http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 08:22:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox 360 vs Playstation 3  (Read 7371 times)
Tustin1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2005, 03:39:09 AM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
You may be right but I find it just to conicidental to be random that last gen Xbox was more powerful and power mattered, now Xbox has better tools/easier development....and look it is ease of development that is important!

On a bit of a side note - the PS2 was reported to be difficult to develop for, much as they are saying the PS3 will be.  Remind me again, who won this generation's console war?

My Current Sig.
Visit me at: Chunite
Fellow
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2005, 06:35:09 AM »

Considerably less so than the PS2, mind. And besides, those difficulties didn't stop developers from creating some great games for the console anyways.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2005, 06:43:09 AM »

I'm pretty sure I'm going with the PS3. Can't really see any good reasons to go with the Xbox 360 other than it has a decent controller for FPS games. They wont support a keyboard/mouse, you'll never see any type of web browsing (at least not officially) but all you have to do is look at the PS3 and it'll do just about everything the 360 won't.
Plus Sony's support on backwards compatiblity (going all the way back the original playstation) is impressive.
I know I'll still be playing games like Tribes and the upcoming Battlefield 2 and Battlefront 2 even when the ps3 comes out - just on the ps3 instead of the ps2.
Can we say that about the Xbox 360 with absolute confidence? What about older games like Circus Maximus (one of my favorite xbox games even as bad as it sold) that you still woudn't mind playing every once in a while?

The more the merrier means the more game consoles that go out of business. From the 3DO to the Atari Jaguar to the NEO GEO and the CD-I. Competition is good but there's always going to be a winner and sadly, sometime that winning comes at the expense of the other console. (Sega Dreamcast, anyone?)

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2005, 11:33:08 AM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
I'm pretty sure I'm going with the PS3. Can't really see any good reasons to go with the Xbox 360 other than it has a decent controller for FPS games. They wont support a keyboard/mouse, you'll never see any type of web browsing (at least not officially) but all you have to do is look at the PS3 and it'll do just about everything the 360 won't.
Plus Sony's support on backwards compatiblity (going all the way back the original playstation) is impressive.
I know I'll still be playing games like Tribes and the upcoming Battlefield 2 and Battlefront 2 even when the ps3 comes out - just on the ps3 instead of the ps2.
Can we say that about the Xbox 360 with absolute confidence? What about older games like Circus Maximus (one of my favorite xbox games even as bad as it sold) that you still woudn't mind playing every once in a while?

The more the merrier means the more game consoles that go out of business. From the 3DO to the Atari Jaguar to the NEO GEO and the CD-I. Competition is good but there's always going to be a winner and sadly, sometime that winning comes at the expense of the other console. (Sega Dreamcast, anyone?)

Curiously how can you be so certain that PS3 will have these features come release?  They have already begun cutting features.  Until the final system specs come out no one knows what it will do.  (Also due to the integration with WMC, one never knows what might be streamable to the 360 from the PC).
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2005, 12:41:44 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
Curiously how can you be so certain that PS3 will have these features come release?  They have already begun cutting features.  Until the final system specs come out no one knows what it will do.  (Also due to the integration with WMC, one never knows what might be streamable to the 360 from the PC).

I don't think anyone can be certain, but this would be the most boring thread ever if we stuck only to what we are certain about.  We have many details about the 360 but not all I would bet, and practically none about the PS3.  So there really isn't much to say but someone started the thread! smile

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2005, 02:17:02 PM »

Has Microsoft officially ruled out use of mouse/keyboard for games?   The controller inputs are USB.......
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2005, 04:16:29 PM »

Quote from: "msduncan"
Has Microsoft officially ruled out use of mouse/keyboard for games?   The controller inputs are USB.......

There are screenshots of the 360 controller with a RIM style keyboard on it. I dunno if it was doctored or not.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2005, 04:18:17 PM »

TEH PHANTOM3Z FOR TEH W1N!!bang!!!!11!1!eleventyoneittyoneone!!!1!!1111!!!!

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2005, 05:01:21 PM »

I'm in the 360 camp to start...  I bought XBox and PS2 this time around; but I think my gaming time has been probably 90% on the XBox.  Largely because of Live, and friends from college who I still play with.

Will I get a PS3?  Maybe eventually.  But I can swing the 360 now.  Not worth waiting a year to save maybe $50.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2005, 09:27:22 PM »

Supposedly the only thing you can use a keyboard on the 360 for is for typing (MMO's, entering your account information,etc.) but not for games.

Perhaps one of the bigger advantages of the PS3 is that it's coming with the Blu-Ray drive.
The developeror of DOA was the first to comment on how space was an issue by using standard DVDs and how Dead or Alive 4 would take up the entire disk.
With the next gen being HD-compatible games are surely going to get a lot bigger.
With the ps3, developers can put as much data as they basically want on a disc. From an intro movie to cut scenes, super graphics, loads of textures and maps, etc..

Right this second a standard DVD still does the trick but what about 3 years from now? The ps3 already has that covered. The xbox 360 is going to have to stick with regular DVDs even if they release an add-on like bluray or hd-vd because developers can't expect everyone to cough up extra $$ to upgrade their 360's.

If the Xbox 360 was backwards compatiblity (without all these problems) out of the box, came with a hd-dvd or bluray drive, and weren't so bad about making it seem "more PC like" it would definitley be the system of choice for me.
But everything I want, is on the PS3. The only single thing I like about the xbox 360 is it's controller. When playing a FPS, even though any controller pretty much sucks, it's not as bad as the ps2.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2005, 09:43:40 PM »

I am in the wait till next year camp. I like what I hear from MS, but online gaming isn't too important to me, and super-realistic graphics do nothing for me either, but they look like they will have a well rounded development field this time around.

I will probably wait until a price drop. Hopefully Nintendo will hit at the 199 price point so I won't be hurt getting that. From the sound of it, the PS3 will be as expensive if not more expensive than the 360, so that would definately mean waiting for a price drop.

In other words I am going to let all of you subsidize the costs of my gaming.

I have a PS2, Cube and DS and plenty of games to keep me busy for at least 2 more years.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2005, 05:54:15 AM »

I'll likely buy all 3.  Mostly because I'm stupid.

gellar
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: