http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 11:49:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox 360 Update  (Read 1626 times)
msduncan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« on: December 18, 2005, 03:53:41 PM »

Well, at the urging of my wife a friend and I went to Best Buy at midnight and pitched chairs to camp.    We camped in the cold (and rain - though we were under a shelter) for 8 hours.

When the Best Buy folks emerged to hand out the tickets just before opening....  I found out that I was 3 spots away from the last guy to get one.     So once again I've come up empty.

This has been a LOOONG and very cold night.   I'm headed off the bed now.    frown
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2005, 03:57:35 PM »

:cry:

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005, 03:57:59 PM »

You and I just posted at the same moment.  Otherwise, I would have put this in this thread instead.

Sorry you came up empty, too.

-Autistic Angel
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2005, 04:01:28 PM »

frown
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2005, 04:22:12 PM »

Ouch. Damn...

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Velvet Elvis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2005, 04:38:53 PM »

They had 24 consoles at Best Buy and I was number 27.  Ran down to Circuit City and was 3rd in line... they had 2.  frown

I did get a free Krispy Kreme!
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2005, 05:10:34 PM »

I waited from midnight to a little after 5am with some very nice and friendly folks.  Most of the people around me were parents that were trying to go above and beyond for their sons.  In an effort to self organize and prevent a mad rush, we even created our own list with our waiting #s.  When 2 BB employees came out at 5:20, they asked that everyone get up from their camp stools and chairs, and form a new line on them.  Those of us in the rear of the line had no idea what was going on, and knew we were in trouble when a mad rush of people all bolted to form up into a new line.  62 tickets were handed out, I was 71.  What's especially frustrating is that the people that were 55-62 in line, who had been patiently waiting since the previous night, none of them got a ticket.  The crazy idea to reform the line allowed people to rush into new positions.  

That particular BB could have handled that much better.  In fact, the first BB I went to earlier that night had calmly handed out their tickets at about midnight, which made it very clear who should stay and camp.  

I have to say that this launch, from November to now, really sucks.  Just in my part of the line, seeing 8 dejected parents go home at 5:20am empty handed stunk.  All of whom had been doing the morning circuit of visiting target, CC, walmart and BB before work.  I'm floored by how far parents will go for their children, to include sitting in below 30 weather for 5 hours to come home with nothing.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2005, 05:29:26 PM »

Quote from: "Roguetad"
That particular BB could have handled that much better.

I would have rioted. "You owe my son a 360. Say hello to Mr. Crowbar. Merry fucking Christmas, bitches!"

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
soulbringer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2005, 01:16:22 AM »

Yeah, Im sorry but if i had camped out and they reformed the line you damn well better believe i would be in the same spot when they reformed or some heads would roll.   :evil:
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2005, 03:00:46 AM »

Yeah, agreed.  That's just wrong.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2005, 03:52:31 AM »

There was already a line formed up in front of them.  They could've easily walked down that handing out tickets.  Instead, they tried to instill "order" where it wasn't needed (because it already existed) and just mucked things up.  Sounds like Best Buy should examine what worked and didn't work at the various stores and come up with a corporate policy for these type situations.  I know if I lost my place in line because of some blue-poloed monkey's stupid decisions, Best Buy corporate'd be hearing from me.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Console Games Best Player
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2005, 03:26:42 PM »

Just in my part of the line, seeing 8 dejected parents go home at 5:20am empty handed stunk.  

LOL. They can get one on Amazon for $1200 for premiumw/ no bundle if they love their kids enough. LOLOLO.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000B43OY4

Have you beaten 1,658 games?  I have.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2005, 06:45:34 PM »

Quote from: "Console Games Best Player"
Just in my part of the line, seeing 8 dejected parents go home at 5:20am empty handed stunk.  

LOL. They can get one on Amazon for $1200 for premiumw/ no bundle if they love their kids enough. LOLOLO.

Too much sugar this morning CGBP?  Go easy on the donuts and pudding snack packs, or at least wait for the ritalin to kick in first.

We were "lucky" in that our line attracted a small group of profiteers scalping xbox 360s stashed away in their cars.  So concerning your very helpful advice, they didn't even have to click on the internet that night if they did in fact love their children enough, as you suggest.  All they had to do was drop 2-3 times the retail value of the 360 to demonstrate their love.  

I asked all of the scalpers individually why they were working the line in 28 degree weather, why not just sell on eBay?  They all said frustratingly that people were only joke-bidding on their units, or not bidding at all.  They had their units up for auction since a few days after launch.  When I asked why they were still asking 2-3 times retail value that night when they weren't getting any serious hits on eBay, they all seemed to think it wasn't worth their while to sell for any less than 2 times retail value.  Despite the disappointment early that morning, the scalpers left about an hour after the tickets were handed out, with no takers.  I guess we live in a world where parents just don't love their kids enough.
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2005, 06:52:39 PM »

Too much sugar this morning CGBP?  Go easy on the donuts and pudding snack packs, or at least wait for the ritalin to kick in first.

We were "lucky" in that our line attracted a small group of profiteers scalping xbox 360s stashed away in their cars.  So concerning your very helpful advice, they didn't even have to click on the internet that night if they did in fact love their children enough, as you suggest.  All they had to do was drop 2-3 times the retail value of the 360 to demonstrate their love.  

I asked all of the scalpers individually why they were working the line in 28 degree weather, why not just sell on eBay?  They all said frustratingly that people were only joke-bidding on their units, or not bidding at all.  They had their units up for auction since a few days after launch.  When I asked why they were still asking 2-3 times retail value that night when they weren't getting any serious hits on eBay, they all seemed to think it wasn't worth their while to sell for any less than 2 times retail value.  Despite the disappointment early that morning, the scalpers left about an hour after the tickets were handed out, with no takers.  I guess we live in a world where parents just don't love their kids enough.

Roguetad -- this story made me day.

Thanks!    smile
Kev199
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2005, 07:09:05 PM »

I remember on launch day walking around a mall and seeing a whole stack of Core systems in FYE.  No line, just nobody thought about looking there yet I guess.  Of course, they were gone by the next day.
Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2005, 08:28:42 PM »

Great story, Roguetad. Screw the scalpers.

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
Console Games Best Player
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2005, 11:14:28 PM »

Yeah nice story. I like it that they got screwed. Don't think I am on the side of scalpers.  :lol:

If material goods are not how they show their love then why were they so 'dejected' you say? how is that more sad than many dejected gamers who did not get one?  just tell your kids,

"the MS launch was fucked up so we couldn't get you one but we tried. We didn't want to get raped by scalpers so we ask you to wait we will get one when there are some available."

Don't swear or anything but say the same thing.Then go fishing or buy them other cool stuff.

Also I jave been off ritalin for 3 years but I had honeycomb cereal.

Have you beaten 1,658 games?  I have.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: