http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 01:59:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox 360 vs Playstation 3  (Read 7337 times)
corruptrelic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2005, 03:07:57 AM »

There's plenty of this going around, but has anyone made up their mind 100% for sure which system to support?

I like both systems (but know way I can dish out $800 for both) but this generation many of us are going to have to settle with just one system.
Microsoft have a great controller for their first person shooters and have the dead or alive games.

Sony is committed to backwards compatiblity with all of their old games (ps1 and ps2) and have announced support for keyboard and mouse, which probably means there will be some decent RTS games on the ps3.
I'm sure the ps2 will be able to surf the net, play online for free (versus 5 bucks a month for xbox live) and function as more of an "all-in-one" versus the xbox 360, and of course, has blueray support built in right out of the box. Assuming blueray wins the battle against hd-dvd that's a huge advantage. Personally I only like keeping one system in front of my 27" flat screen (right now my ps2 is my game machine and dvd player) so that would help a lot down the line.

Really just looking for some more good reasons to choose the 360 over the ps3. Microsoft being so "anti-PC" about the xbox makes me want it less and less. So what if you can surf the net on your big-screen tv? If people dont like that feature then hey, simple, just dont use it!
Come this generation, especially with the ps3, it almost seems like instead of spending thousands of dollars on an expensive PC, we can spend $300-$400 on a next gen console and do almost the same thing. The only thing I use my pc for is gaming and the internet. Its just about obsolete though cant even play the age of empires 3 demo.

Any thoughts on xbox 360 vs ps3?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Tustin1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 03:22:13 AM »

PS3 all the way for me - never got on the Xbox bandwagon and don't intend on doing it now.  For me the games make the difference and for the most part, Xbox games that aren't available for the playstation, are generally available for the PC anyway.

I guess I'm a bit of a Sony fanboy - lol.

My Current Sig.
Visit me at: Chunite
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 03:58:38 AM »

360 for me

When both the PS2 and Xbox came out -- I was amazed by the Xbox's graphics and severely disappointed by the PS2's jagged craptasticness.  

Sony also has a damn history of artifially inflating their pre-launch specs and such.... always pissing me off when the end product hits the shelves.    I'm not a M$ fanboi, but I'm sick of Sony.

So there's my take!
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 04:00:58 AM »

Personally, I have no freaking idea yet because THEY AREN'T OUT YET!!!!!!  I'll wait until next year to make a decision.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 04:19:40 AM »

My Xbox has gotten the lion's share of attention this round, so I'm going with the 360 to start with.  We'll have to see about the PS3 and Revolution.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 04:23:06 AM »

From G4TV last night:

John Carmack: “Xbox 360 has far and away the best development tools”

John Carmack: “[talks about software development support]…and the hardware is comparable”

Geoff: “So you don’t think PS3 is going to more powerful [than Xbox 360]?”
John Carmack: “PS3 is probably marginally more powerful, in terms of raw flops and graphic operations, but that’s not really the best way to look at things. When you look at these development cycles that stretch over years and years, being 20% easier to develop on is much more important than being 20% more powerful.”

John Carmack: “I make little nitpicky decisions about say, well, I prefer the symmetric approach that MS has over the asymmetric Cell approach, but you can do great games on either one of them, and I make fundamental decisions based on development tools and depth of documentation, which Microsoft has been superior on.”

---------------

Say what you will about Carmack no longer being relevant, but most of the developers that have weighed in on the subject seem to be favoring the Xbox for a lot of the reasons John mentioned.  I honestly think that Microsoft will overtake Sony this go-round (and hopefully they finally make a profit doing so).  The statements and decisions that Sony have made recently reminds me of where Nintendo was 14 years ago...

For me personally, I'll be buying all 3 systems yet again.  I really like what MS has done with its expanded Live service for the 360, the indie developer friendly Live Arcade, and the Media PC Extension stuff and while the initial crop of games is kind of disappointing, I'm sure by the time the PS3 comes around the 360 library will be shaping up nicely.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2005, 04:44:15 AM »

For me personally, as much as I like rational discussions about this (and for what its worth, Dimmonna that was an excellent summary and I agree with you completely), I find this entire type of topic inflammatory and a little pointless when neither system is yet out!! It just gives us an opportunity to get into a big shouting match over nothing smile
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2005, 05:28:41 AM »

Since there are already games I know I'll want for all 3 systems - FF13 (and no doubt many other RPGs) for PS3, Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey for 360, and Nintendo's first-party (and their downloadable back catalogue) stuff, I know I'll be getting all 3 eventually.  I doubt I'll get them until they're $200 or less, but luckily, I've got a ton of current gen games to keep me busy until then smile

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2005, 05:55:34 AM »

I'm buying the Xbox360 now.  The way I see, when I finally see some in-game footage of the PS3 I will be more willing to consider it (dont even mention the MGS4 video.  That is a CGI video for all I am concerned and I will not believe otherwise until I see actual gameplay footage).  I just dont want to wait until god-knows-when 2006 to buy a console.  If you can only afford one, buy the 360 and trade it in if the PS3 is really that much better.  Also, having a more powerful console doesnt mean it is better.  Just look at the PS2 and Xbox.  Many would argue the PS2 is far superior eventhough it isnt as powerful as the Xbox.  Maybe I am just quick to jump on the new technology and want it all.  Hey, $399 is a load of money, so dont buy either unless you are positive you want it.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2005, 06:19:38 AM »

Quote from: "GatorFavre"
Many would argue the PS2 is far superior eventhough it isnt as powerful as the Xbox.

Damn good point.  So I gotta say it's impossible.  I'm really rooting for the PS3, though, more than the 360.  Don't know why.  Just am.

TheMissingLink on PSN
depward

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2005, 06:34:40 AM »

You know, I hope both systems when they're both out do well.  I hope the gap between Xbox users and PS2 users (I don't have a figure for this, but it's a guess) from this gen only gets smaller for next-gen.  That way, with first party titles and such, we can get some really quality games.

Maybe it's a dumb way of thinking about it.  But yeah.  As far as what system I'm looking for, I don't know.  I like how the Xbox 360 is going to seemingly address its lack of RPGs for this gen to the 360 by signing some notable RPG.  But I really do play the PS2 over the Xbox NOW.

So eh.  It's a toss up.  Will have to wait until both are out to really see which one I want.  Or might even get both, who knows.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2005, 07:16:01 AM »

I suspect I'll end up with all three - somehow, eventually.  I'll be in line at midnight on the 22nd for the 360, just cz I've never done that (unless Oblivion really is out, then it'll be for that reason!)... and I want to see the 360 in action, even if only on Arcade or a demo.

It looks like I'll get the systems, time-wise,  in the same order as the ratio of games I play for each.  I play mostly XBox, and it's a done deal that I'll get that at launch.  Next, I play PS2, but I can wait for the reviews and price drops on the PS3.  Finally, I'll end up with a Nintendo just because they'll have a great price point somtime - and at least a few great games I'll want to play.  I'm not quite as hyped for the old school games on the Revolution, but only because I have two NES's still set up with my favorite games.  But that will definitely be a selling point for later on.

And Calvin, what the heck? Can't we just talk about this stuff for the mere sake that we love to talk about this stuff?  C'mon, man, don't make me go all Susie on you!

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2005, 12:11:21 PM »

I only have an XBOX this gen, so naturally, I'm leaning toward 360 next gen.  However, I won't be buying either for years to come so that will give me the opportunity to do as I did this gen.  Compare all 3 systems and see which one is right for me.

I feel that I made the right choice this gen and by the time I'm ready for next, there will be enough info out and enough people to consult (points finger at screen) to help me make my decision.

As for Sony overall- I can't stand their products nor the arrogance with which they develop and deliver them.  I hate the little things they do to make them 'unique' that sacrifices usability and defacto-ness.  

Save for the PS3 (maybe), I plan to never willingly buy another sony product as long as I'm a consumer.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2005, 12:22:05 PM »

I am getting the 360 only.  

I made the right decision this gen by getting the Xbox and really don't care for Japanese RPGs, Square or MGS, and I think PGR is more fun than GT.

The only game that I must play on the PS3 is Warhawk PS3.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/651/651356p1.html
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2005, 12:31:40 PM »

I just look back before the PS2 launched when they told us The Bouncer and Kessen's cutscenes were GAMEPLAY.  

Of course, when it released....we went from:

to

We did get Fantavision though!  *cheer*  :roll:

This generation it is more smoke and mirrors from Sony - my proof:

It could end up looking like this for all we know:

Give us some GAMEPLAY shots from the PS3, not just pretend (I was insulted by the guy pretending to play Fight Night Round 3 at the Sony event) and I'll be able to make that decision.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2005, 12:41:02 PM »

I will be getting all three next gen systems as well.  I just like having all three, to have choices.  And they all look good around my widescreen TV. :wink:
Plus, it allows me to focus on the games I want to play, not having to worry about what system a game will be playable on.

This generation I tended to play the Nintendo Gamecube the most, followed by the Xbox.  I played very little of the PS2.  But again, I don't care.  All three were there for when I had the urge to play a specific game.

It's a great time to be alive! biggrin

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2005, 12:41:21 PM »

As for Sony overall- I can't stand their products nor the arrogance with which they develop and deliver them. I hate the little things they do to make them 'unique' that sacrifices usability and defacto-ness.

Odd, I tend to think that about Microsoft.  When I think about forced browser integration, media player, etc.  I see MS as the arrogant one pushing stuff and forcing everyone to play along.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2005, 12:50:38 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
I
This generation it is more smoke and mirrors from Sony - my proof:

Except those are from the 360 Madden as I recall.  In fact there was a Penny Arcade comic bitching about this

So it doesn't seem fair to pin that on Sony.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2005, 12:53:18 PM »

I own an XBOX currently and will be getting a 360 in the next round.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2005, 12:53:56 PM »

I'll go for the PS3 just because the Playstation 2 always had more games that I wanted to play. I don't see any reason why this will change for the next generation (and looking at the announced titles for XBox360, that looks like a safe bet). I like the quirky Japanese titles and the TBS games; something which never really appeared on the original XBox. The hardware specs are just secondary to me.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2005, 12:55:40 PM »

True, its not all Sony.  I'll place the blame on EA for that one.  You can't explain away Killzone though.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2005, 01:01:17 PM »

I thought that the Fight Night 3 footage -was- real-time?
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2005, 01:04:41 PM »

That is what they told us, but I've seen it replicated EXACTLY for a different demo later on.  Puts a big black shadow over my hopes for that level of realism in the game...I'm tenatively hoping to be proven wrong.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2005, 02:12:50 PM »

Bit early to decide on PS3 yet, since we really haven't, y'know, seen anything concrete of the console. Hell, even the actual design of the machine itself, along with its gamepade, might be completely different come launch date.

That said, luckily I have no strong bias against either, so I'll be getting both. One way or the other.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2005, 02:21:32 PM »

Won't be getting either for a while, but the XBox 360 seems the only sensible choice in Europe. Sony are always messing us about, and the P3 won't be out here for at least a year. The P3 will be only marginally more powerful, and most of the RPG's won't be released here. I'm pissed off that while Microsoft talks about saving PC Gaming, most of the XBox 360 games seem to be taken from former PC developers instead of trying to take on Sony. I'd love to see MS buy Rockstar or Square, instead of relying on the PC so much. Even though I've no intentions of getting a new console for a while, I'd love to see GTA 4 as an XBox exclusive. Sure I've only had an XBox for a year.
bluntman72
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2005, 02:43:08 PM »

I will get all three on the day they launch. This Gen my XBOX got the most play but I am not sure who will have the best system next Gen.  I dont believe any of the hype on the PS3 and I am still not sure about how good it will be but i know that being a sony system it is going to have some games I have to have so I will buy it the first day.

I am hoping Microsoft makes up some ground on Sony so that they put some pressure on sony to make better games and maybe stop them from doing so many exclusives. I know Microsoft is no better than sony in this matter but I figure if they both own a equal share of the market then we wont have to deal with things like putting Soul Calibur 3 on PS2 and not putting it on XBOX. I dont want Microsoft to dominate either cause they will be just as bad as Sony and EA and will buy exclusive rights to make sure no one can compete with them.

The Revolution is the one that really has me interested and I hope Nintendo manages to make a great system since I dont think the Cube got enough respect this gen.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2005, 06:34:32 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"
As for Sony overall- I can't stand their products nor the arrogance with which they develop and deliver them.  I hate the little things they do to make them 'unique' that sacrifices usability and defacto-ness.

Yep, I feel the same way about Sony.  When I see the name Sony, I expect to pay more for the brand and the style and to get less quality and substance, so I generally avoid their products unless I have little choice.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2005, 07:24:29 PM »

One thing I do find very funny about the whole debate is the importance of processing power.

When the Xbox came out fans couldn't crow loudly enough about how it was more powerful than the PS2 - in fact they still do.

However when it became clear that with the next generation Sony would have the more powerful machine suddenly raw power doesn't matter.  The comments by carmack are a prime example.  Oh, power - that isn't important!  But I remember him making comments when iD first started developing for the Xbox about how the Xbox's power was what made it the only console he would develop on.

The hypocracy of some MS fans just floors me.  It is basically whatever MS does/has is better.  They have more power that is all important, they don't...well it doesn't matter at all.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2005, 07:26:47 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
Quote from: "GatorFavre"
Many would argue the PS2 is far superior eventhough it isnt as powerful as the Xbox.

Damn good point.  So I gotta say it's impossible.  I'm really rooting for the PS3, though, more than the 360.  Don't know why.  Just am.

Because when it comes to the 360 you have had one too many glasses of haterade?

:  :wink:
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2005, 07:29:02 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
One thing I do find very funny about the whole debate is the importance of processing power.

When the Xbox came out fans couldn't crow loudly enough about how it was more powerful than the PS2 - in fact they still do.

However when it became clear that with the next generation Sony would have the more powerful machine suddenly raw power doesn't matter.  The comments by carmack are a prime example.  Oh, power - that isn't important!  But I remember him making comments when iD first started developing for the Xbox about how the Xbox's power was what made it the only console he would develop on.

The hypocracy of some MS fans just floors me.  It is basically whatever MS does/has is better.  They have more power that is all important, they don't...well it doesn't matter at all.

The rabid Sony fans are exactly the same way and you know it. Feel free to get annoyed and roll your eyes at the hypocrisy of the MS fans. You are absolutely correct. But to pretend for one second that Sony or Nintendo fans don't act the exact same way is just silly. It doesn't make it right of course, but its the prevalent attitude of all hardcore blinder fans.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2005, 07:29:31 PM »

Quote from: "mytocles"
I suspect I'll end up with all three - somehow, eventually.  I'll be in line at midnight on the 22nd for the 360, just cz I've never done that (unless Oblivion really is out, then it'll be for that reason!)... and I want to see the 360 in action, even if only on Arcade or a demo.

It looks like I'll get the systems, time-wise,  in the same order as the ratio of games I play for each.  I play mostly XBox, and it's a done deal that I'll get that at launch.  Next, I play PS2, but I can wait for the reviews and price drops on the PS3.  Finally, I'll end up with a Nintendo just because they'll have a great price point somtime - and at least a few great games I'll want to play.  I'm not quite as hyped for the old school games on the Revolution, but only because I have two NES's still set up with my favorite games.  But that will definitely be a selling point for later on.

And Calvin, what the heck? Can't we just talk about this stuff for the mere sake that we love to talk about this stuff?  C'mon, man, don't make me go all Susie on you!

I heart you and have saved that image smile
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2005, 07:32:02 PM »

On the processor power debate.... I think in current gen, the hardware was the limiting factor to what a developer could do.  Now with the hardware being much faster in the 360 and PS3, it is no longer limiting, so ease of development etc. become more important.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2005, 07:32:29 PM »

Eh, in all these <blank> vs. <blank> arguments, the best in people come out. Hell, controlled as it is, it's present even in this thread. It is what it is.

Heck, create a PC vs. Console thread, and watch the magic happen. smile

All that said, I agree with Arkon. I doubt hardware's going to be the bigger limiting factor this time. Rather, it all comes down to software. X360's we've seen, PS3's... not so much yet.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2005, 07:36:53 PM »

Quote from: "Calvin"

The rabid Sony fans are exactly the same way and you know it. Feel free to get annoyed and roll your eyes at the hypocrisy of the MS fans. You are absolutely correct. But to pretend for one second that Sony or Nintendo fans don't act the exact same way is just silly. It doesn't make it right of course, but its the prevalent attitude of all hardcore blinder fans.

'zactly.

"OMG! NINTENDO SI SO INNOVATAVE AND ITS ALL ABOUT TEH GAMEPLAYZ!!"

"OMG! SONY RUELZ YOU CAN"T ARGUE WITH CELLL POWAR AND FINAL FANTISYS!!"

"OMG! XOBX RAWKS UR FACE! FIRST OUT THE GATE IS WINNAR!"
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2005, 08:06:18 PM »

I can honestly say that I hope all 3 of the big guns are successful.  I dont see any reason for hoping one does better than the other.  I hope they all three are able to compete and deliever quality first party games.  The more the merrier!

warning

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2005, 08:23:08 PM »

You know the odd thing is I actually like the way this-gen games look.  I have a Gamecube, PS2, a DS and a pretty good PC and I think the graphics on them all look great.  Nicer graphics are... nice but worth $400 when I still haven't run out of good games for my current systems?  Nah.

I was pretty sure I'd buy an Xbox 360 for awhile and I'm sure I will eventually but for now I'll probably buy someone's old Xbox and check that out.  And a PSP.  I want one for Christmas.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2005, 08:23:41 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
On the processor power debate.... I think in current gen, the hardware was the limiting factor to what a developer could do.  Now with the hardware being much faster in the 360 and PS3, it is no longer limiting, so ease of development etc. become more important.

You may be right but I find it just to conicidental to be random that last gen Xbox was more powerful and power mattered, now Xbox has better tools/easier development....and look it is ease of development that is important!

Now personally I own all three current consoles (as well as a DS and PSP) so I hope they all suceed.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2005, 08:28:42 PM »

Quote from: "Calvin"

I agree but so far I haven't heard the Sony or Nintendo "spin" on why they are better.  On the other hand I have read a lot of MS's "spin"  

That is natural because the 360 is just around the corner whereas the rest of players are far away.  

I promise you this when I hear the Sony party line I will point out how it is hypocritical as well.

Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2005, 08:44:45 PM »

You may be right but I find it just to conicidental to be random that last gen Xbox was more powerful and power mattered, now Xbox has better tools/easier development....and look it is ease of development that is important!

The graphics for most Xbox games are better than most PS2 games, with less framerate slowdown, IMHO.  There are a few exceptions (GT4, God of War), but that's the general trend.  Right now, the graphics of both look very similar.  Granted we haven't seen a lot of real-time play of the PS3, but all indications right now are showing them to be equal.  (That could change, but we have a while to go.)  When factors like graphics/sound/controller are more or less equal, then something like development tools could cause developers to move towards one console over another.  However, sales figures of either could also determine that.

I will be getting an Xbox 360.  Eventually I'll most likely get a PS3, but I want to get more information about it.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2005, 10:06:32 PM »

I go for the ps3.... I always loved Playstation and the games.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: