http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 12:26:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox 360 used more for video/music apps than for gaming  (Read 438 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: March 27, 2012, 11:08:28 PM »

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/167350/Consumers_using_Xbox_Live_for_media_more_t%20han_gaming.php

Households are spending an increasing amount of time with the Xbox 360's online platform -- and they spend more than half of their time watching videos and listening to music, instead of playing games.

The popularity of Xbox Live's entertainment offerings is evidence that Microsoft's "trojan horse" strategy for its Xbox 360, which aims to set up the gaming system as a digital media hub installed in people's living rooms, is working.

"What we're seeing is that people are turning on the Xbox to play games and then keeping it on afterwards to get other types of entertainment," said Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Division SVP Yusuf Mehdi, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Consumers spend an average of 84 hours a month on Xbox Live playing online games, and checking out videos and music -- 30 percent more than they spent a year ago. For comparison, households spend about 150 hours a month watching TV on average.

personally I find myself spending more time on Netflix than 360 games too.  of course that's more gaming time than my other consoles combined; my PC is my gaming workhorse nowadays.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 11:10:03 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 02:11:23 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 27, 2012, 11:08:28 PM

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/167350/Consumers_using_Xbox_Live_for_media_more_t%20han_gaming.php

Households are spending an increasing amount of time with the Xbox 360's online platform -- and they spend more than half of their time watching videos and listening to music, instead of playing games.

The popularity of Xbox Live's entertainment offerings is evidence that Microsoft's "trojan horse" strategy for its Xbox 360, which aims to set up the gaming system as a digital media hub installed in people's living rooms, is working.

"What we're seeing is that people are turning on the Xbox to play games and then keeping it on afterwards to get other types of entertainment," said Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Division SVP Yusuf Mehdi, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Consumers spend an average of 84 hours a month on Xbox Live playing online games, and checking out videos and music -- 30 percent more than they spent a year ago. For comparison, households spend about 150 hours a month watching TV on average.

personally I find myself spending more time on Netflix than 360 games too.  of course that's more gaming time than my other consoles combined; my PC is my gaming workhorse nowadays.

With this is mind, why in their right mind would MS push for a new console? It just doesn't make any sense, the 360 is still selling well in the US. Games on it still look good. I understand that the gaming press expects them to because it's been longer then 5 years since the 360 was introduced, but I'm not seeing a real demand for a new console outside of the gaming press and "hardcore" gamers...
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 12:15:01 PM »

MS just recently announced there were no plans for a new Xbox anytime soon so not sure who's pushing for it.

As for the article I'm the opposite I use my 360 exclusively for singleplayer gaming, see no point of paying for Live just to use netflix when I can do it for free on my PS3, PC, or even Android phone.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 12:21:23 PM »

Quote from: Calavera on March 28, 2012, 02:11:23 AM

With this is mind, why in their right mind would MS push for a new console? It just doesn't make any sense, the 360 is still selling well in the US. Games on it still look good. I understand that the gaming press expects them to because it's been longer then 5 years since the 360 was introduced, but I'm not seeing a real demand for a new console outside of the gaming press and "hardcore" gamers...

if they are pushing for a new console it's probably so they're not the last out of the gate in the next generation, which, for better or worse, Nintendo is kicking it off this fall.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 01:22:58 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on March 28, 2012, 12:15:01 PM

MS just recently announced there were no plans for a new Xbox anytime soon so not sure who's pushing for it.

As for the article I'm the opposite I use my 360 exclusively for singleplayer gaming, see no point of paying for Live just to use netflix when I can do it for free on my PS3, PC, or even Android phone.

I didn't know you needed Gold for Netflix.  That's stupid.

It works better on the PS3 anyway.  I use my PS3 more for video watching than gaming at this point, I'll admit.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 02:03:34 PM »

See, I keep seeing lipsync problems when using Netflix on the PS3.  I'm going to try and experiment and kill my gold subscription at the end of April, and see if I can deal with Netflix on the PS3, but might wind up going back to the 360 for it.  I'll also miss being able to use voice commands to pause videos.  I've become strangely attached to it.

I definitely use my consoles more for media than games, but lately, I barely play any games on any systems.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 02:35:42 PM »

The voice sync thing does happen, I've noticed.  It usually fixes with an exit and restart, but it's annoying when it happens, for sure.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 06:38:03 PM »

I think it's absolutely rediculous that you require a Gold sub for Netflix.

We cancelled cable, and do a lot of Netflix watching.  I have it running on 3 TV's, with PS3, Wii and 360.

I don't do anything on the 360 that requires Gold, other than Netflix.
When this 360 dies, I will be replacing it with a PS3.. a much more user friendly media streamer.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 06:39:41 PM by El-Producto » Logged

"Goonies never say die"
Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 06:44:58 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on March 28, 2012, 06:38:03 PM

I think it's absolutely rediculous that you require a Gold sub for Netflix.

We cancelled cable, and do a lot of Netflix watching.  I have it running on 3 TV's, with PS3, Wii and 360.

I don't do anything on the 360 that requires Gold, other than Netflix.
When this 360 dies, I will be replacing it with a PS3.. a much more user friendly media streamer.

I'm surprised that this comes up every time the 360 as a media box comes up. There are some costs that MS has to bear to provide the Netflix App. More importantly, it gets a lot of people to buy Gold Subs (yeah, it's the real reason).

Might I suggest a Roku box? It's $50 for a 720p box and it does DD5.1 (no point in 1080p anyway, Netflix doesn't stream it for almost everything). No annual Gold sub required. Works quite well and if you pair it with an Amazon Prime membership you can even avoid the $9/mo to Netflix.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 06:46:50 PM by Calavera » Logged
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 06:49:40 PM »

Why then can Sony and Nintendo provide the app free of charge?

Yeah, I might look into a Roku or other streaming box as well.

"Goonies never say die"
Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 07:18:46 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on March 28, 2012, 06:49:40 PM

Why then can Sony and Nintendo provide the app free of charge?

Yeah, I might look into a Roku or other streaming box as well.

It's really just to move Gold subs now. It's a desirable feature, they're bundling it with something people might not otherwise buy. People complain, but buy it anyway. It at least made some sense when they had the party feature because it was using MS's servers for VoIP/"matchmaking". Now that it's been removed, it doesn't make as much sense.
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 07:43:59 PM »

Anyway, it's not a huge deal.

I just buy codes for 30 bucks from people at CAG.

Still beats the hell out of paying for cable.

"Goonies never say die"
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 09:39:49 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on March 28, 2012, 02:35:42 PM

The voice sync thing does happen, I've noticed.  It usually fixes with an exit and restart, but it's annoying when it happens, for sure.
Happens to me too like once per episode.  Usually I just back it up a few frames (d-pad left 2 or 3 times; enough to make it re-buffer) then I'm good for the rest of the show.

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 04:45:14 AM »

This is comparing online gaming to other services, not all gaming on the 360.

Sent from Tapatalk
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 02:41:25 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on March 29, 2012, 04:45:14 AM

This is comparing online gaming to other services, not all gaming on the 360.

Sent from Tapatalk

Agreed. They're talking about gold subscribers actually using more than just the online games.

I don't know if that speaks volumes about the other services, or the disgust at the human chaff that can be found in public games online (as opposed to on the couch with you).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 03:15:06 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 28, 2012, 12:21:23 PM

if they are pushing for a new console it's probably so they're not the last out of the gate in the next generation, which, for better or worse, Nintendo is kicking it off this fall.

Nintendo isn't kicking off the next generation with the Wii U, if that's what you're referring to. They're finally catching up with the current generation. When the real next generation shows up, the Wii U will look horribly outdated.
Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 03:23:44 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on March 29, 2012, 03:15:06 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on March 28, 2012, 12:21:23 PM

Nintendo isn't kicking off the next generation with the Wii U, if that's what you're referring to. They're finally catching up with the current generation. When the real next generation shows up, the Wii U will look horribly outdated.

I think Nintendo has pretty much confirmed that they aren't doing the spec-race any more. They're just trying to do interesting control schemes instead.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: