http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 04:38:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
 
   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xbox 360 to get processor upgrade in 2007  (Read 1110 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
ChaoZ
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 608


View Profile
« on: April 21, 2006, 02:18:34 PM »

Quote from Joystiq:
Quote
In a joint announcement, Microsoft and the manufacturer of the Xbox 360's CPU, Chartered Semiconductor, have announced that the console's processor will receive an upgrade in 2007. The upgrade will move the chip's design to a 65nm manufacturing process (the existing CPU is based on 90nm technology) which will provide lower power consumption and a smaller heat output. It's expected that the upgrade will not alter the processor's performance as this could cause compatibility issues with games already released or currently under development for the Xbox 360.


That's the final nail on the coffin of me getting the Xbox 360 this year. Heating issues are a big part of the problems associated with the console's launch woes.

I was planning on picking up a system in November or December, but now, I will wait for this new processor to surface. Revolution will take the place of that purchase.

Anybody else think it was a mistake for Microsoft to announce this?
Logged
Devil
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 7742



View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 02:36:51 PM »

Doesn't everyone make changes to their design throughout the life of the product?

Xbox, PS2, GameCube, etc.. Nintendo updates their handhelds once a week!

You could make excuses for waiting forever.
Logged

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13976


View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 02:58:28 PM »

This is pretty standard and is the whole basis for the PSOne and PS2 Slimline releases.  I'm surprised they are announcing it this early but barring a complete redesign of the case I can't imagine this having much effect on sales.
Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 15844


▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start


View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 03:06:43 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
This is pretty standard and is the whole basis for the PSOne and PS2 Slimline releases.  I'm surprised they are announcing it this early but barring a complete redesign of the case I can't imagine this having much effect on sales.

While that's true, it is really weird to see it happen so early in the console's lifespan.

Then again, as stated above, heat and power consumption are VERY big issues with the 360 right now. I mean, when some people have to purchase a battery backup type device just to make sure the console gets enough juice, you know you have a problem.
Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
ChaoZ
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 608


View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 03:13:15 PM »

To me, it almost seems like Microsoft is admitting that they've pushed a flawed (definition of flawed varies) product out the door. Making a CPU upgrade this early on in a console's life just seems really odd.

The PSOne came out like five years after the original PSX and the PS2 Slim came out about the same time after the original PS2. Granted, there've been hardware revisions within that time, but I don't recall anything as major as this.

I'm not planning to wait forever, but since my original plans were to buy in November or December anyway, why not get version 1.1 instead of version 1.0?

On a side note, since power consumption is reduced as well, perhaps we've seen the last of the Xbox 360's current massive power brick?
Logged
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6073


View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 03:20:28 PM »

Quote from: "ChaoZ"
To me, it almost seems like Microsoft is admitting that they've pushed a flawed (definition of flawed varies) product out the door. Making a CPU upgrade this early on in a console's life just seems really odd.

The PSOne came out like five years after the original PSX and the PS2 Slim came out about the same time after the original PS2. Granted, there've been hardware revisions within that time, but I don't recall anything as major as this.

I'm not planning to wait forever, but since my original plans were to buy in November or December anyway, why not get version 1.1 instead of version 1.0?

On a side note, since power consumption is reduced as well, perhaps we've seen the last of the Xbox 360's current massive power brick?


All it says is 2007.  If it is end of 2007 that would be a full 2 years after release.  With newer technology, 2 years is like a lifetime in refining.  They are just continuing to improve the system.. They had to release it at some point.
Logged
ChaoZ
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 608


View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 03:26:57 PM »

Quote
Chartered Semiconductor Manufacturing (Nasdaq: CHRT and SGX-ST: Chartered), one of the world's top dedicated semiconductor foundries, has signed an agreement with Microsoft for the manufacturing of CPU products-using 65-nanometer (nm) Silicon-on-Insulator (SOI) semiconductor technology -for Microsoft's Xbox 360 game consoles. Production is expected to begin in the first quarter of 2007, and will support the Xbox 360's growing demand and expanding market reach. The announcement follows Chartered's successful manufacturing of 90nm SOI CPU products for the Xbox 360 console's launch, through an agreement with IBM.


Emphasis mine.
Logged
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 7849


Hard partier


View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2006, 04:00:31 PM »

Quote from: "ChaoZ"
Quote
Chartered Semiconductor Manufacturing (Nasdaq: CHRT and SGX-ST: Chartered), one of the world's top dedicated semiconductor foundries, has signed an agreement with Microsoft for the manufacturing of CPU products-using 65-nanometer (nm) Silicon-on-Insulator (SOI) semiconductor technology -for Microsoft's Xbox 360 game consoles. Production is expected to begin in the first quarter of 2007, and will support the Xbox 360's growing demand and expanding market reach. The announcement follows Chartered's successful manufacturing of 90nm SOI CPU products for the Xbox 360 console's launch, through an agreement with IBM.


Emphasis mine.


So probably Christmas of 2007 which lets them fight it out with the other two that should be out by then. With Sony you never know. slywink I was against getting the 360 for a variety of reasons and now I'll add this to the list. I may pick it up in '08. Thanks MS for saving me some money to spend elsewhere. biggrin
Logged

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
farley2k
Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3021



View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2006, 04:07:36 PM »

Quote
All it says is 2007. If it is end of 2007 that would be a full 2 years after release. With newer technology, 2 years is like a lifetime in refining. They are just continuing to improve the system.. They had to release it at some point.


True but now (as we have seen from comments already) users know that if they wait they will get a better machine.  

Sure eveyone does this to some degree but why hurt sales now for something which is at best 8 months away?  Why hurt your Christmass sales?
Logged

warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 7328



View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2006, 04:18:01 PM »

Maybe they'll integrate HD-DVD also.
Logged
ChaoZ
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 608


View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2006, 04:23:47 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
Maybe they'll integrate HD-DVD also.


There's also a story on Joystiq that Microsoft plans to launch the HD-DVD attachment at the $100 price point. Don't know if that's actually doable.

The article also says to expect a price drop of $100 in Q4. Hah!
Logged
Darren8r
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1138


I like video games


View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2006, 06:11:34 PM »

Well the 360 sounds great and all, but I'll wait to buy a completed console.

I frequently move my consoles around my house to whatever TV is free, so I wouldnt really want to have to worry about a HD-DVD player hanging from my Xbox as I try to carry it down a flight of stairs. But then again it might burn my hands because it will still be circulating heat around inside of it from last time I used it and I might toss it up in the air and it would just fall a bust.


Ok maybe I'm going over the top(yes I'am  Tongue )

Well the upgrade sounds like a good idea and I dont have any plans to purchase any next gen console until 2007 anyways.
Logged

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
gellar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 8913


I'm a dolphin!


View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2006, 06:13:45 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
Quote
All it says is 2007. If it is end of 2007 that would be a full 2 years after release. With newer technology, 2 years is like a lifetime in refining. They are just continuing to improve the system.. They had to release it at some point.


True but now (as we have seen from comments already) users know that if they wait they will get a better machine.  

Sure eveyone does this to some degree but why hurt sales now for something which is at best 8 months away?  Why hurt your Christmass sales?


Cause the majority of the users won't care.  The games are the same.  Internals don't matter for crap for Joe User, so long as the system works.  Certainly there are some that will wait, but I'd wager to guess that number is rather insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

As has been mentioned before, this is not anything new.  Sony's PS2 changed a LOT over the first few years, particularly involving their DVD drivers, which were awful to start.  I remember having to load some software on a memory card just to get my DVD to work properly.  

gellar
Logged
Farscry
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4001



View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2006, 06:20:20 PM »

I'm surprised this is even an announcement.  Consoles go through unannounced hardware revisions throughout their lifespan of production; that's why they have those model numbers encoded on the shell of the product in most cases, makes it quick for the company to identify what might be the problem with your particular unit if you call tech support.

There were several revisions of the PS2 that I know of prior to the new slim model that came out late in the system's lifespan.
Logged

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
gellar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 8913


I'm a dolphin!


View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2006, 06:21:14 PM »

Quote from: "Farscry"
I'm surprised this is even an announcement.  Consoles go through unannounced hardware revisions throughout their lifespan of production; that's why they have those model numbers encoded on the shell of the product in most cases, makes it quick for the company to identify what might be the problem with your particular unit if you call tech support.

There were several revisions of the PS2 that I know of prior to the new slim model that came out late in the system's lifespan.


I'm fairly certain there were PS2 announcements, they just weren't as well publicized.

gellar
Logged
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 20972



View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2006, 09:38:21 PM »

There are 14 current revisions to the PS2, in addition to a completely new form factor. This isn't a big thing at all.
Logged

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
JCC
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2359


View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2006, 09:47:04 PM »

I think it's silly for console makers to announce things like this a full year in advance. I would hold off on these types of announcements until right up to the beginning of production of the new units. It seems to do nothing but disuade people from purchasing now. Is there any advantage to announcing this?
Logged

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 20972



View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2006, 10:41:46 PM »

I wouldn't announce it at all. smile
Logged

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
gellar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 8913


I'm a dolphin!


View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2006, 10:45:28 PM »

They probably announced because if they didn't, as soon as it leaked (and it would leak), the press would go all apeshit about how MS is trying cover up "flawed" 360 plans and sneak in fixes.

gellar
Logged
Andrew Mallon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1900


View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2006, 11:15:36 PM »

This really isn't an upgrade, just a manufacturing process refinement. I'm  sure Microsoft  is eager to switch over to a 65nm process simply because it'll cut manufacturing costs quite a bit. As to why there doing it now, my guess is that their fabs that they contract out to produce the chips simply weren't equipped to create 65nm chips until now.

I'm sure there are lots of reasons to defer buying a 360 until 2007, but honestly, to hold off  because of this is just silly.
Logged
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 16378



View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2006, 05:40:10 AM »

the only game i have had 'issues' with is oblivion.....i thought it was my 360,but it turns out that the oblivion team are releasing a patch for the game soon
Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Jumangi
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1774



View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2006, 06:28:50 AM »

There's nothing flawed about MS choice. In fact they don't have much choice as to when this stuff happens. Its up to the semiconductor companies when this stuff starts to roll out.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.35 seconds with 68 queries. (Pretty URLs adds 0.032s, 2q)