

I was a playstation fan up until last thursday when I finally came across enough cash to grab an X-Box.  However, money beyond that is tight.  So I did the obvious...bought the second controller and Halo.

But now with a thin wallet I am stuck to the used shelf?  Any recommendations of which classics to get the most bang for my buck?

EP
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2004, 06:01:52 PM »

Well, what genre are you interested in?  There are a lot of good games you can find in the bargain bin now.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Console Games Best Player
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2004, 06:06:15 PM »

DOA3
Bloodrayne
Crimson Skies
Voodoo Vince

I think they are all under $20.  You can probably get them even cheaper.

I also got Rogue Ops from ebgames.com for $5.99 with a t-shirt! Cool

Have you beaten 1,658 games?  I have.
Siljanus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2004, 07:04:03 PM »

SSX 3!  One of the best snowboarding games evar!

I enjoy the variety of things you can do on the mountain.  Ramps up in difficulty as the game progresses but I still have fun with it.

Let us be thankful we have an occupation to fill. Work hard, increase production, prevent accidents and be happy.

Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy. And be happy.
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2004, 07:06:18 PM »

Quote from: "Siljanus"

I enjoy the variety of things you can do on the mountain.  Ramps up in difficulty as the game progresses but I still have fun with it.

That is classic already?  i bought that for full price just in March or February.  :evil:  If it is, that is a great one.

Siljanus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2004, 07:24:24 PM »

Quote from: "Console Games Best Player"
Quote from: "Siljanus"

That is classic already?  i bought that for full price just in March or February.  :evil:  If it is, that is a great one.

Ouch.  I had checked the ebgames website before I posted and saw that it's selling for $19.99.  If I'm not mistaken, Best Buy had it for $20 recently too?

Let us be thankful we have an occupation to fill. Work hard, increase production, prevent accidents and be happy.

Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2004, 07:31:44 PM »

I guess I bought it right at the wrong time. :oops:

I thought of another $20 game, Midway Arcade Treasures 2 which is coming out next week I think.  It's not a "classics" but it's $20 and has classic games. :!:

THPS3 is $10 and the Hunter games are $20 (Redeemer and Reckoning).

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2004, 07:55:33 PM »

Hmm if you like adventure kinda games Beyond Good and Evil (I think it sold for $20 the day after it was released smile ) RGP fan def grab Morrowind GOTY.  Baldur's Gate is fun addictive co-op so if playin w/ a friend is your thing grab that.  Hmm and if you're lookin to splurge on a full price game I'd say do yourself a favor and pick up Ninja Gaiden, Knights of Old Republic or Prince of Persia dependin on your genre preference.  They ARE that good and youll be proud to have a game you can show off on your new toy!  I second DOA3 if youre a fightin fan (in my opinion BEST FIGHTER EVER! smile )  and Voodoo Vince if platformin is your thing.  Youll be happy though - we have some absolutely NASTY games - and even better stuff on the way
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2004, 07:59:58 PM »

Alright...a little focusing:

1.  I like FPS, Strategy, Action...
2.  I am looking forward to: Halo 2, Halflife 2
3.  I wish I could get Burnout 3, Fable...

The one I saw that looked interesting was Splinter Cell for $6..?

SSX 3 how much?
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2004, 08:04:57 PM »

DOA3 <--SOLD, I'll pick it up

~~~~Haven't heard of any of these??
Bloodrayne
Crimson Skies
Voodoo Vince
~~~~Me go look now

I would love to pick up KOTOR and Ninja Gadien but there still a little pricey like $35...maybe I should bite the bullet and go into credit card debt a little more?  :-)
Siljanus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2004, 08:08:24 PM »

Quote from: "ElijahPrice"
Alright...a little focusing:

SSX 3 how much?

SSX 3 was selling for $20 on ebgames.  I believe that should hold in the brick and mortar store and the game has been out for a while so you'll probably be able to get a better deal on it used.

I'd recommend picking up KOTOR as well since it will occupy alot of your gaming time, thus you won't be pressured to buy more games till it's finished... :wink:

Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2004, 08:24:47 PM »

You can get KOTOR for $20 new.

If you can't wait for Burnout 3, you could always get Burnout 2.  It should be really cheap now.

Brute Force isn't the greatest game, but it is a four-player co-op shooter.  Might help tide you until Halo 2.

SSX3 is great, or even SSX Tricky, and you'll get many many hours on those.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2004, 09:41:43 PM »

Buffy
Ninja Gaiden
Crimson Skies
Prince of Persia
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2004, 11:30:16 PM »

Quote from: "ElijahPrice"
DOA3 <--SOLD, I'll pick it up

~~~~Haven't heard of any of these??
Bloodrayne
Crimson Skies
Voodoo Vince
~~~~Me go look now

I would love to pick up KOTOR and Ninja Gadien but there still a little pricey like $35...maybe I should bite the bullet and go into credit card debt a little more?  :-)

save your pennies... Halo2 is out in less than a month. KOTOR2 is fun, but after going through it as good and evil once, you won't likely visit it again.

I'd suggest getting Live if you at *all* like playing against others, but that's something you'll need to worry about in a month.

I'd also put forward that Burnout3 is an amazing (and long-lived) game and would be worthy of the full sticker price.

When it comes to FPS games, Rainbow Six 3 and Ghost Recon games are entirely too entertaining for their own good; however they're not going to be showing your system off graphically. The Splinter Cell games are very well done, but I found they suffered from the "more of the same syndrome". Hmm, maybe I just have ADD?? slywink I'm bored, lets watch cartoons. *wait* ... back on track!

Strategy? hmmm... PC is your best bet, but there are a few gems out there (I think Gladius is a pretty fine game and an easy buy at less than 20bux). It's like final fantasy tactics.

Panzer Dragoon Orta is terrific if you like arcade-style games .(it's a rail shooter) With a boatload of style and very easy on the eyes, you'll find it hard to regret a used purchase for that gem. The same goes for Otagi; just beautiful.

Tony Hawk 3 or 4 is a worthy investment, or you could get Jet Set Radio Future for a song and a *very* short dance; the game is just as polished and I found it was much more vibrant. You can get Amped 2 and Project Gotham Racing 2 and Mechassault for next to nothing, and Kung Fu Chaos is wickedly fun with multiple people.

Ninja Gaiden is a must; you might luck out on the used bin as it's been at market for about 6months.

I'd recommend KOEI games, but hey, you've already played em on your PS2.

Voodoo Vince is a decent platformer, and Crimson Skies is a blast to play, both off-and-on line. I'm not a big fan of the first BloodRayne, but the second one seems to have addressed the controls issues I had with the first one. I'd suggest renting or borrowing Hunter or Hunter2; even at $15 the games aren't purchaseworthy for me.  It's a monotony thing for me, the games are really simple. I'd go for Bladders Gate: Dark Alliance II first, as there is a more approachable (and more broad) skill tree to develop your character.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2004, 04:01:46 PM »

Hi, ElijahPrice,

you actually probably got here before i did - i came via gonegold.  anyway, if you have a few bucks now, and you're near one of these:  go to Electronics Boutique and buy their card that gives you 10% discount on used games.  the card used to be 7 bucks, but it's gone up (maybe 12-14 ish?).  you get a good game magazine subscription - they're own, "GMR" - and the 10% off.  when you're finances recover to "almost new games" - you'd be surprised how fast new games show up there - they sell used ones for 45, but then take off the 10% making it $40.50.  i got a used D & D Heroes 5 days after it came out, and i just saw a brand new game (used) there last night - sorry, i don't remember which, but it was a "highly desireable" game.

next,  look in the bargain bin for Mace Griffin, Bounty Hunter - it should be about 7 or 8 bucks.  i like it, although no one else seems to talk about it much, not sure why (folks, any input on this?) - it's a bit like a cross between Halo and Unreal II - you shoot soldiers and creatures, fly some, have lots of weapon choices, etc.  there should be several other games you'd like in the bin as well.

another option is eBay, if you're familiar with that, but always check EB Games online prices and eBay "completed listings" prices to be sure you're not paying too much - and don't forget to add the shipping costs, obviously.  if you don't know anything about eBay, or how to do the listings search, emial me, i'd be glad to help.

another option, similar to renting, but cheaper, and you can keep the game as long as you need - is this:  i'd be willing to lend you any game i have that i'm willing to let go out of the house (there're only a few exceptions.)  examples are Mace Griffin, GTA3, Blade II, Max Payne, The Thing, and more.  depending on where you live, the shipping would be around 1.30 - ish (i'd use jewel cases, much lighter), first class USPS.  i wouldn't charge you for my shipping, you can repay the favor someday when you get more games, or with your ps2 games (i recently got a ps2 to play non-Xbox games).

email if interested and good luck!  you're gonna love your XBox!

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Sam Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2004, 04:59:09 PM »

Didn't anyone suggest Riddick?!?!

It's my GOTY, easy. A nice combo of stealth, fighting and straight ahead action. All tied together with a cool story and freakin' amazing (for xbox) graphics.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2004, 05:09:36 PM »

Hey, SAM HELL (what in?),

Isn't Riddick still on the expensive side, even used?

We were trying to stay with the more affordable games, if it's dropped, let me know, because i want one!

thanks

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Sam Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2004, 05:11:28 PM »

Ahh, my bad. I didn't see we were discussing budget/older titles.
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2004, 06:14:18 PM »

Splinter Cell is fantastic.  Well worth $6.

Freedom Fighters is a great strategy/actiony game.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2004, 06:33:12 PM »

sorry DRIVER,

i have to very slightly disagree... i loved it for a while, but the whole thing about not being able to figure out ahead of time what all the stealth rules were, just annoyed me.  drop onto this street you're fine, drop onto another, similar looking one, mission over.  they say they're fixing that problem in the latest version, so i must not have been the only one who had the prob.  

plus,  you have to like a lot of stealth, which i do to some degree, but i only like it when your options for killing folks are a little looser... just me there, though!  

here's the part where i agree!  it does have great graphics, and for 6 bucks, maybe it would be a good one to find out whether you like that much stealth or not (if you don't already know).

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2004, 09:55:44 PM »

Quote from: "Sam Hell"

It's my GOTY, easy. A nice combo of stealth, fighting and straight ahead action. All tied together with a cool story and freakin' amazing (for xbox) graphics.

It's a terrific... 3 day rental. Tongue

I found it to be too short and too easy to buy, but it *was* a blast while it lasted.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2004, 10:15:02 PM »

Quote from: "mytocles"
Hey, SAM HELL (what in?),

Isn't Riddick still on the expensive side, even used?

We were trying to stay with the more affordable games, if it's dropped, let me know, because i want one!

thanks

Don't get me started.  I got screwed with this game.  a few months ago my roomate got it and I started playing it got hooked and then he moved out.  Wha-Wha...  I would love to finish this game but I fear it might go through the cracks because it is too expensive now but in like 3 weeks some really awesome games are coming out... Why god??? WHYYYY DO YOU TORMENT ME THIS WAY??!?  j/k.

EP
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2004, 10:17:31 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"
Quote from: "Sam Hell"

It's a terrific... 3 day rental. Tongue

I found it to be too short and too easy to buy, but it *was* a blast while it lasted.

Really?  Riddick Short?  3 day rental is defintely budget happy.  I was thinking of renting Fable for the same reason?  Any suggestions?

EP
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2004, 10:23:12 PM »

Thanx for the offer mytocles... I keep it in mind.

So this is my updated list in ranking order...I am going out tomorrow (Monday, YEAH COLUMBUS DAY!):

1.Splinter Cell
2.KOTOR
3.Crimson Skies
4.DOA3
~~~if I feel lucky I'll grab:
1.Ninja Gaiden
2.Prince of Persia
3.Chronicles of Riddick

EP
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2004, 10:52:55 PM »

hi, ElijahPrice,

if you have an Electronics Boutique (EB Games) near you, the Sunday paper advertisement listed a pre-played Splinter Cell for $4.99.  They're having a two day sale (today and Columbus Day)...

have fun shopping!

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2004, 02:55:20 AM »

Quote from: "mytocles"
sorry DRIVER,

i have to very slightly disagree...  you have to like a lot of stealth, which i do to some degree, but i only like it when your options for killing folks are a little looser...

Well, I disagree obviously.  I love the first one and love the second even more.  Six bucks is like what you'd pay for a downloadable Xbox Live level or two, but for Splinter Cell, which is truly all about sneaking around and clocking folks on the back of the head, is a gem for that price.  Just an amazing game, in my opinion.  I still play that thing. smile
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2004, 03:36:27 AM »

Yes, Splinter Cell for $4.99... whats next? Kiera Knightley's car breaks down outside my place?...wow....doorbell....freaky.

EP
greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2004, 02:08:15 PM »

Metal Arms is a great experience, and one to be on the lookout for. If you can luck up, Best Buy had it for 5 bucks once, but it seems to hover around the $20 mark at EB/GS. Maybe some of the other usual suspects have it cheaper. But it's worth that $20, IMO.

POP: Sands of Time is a great experience while it lasts. Fun game. -Tons- of amazing production values. Another game with slick production; if you're a Bond fan, Everything or Nothing seems to be at the twenty buck mark, and it's a good game.

If you have a GameRush store (Blockbuster variant) they have a 'buy 2, cheaper one half off' preowned deal. You can rack up, but it depends what titles they have available. If you're in the area and have a shopping list in mind, it's worth checking out.

If you like driving games -at all-, when you have the cash go grab Burnout 3. Great game. Same for Ninja Gaiden, except for action. Both are must have's, I'd say.

I'll have to look at my collection tonight and see if anything else (found on the cheap) jumps out at me.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2004, 02:29:32 PM »

I rented Burnout 3 for XBox and it is awesome but I think it will end witht he rent, there is so many other things to play too.

I played through Bond:EoN on PS2 and found it to be a lot of fun and long.  I currently have a few levels left.

So, in the end I got:

1. EB Used Game Card
2. Splinter Cell (4.99)
3. KOTOR (17.99)

EP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: