http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 01:14:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox 360 worth getting if you don't have???  (Read 1090 times)
Macman777
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: November 22, 2005, 12:29:59 AM »

Hello, I am new to the site but have been lurking since the Console and Gone Gold days. So, hello everyone...now on to my question.

Is the 360 worth getting if you do not own a HD tv???

Now Playing:

Xbox 360
The Elder Scrolls IV
GRAW
The Outfit
BF2: MC

Playstation 2
Kingdom Hearts 2

PC
DDO
BF 2
RO - Ostfront 41 - 45
mikeg
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 12:38:28 AM »

From the comparison shots I have seen, if you are hoping for a vast improvement in graphics, I would say no.  If, however, you just want to be able to actually play the games like Kameo, Condemned, etc, then by all means.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 12:43:07 AM »

I'm like you, wondering the same thing...and I've decided that before I get a 360, I gotta get an HDtv.  From pretty much any review I've read, it seems like the HD part of it makes the games really shine, and without an HDtv, it doesn't scream next-gen.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Macman777
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 01:44:06 AM »

I just hate *if true, which it seems to be the case* to have to go out and buy a new tv *HD* to play the next gen in gaming consoles and games...argh! Guess I will stick with the older consoles *xbox, playstation 2* and my PC.

Now Playing:

Xbox 360
The Elder Scrolls IV
GRAW
The Outfit
BF2: MC

Playstation 2
Kingdom Hearts 2

PC
DDO
BF 2
RO - Ostfront 41 - 45
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005, 01:51:04 AM »

Yeah, same boat.

My kids don't play their X-box much at all. Maybe I should just invest some time in it.(Never played it).

I can't afford a major computer upgrade, which I need to do to keep playing newer games...
I wont buy a HD-TV just for a gaming platform...I would love a HDTV anyway, but again, monies the thing.

What games really shine on the old X-BoX?

I've played most PC RPG games, and was a avid MMORPG player.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005, 02:12:52 AM »

Just a thought here, about what my family and I did.

A lot of places have 2 years/no interest deals and such, if you qualify. You have to make a monthly payment, but you can get a good CRT HDTV (~$750-$1k) for approximately $50/month. Just don't miss a payment.

We took advantage of this a couple of years back at Best Buy for our current set. Even on the current crop of consoles, it's night and day (for the games that support it) from HD and non-HD. And that's just 480p! (Which really isn't HD, but SD- the true HD spec is 720p and up.) It's one of those things that images can't really convey; you have to see it in action. It's been the best console gaming purchases we've made, IMO.

It does spoil you, though. One of my favorite series is the Sly Cooper set of games. And none of them support 480p!
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 02:39:05 AM »

You could always get a vga cable and play on your computer monitor

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 02:41:26 AM »

Quote from: "th'FOOL"
You could always get a vga cable and play on your computer monitor

Bingo.  I may go this route first.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2005, 03:01:18 AM »

Even without HD, you are still getting massive improvements in visual quality just thanks to all of the improved polygon counts and lighting and particle models.
WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2005, 08:01:50 PM »

I have a regular 32"tv and it's looks fantastic...i'm sure HDTV is impressive, but i'm pretty happy with what I have
Luke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2005, 09:00:01 PM »

Much better than Xbox 1 looks on your regular t.v., Working Mike?  There's no way I'll be able to spring the $1 - 3k needed for a HDtv in the next 5 years; I simply can't justify it.
WorkingMike
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2005, 03:27:59 AM »

In my opinion, yes....I would put it visually above Xbox games like SC:Chaos Theory or Rebel Commando, which i personally thought looked fantastic considering the age of the system. Particles and lighting are much improved and the little touches stand out alot. No real jaggies either, which is cool. I have mine plugged in through composite cables and I'm really happy with it.

I had the same fears, regarding missing out visually due to not owning an HD set, but for me it's been proven a non issue. I really can't imaging spending more than 600 or so on a television.

and on a side note, for some reason Need for Speed Most Wanted is my favorite game, eclipsing even PGR3 and Perfect Dark Zero...kind of surprised me
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: